Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

Silva and KK TBH are just mercenaries doing a job and both have not shown any real leadership qualities and doubt either will be part of the squad next season. 

I might have imagined it (like many other things) but didn't Silva already extend for next year?

13 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I might have imagined it (like many other things) but didn't Silva already extend for next year?

He did. We have another year of Silva. The three young lads - W Fofana, Badiashile and Colwill - need to learn as much as they can from him. (I think Chalobah will be sold as he's pretty much reached his ceiling, and he'd be 5th/6th choice in a back four)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

He did. We have another year of Silva. The three young lads - W Fofana, Badiashile and Colwill - need to learn as much as they can from him. (I think Chalobah will be sold as he's pretty much reached his ceiling, and he'd be 5th/6th choice in a back four)

Silva is on his way this summer back to Brazil according to Tim Vickery who’s knowledge of South America football is above most of the usual press. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Silva is on his way this summer back to Brazil according to Tim Vickery who’s knowledge of South America football is above most of the usual press. 

That would be a shame if true (and agreed that Vickery knows his stuff about South American, and especially Brazilian, football)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

That would be a shame if true (and agreed that Vickery knows his stuff about South American, and especially Brazilian, football)

He's a great pro but he's just wrong for how we should be playing as he has to be in a three to function at his best and it looks like we are trying to transition away from that.

14 hours ago, ROTG said:

Did a bit of digging on this... the origin of the story lies with the president of Fluminense who has said he'd like to bring Silva back to the club. Vickery has merely repeated Mario Bittencourt's words.  That's not to say it might not happen, but I hope Silva stays one more year. It would be a shame if he missed out on a PL title (imagine how Koulibaly must be feeling at the moment, after all those years at Napoli?)

23 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Forgive my ignorance…is Kalvin Phillips a holding midfielder? Is he good?

He was good in Beielsas high pressing Leeds team. He really has a good engine but isn't getting a look in at City and if Rice is a 10 I'd rate Phillips a 8. Anyone else got a view? 

22 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Did a bit of digging on this... the origin of the story lies with the president of Fluminense who has said he'd like to bring Silva back to the club. Vickery has merely repeated Mario Bittencourt's words.  That's not to say it might not happen, but I hope Silva stays one more year. It would be a shame if he missed out on a PL title (imagine how Koulibaly must be feeling at the moment, after all those years at Napoli?)

Maybe that's all it took for Napoli. Offload KK and win the league. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/05/2023 at 21:24, ROTG said:

I really hope this is the case.

On 07/05/2023 at 10:15, Blue Orca said:

He was good in Beielsas high pressing Leeds team. He really has a good engine but isn't getting a look in at City and if Rice is a 10 I'd rate Phillips a 8. Anyone else got a view? 

If Pep is prepared to let him go after a season, he’s a dud the Chelsea don’t need. 

I thought he might have a good signing in last summers transfer window, however if he’s not doing it for Pep then it best to give him a wide berth. Would not be surprised to see him replace rice at West Spam which is probably his level. 

Edited by ROTG

7 minutes ago, ROTG said:

If Pep is prepared to let him go after a season, he’s a dud the Chelsea don’t need. 

I thought he might have a good signing in last summers transfer window, however if he’s not doing it for Pep then it best to give him a wide berth. Would not be surprised to see him replace rice at West Spam which is probably his level. 

Take your point and agree up to a point..wasn't he injured for a long time?

Hard to get in the side so late in the season and maybe he's one for next season with a change up of some Citeh older players ?

5 hours ago, Bison said:

I really hope this is the case.

If he stays then his playing time needs to be Managed. 

KK can go tomorrow. 

Dunk IMO is the one for 38 games plus leading the back line and squad. He is a player who will kiss the badge and mean it.  

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Dunk IMO is the one for 38 games plus leading the back line and squad. He is a player who will kiss the badge and mean it.  

I don't think he'd walk away from the chance of European football for the first time in his life. 

I also dont think KK is all that bad, can't jump but other than that... 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

I doubt Pep is letting him go, though. Looks a similar situation to Grealish.  Player brought in, then used sparingly and sporadically in the first season, to the point where journos (and supporters) are wondering a) why buy him and b) is he on his way out?

I suspect he was seen as a sort of successor to Gündogan and will be starting many games for City next season.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

If he stays then his playing time needs to be Managed. 

KK can go tomorrow. 

Dunk who is currently having a shocking game as Brighton are losing 3-0 at home to Everton. I know he's a Chelsea supporter but no thanks. 

As for Thiago, he has served us well and should be given the opportunity to return home with his family. Let's really start our supposed rebuild and actually develop players like Badiashile and hopefully Colwill. 

29 minutes ago, Bison said:

As for Thiago, he has served us well and should be given the opportunity to return home with his family. Let's really start our supposed rebuild and actually develop players like Badiashile and hopefully Colwill. 

If Thiago Silva wanted to return to Brazil, why did he sign a contract extension?

He shows no sign of wanting away. He and hiss family look very settled in London/urrey. He's been one of our best players (again) this season. We have a bunch of very good but young centre backs (W Fofana, Badiashile, Colwill & Chalobah) who could all do with a guiding hand.  I, for one, have no problem with Silva staying another  season and can't understand why there are a few on this forum who seem eager to see the back of him.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

If Thiago Silva wanted to return to Brazil, why did he sign a contract extension?

He shows no sign of wanting away. He and hiss family look very settled in London/urrey. He's been one of our best players (again) this season. We have a bunch of very good but young centre backs (W Fofana, Badiashile, Colwill & Chalobah) who could all do with a guiding hand.  I, for one, have no problem with Silva staying another  season and can't understand why there are a few on this forum who seem eager to see the back of him.

I think he's been brilliant and I'd still like to keep him for all the reasons you give above but I have reservations about how well he does in a two, I feel he leaves too much empty space for the opposition to attack when Chilly is off. 

As I say I'm happy if he stays, he's a proper footballer. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he's been brilliant and I'd still like to keep him for all the reasons you give above but I have reservations about how well he does in a two, I feel he leaves too much empty space for the opposition to attack when Chilly is off. 

As I say I'm happy if he stays, he's a proper footballer. 

He looks OK in a two (having played in a two much of his career) when the team he's playing in is coached properly. 

I see people talk about him being slow. Whilst not being the fastest defender, he's by no means slow, and his anticipation and reading of the game means he's not that often caught out (show me a defender who is 100% perfect).  More importantly, his athleticism hasn't dropped off much with age.  His 'speed' or 'slowness' (depending on one's viewpoint) is pretty much the same now as 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I can only assume Silva signed his extension when we were a Champions League club and may not have the intentions of sticking around for the rebuild we're about to embark on.

His son does play for our U14s so maybe he's staying around for that. 

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

By the same logic Pep let Sterling go knowing he could get by without him, and did just that. Philips has been injured and is younger than Kova and is good on the ball. If we aren't getting Rice then Philips would be an improvement on what we have as Kante seems injury prone now.