Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Maybe we can deescalate 🙂 I just think you were underplaying the difference between "punting" on an Osihmen and a Gyorkes. I wouldn't even call Osihmen or Toney a punt tbh - that's all.

Every transfer is a punt, not least of which because you can spend £180m on three players who all get injured in pre-season and in the middle of December, you have still seen none of them, or know when any of them will be back.

Toney could be an expensive disaster for us. When did he ever play against a well organised low block? He might be great, he might not. It's a punt.

Osimhen is coming from Serie A, where he has a goalscoring record very similar to Lukaku. I think he's a good striker, but the facts are he is not guaranteed to be any more of a success here than Fatboy. It's a punt.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Great

Think about this for a second and it makes complete sense. We have no more wiggle room to really use amortisation to make immediate, meaningful improvements to the squad anyway. I hope to God, also, that some at the club have realised many of these players are not going to amount to much and we're saddled with them for 7-8 years. The absolute last thing we need is other competently run clubs making actually good signings they couldn't otherwise afford that pull them further away from us.

Makes sense to be part of the drawbridge being pulled up.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Think about this for a second and it makes complete sense. We have no more wiggle room to really use amortisation to make immediate, meaningful improvements to the squad anyway. I hope to God, also, that some at the club have realised many of these players are not going to amount to much and we're saddled with them for 7-8 years. The absolute last thing we need is other competently run clubs making actually good signings they couldn't otherwise afford that pull them further away from us.

Makes sense to be part of the drawbridge being pulled up.

My "great" response was to the fact that we are still targeting youngsters.

20 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Every transfer is a punt, not least of which because you can spend £180m on three players who all get injured in pre-season and in the middle of December, you have still seen none of them, or know when any of them will be back.

Toney could be an expensive disaster for us. When did he ever play against a well organised low block? He might be great, he might not. It's a punt.

Osimhen is coming from Serie A, where he has a goalscoring record very similar to Lukaku. I think he's a good striker, but the facts are he is not guaranteed to be any more of a success here than Fatboy. It's a punt.

I think we are just arguing over language. If "punt" is used to describe a player who has scored most of his goals in the Championship and a Toney / Osimhen, then it loses all meaning. Every transfer has risks - we know that, but the risks are nowhere near the same for each player.

Edited by Max Fowler

On 11/12/2023 at 10:39, Thiago97 said:

Yep. He was signed to be an experienced and calm presence, at a low transfer cost, and to help get them over the line in the league. It failed.

That is not on Jorginho. However, that was the whole point of his signing. The new season comes along and he ends up becoming ever more a bit part player, than he was in his 5 months there from the previous season.

I thought he might debunk my longstanding theory that you cannot win the PL with Jorginho in your team. In turns out, you cannot win the PL with a lead,  and with 5 months to play and Jorginho involved. Maybe he will debunk my theory this season.

He will not debunk that theory. I can 100% guarantee you that. 

There are three truths in this life - death, taxes and that you don't win the PL with Jorginho. 

On 11/12/2023 at 17:27, thevelourfog said:

39 points from the last 39 league games. We are, without reasonable dispute, in a relegation fight. The long-term pattern is completely clear, this is not about short-term reactions. 

The bright side is there a lot of teams who are in a relegation fight. 

Meh... That's irrelevant - to compare last season with this season is meaningless. 

19 points from 16 games gives us a pro-rata of 45 points. That will keep us up, just. 

But we have also been somewhat unfortunate, both with injuries and ouitcome of games. I think we will end up somewhere around 50 points which will see us ending up somewhere around 10-14th. I think that is a fairly fair reflection of where we are as a club. 

A sobering thought for many on here no doubt.

Maybe we do not need a top top striker which will blow our budget out of water and be a big risk. What we need is someone to put away the chances that Jackson conspires to miss on a regular basis. I see other strikers from so called weaker teams who manage to shoot on target, head the ball towards to goal and be in the right place at the right time. I see none of that from Jackson on a consistent basis.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Meh... That's irrelevant - to compare last season with this season is meaningless. 

