Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, Blue Orca said:

Sterling of 5 years ago would have been a good addition. However, mid PL quality is exactly what Sterling is now. 

I’m not sure Sterling of 5 years ago is any different tbh.   He’s 28, not 33!   And was only 27 when we signed him.  

The issue with Sterling is that everything points towards him being a Tuchel signing and we sacked him after 5 games.  I think TT had a plan for him and I’m sure this would have been outlined to Sterling - so for him to then see the person who outlined that vision gone within a few weeks, must be extremely confusing and demoralising. 

He’s never been elite IMO and I’m not his biggest fan, but I also believe we’ve only seen a glimpse of what he’s capable of.  I’m indifferent as to whether he goes or stays, but if the latter, we need him playing high up the pitch and driving into the box like his assist for Felix on the weekend. 

9 hours ago, Blue Orca said:

However, mid PL quality is exactly what Sterling is now. 

On the bright side its good to see that Sterling is been recruited at the same level as a majority of the £600m signings in the past two windows and not deemed a player to get the club back into the top four.

Its a funny old game

Edited by ROTG

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

I kind of get what you’re saying, but Rodri and Fabinho were both bought 3-5 years ago, and the rate of inflation of transfer fees right now, you could probably add  at least 30% to those easily.  Man United have just spent c.£70m on a 30 year old Casemiro! 

The other thing I’d say is that both of them were signed from abroad which carries a degree of risk (ie Bakayoko).  Rice on the other hand, has 200 appearances in the PL and rightly or wrongly, is English and a “leader” and therefore those characteristics and personality traits will also be driving his price up.  Finally, he is very sought after, which West Ham will know and all of these aspects will play a part in how they value him. 

Personally, if there is a window of opportunity for us to get Rice, I’d spend £100m on him.  He is ideal for us.  

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying and like I say, I'd love him here and in all fairness I've never cared how much a player costs and have never been bought into that argument about players transfer fees. 

All that being said £120m for Declan Rice is absolute bonkers for so many reasons. 

Quality homegrown player, the way he plays has become very niche in the modern game, young but experienced, a leader and probably THE perfect player for our midfield right now, just massively overpriced for what he is. 

Edited by martin1905

9 hours ago, Blue Orca said:

When you say remodel, City fans would say improve.  Sterling of 5 years ago would have been a good addition. However, mid PL quality is exactly what Sterling is now. 

Agreed. 

Sterling just isn't very good and that would have been the case if Tuchel wasn't sacked. Man City had a mini fire sale and we got the worst player as usual. It reminded me of when Monaco sold the good players from their excellent 16/17 team including the likes of Mbappe, Bernado Silva, Fabinho, Lemar and we grabbed the worst one in Bakayoko. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think overspending in the past is a reason to do it again, although I'd argue Fofana will be worth every penny, he's going to be world class.

The type of player Rice is, will never, in my opinion, be the type of player that warrants that sort of price tag. Rodri was a similar age when he went to City and cost £60m odd. Fabinho cost Liverpool £40m. Those sort of players just don't cost that sort of money.

I've said for years how much I rate him although always thought he'd end up as a centre half, he proved me wrong there, and I'd love him here but no getting away from the fact that it's a silly amount of money for a player of his type.

If he is what we need (and I think he is) and that is what he costs, then he is worth the money.

• Agree 1

So many players are massively overpriced that it's becoming almost pointless arguing about the real value of players today. If we want Price then we'll have to accept that we'll have to overpay for him, if not, them look for someone else. Simple as that really!

Being linked to Sane. Hope to Christ this is just paper talk because he's another striker clearly on the downward slope. In decline at Liverpool and belly flopped at Bayern, so don't be surprised if we sign him and pay him £400k a week.

18 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Chelsea in Joao Felix swap deal talks as Atletico eye duo with transfers key to Mauricio Pochettino decision | Evening Standard

Just gossip and rumour, but I would be quite happy with Auba+Cucurella for Felix plus some money as long as the money's right.

Auba wants to return to Barca. Last place he'll end up at (other than Real Madrid) is Atletico Madrid.

2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

True. But what if Barce and RM don't want him?

Barca only sold him because they had to cut the wage bill. He'll be welcomed back if they can find a way to do it within La Liga's financial rules.

Real DON'T want him, and I never said they did.  As a former Barca palyer, Auba is highly unlikely to go to either Madrid clubs

54 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Chelsea in Joao Felix swap deal talks as Atletico eye duo with transfers key to Mauricio Pochettino decision | Evening Standard

Just gossip and rumour, but I would be quite happy with Auba+Cucurella for Felix plus some money as long as the money's right.

Would be a terrible deal, not that it'll happen thankfully. 

