Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

One other point on Gyokeres I should have added. He is really hard working and he will run channels all game. Championship defenders didn't know what was the best thing to do against him. If they backed off him, he could go past them with pace and power , if they got tight, he would roll them with pace and power.

Whilst the Portuguese league is weaker than PL. I would think the slower pace and more tactical nature of Portugal would probably suit him less than the speed and turnovers of the PL. I think the big question is do higher quality PL defenders just deal with him easier than Championship defenders could.

I would still prefer Toney personally. Though I think there is a price cap I would not go beyond for Toney, which is probably about the £60m area. I think he will probably end up at Arsenal, as he could be the difference maker in taking them to a title, which makes paying £60-£70m easier to justify.

• Like 3

Anyone thinking that we have problems that can be solved in the transfer market are missing the point, especially during the January window.  our problems are much more deep rooted.

Rather we have problems and the Symptoms can be seen in the transfer market.  No one over 21 will join us.  Everyone over 23 wants to quit.
I'm just hoping nothing happens in january and the owners start to seriously consider what it takes to run a football club.

17 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I thought I recognised the name. This is the kid that was making a name for himself with Coventry last season. I think he would be a great buy.

This honestly sounds like Jackson mk2. to me. Class at a certain level - at the top level out of his depth.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

This honestly sounds like Jackson mk2. to me. Class at a certain level - at the top level out of his depth.

But , he has got the attributes that it appears we are looking at and furthermore that Jackson and now seemingly Broja haven't , namely the ability to hold the ball up and use his strength against defenders . 

I've seen him play and thought he was pretty good , everything where we find ourselves at the moment is a punt .

1 minute ago, Dwmh said:

Anyone thinking that we have problems that can be solved in the transfer market are missing the point, especially during the January window.  our problems are much more deep rooted.

Rather we have problems and the Symptoms can be seen in the transfer market.  No one over 21 will join us.  Everyone over 23 wants to quit.
I'm just hoping nothing happens in january and the owners start to seriously consider what it takes to run a football club.

If the bolded continues, then yes we do have major deep rooted problems. I just can't see the owners being this naïve to keep going down that same road with transfers. If you have a manager telling you he needs more experience and proven players, and you then go and deliver him teens and early 20's in January. Well, I would be astonished for that to happen for 3 straight windows.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've seen him play and thought he was pretty good , everything where we find ourselves at the moment is a punt .

It's really not. You have one option who won the Serie A scoring 30+ goals last season and just got voted African player of the year, one who is "proven Premier league" and then this guy who has some attributes we like.

11 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It's really not. You have one option who won the Serie A scoring 30+ goals last season and just got voted African player of the year, one who is "proven Premier league" and then this guy who has some attributes we like.

I would actually use the word impossible , to describe any club getting Osimhen in January.

Then if any club wants to go there in the summer. They need to be prepared for months of complex negotiations and be prepared to get completley stung financially on what that deal will cost.

Just now, Thiago97 said:

I would actually use the word impossible , to describe any club getting Osimhen in January.

Then if any club wants to go there in the summer. They need to be prepared for months of complex negotiations and be prepared to get completley stung financially on what that deal will cost.

We said the same about Enzo. The point is - let's not pretend these guys are in the same ballpark.

And frankly if we're not going to get a clear upgrade, why don't we just play Nkunku up top and wait until summer?

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

We said the same about Enzo. The point is - let's not pretend these guys are in the same ballpark.

And frankly if we're not going to get a clear upgrade, why don't we just play Nkunku up top and wait until summer?

We were not dealing with De Laurantis and Napoli. I'm not talking about this is relation to Gyokeres.

I am talking specifically that Osimhen cannot happen in January imo. Can we even afford him anyway with FFP ? How many clubs and seasons were they looking at Koulibaly ? It took him about 4 years and 8 windows to leave Napoli, eventually getting to the point where his contract was down at 12 months I think.

De Laurentis will rinse that deal dry. It will end of the month or end of a drawn out summer for whoever is in that bidding war. Simply no value to Napoli selling him in January (also African Nations Cup I think in 2024)

22 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It really is. 

Osimhen may turn out crap and Toney might be awful at Chelsea, there's a degree of gambling in every transfer. 

Out of the two one could argue that Toney is the better fit as he has EPL experience but in my opinion he's a bit of a bellend. 

I'm not advocating we don't sign these two and get Gyokes merely pointing out that I football nothing is a certainty 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

wait until Summer and play Nkunku up top then?

fixed

• Haha 1

The key thing for us here is that these changes won't be back dated and so no issues with everyone we've bought already. Phew!

Funny how quickly rules/laws are changed when it involves Chelsea. This follows on from the blocks on multi club ownership just as we got involved.

11 hours ago, SideshowLuiz said:

Find it hard to believe Disasi and Gusto are on the chopping block - they were signed less than half a year ago and have been (relatively) decent. 

I quite like what I have seen of Gusto, but I suppose there could be a logic if a) the club have decided James is done and an immediate first choice is needed and/or b) Gusto is also completely broken. 