19 points from 16 games gives us a pro-rata of 45 points. That will keep us up, just

But we have also been somewhat unfortunate, both with injuries and ouitcome of games. I think we will end up somewhere around 50 points which will see us ending up somewhere around 10-14th. I think that is a fairly fair reflection of where we are as a club. 

A sobering thought for many on here no doubt.

So ... in a relegation fight, then. That's generally what teams who "just" stay up would say they've been in.

Last season's form really clearly isn’t "meaningless". It has directly continued. Sure, we aren't going to be relegated on our 2023 stats, but that doesn't stop them saying something very clear about where we are and what we can realistically expect from the rest of this season.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I think we are just arguing over language. If "punt" is used to describe a player who has scored most of his goals in the Championship and a Toney / Osimhen, then it loses all meaning. Every transfer has risks - we know that, but the risks are nowhere near the same for each player.

There's no doubt that Toney and Osimhen are better than what we currently have. Problem is, neither are of the high level technical ability of the kind of elite strikers who'll help us get back to to being a top side again. They'd probably do ok but ok isn't good enough and we'd soon end up admitting we need better again.

If sign we sign either one that would be the fourth £100 million + player we've bought who have not been of the level we need to significantly improve positions to that level we need. We are just plain bad when it comes to huge money signings and have been for a long time now. With the new players it's the likes of Palmer, Badiashile and Chuck who look like they might have what it takes and we bought the three of them for just over £100 million.

9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

There's no doubt that Toney and Osimhen are better than what we currently have. Problem is, neither are of the high level technical ability of the kind of elite strikers who'll help us get back to to being a top side again. They'd probably do ok but ok isn't good enough and we'd soon end up admitting we need better again.

If sign we sign either one that would be the fourth £100 million + player we've bought who have not been of the level we need to significantly improve positions to that level we need. We are just plain bad when it comes to huge money signings and have been for a long time now. With the new players it's the likes of Palmer, Badiashile and Chuck who look like they might have what it takes and we bought the three of them for just over £100 million.

Our only remaining hope of saving record breaking sums of money on a striker is Nkunku gelling everything together.

We looked super fluid in pre-season with him against PL opposition.

I'm an eternal optimistic I admit but hopefully this comes off and Jackson/Broja benefit from his return. 

9 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Not heard of Nusa, but the other 4 would all be solid buys.

Nusa is real young (18), we've been tracking him for a while though. Not sure why he's on this "striker shortlist" considering he's more of a wide player than someone that would lead the line up top. His production thus far is also very limited. 

Kinda surprised to not see Santiago Gimenez mentioned, he's probably the only other one that has caught my eye recently. Reminds me a little of Suarez during his peak with the way he plays.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Our only remaining hope of saving record breaking sums of money on a striker is Nkunku gelling everything together.

We looked super fluid in pre-season with him against PL opposition.

I'm an eternal optimistic I admit but hopefully this comes off and Jackson/Broja benefit from his return. 

Jackson is good in friendlies - simply not up to the Premier League level. Broja didn't even do anything special for Southampton so don't know why we would assume he is good enough for us.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Again - I don't see how Osimhen isn't a significant improvement on what we already have. I would even say the same for Toney and I don't even fancy him much. My only concern is that the owners think this is one of the last missing pieces of the jigsaw and that a top striker like them will solve everything. I don't think it will. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Yes. We barely pay big wages for anyone any more - look at all the new guys and the guys we sold. That's one of the reasons we're doing so badly. Won't pay top wages for experienced players.

You think we bought Fernandez, a WC winner, and didn't pay him top wages?

Do you think Caicedo came here for less than 250k a month?

I've got a bridge for you - several.
I guess it must be a real pleasure to read Twitter without ever having to wonder if it is true.