Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

8 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Last thing: I’ve never seen this Osmihen play. Never heard of him. Who here REALLY knows how good he is beyond a) he’s a striker and possibly available and b) he’s a shiny new toy and looks great on FIFA/YouTube? 🧐 

He's playing tonight against Madrid if you want to do some scouting 😄 Seriously I've not watched that much but his record speaks for itself and it actually counted for something - winning the first Serie A for Napoli in 33 years (26 goals + 6 assists in 33 league games in the process).

I reckon he's not quite as much of a generational talent as Haaland but he really is among the top strikers around (albeit a poor bunch). His injury record worries me a bit.

But there are some rumours the club wants players who really want to play for Chelsea (see Caicedo). It seems like Osimhen might be in that camp (prefer us over Arsenal as was a Chelsea fan growing up) and for me that is a big draw. If we could sign him over the likes of Arsenal, given where we are in the league, it would be a statement signing and IMO worth doing now while we still can.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

So is Guehi that for you? I confess I have not followed him that closely, but I don't think he is any kind of upgrade on what we already have. For £50+ million (could be 60-70) and especially given we have to pick our targets now due to FFP, it would be a terrible bit of business.

If we could find a rolls royce of a centre back for even more money, I'd be right behind it. Let's see what emerges but I fear that's not what we are looking at. For me this comes back to squad balance and transfer planning. We spent all that money on defensive midfielders and our first choice trio is obviously extremely small. We seem to be making similar mistakes again.

Our biggest problem IMO (despite our defensive mistakes at the weekend) is up front. We not only need a striker - we would benefit from at least another forward player / winger / creative midfielder (I would say two) 

As mentioned, I would at least be looking at getting Osimhen and Kvaratskhelia from Napoli but that's the best part of 200 million.

If we can't afford that fair enough - but don't go mucking around with Mark Guehi or another 50 million pound defender. We don't need them. Reeks or more terrible transfer planning from our football experts.

For me he isn't, no. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a tidy player but he's not a particularly commanding. He's not the level of player that would move the needle in any profound way, it would be like adding more of what we've already got. Any CB that comes in needs to be a bit of a difference maker, or as mentioned before, fill the gaps we have in terms of skillset and in a leadership capacity. 

A proper CF still remains the priority for now, with another attacker a close second. Problem is finding those that can sort of immediately step in and raise the floor of the side on their own, a tricky and likely expensive task. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

For me he isn't, no. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a tidy player but he's not a particularly commanding. He's not the level of player that would move the needle in any profound way, it would be like adding more of what we've already got. Any CB that comes in needs to be a bit of a difference maker, or as mentioned before, fill the gaps we have in terms of skillset and in a leadership capacity. 

A proper CF still remains the priority for now, with another attacker a close second. Problem is finding those that can sort of immediately step in and raise the floor of the side on their own, a tricky and likely expensive task. 

We would be better if you were in charge. I think we are neither looking at a difference-making centre half or a second attacker. Nor are we targeting players of the right profile (experience, character, fight) outside of maybe Osimhen.

It's plain to everyone that we need some more winners in the side but I simply don't think it's plain to the owners yet. I think they think we are just a couple of signings away from being complete and we are already a ready made top four side. 

33 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Last thing: I’ve never seen this Osmihen play. Never heard of him. Who here REALLY knows how good he is beyond a) he’s a striker and possibly available and b) he’s a shiny new toy and looks great on FIFA/YouTube? 🧐 

Seen enough of him to have a solid opinion, although seen less of him this season as the streaming service I used to watch Serie A on lost its rights and it's more of a hassle to catch games. Anyway, he's tall with a strong physical presence and rapid pace. Technically a little so-so at times, but also capable of taking players on via the dribble and creating space to shoot. Decent aerial presence, capable of finishing headers also and has a good leap on him. Does suit English football more than a few others we've signed upfront from elsewhere, but also don't think he'll quite get the numbers he has done so far either. Also has had a couple of injuries. 

Think he's the stand out candidate if we're after a more established bigger name, but also don't think he's worth £100m + either. 

YT vid for additional reference. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Seen enough of him to have a solid opinion, although seen less of him this season as the streaming service I used to watch Serie A on lost its rights and it's more of a hassle to catch games. Anyway, he's tall with a strong physical presence and rapid pace. Technically a little so-so at times, but also capable of taking players on via the dribble and creating space to shoot. Decent aerial presence, capable of finishing headers also and has a good leap on him. Does suit English football more than a few others we've signed upfront from elsewhere, but also don't think he'll quite get the numbers he has done so far either. Also has had a couple of injuries. 

