Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Yeah tend to agree ref Hazard. I really don’t see what he would bring to the club right now, other than a great dose of nostalgia. 

Then again...nostalgia...gives you something to think about,😁

• Haha 1

Eden is sadly too far gone at this level to even be worth a place on our bench. Best to remember him as the wonderful player we saw at his peak with us.

If we're interested in signing an older player then we could do worse than De Gea.

Btw. Anyone else seen the rumour that we could be in for Morata?

Edited by boratsbrother

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Hazard is completely finished at anything like a serious level. He really wouldn't get any game time here, just in terms of fitness or merit. It's not a comfortable thing to say about a player I love dearly, but the notion that he'd manage even the odd cameo is beyond optimistic. And he's not a coach. He's notorious, celebrated even, for his laissez-faire approach to training. The idea that he'd be a positive influence on developing players is, I think, a far-fetched revision of both history and what made him such an enigma.

I feel very confident there's 0% chance we've made an offer or that he'd consider it. And I expect this lot to make mental decisions as a matter of routine!

I don't think there is any revision of history, I'd imagine everyone is aware of his approach to training. He's openly admitted what he is like but I very much doubt it would rub off on anyone, you don't to this level if you are so easily influenced that one players poor attitude towards training would have a negative effect on you.

He may not be the most disciplined towards but I don't ever recall his attitude being questioned, that he was a bad influence or if he ever had a negative effect on those around him. Pretty sure it was the  opposite, everybody loved him. Loved playing with him, training with him and generally just being around him as he is by all accounts a genuinely loveable guy. 

We are also incredibly light in that area of the pitch and he can play all across the forward line. Whilst I agree with you that he is probably finished at this level I'd much rather see him on the left that Chilwell or as a 10 instead of Enzo. The fact that he would be a short term stop gap is also a good thing. I have no doubt we will spend on that area, I just don't think the right players have been available and with the young age of our attacking players he wouldn't get in the way of their development or stop us bringing someone in the next couple of windows. Also if he flopped it would only be a short contract so wouldn't really matter.

This part is just conjecture but I think that he would be huge for Mudryk. I genuinely believe, and I appreciate you don't, he will be our next superstar. And first since, ironically, Hazard. Pure guesswork on my part but I get the feeling with him that if anything he needs to loosen up a bit, not be quite so serious. As a mentor for Mudryk I think a Hazard would be much more beneficial than a Cristiano Ronaldo.

I don't really see any negatives, of course if people are stupidly expecting the old Hazard to return they would be massively disappointed but we go into this, potentially, with our eyes wide open and know what to expect.

At a time when we are at our lowest point for 25 years, both in terms of league position and the morale around the whole club his arrival would give everyone a huge boost, the bridge would be bouncing, literally.

Hazard is as gifted a footballer as the Premiership has ever seen, and I've always felt he was underrated by everyone apart from Chelsea fans. He was an absolute joy to watch in his years with us, and I am still in awe when I watch compilations of some of his best moments.

My impression - after seeing him decline so rapidly in his time in Madrid and become a shadow of his former self - is that he could never come close to replicating what we came to expect from him. 

It would be fantastic if he were to come back and show he hasn't lost his outrageous skills, but I'm sure if that were the case he'd be staying at Real.

Look, I'm under no illusions that he's the same player he once was. But just the idea of having him back in a Chelsea kit again, and maybe letting him retire here on a more positive note, does push the logical reasoning to the side a little. There'd have to be a lot of give on his side for it to happen though, such as understanding what his role would be and his wages needing to align, etc. 

For me there's no huge downside or risk involved. He either exceeds expectations or he doesn't, which is where the bar is already set as it is. Would just be nice seeing him step back onto the Stamford Bridge turf in a Chelsea kit again. Anything else is a bonus really.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Hazard is as gifted a footballer as the Premiership has ever seen, and I've always felt he was underrated by everyone apart from Chelsea fans. He was an absolute joy to watch in his years with us, and I am still in awe when I watch compilations of some of his best moments.

My impression - after seeing him decline so rapidly in his time in Madrid and become a shadow of his former self - is that he could never come close to replicating what we came to expect from him. 

It would be fantastic if he were to come back and show he hasn't lost his outrageous skills, but I'm sure if that were the case he'd be staying at Real.

Sorry people, but this post says it all for me as far as Hazard is concerned.

The other thing to all of this is that we don’t exactly have a small squad and lots of space to welcome former players back open arms for largely nostalgic reasons.

At last count I think we had ~30 players registered in the first team squad, with probably the general acceptance from most that we still need a striker! 

Furthermore, when Nkunku, Chukwuemeka and Madueke come back from injury, the last thing we will want is another “punt” on a player who may not be up to it.  We have loads of those already, and between those 3, Mudryk, Palmer, Sterling with have plenty of players for the attacking positions before you factor in Maatsen, Enzo, Gallagher etc. 

Love the guy, but it’s a no from me.  

38 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Can't believe anyone is mentioning Hazard returning to Chelsea, especially with Pochettino being the head coach.

