Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

42 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

How much do you think Newcastle would need to spend if they sold the amount of players we sold in the close season?

What was it ? Sixteen? 

It is indeed a funny old game. 

Didn't need to sell sixteen players, the squad needed a decent coach like poch or of similar ilk after TT and 3-4 top draw players in the summer. Instead we got potter & Lampard fiasco and the January & summer buying epiphany.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

We are at a different phase of our lifecycle and many of our investments will come good in the coming years.

With more investment coming into the PL, the top team will continue to evolve and Clearlake are now in stuck in catch up mode along with the FFP constraints which come into play when the club revenue decreases and the selling of HG diminishes.

Also Simon Jordon stated that Chelsea not win  anything with Poch at the helm.

FWIW - One of the best analysts on Chelsea Is Scott Minto

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ROTG said:

With more investment coming into the PL, the top team will continue to evolve and Clearlake are now in stuck in catch up mode along with the FFP constraints which come into play when the club revenue decreases and the selling of HG diminishes.

Also Simon Jordon stated that Chelsea not win  anything with Poch at the helm.

FWIW - One of the best analysts on Chelsea Is Scott Minto

Yeah I mean Jordan literally said the other day he thinks Chelsea will win the league in the next 2-3 seasons.
Bit ambitious but I agree with him we'll never win the league with Poch.

I get your concerns but such is the reality. Fact of the matter is we have owners who are willing to plough money into the club and for better or for worse, at least there seems to be some long-term planning behind the signings unlike with say Man United.

Of course we have done the bulk of our investment but there will continue to be additions and I can't see us being significantly hampered by FFP.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

One shift I have had - I now absolutely believe the owners are aiming for us to be the best side in the country.

100% agree.
But I absolutely believe they haven't a Scoobey how to do it.  They seriously should be talking to RA and Marina.

Newcastle have done great but they are also a different club with different expectations. They could buy average to good players and create a really solid side that built on their existing one. 

We are at a different phase of our lifecycle and many of our investments will come good in the coming years.

Indeed Newcastle are pretty much where we were in Summer 2022.
We killed our team and are hoping for a re-incarnation.

If we go a long way round it may have been unnecessary and painful but I don't believe any more the conspiracies like they are just trying to turn us into some midtable cash cow like Brighton. 

Well the talk is about a low wage cash cow - but that is because the talk was lifted from an investment conference.
But I agree, nothing the club is doing looks like they care about making the club a cash cow.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Yeah I mean Jordan literally said the other day he thinks Chelsea will win the league in the next 2-3 seasons.

Yes.  We are unlikely to finish the season with Poch, never mind finish 2 or 3 seasons.

Of course we have done the bulk of our investment but there will continue to be additions and I can't see us being significantly hampered by FFP.

Hmm FFP.  aka profits.  UEFA as a stakeholder vs Clearlake investors as shareholders.

The good thing about the 7 or 8 year contract is that it allows you to allocate the £1 billion investment into players over 7 or 8 years instead of yeasr 1, 2 & 3 like other clubs.
The bad thing is that you are still writing off that £1 billion over years 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.
For those that expect us to match FFP that implies a desperate time in 2027 with zero new buying capacity.  Or maybe before then.   We have splashed our FFP wad.

For those like me that think FFP is an illegal bluff which can be called by anyone (eg PSG, Man City etc) then Chelsea could happily spend every year, Clearlake has the funds available.
But failing FFP is the same as showing negative P&L.  And I don't think you can call the bluff of Clearlake's shareholders in the way you can call UEFA's.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ROTG said:

Poch is only as good as the tools given to him.

No idea what "tools" you are talking about.I guess you'r talking about players and what freedoms  he has in all aspects of the team?Could you elaborate without the cryptic message you are becoming known for.

No offence intended just  interested what you mean.

17 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I get your concerns but such is the reality. Fact of the matter is we have owners who are willing to plough money into the club and for better or for worse, at least there seems to be some long-term planning behind the signings unlike with say Man United.

Bohley and the rest have made arbitrary  decisions that most can't fathom.

They are either ahead of the game or we are destined to languish.Unfortunately I think it is the latter.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

No idea what "tools" you are talking about.I guess you'r talking about players and what freedoms  he has in all aspects of the team?Could you elaborate without the cryptic message you are becoming known for.

No offence intended just  interested what you mean.

Playing Staff

31 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Playing Staff

In what context?.playing staff are players....no?

Then how on earth  can you go from dodgy owners to the playing staff which are inextricably  linked?.

Edited by kev61

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Where has i said doggy owners, you must have me confused with another.

Clueless leadership yes, In taking a winning formula and binning it, hiring a couple of two bob scouts with zero experience at a top level club and allowing them to recruit  unbalanced, uncoached, raw and unproved set of players, that any coach in the world would struggle to get a decent tune out of.

I mean one argument I have always found far too much from those more in favour of our new owners is that we had "just become a cup team" under RA and "our best years were behind us". 

Ignores the fact that the last 5-7 years have birthed Klopp and Guardiola, responsible for two of the best sides that we have ever seen, and now with Newcastle, Arsenal etc. the title is harder to win than ever.

Point is - I have big sympathy for your "winning formula" argument.

It wasn't like the owners took over Newcastle. Broadly, over the span of 20 years, we had been the most (or second most) successful team in the country. It seems we could have just tweaked our culture rather than started again.