Think he's the stand out candidate if we're after a more established bigger name, but also don't think he's worth £100m + either. 

YT vid for additional reference. 

So best of a bad bunch and likely to be another entry in the Chelsea Strikers’ Graveyard?

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

He's playing tonight against Madrid if you want to do some scouting 😄 Seriously I've not watched that much but his record speaks for itself and it actually counted for something - winning the first Serie A for Napoli in 33 years (26 goals + 6 assists in 33 league games in the process).

I reckon he's not quite as much of a generational talent as Haaland but he really is among the top strikers around (albeit a poor bunch). His injury record worries me a bit.

But there are some rumours the club wants players who really want to play for Chelsea (see Caicedo). It seems like Osimhen might be in that camp (prefer us over Arsenal as was a Chelsea fan growing up) and for me that is a big draw. If we could sign him over the likes of Arsenal, given where we are in the league, it would be a statement signing and IMO worth doing now while we still can.

Do you really believe that “I only ever wanted to play for Chelsea” crap? IMO players are motivated by money. It’s like when they sign for Liverpool they were always Liverpool fans as kids - even though they probably didn’t even know where it was! All the talk is fed to them by their agents for PR imo. 

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

A centre-back. Maybe Fofana really is broken. Even then we have enough, no? Colwill, Axel, Trev, Badashile, and Silva (though I don’t think he should be starting). 

Wesley was £70,000,000m and when he’s played hasn’t impressed me tbh. Maybe Trev is going. 

But also I don’t think it’s the players per se that’s the problem. It’s the mentality. We’ve signed some good players (some not so good) but it’s on Poch to toughen them up and themselves to do the same. We do look a bit more robust but maybe we really are the selfish, preening, weak, entitled, stupid Instabrats that we seem to be - with a very few exceptions. Can’t see any manager changing that. Maybe Tommy. Maybe Jose. Maybe Antonio Conte.

I think also it’s more a case of too much too soon but that’s in the past. 😬

I think Trev is definitely gone , double whammy for him , not wanted and home grown so pure profit 

Fofana was pretty good at Leicester but I agree I think the club think he's done at a top level (mind you...)

I think despite my ranting and raving about what a bunch of pansies that we have who don't like to put themselves about coupled with the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz as a coach , the players have by now cottoned on to the fact that referees simply officiate our games differently to everyone else , what's a foul , what's a yellow card , what's a red card are all applied differently where we are involved and they're doing it on purpose , it's difficult to get a hold on a game with a handpicked "homer" ref allowing the opposition fans to run the line and letting the home side dive , kick and cheat whilst simultaneously hammering anyone in blue who tries the same.

This ties in with the nicey-nicey , everyone's mate , please don't let on I'm clueless , cowardly approach with the media that Pochettino applies as his default , everyone knows Gary O'Neil has had enough with the officiating , everyone knows Klopp won't stand for certain refs derailing his season, why ? Because they told everyone post match .

Pochettino preferred the "sack cloth and ashes" approach capitulating and saying he'd try harder to be nice.

Osimhen , I couldn't pick him out of a line up if the others were the seven dwarves but at least he isn't Toney .  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Do you really believe that “I only ever wanted to play for Chelsea” crap? IMO players are motivated by money. It’s like when they sign for Liverpool they were always Liverpool fans as kids - even though they probably didn’t even know where it was! All the talk is fed to them by their agents for PR imo. 

Generally right I can only recall two players that could have moved to better contracts elsewhere back in the day that stayed, Matt Le Tissier and Steve Bull. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I think if he's grown up a massive fan of Drogba and worn a Chelsea shirt as a kid, it makes a difference. I also think the fact that Caicedo chose us over Liverpool is brilliant - he's only on 150k so it's not like we broke our wage bill for him. We may have to break our structure to get in Osimhen - but I think if he wants to play for us even though we are a shambles right now, it says something.

19 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I think if he's grown up a massive fan of Drogba and worn a Chelsea shirt as a kid, it makes a difference. I also think the fact that Caicedo chose us over Liverpool is brilliant - he's only on 150k so it's not like we broke our wage bill for him. We may have to break our structure to get in Osimhen - but I think if he wants to play for us even though we are a shambles right now, it says something.

