Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

45 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I find this rumour really difficult to put much stock in. No one signs for 7 years without being really confident they are earning as much as they would over that period elsewhere. We might be "underpaying" for now, but the risk of that is we end up overpaying over the long term, and worse than that overpaying only for the players who don't come good as everyone else will be off.

According to Shaktar when signing Mudryk (terrible/great example) the sales pitch from the owners of our project made it sound like the success based bonuses were much more likely to be achieved than arsenal's bid

19 hours ago, Dwmh said:

You think we bought Fernandez, a WC winner, and didn't pay him top wages?

Jack Charlton and Nobby Stiles were World Cup winners but neither of them were close to being world class players who deserved top wages. That is the danger of signing players just from seeing them have a decent tournament in type of football which is played very differently from the premier League and over the course of just one month. A type of football where an old,  well past his best Messi can be good enough to win player of that tournament.

Edited by boratsbrother

52 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Jack Charlton and Nobby Stiles were World Cup winners but neither of them were close to being world class players who deserved top wages. That is the danger of signing players just from seeing them have a decent tournament in type of football which is played very differently from the premier League and over the course of just one month. A type of football where an old,  well past his best Messi can be good enough to win player of that tournament.

Take your point but both players were integral. important players for their day job clubs well worth any large pay packet...

The game is/was littered with players of extreme importance to their clubs if not WC stars or even NT stars.

In some cases the reverse is true as well!

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

This is what many of us suspected. WAKE UP!

We are being turned into a feeder club! A higher level Brighton.

Aren't they saying that just as RB Leipzig is being fed by Salzburg, we will be fed by Strasbourg?

40 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Aren't they saying that just as RB Leipzig is being fed by Salzburg, we will be fed by Strasbourg?

IMG_3178.thumb.jpeg.d8787086b24f166e8cba70106a11634e.jpeg

The Strasbourg fans, relishing this current relationship. Apparently ‘Blue Co' aren’t even welcome in the stadium. 

Edited by Floyd25

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"The Club (CHELSEA) will scout players, develop them over a 3 year period before selling them on for a high price"

I think it is a report by l'equipe about Strasbourg. I read it as the Club (Strasbourg), will scout players and then sell them off to Chelsea in the same way that Salzburg develop players and sell them off to Leipzig. This is why they say BlueCo is inspired by Red Bull, who own both Leipzig and Salzburg. I am happy to be wrong,

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I think it is a report by l'equipe about Strasbourg. I read it as the Club (Strasbourg), will scout players and then sell them off to Chelsea in the same way that Salzburg develop players and sell them off to Leipzig. This is why they say BlueCo is inspired by Red Bull, who own both Leipzig and Salzburg. I am happy to be wrong,

You're wrong 🙂  (partially)

It is referring to Strasbourg developing players that we have bought and scouted, but the "selling on for a higher fee" is what Chelsea plan to do to make profits - just like Leipzig who have made a lot of money from transfers in recent years.

Hence why we are spending all our money on 16 year olds instead of 28 year olds who can win us titles.

"BlueCo’s strategy for Strasbourg 

The report detailed that BlueCo were directly inspired by the multi-club model implemented by Red Bull. Wherein the club scouts young players with high potential, develops their skills over a three-year period, and then sells them at a high price before repeating the process. 

Part of that model relies on the role of Red Bull Salzburg who operate as a feeder club for RasenBallsport Leipzig. Talent is developed at Salzburg before it is then moved onto Leipzig where it can be better showcased in the Bundesliga and sold for a higher fee. 

In this system, Strasbourg would become to Chelsea what Salzburg are to Leipzig."

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2023/red-bull-model-as-inspiration-exclusive-youth-focus-how-chelsea-and-blueco-have-influenced-the-direction-of-strasbourg/

And its suuuper Leipzig! suuper Leipzig FC!
We're by far the greatest teens
Todd Boehly's profit dreams
And its suuuper Leipzig

48 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"The Club (CHELSEA) will scout players, develop them over a 3 year period before selling them on for a high price"

Edited by Max Fowler

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

So more or less what we've been doing for years upon years, but instead of having a defined plan to reportedly develop and sell within a three year window, we would constantly loan these players out relying on their loan fees to cover costs and generate income before eventually selling for a final fee - often nominal, after holding onto them for too long in most cases. 

Hard to imagine but sustainability and success can coexist. The kicker in all this however is that it doesn't just all magically come to fruition in 18 months.

6 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Hard to imagine but sustainability and success can coexist. 

I don't believe a player development and success can coexist.
Otherwise why would anyone buy a Strasbourg or a Salzburg.  Or shadow buy Vitesse? They clash if tried out in the same place.

And it is one thing to say you plant your seeds and wait for success in player development.
Quite another that you can best way to the top is to travel downwards.

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Forgive me but does anyone else think we have enough to do to improve rather than buy yet more players? 

We're always going to continue buying players, particularly young ones that are identified. Sure, they may not be senior first team players but it's also part of keeping a conveyer belt of assets on hand. If we hit on a couple for the first team, excellent. If not then as long as the buy in price is relatively cheap, and the wages controlled, which for many in this realm are, then we'll be able to sell towards a wider market and navigate FFP.

There's risk of course, and it's obviously important for it not to come at the detriment, or abandonment, of the investing in the senior side at the same time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I don't believe a player development and success can coexist.
Otherwise why would anyone buy a Strasbourg or a Salzburg.  Or shadow buy Vitesse? They clash if tried out in the same place.

And it is one thing to say you plant your seeds and wait for success in player development.
Quite another that you can best way to the top is to travel downwards.

"Success" can came on many different levels. 

I wasn't really talking about multi-club ownership though, I was more speaking about Chelsea and the switching from utilising the loan market to generate additional profits like we used to do under Roman for years and before the recent loan rule chances. We've now opted to buy players outright with a clearer plan (by the looks) to develop, which can either be done I suppose through an affiliate club or just through the usual loan/club trained channels, before moving them on. 

21 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

So more or less what we've been doing for years upon years, but instead of having a defined plan to reportedly develop and sell within a three year window, we would constantly loan these players out relying on their loan fees to cover costs and generate income before eventually selling for a final fee - often nominal, after holding onto them for too long in most cases. 

Hard to imagine but sustainability and success can coexist. The kicker in all this however is that it doesn't just all magically come to fruition in 18 months.

Genuine question. Long-term - what is success for you? Winning Premier League after Premier League? Champions Leagues. What we experienced under RA or more? Or are you happy with less than that...