Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, SideshowLuiz said:

Anyone watched Mikel's latest podcast ep? Osimhen was the guest, agent Mikel working his magic to push him to join us next season 😂 love hearing him still refer to Chelsea as 'we', top lad.

Good, and as he said in the JT edition Mikel was Chelsea long before he officially signed for us.

Out of interest - did anyone watch the Lampard edition?  There don't seem to be many interesting points in the 2 hours other than the club telling Lampard they wouldn't bid £20m+ for a 16yo Bellingham.  I should think half the managers in the prem were asking for that.

44 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Anyone else still buzzing after yesterday? A point that feels like a win, rather than a draw that feels like a defeat as it usually is for us. 

Absolutely unreal game. Five points and eight goals scored in two games against Spurs and City. 

You just know we'll get d*cked by Everton and Man United now, but still.... 

It feels like a corner is in the process of being turned. 

And yes, my main man Conor Gallagher still the best player on the park again. Imagine how good we would be  if we had a goalkeeper! 

So they gave us an extra point for entertainment value?

Well deserved. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I watched it but it's noticeable how less forthcoming current players are, not surprisingly. I have to say though Obi should be on the payroll to help get us this type of player.

Funny how everyone always forgets about Costa when they wax lyrical about Drogba and his legacy (or lack thereof).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Funny how everyone always forgets about Costa when they wax lyrical about Drogba and his legacy (or lack thereof).

Didn't do it long enough I suppose. His numbers look good domestically but the problem with Costa was that he'd look unstoppable until the second half of the season, then typically his output would diminish - the sole exception being his second season here where the script got flipped. His output in Europe was also terrible, to be frank. He arguably should've been better than he was. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

here's the video of Mikel trying to convince Osimhen 😄 

Mikel was another player that never fulfilled his potential.He was never in the top 100 players that played midfield  for us imo.

He used to dance about with no end product - like Jorginho only faster.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

Possibly kev is coming from somewhere about my take on Mikel..... I agree with Bison and MT but I always just felt he never quite stepped up to his full potential...not far short mind but I always had that at the back of my mind.

But given he was not a spectacular player visually and his work was often under appreciated maybe that ..imho..might be relevant?

4 hours ago, chara said:

Possibly kev is coming from somewhere about my take on Mikel..... I agree with Bison and MT but I always just felt he never quite stepped up to his full potential...not far short mind but I always had that at the back of my mind.

But given he was not a spectacular player visually and his work was often under appreciated maybe that ..imho..might be relevant?

I think it's important to note that Mikel simply went about the defensive job he was asked to do, he didn't need to be some all-action type of player when we had the likes of Lampard, Essien, Ballack and co in the team. 

He showed when he played for Nigeria, in his original attacking midfield role, that he could do more, it just wasn't really necessary of him here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I think it's important to note that Mikel simply went about the defensive job he was asked to do, he didn't need to be some all-action type of player when we had the likes of Lampard, Essien, Ballack and co in the team. 

He showed when he played for Nigeria, in his original attacking midfield role, that he could do more, it just wasn't really necessary of him here. 

Agreed. When I saw him play for Nigeria as a number 10 I was stunned at how good he was in that role. 

Never forget his performance in the 2012 CL final. Drogba aside, the reason we stayed in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Feels a bit like recycling of information with the upcoming international break slowing club news down. 

Oshimen is one of the natural "big name" candidates that's genuinely likely to be obtainable. 

Toney doesn't represent value for money based on the figures being thrown about.

Nusa is 18 and been considered the "Norwegian Neymar", very much a wide forward type and does nothing to remedy the striker situation at present. Think we were linked with him a month or two ago. 

5 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Feels a bit like recycling of information with the upcoming international break slowing club news down. 

Oshimen is one of the natural "big name" candidates that's genuinely likely to be obtainable. 

Toney doesn't represent value for money based on the figures being thrown about.

Nusa is 18 and been considered the "Norwegian Neymar", very much a wide forward type and does nothing to remedy the striker situation at present. Think we were linked with him a month or two ago. 

I think the new "information" is that Osimhen would be interested in a move; previously that's only been assumed based on him being such a Drogba fan and falling out with Napoli.

Plus it genuinely seems like Osimhen is now our number one target - previously that looked like Toney.

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Mikel was another player that never fulfilled his potential.He was never in the top 100 players that played midfield  for us imo.

I look forward to hearing the list of 100 better midfielders than Mikel.

Go..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Sorry Kev, I cannot agree. I am a card-carrying member of the Jon Boy fanclub, the bloke was a hero of mine. Like a Nigerian Zidane. One of the major heroes of 2012. A certified, 24 carat gold genuiney bona-fidey club legend. 

IMO of course.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Morgs said:

Sorry Kev, I cannot agree. I am a card-carrying member of the Jon Boy fanclub, the bloke was a hero of mine. Like a Nigerian Zidane. One of the major heroes of 2012. A certified, 24 carat gold genuiney bona-fidey club legend. 

IMO of course.

Me too. Absolutely brilliant player. Loved Mikel to bits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Agreed. When I saw him play for Nigeria as a number 10 I was stunned at how good he was in that role. 

Never forget his performance in the 2012 CL final. Drogba aside, the reason we stayed in the game. 

His pass to Lampard who set Drog free in the FA Cup Final was magnificent. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Totally respect your opinion of course but I also totally disagree. IMO Mikel was absolutely superb. 

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

Here's Mikel famously dancing around with no end product on the best night in the club's history:

Fabulous player.  The ball would ping pong around and hit Mikel.  His honey soaked boots would turn crazy ball into quality ball and we would be off.  The clip shows that perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

Fabulous player.  The ball would ping pong around and hit Mikel.  His honey soaked boots would turn crazy ball into quality ball and we would be off.  The clip shows that perfectly.

Like him as a player or not, every manager involved with us whilst he was here picked him and we won all sorts of titles with him playing.