Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

11 minutes ago, SideshowLuiz said:

Seeing the poor performances of some of the players who've left us (Mount, Havertz) - it amazes me how much money we managed to get from our outgoings last summer. We did a Brighton on Utd and Arsenal for sure.

Their  belief that Havertz will "come good" will warm me through winter.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SideshowLuiz said:

Seeing the poor performances of some of the players who've left us (Mount, Havertz) - it amazes me how much money we managed to get from our outgoings last summer. We did a Brighton on Utd and Arsenal for sure.

Kovacic, Mount and Havertz have all had really poor starts at their new clubs. Should certainly lend a hand to the thought that the squad we had was not nearly as good as some fans would have you believe. 

The squad Tuchel took over managed to stay focused and overperform grossly for about 4,5 months but then sadly regressed back to the mean. So happy they are gone. Pulisic is getting some good reviews and some claim it’s because he’s left the toxicity of Chelsea. I’d say it’s because he’s left for a league that is at least a level below the PL. imagine we bought him for £60m five years ago… That was an insane transfer on so many levels. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Rumours of Hazard on a free from Madrid ? Thoughts? 

Not for me. I absolutely love the guy and he was one of our greatest ever players, but, he just isn't going to be the player he used to be. We'd be wheeling him out for the odd cameo appearance and just don't see how that benefits us.

We do need some experience in the squad, but playable experience and I'm not sure Hazard is that, as much as I would love him to be.

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Rumours of Hazard on a free from Madrid ? Thoughts? 

Without question.

Wouldn't have even contemplated it with last year's squad but I don't think it can be underestimated how big of an impact a player like him could have on our new, young team.

He's a living legend, one of the club's greatest ever players and no question in my mind the best player we have ever seen here. He's also one of the elite from his generation and, something that shouldn't be overlooked, a real character. He has so much experience and personality which he can add to this very young, very inexperienced dressing room.

I wouldn't expect too much on the playing front but just having him in and around the club would have a huge, instant benefit. Remember the age of these players, they would have literally been children watching him as they were growing up. He's a bonafide superstar.

Can imagine the vibe around the place on the morning of if his first day back, the players would be buzzing.

Nothing to lose, a great deal to gain 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd take him , he's far from finished , when he played against us in the CL he still ran 12km , we'd have to get him fit again but he'd still be a difference maker in my opinion 

You think our fitness/ medical department are up to that?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

on  a pay as you play? why not?

I thought that for 30 secs, but so much of our problems seem to be best described as "mysterious problems behind the scenes".
I really doubt Hazard returning would help that.

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

No.  Never go back.  Let's remember him as he was, one of our greatest ever players.

Some of said that about Lampard the first time back.  Most were over the moon about him returning.

37 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

He has been injured since leaving us for about 500 days, causing him to miss 95 games. That's more than he has played. Also he was earning 384k/week. He would have to take a massive cut.

And yet he was injured only for 9 games last season and on the bench for all the others.
https://www.flashscore.co.uk/player/hazard-eden/QH2of5sJ/

True he only played > 45mins 6 times and frequently did not come on at all.
I don't think fitness is the issue.
Explaining to Caideido and Fernandez how to get the massive RM contract is the big risk.

33 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

He has been injured since leaving us for about 500 days, causing him to miss 95 games. That's more than he has played. Also he was earning 384k/week. He would have to take a massive cut.

I know this could sound silly but I tend to think players have a certain amount of mileage in them ( a bit like cars).  For instance, if you start your career late like Ian Wright , you have those missed pro years in the tank. The fact that Hazard has hardly played in two years , for me is a better scenario than if he’d been running around every week like a lunatic , covering every inch of the pitch in that time. I’d class it as having a long rest! 
If he’d accept a a low salary with a pay per play bonus thing  ( as I think Paul suggested) then I’d risk it. And as Martin said, he’s a character, a positive character ( and we are devoid of those) . Bringing  someone like Costa back would just add friction and negativity, but Hazard is different. As a bit part player , coming on with 30 mins to go when oppos legs are beginning to tire , we might find theirs still a bit of magic in those old boots. And those boots know where the goal is.  32 really isn’t that old. 
Oh and just to see one more time,  him drop that shoulder before dancing past a couple of players and rifling the ball into the corner of the net. What joy!! 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Explaining to Caideido and Fernandez how to get the massive RM contract is the big risk.

Because if Hazard doesn't sign, they wont find a way to communicate by telephone?

do you think perhaps Fernandez could just easily talk to Di Maria, Messi or countless others on international duty 

Nothing to lose in getting Eden back in my view. Nothing would tarnish his legacy and he just might lift the place. He would certainly lift my spirits. There are so many examples of players who have been brilliant for 1 club and bomb after their "big move". We've had our fair share of those. As people have already said, it can work when people return to the scene of past triumphs, even if only to a limited extent.

…..and after what Hazard has been through over the last two years, I think we’d all have realistic expectations of where he would be football wise. But a couple of seasons making good cameos, hopefully scoring a few goals ( which we desperately need) , being a voice in the dressing room, guiding the youngsters. Maybe bring him on to take a pen! And of course this is his spiritual home. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Because if Hazard doesn't sign, they wont find a way to communicate by telephone?

do you think perhaps Fernandez could just easily talk to Di Maria, Messi or countless others on international duty 

I guess it depends on what car Hazard drives into Cobham.

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Yes well ok but I just don't have a good feeling about Eden coming back, although I would be ecstatic to be proved wrong.

I think I said the following way earlier in this thread, but no apologies for the repeat. My suspicion is that we're not winning much this season, probably too many established and well performing teams to prevent us getting top 6. 

So, just for the feel-good factor he will bring to the stands, the moves he'll pass onto the developing young men we have (hopefully developing 🫰). The chance to say goodbye properly to a true legend and the chance, no matter how slim that chance might be, that he performs at 80% of how he did.

That's enough for me, get him in.

Also, imagine Mudryk with Eden working on techniques with him . Now that could really be something to behold.

Edit: And he deserves a far happier ending to a career where he genuinely provided joy to many, than leaving it with the miserable existence he seemed to have at Madrid. Happiness is at home Eden

Edited by east lower

34 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Hazard is completely finished at anything like a serious level. He really wouldn't get any game time here, just in terms of fitness or merit. It's not a comfortable thing to say about a player I love dearly, but the notion that he'd manage even the odd cameo is beyond optimistic. And he's not a coach. He's notorious, celebrated even, for his laissez-faire approach to training. The idea that he'd be a positive influence on developing players is, I think, a far-fetched revision of both history and what made him such an enigma.

I feel very confident there's 0% chance we've made an offer or that he'd consider it. And I expect this lot to make mental decisions as a matter of routine!

Yeah tend to agree ref Hazard. I really don’t see what he would bring to the club right now, other than a great dose of nostalgia.