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

The key thing for us here is that these changes won't be back dated and so no issues with everyone we've bought already. Phew!

Funny how quickly rules/laws are changed when it involves Chelsea. This follows on from the blocks on multi club ownership just as we got involved.

I am a little surprised the other clubs intervened, because our long contract policy is closer to an act of self-mutilation than it is cheating. We have gained absolutely no football advantage from it and the financial benefits are dubious to say the least. I suppose, though, that is largely about execution. 

Maybe we're being saved from ourselves by clubs who are very happy for us to be shit but would be most inconvenienced by using ceasing to exist?

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I am a little surprised the other clubs intervened, because our long contract policy is closer to an act of self-mutilation than it is cheating. We have gained absolutely no football advantage from it and the financial benefits are dubious to say the least. I suppose, though, that is largely about execution. 

Maybe we're being saved from ourselves by clubs who are very happy for us to be shit but would be most inconvenienced by using ceasing to exist?

Quite.  The destruction of a CL 2021 winning English team makes life a lot harder when big English teams negotiate the next round of Superleague concepts.

Self-mutilation is a good description.  

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It really is. 

Osimhen may turn out crap and Toney might be awful at Chelsea, there's a degree of gambling in every transfer. 

Out of the two one could argue that Toney is the better fit as he has EPL experience but in my opinion he's a bit of a bellend. 

I'm not advocating we don't sign these two and get Gyokes merely pointing out that I football nothing is a certainty 

My grandma also might play for Chelsea at 97.

There's levels Mark - you're just saying you like him because you've seen him.

Why don't we just sign a Conference North striker then, if everything's now just one big punt?

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

We were not dealing with De Laurantis and Napoli. I'm not talking about this is relation to Gyokeres.

I am talking specifically that Osimhen cannot happen in January imo. Can we even afford him anyway with FFP ? How many clubs and seasons were they looking at Koulibaly ? It took him about 4 years and 8 windows to leave Napoli, eventually getting to the point where his contract was down at 12 months I think.

De Laurentis will rinse that deal dry. It will end of the month or end of a drawn out summer for whoever is in that bidding war. Simply no value to Napoli selling him in January (also African Nations Cup I think in 2024)

Will be really telling if we can even tempt Osimhen over at this point. I suspect we can afford him if we sell at least a couple, but how much longer can we attract top players to a ship that's sinking fast? The owner may be nigh on impossible to deal with but our owners have history of paying silly money so nothing can be ruled out.

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

My grandma also might play for Chelsea at 97.

There's levels Mark - you're just saying you like him because you've seen him.

Why don't we just sign a Conference North striker then, if everything's now just one big punt?

I'm really not saying I like him because I've seen him.

Read what I said 

I said I'm not advocating signing him .

I also said everything at this point is a punt 

There are degrees of puntiness but nobody is a certainty to succeed .

I'm really not saying I like him because I've seen him.

Read what I said 

I said I'm not advocating signing him .

I also said everything at this point is a punt 

There are degrees of puntiness but nobody is a certainty to succeed .

And again - if you can't admit there is night and day between punting on a Championship striker and a Champions League striker, we'll have to let this one go.

27 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

And again - if you can't admit there is night and day between punting on a Championship striker and a Champions League striker, we'll have to let this one go.

Again , I didn't actually say that at all

We will indeed have to let it go as you're misrepresenting everything I'm saying to suit your own hysterical reaction to the upcoming transfer window . 

Again , I didn't actually say that at all

We will indeed have to let it go as you're misrepresenting everything I'm saying to suit your own hysterical reaction to the upcoming transfer window . 

"I've seen him play and thought he was pretty good , everything where we find ourselves at the moment is a punt". - Mark Kelly

21 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"I've seen him play and thought he was pretty good , everything where we find ourselves at the moment is a punt". - Mark Kelly

Where does that say we should buy him exactly?

This is what I wrote for the hard of thinking:

"But , he has got the attributes that it appears we are looking at and furthermore that Jackson and now seemingly Broja haven't , namely the ability to hold the ball up and use his strength against defenders . I've seen him play and thought he was pretty good , everything where we find ourselves at the moment is a punt ."

Nothing there whatsoever about we should stop looking at Osimhen and Toney and turn our attention to Gyorkes .

I think what you need is a blog instead of a forum. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Where does that say we should buy him exactly?

This is what I wrote for the hard of thinking:

"But , he has got the attributes that it appears we are looking at and furthermore that Jackson and now seemingly Broja haven't , namely the ability to hold the ball up and use his strength against defenders . I've seen him play and thought he was pretty good , everything where we find ourselves at the moment is a punt ."

Nothing there whatsoever about we should stop looking at Osimhen and Toney and turn our attention to Gyorkes .

I think what you need is a blog instead of a forum. 

Maybe we can deescalate 🙂 I just think you were underplaying the difference between "punting" on an Osihmen and a Gyorkes. I wouldn't even call Osihmen or Toney a punt tbh - that's all.