Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

33 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I've always been a fan.  But he seems a lot cuter now, more imaginative.  And while he may not have the greatest control over his passing, I'm hugely impressed with his awareness of where his colleagues are.  He keeps putting his foot in and the ball flicks off towards a blue shirt.

I’ll duck for cover after this one, but the way he covers ground at such pace and relentlessly keeps winning second balls is almost Kante-esque 🫣

On 15/12/2023 at 16:53, Max Fowler said:

This is what many of us suspected. WAKE UP!

We are being turned into a feeder club! A higher level Brighton.

No. We are being fed

On 15/12/2023 at 18:52, Max Fowler said:

"The Club (CHELSEA) will scout players, develop them over a 3 year period before selling them on for a high price"

Develop the players at Strasbourg.

Like with Angelo now. 

On 18/12/2023 at 13:28, Max Fowler said:

Supposedly it’s because Gallagher doesn’t want to sign an 8 year deal either…

You really don't understand football economics, do you.

There is no need to offer a HG player a contract like we have seen of 6-8 years that was given to the purchased players. That was done to spread the cost of the transfer fees. 

either way, with Gallagher, he is approaching the new contract or sell stage in January. Unless you think letting him for nothing is a better strategy than selling him 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

There is no need to offer a HG player a contract like we have seen of 6-8 years that was given to the purchased players. That was done to spread the cost of the transfer fees. 

That will explain the rumours that contract length was a major strain in the Mount talks. And the actual deals Chalobah and Broja have been offered and signed.

The club really evidently are not limiting long contracts to incoming signings. Think the argument should be it's them who "really don't understand football economics".

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

That will explain the rumours that contract length was a major strain in the Mount talks. And the actual deals Chalobah and Broja have been offered and signed.

The club really evidently are not limiting long contracts to incoming signings. Think the argument should be it's them who "really don't understand football economics".

Which HG players have signed 8 year deals? None. It has no merit. 

Edit - chalobah signed his contract extension in the autumn of 2021 when RA was our owner.

Edited by paulw66

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

either way, with Gallagher, he is approaching the new contract or sell stage in January. Unless you think letting him for nothing is a better strategy than selling him 

Not sure 8 year contracts was all about avoiding Amortisation.

On the Amortisation side, instead of averaging over say 5 years the fees get averaged over 7 or 8.  But in turn that means we are still paying off the fee (in the P&L) in 2030.  That makes life much harder come 2028 if we want to buy new players then.
But FFP averages P&L over 3 years, and there are also rules to permit high years (after averaging) to be offset by low years.  So the gain is pretty small.

The real "advantage of 7 year contracts is that you can keep superstars on a £60k a week contract for the better part of their footballing careers.
At least that is the theory.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

So yes it is about wages not fees.

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Arguably it is the new kids arriving that "really don't understand football economics".
And the ones refusing to sign that do.

So the question is Does a team on 7 year contracts give you a slave force or a Riot?
I'm guessing that Mount did the decent thing and decided that a long term contract would never give him another opportunity to get a further big rise in his pay levels.  So rather than sign and make trouble, he quit to take both a shorter contract and better terms.

I'm guessing that quite a few of our new players have just dumbly jumped at a big wage rise and not thought it through.

And I'm guessing that more than one or two of their agents are already thinking that the last 4 years of the contracts are just options for them, not the club.
I reckon the club is going to get severely burnt with the 7 year contracts - both the ones it has to fulfill, and the ones the players refuse to fulfill.

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Edit - chalobah signed his contract extension in the autumn of 2021 when RA was our owner.

They are signing 6 year deals when alread a year or two older than the ones we buy.
Chalobah signed a 4 1/2 deal in Nov 2021 and extended it in Nov 2022 out to 2028.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

First, you're wrong on Chalobah. Extension in November 2022 taking him to 2028. And Broja signed a 6 year deal around the same time.

Odd you ask which home grown players signed 8 year deals when you'd said 6-8 years in the post I replied to. Disagreeing for the sake of it.

