Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

How many Droys are there now??

Being run as a business, does not unfortunately translate easily to being a successful football club. 

No idea, it seems coincidental though

Disagree.  Businesses are often well managed people operations.  Finance trades not so much.

6 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Start to season:
L. Martinez - 5 goals and 1 assist in 4 league games
Vlahovic - 4 goals and 1 assist in 4 league games
Oshimen - 3 goals in 4 league games

Jackson isn't at their level but they also have better players around them. Yes we have talented youngsters but that doesn't win you games, we don't have a single player in their mid 20's hitting their peak in the final third.

We could have easily given 24-25 year olds 7 year contracts and sold them around 30 years old if the aim was to recuperate on them.  Instead we've chucked together a bunch of young players who are largely unproven.

Edited by Gurj SS

9 hours ago, ROTG said:

On the other hand they could sell the club and keep the land. 

Remember Wimbledon now MK Dons 

They can't sell the land. It's owned by the Chelsea Pitch Owners. They can't develop it, either. They can't separate Church and State in the way you describe.

Edited by RDCW

54 minutes ago, RDCW said:

They can't sell the land. It's owned by the Chelsea Pitch Owners. They can't develop it, either. They can't separate Church and State in the way you describe.

You are probably right. 

However Clearlake being an investment company, beaking up of assets is not unusual.

Not sure what CPO position would be on the land, if in the highly unlikely case of the club being sold and relocating. 

11 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Start to season:
L. Martinez - 5 goals and 1 assist in 4 league games
Vlahovic - 4 goals and 1 assist in 4 league games
Oshimen - 3 goals in 4 league games

Worth noting L.Martinez and Vlahovic are currently playing in two man striker systems (352), partnered by Marcus Thuram and Chiesa respectively. This suits both far better than being isolated men up top. 

Not that it matters to much because he'll score goals this season anyway, but Oshimen scored twice against newly promoted Frosinone and against a struggling Sassuolo. He's also flanked by an excellent Politano and Kvaratskhelia which massively helps with creation. 

I have a feeling we'll go in for Oshimen next summer when he'll only have a year left on his contract - providing he doesn't extend during the season. His injury history is a concern though given our luck.

Edited by xceleryx

What can Poch do about our current goalscoring issues? 

Go to a 4-3-3 maybe? 

Stick to a back four with Gusto and Chilwell the fullbacks, but with Caicedo deeper to screen the centrebacks. Gallagher and Enzo ahead of him in the pivot. 

Front three of Broja up top to hold the ball up and pull the defenders left and right, Sterling and Palmer switching wings either side of him. 

Jackson, Noni and Chuks the options off the bench. 

Anyone? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

He would have been crap for us with this current team - as he was with the previous team

I would prefer we signed world-class players rather than lottery lucky dips.  It's like we keep going back because we didn't win last time.

I watched pre-season and got to see Nkunku.  Whilst he was ok he was just ok!  People were saying on here that he is a much better player than Felix but, I didn't see anything that he did special in those games.  Felix showed glimpses of world-class talent each time he played for us.  Agree that he didn't have a successful spell overall but, nobody did.  Also he wasn't given the game time towards the end.

2 hours ago, ShedMiddle said:

Joao Felix shining for Barcelona.  Was gutted when we didn't go for him.  He is a genuine top-level player.

Was going to ask about him here.

Personally, I don't rate his attitude but now we've passed on him it really highlights how poorly assembled our forward line is. That type of player would make all the difference right now, hence why we're looking for a creator in January.

18 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Worth noting L.Martinez and Vlahovic are currently playing in two man striker systems (352), partnered by Marcus Thuram and Chiesa respectively. This suits both far better than being isolated men up top. 

Not that it matters to much because he'll score goals this season anyway, but Oshimen scored twice against newly promoted Frosinone and against a struggling Sassuolo. He's also flanked by an excellent Politano and Kvaratskhelia which massively helps with creation. 

I have a feeling we'll go in for Oshimen next summer when he'll only have a year left on his contract - providing he doesn't extend during the season. His injury history is a concern though given our luck.

I suspect we may have missed our chance with Oshimen and he will go to a bigger club.

Having a two man striker system is exactly the kind of option we need. How about Jackson and Vlahovic up top when we're chasing the game?  Poch seems to have no ability to change the game but that is partly because we have limited options.

Okay Broja is talented but frankly I rate his chances of penetrating a low block lower than you or Ham saying anything negative.

Broja is most dangerous when running in behind and there is no option to do that - I actually think Toney is really talented in tight spaces and could be a solution. 

Here's Romano's take on our striker situation:

“It’s too early to say for sure if Chelsea will move for a new striker in January, for now they are saying their focus is on the current squad. They are also keen to protect Nicolas Jackson, who had a very good pre-season, though of course to repeat that in the Premier League is not the same. Still, they back him and they want to trust him,” Romano said.

Protect Jackson? He nearly signed for Bournemouth in January. 

The guy has shown nothing to suggest he is the solution to our goalscoring woes and we need a proper striker.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I suspect we may have missed our chance with Oshimen and he will go to a bigger club.

Having a two man striker system is exactly the kind of option we need. How about Jackson and Vlahovic up top when we're chasing the game?  Poch seems to have no ability to change the game but that is partly because we have limited options.

Okay Broja is talented but frankly I rate his chances of penetrating a low block lower than you or Ham saying anything negative.

Broja is most dangerous when running in behind and there is no option to do that - I actually think Toney is really talented in tight spaces and could be a solution. 

Here's Romano's take on our striker situation:

“It’s too early to say for sure if Chelsea will move for a new striker in January, for now they are saying their focus is on the current squad. They are also keen to protect Nicolas Jackson, who had a very good pre-season, though of course to repeat that in the Premier League is not the same. Still, they back him and they want to trust him,” Romano said.

Protect Jackson? He nearly signed for Bournemouth in January. 

The guy has shown nothing to suggest he is the solution to our goalscoring woes and we need a proper striker.

Which "bigger" clubs need a striker? 

• Real Madrid - Likely to sign Mbappe.
  • Barcelona - Have Lewa and likely can't afford Oshimen.
  • Bayern - Signed Kane in the summer.
  • PSG - Signed Kolo Muani and Gonçalo Ramos
  • No Serie A side can afford him, extension at Napoli the only likelihood. 
  • Man City - Have Haaland.
  • Liverpool - Have Nunez.
  • Man Utd - Just signed Hojlund.
  • Arsenal - Have Jesus, maybe a possibility but not sure if they can spend £100m+ in back to back windows. 
  • Tottenham - Have Richarlison, likely can't afford Oshimen even after selling Kane. 
  • Newcastle - Pretty unlikely. 

We stand a pretty good chance overall IMO if we chose to pursue him. 

Having the option of playing two upfront is certainly a plus, but it's also very different from actually playing a full-time two man system like the some of the aforementioned currently play in. Nkunku would've likely been that option for us before he got injured.

Also the comments about protecting Jackson are just your standard run of the mill comments. We're not going to throw him under the bus after just signing him, that helps no one. It doesn't mean we're not looking at other options we could possibly add to the group to create competition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Good.

We are alligned as ever.

I dont see the appeal for him other than his size and aggression. I'm certainly not convinced he has the workrate or movement we need. 

Hate to say it but this team needs Olivier Giroud. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Morgs said:

We are alligned as ever.

I dont see the appeal for him other than his size and aggression. I'm certainly not convinced he has the workrate or movement we need. 

Hate to say it but this team needs Olivier Giroud. 

I would take Giroud now - even if he is 73

• Like 1
  • Agree 2