Well we will see, my dear chap. We will see. 👀💯😬🙈

1 minute ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Well we will see, my dear chap. We will see. 👀💯😬🙈

Matthew's ChatGPT history:
Today: "Dear ChatGPT, which four emojis should I use if I have lost an argument?"
Yesterday: "Dear ChatGPT, which four emojis should I use to seduce a lady friend?"

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Matthew's ChatGPT history:
Today: "Dear ChatGPT, which four emojis should I use if I have lost an argument?"
Yesterday: "Dear ChatGPT, which four emojis should I use to seduce a lady friend?"

You may call me by my actual given name - which is Matt. 🫡😉💙

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think Trev is definitely gone , double whammy for him , not wanted and home grown so pure profit 

So Chalobah "Trevoh Chalobah signed a 6 year / £15,600,000 contract with the Chelsea F.C., including an annual average salary of £2,600,000. In 2023, Chalobah will earn a base salary of £2,600,000, while carrying a cap hit of £2,600,000"

That is Spotrac so only the "signed a 6 year contract" is likely to have been sourced.  But lets assume that it is a good guess.
Does any bottom half PL team want to give him a 4 1/2 year contract of £50k a week till he is 29?
And will they guarantee him no penalties if they get relegated?
Does any top half team want him?

I like him a lot, I don't consider losing frequently in last seasons team something I'd blame any player for, and he was plain good under TT.  But I think getting more than £10m for him will not be easy.   (Whereas reporting £25m will be a doddle.)

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think despite my ranting and raving about what a bunch of pansies that we have who don't like to put themselves about coupled with the Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz as a coach , the players have by now cottoned on to the fact that referees simply officiate our games differently to everyone else , what's a foul , what's a yellow card , what's a red card are all applied differently where we are involved and they're doing it on purpose , it's difficult to get a hold on a game with a handpicked "homer" ref allowing the opposition fans to run the line and letting the home side dive , kick and cheat whilst simultaneously hammering anyone in blue who tries the same.

Mark we watched the refs stuff chelsea week in week out from about 2005 to 2015.  I complained about it constantly more than anyone.
Then it stopped.  It has just been random since then.  We have had games like the spurs double Red and the absolutely staggering double Red and penalty in the Ajax game, and still you think they are after us.

Ever since we were so crap in 2015/16 (and IMO ever since PMGOL had to eat humble pie after the Clattenberg scandal that saw him packed off with early retirement soon after) the refs have been reasonable.
Conte didn't suffer.   No one has suffered since.
I'm not saying bias doesn't exist, and I am certainly not saying VAR has helped against bias, but chelsea have not been since that 2016 Spurs game.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Osimhen , I couldn't pick him out of a line up if the others were the seven dwarves but at least he isn't Toney .  

Nice line  🙂

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Don't look Droy.

so the Great and incredibly reliable Simon Phillips is quoting  a female youtuber football tactician.
That is how well informed he is.

Never heard of her myself but she looks good.  Could do with a bit of editorial advice for her titles

The clubs  know what is in the box - its a carrot.  We are Jon Richardson.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Name any of the recruited CB & FB recruited under the current regime have moved the needle in an upward trajectory. 

Cheers @Mark Kelly

16 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Name any of the recruited CB & FB recruited under the current regime have moved the needle in an upward trajectory. 

Cheers @Mark Kelly

I think most of the defensive signings under Clearlake have been fine.

Even under Potter our defensive numbers were half decent. It's further up the pitch we've invested badly.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

So best of a bad bunch and likely to be another entry in the Chelsea Strikers’ Graveyard?

Best of limited bunch, yes. Likely to be another entry into the graveyard, that I'm not so sure of. Unlike our other striker signing over the years, Osimhen has a far more suitable Premier League profile. That may or may not translate, no player is a given at the end of the day, but he's got every chance of being a good player (fitness permitting). 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ROTG said:

Should Osimhen come to Chelsea it show the man lack of ambition vs a TBSD pension contracts. 

Sign "Brighton" players, complain about signing mid-table players.

Look to sign a higher calibre of player from a good club that comes at a greater financial cost (as expected), complain about a lack of personal ambition of the player and criticise ownership for financing it.

There is literally no pleasing you. 

Then whenever pressed to provide what you actually want, it's radio silence or excuses.