Chilwell remains an injury concern so having an established backup is important. Cucurella despite a poor first season is still capable of being that player. Otherwise the alternative is Maatsen, who is completely untried or tested at the top level. Not to dismiss his quality, but it would be a huge risk on our behalf should Chilwell go down for any length of time, and Maatsen struggles himself trying to play one of the most important positions in modern football. 

This deal would also be terrible for our FFP situation.

I don't think it will happen, but I disagree about Maatsen. If Cucurella wanted to go or was part of a deal to bring in someone we need¶, we would need to replace him with a backup. I don't know a fully experienced left-back/wing-back who would want the task of being Chilwell's backup. I would prefer not to use a left-sided centre-back or midfielder for the role either. At 21, Maatsen is not a child any more. He has played in the Championship with 43 appearances with four goals and six assists.  His team, Burnley, got promoted, and he was successful enough in that team to be in the Championship squad of the season.  I am not sure what else he could have done apart from playing in a midtable premier league club (as Chelsea currently is).

(¶not sure Felix is)

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Make of this what you will. Some are suggesting Kane to Chelsea if Poch becomes manager. Think Daniel Levy might have something to say about that, though!

Kane ? Spuds?...Culture?...as in Petri Dish?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Barca only sold him because they had to cut the wage bill. He'll be welcomed back if they can find a way to do it within La Liga's financial rules.

Real DON'T want him, and I never said they did.  As a former Barca palyer, Auba is highly unlikely to go to either Madrid clubs

Who? The former Gooner who went to Chelsea?

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

As a former Barca palyer, Auba is highly unlikely to go to either Madrid clubs

I don't follow Spanish football at all and even I know Barca to Atletico is a well-trodden transfer path, particularly attackers some would say are past it. Perhaps Aubameyang really would have no interest in Atletico and perhaps that would be because of a prior Barca relationship, but I wouldn't laugh the very idea out.

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

Who? The former Gooner who went to Chelsea?

Quite.

Re: Rice ... I think the price West Ham can command means we are not in the running, regardless of the value of that asking price. I really doubt we can put together a £100m+ fee/minimum £200k a week package this summer.

16 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Re: Rice ... I think the price West Ham can command means we are not in the running, regardless of the value of that asking price. I really doubt we can put together a £100m+ fee/minimum £200k a week package this summer.

Listen , it's West Ham and Probably Moyes .

We can possibly  low ball them and throw in some of the dead wood that is surplus to requirements like , er most of them. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't follow Spanish football at all and even I know Barca to Atletico is a well-trodden transfer path, particularly attackers some would say are past it. Perhaps Aubameyang really would have no interest in Atletico and perhaps that would be because of a prior Barca relationship, but I wouldn't laugh the very idea out.

Quite.

I don't think he'll go for anything like that figure with only one year left on his contract.  Pure wishful thinking by Moyes.

More like £70-80m I reckon. 

The only pull we have over L'arse or City right now is the Chelsea thing, the exciting project and Mount.  Hopefully it's enough. 

If he has any imagination at all he'll know that he's possibly the missing link to unlocking the new Chelsea and giving us balance. 

20 minutes ago, Ham said:

I don't think he'll go for anything like that figure with only one year left on his contract.  Pure wishful thinking by Moyes.

The only pull we have over L'arse or City right now is the Chelsea thing, the exciting project and Mount.  Hopefully it's enough. 

If he has any imagination at all he'll know that he's possibly the missing link to unlocking the new Chelsea and giving us balance. 

I thought Rice had two years left (one year being an option for West Ham which they would be foolish not to trigger). 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

The exciting project? Which project would that be? If I’m Rice I’d be very hesitant to let myself be swayed by Boehly and the likes. 

Mount might not even be here when the new season kicks off. 

Rice will go to Man U or Man C. I’d be very surprised to see him leave for Arsenal. 

Kovacic to City or Bayern doing the rounds again. I really hope it's true. I've never been much of an admirer and he's completely fallen off a cliff this year, and one of the more senior players I think it would have been fair to expect more from. At 29, this would be the last opportunity to get much in for him. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Kovacic to City or Bayern doing the rounds again. I really hope it's true. I've never been much of an admirer and he's completely fallen off a cliff this year, and one of the more senior players I think it would have been fair to expect more from. At 29, this would be the last opportunity to get much in for him. 

I think I'm right in saying Gundogan is out of contract in the summer. Can see Kovacic going there to replace him. I think he would do very well for them, his limitations, no goals or assists,  won't matter as they have plenty of goalscorers. He's a very good fit for them whereas we need more, or at least something different,  from our midfield so although I like him I would be happy to see him move on.

He's almost certain to leave, can get half decent money for him and he's not going to extend his contract so definitely the right time to sell.