02-May-2016 will be a imprinted in Pochettino's head for eternity 

Why isn't imprinted in Chelsea fans heads too.  Everyone talks as if pochettino had no responsibilty for that disgrace.  (Not least because it had nothing to do with a title Spurs could not win).
Indeed ROTG is suggesting a football game went on.

Hazard - if we were currently top4 or even top6 on a positive trend, we would no be having this conversation.

8 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Why isn't imprinted in Chelsea fans heads too.  Everyone talks as if pochettino had no responsibilty for that disgrace.  (Not least because it had nothing to do with a title Spurs could not win).
Indeed ROTG is suggesting a football game went on.

Hazard - if we were currently top4 or even top6 on a positive trend, we would no be having this conversation.

It is imprinted on Chelsea fans, along with spuds fans, and all the coaching staff at the time. I just thought it was a  ridiculous idea from the off.

Also agree with your top 4 / 6 comment

• Like 1

10 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think there is any revision of history, I'd imagine everyone is aware of his approach to training. He's openly admitted what he is like but I very much doubt it would rub off on anyone, you don't to this level if you are so easily influenced that one players poor attitude towards training would have a negative effect on you.

He may not be the most disciplined towards but I don't ever recall his attitude being questioned, that he was a bad influence or if he ever had a negative effect on those around him. Pretty sure it was the  opposite, everybody loved him. Loved playing with him, training with him and generally just being around him as he is by all accounts a genuinely loveable guy. 

We are also incredibly light in that area of the pitch and he can play all across the forward line. Whilst I agree with you that he is probably finished at this level I'd much rather see him on the left that Chilwell or as a 10 instead of Enzo. The fact that he would be a short term stop gap is also a good thing. I have no doubt we will spend on that area, I just don't think the right players have been available and with the young age of our attacking players he wouldn't get in the way of their development or stop us bringing someone in the next couple of windows. Also if he flopped it would only be a short contract so wouldn't really matter.

This part is just conjecture but I think that he would be huge for Mudryk. I genuinely believe, and I appreciate you don't, he will be our next superstar. And first since, ironically, Hazard. Pure guesswork on my part but I get the feeling with him that if anything he needs to loosen up a bit, not be quite so serious. As a mentor for Mudryk I think a Hazard would be much more beneficial than a Cristiano Ronaldo.

I don't really see any negatives, of course if people are stupidly expecting the old Hazard to return they would be massively disappointed but we go into this, potentially, with our eyes wide open and know what to expect.

At a time when we are at our lowest point for 25 years, both in terms of league position and the morale around the whole club his arrival would give everyone a huge boost, the bridge would be bouncing, literally.

Think we have different views here and that's fair enough, but just for clarity I would never suggest there was anything wrong with Hazard's attitude. It worked for him, and that's what matters. A lesser player would have been in huge trouble, of course. And I'd really like to agree with you that at this level a poor trainer doesn't have much influence on those around him, but I just cannot ignore what I think is the overwhelming evidence otherwise; last season.

I'd love him back in some role, and maybe there is some role where he nurtures the likes of Mudryk. But I don't think that's as a player.

The Hazard rumours have only resurfaced because I believe he announced he is playing in a charity match somewhere, and they tacked it on to the headline.

I also read that he can't be registered in the Prem squad now until January anyway

Great as it would be to see him on the turf again, I'm not sure we have space in the squad for him to play. Wouldn't be good to take minutes away from one of our younger players

On 05/10/2023 at 16:40, paulw66 said:

Didier

David Luiz

Le Saux

It can happen! 

It can. But with Hazard it can’t. He’s been finished for four seasons already. I have no idea why some of you think he’d magically be up for it now? 

We have so many issues with the squad. Bringing another problem will only make things worse. Hard no from me. 

On 05/10/2023 at 19:36, Thiago97 said:

Yeah tend to agree ref Hazard. I really don’t see what he would bring to the club right now, other than a great dose of nostalgia. 

Yes I suppose. I mean where’s he going to fit in.? Who could he possible replace in this team even as an impact sub.?  We already have far too many goal scoring forward players at the club . Poch has really hit the ground running and he’s not going to want to disrupt this Premier League one game winning streak right now. Let’s not forget that we just stuffed Fulham!! I’m still mid cartwheel over that . I think it caught a lot of us by surprise. 

Forget I ever mentioned the Hazard thing. I was having a funny five minutes and nurse has just told me to get back into bed. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes I suppose. I mean where’s he going to fit in.? Who could he possible replace in this team even as an impact sub.?  We already have far too many goal scoring forward players at the club . Poch has really hit the ground running and he’s not going to want to disrupt this Premier League one game winning streak right now. Let’s not forget that we just stuffed Fulham!! I’m still mid cartwheel over that . I think it caught a lot of us by surprise. 

Forget I ever mentioned the Hazard thing. I was having a funny five minutes and nurse has just told me to get back into bed. 

An odd response to my post, but fair enough.

The reality is, we don’t have room for him, and if he had any strong interest in playing football still, he would have a club already. It’s not like he will not have had offers.

