Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Arsenal apparently after Marc Guehi. Doesn’t The notion of not keeping our best prospects and instead paying massive, massive money for players who aren’t any better (if at all), has been a problem for a few years now. 

I firmly believe that the best strategy for us over the last few years would have been to have a squad consisting of the likes of Guehi, Tomori and Abraham. Let one or two academy prospects make their way into the first team squad and then put the majority of our money on top quality players. Instead the strategy has been to pay a lot of money for average players. We aren’t going to consistently be challengers by paying stupid money for average players. 

Not to nitpick or anything but a couple things here.

1. Guehi chose to leave on his own accord after returning from loan. He didn't even have the stones to put in a pre-season to earn a spot, maybe if he'd done this he'd have ended up in the position Chalobah did. Not to take away from the fact we also had better players ahead of him in the pecking order at the time, and the club wanting to keep him.
  2. Tomori lost his place in the side because of poor performances, and much like Guehi had competition for a place in the side with Thiago Silva, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma and Azpilicueta (when using 3ATB) all in contention, if not ahead. Not sure you could argue that he was better than any of those, and Lampard not being able to sell Rudiger that summer meant an excess of options. 
  3. Tammy isn't anything more than a squad level player, no significant loss on that front. Granted we proceeded to spend big on Lukaku that ended up pear shaped, Lukaku had far superior goalscoring record which is exactly what we wanted and Tammy  couldn't provide. 

Either way, we don't miss any of those guys and have arguably secured more talented alternatives (striker situation aside).

Edited by xceleryx

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

I'm afraid I have to go against the grain again.I don't see the potential Enzo has that others can.

What exactly is he good at?.A good midfielder should stand out from the crowd especially with his price tag and in a weak team(like ours).

Enzo looks no better than Jorginho imo.I'm looking forward to people pointing out to me why he has so much potential.

Enzo was being heavily criticized by the commentators the other night. You and me are certainly not the only ones questioning what he brings to the team.

33 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Don't be silly!

Nobody is putting all the blame on him. Just that he deserves as much criticism as the rest of those who are massively under performing.

The problem as has been spoken about before is he's being made to do a job he isn't supposed to do , he's an excellent attacking midfielder being asked to play as a holding one because Kante is incapable and Kovacic is still carrying an injury and or can't be arsed.

When you look at the side in the first half against Arsenal he was overrun because everyone else was pathetic. 

If anyone should have the finger pointed at them it's Sterling he was truly indefensible in his rank awfulness.

Imagine Lampard playing in this side and being asked to do the holding role , do you think he'd be pulling up trees ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 02/05/2023 at 13:03, Mark Kelly said:

C'mon ROTG you should be happy today , Allardyce is back in management.

The Bizzare thing, had TB in charge of the club 10’years ago, you might of seen Allardyce being on of his preferred candidates for head coach, purely because  of his use of data and data analysis. 

Also he got the England job after being interviewed by Dan Ashworth the Newcastle DoF and  previously Brighton DoF

it a funny old game. 

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

The Bizzare thing, had TB in charge of the club 10’years ago, you might of seen Allardyce being on of his preferred candidates for head coach, purely because  of his use of data and data analysis. 

Also he got the England job after being interviewed by Dan Ashworth the Newcastle and  ex Brighton DoF

it a funny old game. 

I bet he'll keep them up too! 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

I bet he'll keep them up too! 

Maybe. 
If the club wants leaders on the pitch,  go get Dunk “if the price is right” He has the JT heart maybe not the same skill set - definitely a leader and a Chelsea boy at heart. 

9 hours ago, ROTG said:

Maybe. 
If the club wants leaders on the pitch,  go get Dunk “if the price is right” He has the JT heart maybe not the same skill set - definitely a leader and a Chelsea boy at heart. 

I said we should have signed him a couple of years ago for the exact reasons you’ve mentioned. We’ve lacked proper chest thumping leaders for years and I think Dunk would have been that. Probably more Cahill than JT, but I do think he’s the kind of personality we could  do with.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ROTG said:

Maybe. 