Now I wonder if the Chelsea identity of RA, most recently seen under Tuchel, will ever exist again. Tough, hard to beat, defensively well organized. Maybe we are building a whole new Chelsea but was that really necessary?

Edited by Max Fowler

19 hours ago, Dwmh said:

100% agree.
But I absolutely believe they haven't a Scoobey how to do it.  They seriously should be talking to RA and Marina.

From an immediate footballing perspective, it shouldn’t be too much more complicated than appointing a competent Sporting Director, empowering them and ensuring funds are available to improve the squad?! 

I think they got this bit wrong by the way, but if you look at Newcastle with Dan Ashworth, on paper it should be quite straight forward if you get it right and stay out of it. 

Obviously longer-term there is a lot more to it, with the Academy, Women’s team, Revenue Streams, Global appeal / brand, multi club model etc 

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

In what context?.playing staff are players....no?

Then how on earth  can you go from dodgy owners to the playing staff which are inextricably  linked?.

When have i said doggy owners, you must have me confused with another.

Clueless leadership yes, In taking a winning formula and binning it and thereafter hiring a couple of two bob scouts with zero experience at a top level club and allowing them to recruit  unbalanced, uncoached, raw and unproved set of players, that any coach in the world would struggle to get a decent tune out of.

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Now I wonder if the Chelsea identity of RA, most recently seen under Tuchel, will ever exist again. Tough, hard to beat, defensively well organized.

Gone forever I am afraid. 

What makes things worst, they bin TT give Brighton £20m for a nobody coach and his coaching staff and straight after Villa go and give Villarreal £2m for Emery. 

I am not Emery biggest fan, however I suspect he would of had a similar impact as the TFSW did when RA brought him in and would have avoided the January transfer fiasco by the gang of three. 

It's all history now one continues to keep fingers crossed every game. 

Edited by ROTG

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Gone forever I am afraid. 

What makes things worst, they bin TT give Brighton £20m for a nobody coach and his coaching staff and straight after Villa go and give Villarreal £2m for Emery. 

I am not Emery biggest fan, however I suspect he would of had a similar impact as the TFSW did when RA brought him in and would have avoided the January transfer fiasco by the gang of three. 

It's all history now one continues to keep fingers crossed every game. 

I wondered if we might move for Emery if Poch goes.

I differ slightly from your pessimism now ROTG but maybe we can agree on this.

The board have made mistakes but there are some mistakes you cannot undo.

If Liverpool sacked Klopp, that would be getting rid of a manager they simply cannot replace in terms of quality and connection to the fans. They stuck with him and are now rebuilding a decent team.

We were in the same boat. You simply cannot replace the third best manager in the world, with the connection TT had to the fans. We can learn from our mistakes - spend less money etc. - but that mistake cannot be undone.

54 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I wondered if we might move for Emery if Poch goes.

Because we like managers kicked out from PSG?
Because he didn't win the CL and is one of just 2 PSG managers not to come 2nd in Ligue 1 in 11 years (no prices for guessing the other).
It will be a big name or a rising star like Potter.  But hopefully they won't get anyone until the team justifies a top Jockey.  Right now they need jogging round the track with a stable hand.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

You simply cannot replace the third best manager in the world, with the connection TT had to the fans. We can learn from our mistakes - spend less money etc. - but that mistake cannot be undone.

You are right it cannot be undone, or can the toxic atmosphere bubbling in the background. Boos have already started how long before it gets as toxic as last season, if the club continues with poor results. 

• Agree 1

FM24 is released today so hopefully it will provide the transfer committee some ideas for the January window. I'm predicting we will end up signing a young striker from either Eastern Europe of South America with huge potential to lead the line for the second half of the season.

• Haha 1

Big news from Ornstein!!

Doesn't fit the data metrics set down by our moneyball approach. In ten years time we will have the greatest team in the world. Or, we will have diversified into a centre for ex footballers with severe mental health issues.

• Haha 1

Predictions for tonight, everyone?

I'll go 2-1 to Spurs, 95th minute heartbreaker winner from them, us the better side, Chelsea play very well but shafted by VAR and likely a dodgy sending off, us wasting more obvious chances than a 1980s BBC internal abuse enquiry. 

• Haha 1

Totally deluded, me. It comes from watching a once-great team forget what to do when they get over the halfway line. Anyhow, I'm not there tonight, and we never win when I am. And my personal trainer torturer (Spuds fan) did mention us calling it three-point lane this morning, so I'll take that as a portent. Total whupping by them despite three red cards, Anthony Taylor survives mutilation by rabid red kites and Mike Dean gets it right despite being electrocuted by his VAR console.  There, jinxed it nicely, I hope.

10 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Doesn't fit the data metrics set down by our moneyball approach. In ten years time we will have the greatest team in the world. Or, we will have diversified into a centre for ex footballers with severe mental health issues.

Tongue-in-cheek nature of your comment aside, are you really that bothered by us not signing Toney? 

He's an okay player, but that's all he really is at the end of the day. For the sort of prices being quoted, along with our own needs, I'd be wanting a bit more. 

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Tongue-in-cheek nature of your comment aside, are you really that bothered by us not signing Toney? 

He's an okay player, but that's all he really is at the end of the day. For the sort of prices being quoted, along with our own needs, I'd be wanting a bit more. 

Not at all because as soon as he joins us he will go from tortured misunderstood addict to the scourge of British football that is leading the youth astray. No, I was just generally questioning our transfer policy that has gone from setting an arbitrary age limit from 30 under Roman to presumably about 20 under Boehly.