Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

Surely he realises that he's back up keeper the minute TC is fit?

Simon Philips, RM or Kepa?
I can think of a dozen reasons why REM would want this story out, a dozen more from Kepa or agent.. 
Not many of them are linked to Kepa staying at RM.
Mind an ACL injury at 31 for TC is probably a lot bigger issue than it is for a 25 yo.

28 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Simon Philips, RM or Kepa?
I can think of a dozen reasons why REM would want this story out, a dozen more from Kepa or agent.. 
Not many of them are linked to Kepa staying at RM.
Mind an ACL injury at 31 for TC is probably a lot bigger issue than it is for a 25 yo.

hold-on-lonely.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think I have come to the conclusion that Maatsen and Chalobah will both be sold at the earliest opportunity in order to begin to balance the books.

I wouldn't see their sales as "balancing the books" myself. I think it more of us having surplus options in their positions which has put them at the bottom of the pecking order respectively. 

While I like Chalobah, we're certainly not going to miss him either if he was to be sold. I mean, we don't even miss him now as it is. As for Maatsen, he's still a rather unknown quantity as a Premier League fullback. 

Random question - would anyone else be up for selling James and or Chilwell for the right price in the summer if their injury woes continue? I love Reece in particular but he offers so little at the moment being injured for half the season.

If Real Madrid came in with £60 million I would probably grudgingly accept.

I worry about how the club has elevated these two to captains when they are almost guaranteed to be out for so long. We need our experienced players to actually play. Or else we need a proper plan to get Reece fit again (get him to lose muscle).

34 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Random question - would anyone else be up for selling James and or Chilwell for the right price in the summer if their injury woes continue? I love Reece in particular but he offers so little at the moment being injured for half the season.

I worry about how the club has elevated these two to captains when they are almost guaranteed to be out for so long. We need our experienced players to actually play. Or else we need a proper plan to get Reece fit again (get him to lose muscle).

In some ways it would have to hinge on who'd we be lining up as replacements. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2023 at 15:04, Sciatika said:

I think I have come to the conclusion that Maatsen and Chalobah will both be sold at the earliest opportunity in order to begin to balance the books.

It certainly looks like it.. I don't get it.

Maatsen has looked very  good and Chabolah has proved he is as least as good as Colwill in a centre back role.

Has Maatsen even been tried at left back for us?.

It seems to me we are still groping in the dark as far as recognising young talent is concerned.

I hope we don't have another yes man in charge.

Say what you will about Conte but he's not a yes man that sucks up to owners for the pay cheque(pay check to our American brethern).

I'm not so worried about Poch's ability, but the constraints he might be put under by the pay masters.

It seems to me if we can let young talented players like Maatsen and Chabolah go - it doesn't bode well for the future.

Edited by kev61

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

I'm not so worried about Poch's ability, but the constraints he might be put under by the pay masters.

Maybe he is happy to go with the flow to try and rebuild his reputation after PSG debacle 

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

It seems to me if we can let young talented players like Maatsen and Chabolah go - it doesn't bode well for the future.

The gang of three and clearlake don't care,  it is about balancing the books with the above being clear profit, whereas a dud like Cucurella is a huge loss and is probably one of the reasons he not ahead of the above in the queue for being moved on.

22 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Chilwell yes, James no. I wouldn't let them both go at the same time and I'd be more inclined to keep James than Chilwell asI genuinely believe James can be world-class, if he can get over his injury problems (big IF, obviously), whereas Chilwell, whilst a very good player, feels a bit more replaceable for me.

I also think if we sell James, it sends out a very bad message to any players in the academy.

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

It certainly looks like it.. I don't get it.

Maatsen has looked very  good and Chabolah has proved he is as least as good as Colwill in a centre back role.

Has Maatsen even been tried at left back for us?.

It seems to me we are still groping in the dark as far as recognising young talent is concerned.

I hope we don't have another yes man in charge.

Say what you will about Conte but he's not a yes man that sucks up to owners for the pay cheque(pay check to our American brethern).

Maatsen is completely unproven at this level and it's possible Poch just hasn't seen enough in training or pre-season to justify putting him above those more experienced than him... maybe he's just a really good Championship player? Personally, I think he's made his mind up that he'll move on and the club and Poch are aware of this, so aren't going to put too much more time into his development (complete guess, obviously). I wouldn't be horrifically upset if Maatsen goes, purely because I have no idea how good he is or will be at this level... I'm more upset about Hall going than I am about the possibility of losing Maatsen (especially when you see the minimal chances he's getting to play), because we've seen that he can actually cut it at this level.

As for Chalobah, he's a decent player, but the fact that at 24 years old and with a couple of seasons of PL football under his belt, he is 'as good' as a 20-year-old Colwill with 1 year of PL experience, probably explains why the club would consider selling him. Chalobah has probably hit his ceiling, whereas Colwill has much more improvement still to come. Add to that Disasi is, IMO, better than Chalobah and Badiashile is arguably better than him as well already, at 22 years old, Chalobah will have very limited game time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

"What if the professor is not bent?"

"Everybody in the world is bent" - Name the film 😀 

So you mean the Italian Job: "Maybe the professor's not bent. Everybody in the world is bent." Noel Coward was very good in that, imo; Benny Hill, not so much. However, this is not a case of being bent or not. If someone came in and offered a billion for either James or Chilwell, the business would not be bent to decide that the upside would be too great to refuse. I'd be worried if they chose otherwise.