20 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

An odd response to my post, but fair enough.

The reality is, we don’t have room for him, and if he had any strong interest in playing football still, he would have a club already. It’s not like he will not have had offers.

Can you eleborate on this reality and which players you think are blocking Hazards place in the team, or even on the bench? 
You say that at 32 Hazard has no strong interest in playing football any more. He is still under contract with Real. If they picked him to play are you suggesting he’d just say “no thanks , I’ve no strong interest in playing anymore”.

It looks like they have agreed to end his contract early to enable him to play elsewhere ( and obviously save some wages). But if Eden was just wanting to sit on his butt and do a Winston Bogarde while raking in £400k a week he could do just that.  

I think you have a misguided opinion of Edens mindset as a person and a footballer. He will find a home somewhere when the contract issue is resolved. Considering the utter shite this club has paid big money for in the last 3 years, Eden on a free would seem the deal of the century by comparison. 

30 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Can you eleborate on this reality and which players you think are blocking Hazards place in the team, or even on the bench? 
You say that at 32 Hazard has no strong interest in playing football any more. He is still under contract with Real. If they picked him to play are you suggesting he’d just say “no thanks , I’ve no strong interest in playing anymore”.

It looks like they have agreed to end his contract early to enable him to play elsewhere ( and obviously save some wages). But if Eden was just wanting to sit on his butt and do a Winston Bogarde while raking in £400k a week he could do just that.  

I think you have a misguided opinion of Edens mindset as a person and a footballer. He will find a home somewhere when the contract issue is resolved. Considering the utter shite this club has paid big money for in the last 3 years, Eden on a free would seem the deal of the century by comparison. 

I’m even more perplexed now. As far as I know, he has been a free agent for the last 2-3 months. He is literally sat there waiting to be picked up, and undoubtedly will have had offers. Yet he is still a free agent . 

3 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

I’m even more perplexed now. As far as I know, he has been a free agent for the last 2-3 months. He is literally sat there waiting to be picked up, and undoubtedly will have had offers. Yet he is still a free agent . 

I imagine he's only interested in a top offer, and no top offers have materialised.

5 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I imagine he's only interested in a top offer, and no top offers have materialised.

Yes.  If RM have paid off his contract they may have added a refund clause if he signs with another club.
In which case he could be playing for nothing unless he gets a decent sized package of say £100k a week plus.
In that case I suspect he'd rather screw RM for all he can get than play and pass on most of it to them.

7 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Sorry , my inability to read an article properly. Article said he’s still in Madrid rather than still AT Madrid . As you say end of June they tore contract up but his son is settled in Madrid apparently so he is remaining in the city for time being ….perhaps still training with RM? However he has never expressed an intention to retire and described his last 3 years ( tongue in cheek  perhaps) as a good rest. He could I suppose go and play in the slow moving Arab league but I am sure that if Chelsea came calling it would be all the motivation he needs to pull on his boots on again.  He couldn’t play until Jan window because of our registration system , but it would probably take him that long to get up to speed ( or at least as fit as he can be). 
He is lazy trainer and his injury problems could stem from being overweight ( James take note) but if he really wants it, and he’s prepared to work, he could be an important bit part player for a season and a half I’m sure. I watch Willian often putting in a full shift at Fulham at 35 years old.  32 is nothing. 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Sorry , my inability to read an article properly. Article said he’s still in Madrid rather than still AT Madrid . As you say end of June they tore contract up but his son is settled in Madrid apparently so he is remaining in the city for time being ….perhaps still training with RM? However he has never expressed an intention to retire and described his last 3 years ( tongue in cheek  perhaps) as a good rest. He could I suppose go and play in the slow moving Arab league but I am sure that if Chelsea came calling it would be all the motivation he needs to pull on his boots on again.  He couldn’t play until Jan window because of our registration system , but it would probably take him that long to get up to speed ( or at least as fit as he can be). 
He is lazy trainer and his injury problems could stem from being overweight ( James take note) but if he really wants it, and he’s prepared to work, he could be an important bit part player for a season and a half I’m sure. I watch Willian often putting in a full shift at Fulham at 35 years old.  32 is nothing. 

32 is nothing, that being said being 32 isn't the same for every player either to be fair. You look at Rooney for example, he was out the door at Man Utd at 31. Played out a season at Everton, then went off to the US for a year, before the player coach role he had at Derby brought him back to England. 

The ankle injury Hazard picked completely fucked him, more so with there being several complications afterwards in which he had further surgery to eventually remove the metal plate that was in there. You look at him play now compared to what he was like pre-injury and you can immediately see he lacks that same zip and movement of old.  

I said earlier I'd still like to bring him back, but it wouldn't necessarily be with the intention of having a pivotal role in the team. I liken it more to a return of Drogba or an Henry at Arsenal. More of an addition to help out, add a bit of experience, but mainly just to get such a huge figure back to the club where he can hopefully have a more fitting and deserved ending to his career. Something I do think he deserves. 

• Agree 1