Yep , I'm in.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I said we should have signed him a couple of years ago for the exact reasons you’ve mentioned. We’ve lacked proper chest thumping leaders for years and I think Dunk would have been that. Probably more Cahill than JT, but I do think he’s the kind of personality we could  do with.

You also have to take into account his skill sets have improved with the Brighton evolution under RDZ, which IMO means he can make step up in class if he came to Chelsea.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Dunk is the ball winning kind of centre-half, when watching Brighton their forward passing comes predominantly from the other centre-half Webster and generally he does so just as the press comes onto him. Good leader though, as their results show but not the best footballing centre-half - which seems to be the vogue now. 

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

You also have to take into account his skill sets have improved with the Brighton evolution under RDZ, which IMO means he can make step up in class if he came to Chelsea.

I've heard worse ideas for sure. If Silva or KK were leaving, this would make sense. Not much need for 3 over 30 CBs though...

He and Colwill have obviously played in the same side too.

But agree with your main point - we definitely need some aggressive presence in this dressing room.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I've heard worse ideas for sure. If Silva or KK were leaving, this would make sense. Not much need for 3 over 30 CBs though...

He and Colwill have obviously played in the same side too.

But agree with your main point - we definitely need some aggressive presence in this dressing room.

Silva and KK TBH are just mercenaries doing a job and both have not shown any real leadership qualities and doubt either will be part of the squad next season. Dunk on the other hand is a Chelsea boy and would certainly be an inspiration to those around. Not sure about putting all eggs in one basket with Forfana and Badishile, they are both prone to errors

We're in the same predicament with Silva as we were with Alonso .

If Silva plays he's invaluable but only in a back three as he's not quick enough in a two to get across and cover for Chilwell's sorties up front which leads to the opposition targeting the gap that Chilwell leaves .

I think as much as we love him , he has to go . 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Silva and KK TBH are just mercenaries doing a job and both have not shown any real leadership qualities 

I'm sorry but I can't buy in to Silva not being a leader. I think he has very much been a leader in his time here. His professionalism, putting his body on line the line and always being available at his age, his talking team mates through games, the way he talks to the media., his sheer ability and mere presence on the pitch - all lift the team.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I'm sorry but I can't buy in to Silva not being a leader. I think he has very much been a leader in his time here. His professionalism, putting his body on line the line and always being available at his age, his talking team mates through games, the way he talks to the media., his sheer ability and mere presence on the pitch - all lift the team.

Valid points, don’t get me wrong I have a lots of respect for Silva and he had be a great asset who been flogged to near death by the club, however in the time of need like this season, he  did not seem to be that bit of inspiration need to get players back on the front foot. Maybe the club firing a WC coach and replacing him with a nobody as something to do with it?

IMO his ship has sailed along with Azpi as leader on and off the field. Hence the need for the club to bring in a couple of leader as it a commodity the club is sadly lacking at the moment.  

Edited by ROTG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

So according to Matt Law it sounds like we're back in for Onana. 

If this is actually true, I'm not entirely sure why we're in for him. He has a record of falling out with coaches (kicked out of the national team), team-mates (argument with Dzeko on the pitch), and even had a year ban (reduced to 9 months by CAS) for taking a banned substance.

Is there anything about him that is so exceptional we should overlook these issues? Because the last thing we need right now is an extra toxic influence in the dressing room.

image.png.e99ed0955671e7f3acc85bcdaed2b7c4.png

Original article is behind a paywall, but here:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/05/05/chelsea-transfer-news-inter-milan-andre-onana-pochettino/

Edited by Proud-Blue
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

So according to Matt Law it sounds like we're back in for Onana. 

If this is actually true, I'm not entirely sure why we're in for him. He has a record of falling out with coaches (kicked out of the national team), team-mates (argument with Dzeko on the pitch), and even had a year ban (reduced to 9 months by CAS) for taking a banned substance.

Is there anything about him that is so exceptional we should overlook these issues? Because the last thing we need right now is an extra toxic influence in the dressing room.

image.png.e99ed0955671e7f3acc85bcdaed2b7c4.png

Original article is behind a paywall, but here:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/05/05/chelsea-transfer-news-inter-milan-andre-onana-pochettino/

You forgot the main thing. 

He's crap.