Again, it is really evident the owners are not reserving long contracts to incoming signings. That they gave Sanchez a long contract after the UEFA amortisation rules changed shows it's about much more than that. 

27 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

First, you're wrong on Chalobah. Extension in November 2022 taking him to 2028. And Broja signed a 6 year deal around the same time.

Odd you ask which home grown players signed 8 year deals when you'd said 6-8 years in the post I replied to. Disagreeing for the sake of it.

Again, it is really evident the owners are not reserving long contracts to incoming signings. That they gave Sanchez a long contract after the UEFA amortisation rules changed shows it's about much more than that. 

The initial post I responded to was referencing Gallagher not signing an 8 year deal. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Depends on how much it’s going to cost to replace him?

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

You are right but also wrong 

example 1st team player is on  100k 8 years = 41m, therefore surly the needs to offer 200k to a 1st team player being offered a 4 year contract for overall parity?

57 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's quite odd that pre Clearlake, 5 year contracts were fairly normal and nobody batted an eyelid. Now all of a sudden, a few 22 year olds have signed 6 year deals, and it is viewed as some sort of football ownership suicide 

Well I certainly batted several eyelids when we gave CHO a 5 year deal at 18 on reportedly a lot of money.
I note that Nottingham Forest have given him a 3 year deal as a 22 yo.
RLC similar.

The implication in all this is that Clearlake are able to do 3 things at once :

1. Identify genuine talent, not just have the bad buys self select  by agreeing long contracts
  2. Sign them for low wages on long contracts (as opposed to claim to have reduced wages in public)
  3. Will be able to keep the good ones on low wages (so they won't go on strike or just get pissed off with the club)

I don't think 1 & 2 can both be done together.
And I don't think 3 can be done at all  

No one else has tried it....    not even Brighton.

On 08/12/2023 at 09:24, Morgs said:

. It is like worrying about having to take a commercial flight through a region of stormy weather and hoping that a change of airline might improve things.  Sacking Poch will not suddenly give the squad that which they do not (and will never collectively) possess.  

I'm not a fan of Pochettino. At all. Think he got very lucky with his timing at Tottenham and ultimately failed miserably. 

That being said this is the best analogy I have heard regarding our current situation, absolutely spot on.

Mudryk is a great example. Bought for this fantasy scenario where he can get on the shoulder of the last man, roast his man for pace, effortlessly glide into space and either knock in a perfect cross or cut in and volley it top bins.  What space is he going to get to run into in the Prem? How can he glide past the last man if they are doubling up on him and monstering him physically? And then - as we saw with the United game - if somehow he does create something, he is too young and lacks the mentality to just slot it. Feet move faster than the brain. Years and years away from being at a decent Prem level. 

I am in  a tiny minority, of maybe one, but I really like him and think he will prove a lot of people wrong. 

Madueke - I said he was a Championship level player and I stand by that. Not his fault, he's still a kid and has room to develop, just not at Chelsea. Why on earth are we giving him a seven year contract on way above Championship level wages? 

He is without doubt the worst signing in the history of this club, and that says a lot. Absolutely shocking player who would look bang average in the championship.  He has very little ability and zero footballing brain, he's constant cutting inside into the most crowded part of the pitch is absurd.

Jackson - The experiment hasn't worked.  Like Mudryk, he is another one who was brought in on mega money far, far too early and thrown in at a level he simply cannot compete at. He is years away from being a Prem striker. Cannot do the simple things right, movement is miles off, doesn't know how to shape his body to receive a pass, has no first touch, has no mentality, for such a big bloke is astonishingly poor, physically.  Get him out on a loan to a league where he will have the time and space to learn. That isnt going to happen at Chelsea. 

Still like Jackson personally,  I like his work rate, his attitude, his physicality and he doesn't let anyone bully him. He has very obvious flaws, especially his head down and running into trouble, his finishing and his decision making but he is still very raw. He's only started 29 league games in his life and has 19 goals and 6 assists.

He will make a very capable back up if and when we ever buy a proper striker.

His problem is he should never have been our one and only striker signing in the summer and that's really not his fault.

• Like 1