Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Who is an elite level, Harry Kane sort of striker these days? I mean you have Kane, Haaland, arguably Alvarez, Osimhen maybe. Lewandowski, Mbappe, who else is there? 

Kane, Haaland and Mbappe arent gettable. Lewandowski is too old.  Leaves Alvarez and Osimhen. 

Osimhen is bigger and more physical and likely better able to hold the ball up but Alvarez is Prem proven and probably a more complete player, technically. 

Its not exactly rich pickings is it?

• Agree 2

On 07/11/2023 at 00:13, xceleryx said:

Tongue-in-cheek nature of your comment aside, are you really that bothered by us not signing Toney? 

He's an okay player, but that's all he really is at the end of the day. For the sort of prices being quoted, along with our own needs, I'd be wanting a bit more. 

To be honest, i'd steer well clear of Toney.  

I listened to his 'reveal all' interview on Diary of a CEO and I thought he came across as a bit of an idiot tbh.  There's baggage with him that we just don't need - has all the signs of a high-price, low-success striker of the type we have been prolific at identifying.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Morgs said:

Its not exactly rich pickings is it?

Osimhen is the only one. 

2 hours ago, Bert19 said:

I listened to his 'reveal all' interview on Diary of a CEO and I thought he came across as a bit of an idiot tbh.   

I listened to 20 minutes, and I had to switch off. Terrible interview, and like you say, not a very bright bloke.

Not sure I'd want to be responsible paying ludicrous money for a player with limited pedigree and who hasn't played a game since May (will be 31 January by the time he plays again)

On 06/11/2023 at 08:29, Blue Moon said:

Heart says Sneaky 1:0 or 0:1 decided in the last minute. Could go either way.

Head says it'll be a trouncing.

In fairness..and a nod to Ham.....BM didn't make it clear which team would do the trouncing and which team would be the trounced!😁

Regardless of anything 4-1 IS a trouncing...and for Droy..late goals are as valid as opening minute goals!..Remember the old inevitable 87/88/89 minute Scouse penalties?..and even the mandated last minute of added time Scouse goal at the weekend?....nobody questioned the validity then or now!

(In Peace and not a wind up..just a wry OG smile!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

3rd and 4th goals after 90 mins against a 9 man losing team are a lot lot easier than opening 75 min goals .

And long may it continue !...appreciate your pov and agree but really I couldn't give a Rats A*** when they go in for Chelsea😁

Somewhat away from that..all the talk of the Son miss (a weak effort lauded as a potential game changer )and the disallowed Dier effort  There were enough Chelsea chances with that basic long ball "tactic"...the Spurs keeper fpr me was MoM..,

Not too much mentioned about that and the glorious Spurs defeat....again disgraceful behaviour and mind boggling coach solution!

One for the memory stick!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

3rd and 4th goals after 90 mins against a 9 man losing team are a lot lot easier than opening 75 min goals .

I think you're been overly curmudgeonly, the game was a crazy, crazy game, we were by turn, awful, good, diabolical, very good, but, we did stick four past the medias darlings despite them literally trying to kick us into the new year. 

A win away at Spurs, despite the vagaries of the performance is a time for jubilation. 

We can come crashing back down to reality at the weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, hallgalley said:

Isn’t he also at the African nations cup.

so that would still leave No striker until Feb if he did somehow sign

He will be, yes. That said, looking it up he'd not actually miss many games for us in that period with how things standard. 

ACON runs from 13th Jan to 11th of Feb. We play Fulham on the 13th of Jan, Liverpool on the 31st, Wolves on 3rd of Feb, and Palace on the 10th with how things currently stand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hallgalley said:

Isn’t he also at the African nations cup.

so that would still leave No striker until Feb if he did somehow sign

I am much more bullish about our ability to convince Osimhen to join (ex-Chelsea fan / huge fan of Drogba growing up, current tensions with Napoli) than our ability to sign him in January. Nothing is impossible (see Enzo), but if we could get Osimhen in the summer I would be willing to wait and think that Nkunku coming back could partly fill the gap until then.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

So, while the doom-and-gloom merchants do go a bit far sometimes, myself included, there is reason to worry that we may have priced ourself out of our top choices moving forward due to our extravagant spending and continued failures on the pitch. We will be back, but there is some reason for concern about this and nobody seems quite sure how missing out on European football (again!) will affect us moving forward.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

So, while the doom-and-gloom merchants do go a bit far sometimes, myself included, there is reason to worry that we may have priced ourself out of our top choices moving forward due to our extravagant spending and continued failures on the pitch. We will be back, but there is some reason for concern about this and nobody seems quite sure how missing out on European football (again!) will affect us moving forward.

I would think they knew a month ago we are miles off the CL places. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I would think they knew a month ago we are miles off the CL places. 

We're only 9 points behind 4th now, 7 points off 5th (which will also be CL, right?)

I think the owners will absolutely think we can still make it, especially once Nkunku is back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Er. That was almost exclusively you!

Not true McCreadie.

I called for us to consider signing Maddison a few times, and ridiculed the idea that he was too old for our U25s policy, but I was really saying there were experienced options out there and we had shot ourselves in the foot relying on Nkunku.

I felt and still feel it was a really poor excuse from our board and some on here than Nkunku was injured, James was injured etc. We knew these guys were injury prone, bought backup for James but left ourselves well short up front.

But I always said Maddison was an injury risk:

To quote me, Sept 19th:

"Those also calling for Maddison should note what happens when he gets injured, which is bound to happen for a couple of months this season. My point was always this - if you rely on a small number of experienced pros you leave yourself open to problems. Especially if they are injury prone. Does that mean we should not have bought Nkunku? Not necessarily. But relying on him to be the one difference maker in our forward line spells disaster."

Sept 14th:

"BTW - if we are mentioning injuries, I think those of us who are looking at Maddison now and thinking "why didn't we sign him?" will be less worried once he gets injured as he does every season. 

At least if we'd signed him and Nkunku we would have spread the risk out a bit..."

Still stand by that although since then, credit to the board, Palmer in particular has stepped up to the plate massively.

Edited by Max Fowler

Anyone else still buzzing after yesterday? A point that feels like a win, rather than a draw that feels like a defeat as it usually is for us. 

Absolutely unreal game. Five points and eight goals scored in two games against Spurs and City. 

You just know we'll get d*cked by Everton and Man United now, but still.... 

It feels like a corner is in the process of being turned. 

And yes, my main man Conor Gallagher still the best player on the park again. Imagine how good we would be  if we had a goalkeeper! 

Edited by Morgs