Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Sounds like top brass are divided on Toney vs. Osimhen.

Personally I think we miss out on Toney (he goes to Arsenal) and then we have to go Osimhen.

I would hope the board could come to that conclusion any way.

45 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Sorry this is nonsense.
It is 5 weeks before the January window opens and any targets are certainly well defined now.  Quite ridiculous to suggest the club has not decided if and who it wants yet.  Deals have been pencilled in already.
Another case of reporters reporting on their own inabiity to find out facts by pretending the facts don't exist yet.

The carrot IS in a box.  They just don't know which.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Sorry this is nonsense.
It is 5 weeks before the January window opens and any targets are certainly well defined now.  Quite ridiculous to suggest the club has not decided if and who it wants yet.  Deals have been pencilled in already.
Another case of reporters reporting on their own inabiity to find out facts by pretending the facts don't exist yet.

The carrot IS in a box.  They just don't know which.

So you think we have decided on Osimhen OR Toney? I think I trust Fabrizio on this one, Droy.

19 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

So you think we have decided on Osimhen OR Toney? I think I trust Fabrizio on this one, Droy.

In fairness I think it is a rubbish lazy quote...substitute any name and it still says nothing,,,"discussing", "liking", "taking time to decide"...Duh!.....

Been snowing here since late yesterday afternoon  -12c....not snowed in but been desperate all day to find an issue to comment on... not a reflection of the posters...but with the International break gone..thank goodness...the last game a distant memory and everything been said about tomorrow the best we have is a hack's "prove my  jobsworth" effort!

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

The carrot is in the box.  Pretending it is not is pretending he is reporting on a live story rather than does not know what has happened on an already completed one.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I think the management will decide to hold fire on either Toney or Osimhen until the summer. I think they will try to sell Chalobah and Sarr and maybe another. Maatsen, maybe. 

I hope we do a deal in advance for Osimhen's arrival in the summer, like we did with Nkunku. Age, the fact he was a Chelsea fan and prefers to join us over others, and he is an elite level international striker will all play in our favour.

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think the management will decide to hold fire on either Toney or Osimhen until the summer. I think they will try to sell Chalobah and Sarr and maybe another. Maatsen, maybe. 

I definitely don't think we'll be bringing in anyone in January before sorting out any outgoings and if anyone does come in, I can't see it being more than 1 signing and that may even be a sign now, joining in the summer type signing as @Max Fowler said.

On 24/11/2023 at 13:33, Dwmh said:

think some people are in for a shock.  We had a couple of good results.  Because we found one of the very few teams that is happy to gamble hard to risk 1 point to get 3.  And before that because of 2 Red cards and a Pen.
It is one thing to say bad luck has been balanced out.  Quite another to think we are on a roll.

Back to where we were

On 24/11/2023 at 19:31, Max Fowler said:

I genuinely think Mount and Havertz have found their level. I don't see them exploding again. Havertz is simply not good enough for the league

Not sure about that. Came on a got them 3 points to put the Arse top of the shop. 

When we were linked with Antony Gordon over a year ago I remember there was so many comments made about him not being good enough, not worth the money etc. 

Look at him now. He cost less than Mudryk and Newcastle fans don't have to constantly lie to themselves about about him becoming a good player in five years time. He is 10x the player Mudryk will ever be.

3 hours ago, Bison said:

When we were linked with Antony Gordon over a year ago I remember there was so many comments made about him not being good enough, not worth the money etc. 

Look at him now. He cost less than Mudryk and Newcastle fans don't have to constantly lie to themselves about about him becoming a good player in five years time. He is 10x the player Mudryk will ever be.

Yep I will completely admit I was wrong on him. I banged that drum so many times but now he looks like he would be handy in our squad. In fact, he's done so well it's made me think our owner's data analysis might have some merit after all.

Tuchel didn't want him though. I think Tuchel wanted ready made players a level above Gordon. Dembele, Sane, those kind of characters. Still raises questions if we would have been better backing him with that kind of philosophy.

Like you said, I would much rather have Gordon than Mudryk right now.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Yep I will completely admit I was wrong on him. I banged that drum so many times but now he looks like he would be handy in our squad. In fact, he's done so well it's made me think our owner's data analysis might have some merit after all.

Tuchel didn't want him though. I think Tuchel wanted ready made players a level above Gordon. Dembele, Sane, those kind of characters. Still raises questions if we would have been better backing him with that kind of philosophy.

Like you said, I would much rather have Gordon than Mudryk right now.

I think the story is that Tuchel wanted Gordon after liking his performances against us the season before. The 'data analysis' is presumably behind the horrendous decision sign to Mudryk. 

22 minutes ago, Bison said:

I think the story is that Tuchel wanted Gordon after liking his performances against us the season before. The 'data analysis' is presumably behind the horrendous decision sign to Mudryk. 

Funny - I remembered Tuchel rejecting Gordon after the board suggested him. Seems like there are conflicting reports.

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Funny - I remembered Tuchel rejecting Gordon after the board suggested him. Seems like there are conflicting reports.

Did Tuchel actually say this or is this just more disposable Simon phillips meaningless claims?

Serious point here - if you start basing your ideas on suprious claims you won't even recognise what is actually going on around you.

8 hours ago, ROTG said:

Not sure about that. Came on a got them 3 points to put the Arse top of the shop. 

So by scoring a goal, his first goal from open play, in late November, he proved that he is good enough for this league?

So Nico Jackson must be amongst the greatest PL players of his generation then. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

As mentioned, Poch has final say on transfers now

Oh dear - you really believe this nonsense.
Look at it scientifically.  2 hypotheses.
Theory 1.  Poch has final say.
Theory 2.  Poch has no say at all.

Implications for what the club and Poch will tell journalists.
Theory 1 they will both say Poch has final say.
Theory 2...............................................................................

I don't want to list the different major news events of this decade, but we all know what the press will say and we all know that the actual truth is unconnected.

5 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Theory 2...............................................................................

I don't want to list the different major news events of this decade, but we all know what the press will say and we all know that the actual truth is unconnected.

I know what you mean but a coach with 18 months left on his deal and, as it stands with no chance of an extention arriving any time soon, having final say on transfers is exactly the omnishambles I've now come to associate with Boehly and Clearlake.

5 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I'd like to hear someone else chime in - does anyone else think every story I have been sharing is made up or dubious?

Again, I don't believe that everything I have shared will be 100% accurate all the time, but I try to repost the more likely to be accurate sources or stories that are getting corroborated across journalists and across time.

I don't believe everything Droy but I believe you can form a rough view of where our club is at and what is going on behind the scenes.

I feel your response to any shared bit of journalism is just broad brush - all journalists are hacks, don't know what they are talking about and just making it up as they go along.