Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Linked quite a bit with Lautaro Martinez in the last few days. Haven't seen much of him the last couple of years but always thought he had the potential to be a superstar. Clearly a deal with Lukaku would make a lot of sense.

What you saying @xceleryx, what's he like now and what are the chances?

15 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Linked quite a bit with Lautaro Martinez in the last few days. Haven't seen much of him the last couple of years but always thought he had the potential to be a superstar. Clearly a deal with Lukaku would make a lot of sense.

We were linked with him last summer, and then again just after (why, who knows?) the Jan window closed. Then nothing until the last few days. I suspect both he and Pochettino being Argentinian has a lot to do with these stories popping up again.  If you look at the most recent rumours, they're either players Poch has coached before (Kane), that are Argentinian (Martinez) or both (Messi... yes, even he is being linked to us!!!)

59 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

By the same logic Pep let Sterling go knowing he could get by without him,

Pep let Sterling go after 5 seasons when he decided to remodel the front line. Along other Jesus and Zinchenko at the back. Pep usually only moves players if they are of no use any longer or dud. Unfortunately Philips is the latter mid PL quality. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

For all those down on Silva and happy to see him leave in the summer, I've just come across this on the club's official Twitter feed.

FviH_vmWYAMdibK.jpg

I am continually amazed by this giant of a player... I would like to see him stay but I'd rather he left now with a clear memory of him for all of us than see a decline as per Dave/Brana..not that is a given at this time.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Despite having a good record, I think he's got nearly 20 goals this season in Serie A, his form can be quite up and down. He's prone to going through some pretty rough periods just as much as he shows moments of genuine quality. I suppose you could say he can be inconsistent. Personally, I think he also works best playing off a partner opposed to being the main focal point, but can he do both. 

Not sure I'd want us spending huge money on him as I'm not convinced he'll get better, but I think if Inter are trying to dig themselves out of their financial situation he'll be one of the ones they sell should they get the £70m or so that's been floated about. I would imagine Inter fans would rather sell Lautaro than the likes of Barella or Bastoni. 

Going to throw a bit of a curve ball out there for next season, but thoughts on Willian on a free? We could use another wide player, he's been cooking at Fulham despite being 34 and he knows the club. As a short term experienced and inexpensive option (a big plus right now) I wouldn't be mad at seeing him return.

Would give us Sterling, Madueke, Mudryk and Willian as our four wide options. With Nkunku and Mount (should he stay) as others who can slot in on the left if ever needed. 

Much better than seeing either Ziyech or Pulisic remain, I know that much. 

33 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Signing me would be better than seeing Ziyech and Pulisic remain. I kid you not.

I heard you had a wicked left foot Michael any truth?.

Edited by kev61

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And what a shame we’ve no chance of Declan Rice now ☹️

I mean I wouldn't rule us completely out yet. We can still sell ourselves as just having a blip and will be back to the CL within a season, we have a good manager coming, a good set of players and more to come...I'd like to hope so anyway...

In other news:
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-news-joao-felix-atletico-pochettino-b1079734.html

Cucurella and Auba to Atletico, as part of deal for us to keep Felix. 

7 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

at the price which West Ham are asking - i think its no bad thing. 

The more I watch Rice, the more I think he's worth every penny of that valuation.

24 years old.   200+ Premiership games under his belt.   Club captain.   40+ international caps. 

So a born leader (something many on this forum claim, rightly, that we lack) with plenty of top level experience yet to reach his peak.  In today's market (and including the PL club to PL club "tax" for the highest talent)  £100m might actually turn out to be a bargain (especially if signing him helps convince Mount to stay)

From a purely footballing point of view (so forget the £££), he's also pretty much the ideal partner for Enzo.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

The more I watch Rice, the more I think he's worth every penny of that valuation.

24 years old.   200+ Premiership games under his belt.   Club captain.   40+ international caps. 

So a born leader (something many on this forum claim, rightly, that we lack) with plenty of top level experience yet to reach his peak.  In today's market (and including the PL club to PL club "tax" for the highest talent)  £100m might actually turn out to be a bargain (especially if signing him helps convince Mount to stay)

From a purely footballing point of view (so forget the £££), he's also pretty much the ideal partner for Enzo.

The more I watch him the more I think he is nowhere near worth what they are apparently asking. You just don't pay that sort of money for that sort of footballer. He's very good at what he does but what he does doesn't warrant the apparent price tag.

I'd love us to sign him but not anywhere near £100m.

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

The more I watch him the more I think he is nowhere near worth what they are apparently asking. You just don't pay that sort of money for that sort of footballer. He's very good at what he does but what he does doesn't warrant the apparent price tag.

I'd love us to sign him but not anywhere near £100m.

We’ve signed players on silly money that have been nowhere near Rice. Fofana £70m, Kepa £70m, Lukaku £97m. If Rice cost £100m he’s worth every penny imo. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We’ve signed players on silly money that have been nowhere near Rice. Fofana £70m, Kepa £70m, Lukaku £97m. If Rice cost £100m he’s worth every penny imo. 

I don't think overspending in the past is a reason to do it again, although I'd argue Fofana will be worth every penny, he's going to be world class.

The type of player Rice is, will never, in my opinion, be the type of player that warrants that sort of price tag. Rodri was a similar age when he went to City and cost £60m odd. Fabinho cost Liverpool £40m. Those sort of players just don't cost that sort of money.

I've said for years how much I rate him although always thought he'd end up as a centre half, he proved me wrong there, and I'd love him here but no getting away from the fact that it's a silly amount of money for a player of his type.

32 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think overspending in the past is a reason to do it again, although I'd argue Fofana will be worth every penny, he's going to be world class.

The type of player Rice is, will never, in my opinion, be the type of player that warrants that sort of price tag. Rodri was a similar age when he went to City and cost £60m odd. Fabinho cost Liverpool £40m. Those sort of players just don't cost that sort of money.

I've said for years how much I rate him although always thought he'd end up as a centre half, he proved me wrong there, and I'd love him here but no getting away from the fact that it's a silly amount of money for a player of his type.

I kind of get what you’re saying, but Rodri and Fabinho were both bought 3-5 years ago, and the rate of inflation of transfer fees right now, you could probably add  at least 30% to those easily.  Man United have just spent c.£70m on a 30 year old Casemiro! 

The other thing I’d say is that both of them were signed from abroad which carries a degree of risk (ie Bakayoko).  Rice on the other hand, has 200 appearances in the PL and rightly or wrongly, is English and a “leader” and therefore those characteristics and personality traits will also be driving his price up.  Finally, he is very sought after, which West Ham will know and all of these aspects will play a part in how they value him. 

Personally, if there is a window of opportunity for us to get Rice, I’d spend £100m on him.  He is ideal for us.  

• Agree 1

On 08/05/2023 at 22:35, ROTG said:

Pep let Sterling go after 5 seasons when he decided to remodel the front line. Along other Jesus and Zinchenko at the back. Pep usually only moves players if they are of no use any longer or dud. Unfortunately Philips is the latter mid PL quality. 

When you say remodel, City fans would say improve.  Sterling of 5 years ago would have been a good addition. However, mid PL quality is exactly what Sterling is now. 

• Agree 1