Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Just now, blueboy1905 said:

I think Sterling, James and Chilwell are the big earners.  The board will be itching to get rid of them all especially with two of the three practically unplayable.

I must add that the wages of the new signings are very much performance related so Enzo and Caicedo maybe on the lower end.

4 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

You think we bought Fernandez, a WC winner, and didn't pay him top wages?

Do you think Caicedo came here for less than 250k a month?

I've got a bridge for you - several.
I guess it must be a real pleasure to read Twitter without ever having to wonder if it is true.

Caicedo is on 150k. Enzo is on 180k. That's a bit more than Danny Drinkwater.

Don't get me wrong - I am glad we have got our bloated wage bill down and got some deadwood off it, but until we start paying top wages for some players we are never going to compete for titles again.

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Caicedo is on 150k. Enzo is on 180k. That's a bit more than Danny Drinkwater.

Don't get me wrong - I am glad we have got our bloated wage bill down and got some deadwood off it, but until we start paying top wages for some players we are never going to compete for titles again.

Because Spotrac.
Don't be silly - what information do they have about Caicedo's salary that you and I don't have?

They can't even get the transfer fees right.

28 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Because Spotrac.
Don't be silly - what information do they have about Caicedo's salary that you and I don't have?

They can't even get the transfer fees right.

Fabrizio Romano mate:

‘Chelsea did an excellent investment by signing Moises. The player will receive £150k per week, he was on £60k per week at Brighton,’ 

28 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Fabrizio Romano mate:

‘Chelsea did an excellent investment by signing Moises. The player will receive £150k per week, he was on £60k per week at Brighton,’ 

Sure.  Boy you'd be lost if you ever find yourself in real life.  

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

until we start paying top wages for some players we are never going to compete for titles again.

We paid mega wages to Lukaku and look how that turned out. We are currently paying Sterling about the same as Salah is getting, and though Sterling is one of our better players this season he's not worth half of what Salah is being paid. We are grossly overpaying for too many players and paying sone of them way too much as well.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

We paid mega wages to Lukaku and look how that turned out. We are currently paying Sterling about the same as Salah is getting, and though Sterling is one of our better players this season he's not worth half of what Salah is being paid. We are grossly overpaying for too many players and paying sone of them way too much as well.

Well our wage bill is nearly as close to Forest in 11th position to Man City in 2nd (ours being 5th) now. I don't know how you have ambitions of being a 100 point team if you don't pay the top wages.

But yes - wages are a seperate problem from the fees. Where we are grossly overpaying. So we are left with paying vast amounts of money in transfer fees for average players -  hence our league position.

21 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Well our wage bill is nearly as close to Forest in 11th position to Man City in 2nd (ours being 5th) now. I don't know how you have ambitions of being a 100 point team if you don't pay the top wages.

But yes - wages are a seperate problem from the fees. Where we are grossly overpaying. So we are left with paying vast amounts of money in transfer fees for average players -  hence our league position.

Spotrac or Fabreezio?  none of them know more than you or me - they just sound more convincing.

11 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This. 

It won't happen of course, but people should really stop believing what they read in the papers!

Most people who follow football and Chelsea see it's common knowledge that the new owners have wanted to pay less in wages and that's part of the attraction of younger players.

I can't guarantee every story shared but it makes absolute sense that we would be 5th in terms of wage bill.

Would much rather discuss here the ramifications of that than the constant - "this is shared in the media - its obviously false". I don't think every story is absolutely 100% accurate I am just sharing to get a conversation going.

Personally I think its an interesting conversation the pros vs cons of being a higher vs lower wage club.

• Like 1

Most people who follow football and Chelsea see it's common knowledge that the new owners have wanted to pay less in wages and that's part of the attraction of younger players.

Only if you believe hat you read in the newspapers. 

I can't guarantee every story shared but it makes absolute sense that we would be 5th in terms of wage bill.

Based on what exactly Max? Oh that's right - stories in the media!

I give up - believe what you want (you will anyway)

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2023 at 20:44, thevelourfog said:

So ... in a relegation fight, then. That's generally what teams who "just" stay up would say they've been in.

Last season's form really clearly isn’t "meaningless". It has directly continued. Sure, we aren't going to be relegated on our 2023 stats, but that doesn't stop them saying something very clear about where we are and what we can realistically expect from the rest of this season.

I didn't question whether we'd struggle, I've been saying that all season. I question using points from last season, the team is largely different as well as the manager. 

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Only if you believe hat you read in the newspapers. 

Based on what exactly Max? Oh that's right - stories in the media!

I give up - believe what you want (you will anyway)

If it was story about dressing room unrest I could understand your point. I just don't see the motive of mis- or underreporting our wages. In fact it's an interesting debate whether it's a good or bad thing. Again, many on here including @xceleryx celebrate our new wage structure. But you don't call him out because he doesn't heaven forbid, directly report what journalists are reporting.

On the rumoured amount of money he is said to be seeking, I'd be open to a transfer to the dark side of the moon. However, as usual, the papers blather on about this, but there is no solid proof.  I'll believe it when I see his boots on the pitch at the Bridge - frankly, I think there is more chance of Paul McCallum joining ...

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Could it be something to do with the latest member of TBSD coming from the championship?

Just putting it out there 

That player has Brighton on his CV so it's seems the transfer strategy is still in place.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Our wages are rumoured to be very incentive based, so hard to tell if we are paying over the odds or below par. At least if we miss CL money it's offset with not paying so much in wages

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Our wages are rumoured to be very incentive based, so hard to tell if we are paying over the odds or below par. At least if we miss CL money it's offset with not paying so much in wages

Or if we miss CL money we will have a really hard time keeping the successful purchases or attracting new ones.

29 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I find this rumour really difficult to put much stock in. No one signs for 7 years without being really confident they are earning as much as they would over that period elsewhere. We might be "underpaying" for now, but the risk of that is we end up overpaying over the long term, and worse than that overpaying only for the players who don't come good as everyone else will be off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I find this rumour really difficult to put much stock in. No one signs for 7 years without being really confident they are earning as much as they would over that period elsewhere. We might be "underpaying" for now, but the risk of that is we end up overpaying over the long term, and worse than that overpaying only for the players who don't come good as everyone else will be off.

I suspect youngsters do. But I agree the risks of having players stuck here on long-term contracts exists too. Especially if there is no pressure to perform as the contracts are so long.

The point is - we're going to need to sign some players on more expensive contracts if we ever want to make the step up. I suspect they regret paying 325k a week for Sterling but that's exactly the kind of deal we need to be making.

Paying a proper wage for an experienced player that delivers. Tuchel pushed for that one I bet and they are thinking - "we could have got three more Mudryks for that wage! Last time we listen to one of those rude German coaches!"

12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I can certainly see the attraction of setting up the rumour.
I suspect there is no kind of organisation more attuned to hyperbole than an investment management company that reckons it can keep its 30% pa return going forever.