Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

13 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Well I certainly batted several eyelids when we gave CHO a 5 year deal at 18 on reportedly a lot of money.
I note that Nottingham Forest have given him a 3 year deal as a 22 yo.
RLC similar.

I wasn't talking specifically about Chelsea or individual players, and or, the views of people on the forum.

Rewind 18 months, and if any club signed a player, or had an academy graduate, and they were offered a 5 year contract, nobody in the media, punditry, ex-players etc would have said a word. club X sign player Y on 5 year deal........the transfer fee and wages might have got some air time, but not the length of contract. 

Now our 6 year deals are fairly common (for us) and everyone reacts like we have ripped up the playbook.

2 hours ago, ozzie said:

Being new to this forum one thing really, really stands out. Some of you seem to get very upset by media rumours. 

You really shouldn't take anything in the written media, especially twitter, too seriously. I would actually suggest not looking at it at all but if you do then pleasse try to understand that about 0.0000001% of what is written is true.

You are 100% right. 

It actually amuses me that this even needs to be said 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If he leaves for nothing, he will need replacing. 

If he leaves for 40m, he will need replacing. 

but what is going to cost?
Based on recent transfers the club have recruited lower level players at higher cost than ones released or sold. 

2 hours ago, ozzie said:

Being new to this forum one thing really, really stands out. Some of you seem to get very upset by media rumours. 

You really shouldn't take anything in the written media, especially twitter, too seriously. I would actually suggest not looking at it at all but if you do then pleasse try to understand that about 0.0000001% of what is written is true.

Hello Ozzie and welcome to the forum

with respect, people posting from twitter etc. is more to do with keeping the topic interesting / entertaining, Be a bit boring just waiting for TCOW for announcement of signing or Jim White and Skyspots 

4 hours ago, ozzie said:

Still like Jackson personally,  I like his work rate, his attitude, his physicality and he doesn't let anyone bully him. He has very obvious flaws, especially his head down and running into trouble, his finishing and his decision making but he is still very raw. He's only started 29 league games in his life and has 19 goals and 6 assists.

He will make a very capable back up if and when we ever buy a proper striker.

I doubt when he signed he was sold the role as the back up striker. There again with Bournemouth being his origin destination maybe he was happy at being a No2 striker at a club like Chelsea for the next 7 years. 

35 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Five, but then I still reckon Schurlle and Werner are going to make it soon,

I loved both those players. If nothing else, they always worked their hardest.

Schurrle I thought at one point was going to be brilliant. I was at Craven Cottage when he scored a hat trick. Direct running, clinical finishing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I loved both those players. If nothing else, they always worked their hardest.

Schurrle I thought at one point was going to be brilliant. I was at Craven Cottage when he scored a hat trick. Direct running, clinical finishing.

I was there that day as well. My dad was stood next to me. We watched Schurrle have one of the worst first halves of football I've ever seen, he was utterly hapless. Having an absolute mare. Couldn't do a thing right.  We were amazed he came out for the second half. Early in the second half they were attacking the away end with us in it, and my Dad lost his temper and screamed a stream of the vilest obscenities at him, the theme being "do something please, if you don't mind, you hapless Teutonic type gentleman" (paraphrasing here) and I swear he looked up, took one more touch and scored.  Then scored two more and I recall was unlucky not to have four in the end. Was a brilliant away end that day, loved it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I was there that day as well. My dad was stood next to me. We watched Schurrle have one of the worst first halves of football I've ever seen, he was utterly hapless. Having an absolute mare. Couldn't do a thing right.  We were amazed he came out for the second half. Early in the second half they were attacking the away end with us in it, and my Dad lost his temper and screamed a stream of the vilest obscenities at him, the theme being "do something please, if you don't mind, you hapless Teutonic type gentleman" (paraphrasing here) and I swear he looked up, took one more touch and scored.  Then scored two more and I recall was unlucky not to have four in the end. Was a brilliant away end that day, loved it.

ha, I don't remember that much detail, as ended up pretty sloshed in a Putney curry house, getting told off for singing the Andre Schurrle song.

This was before I had a family, and I was free to misbehave on a Saturday evening. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Morgerino, were you typing that as you waited for your coffee to cool down? 👀🤣

• Haha 2

We need a proper new WB if Chilly can't stay fit. Also a new inside forward while selling Madueke. A proper striker. Let's see how Perisic develops before GK hunting. With that in place honestly the squad looks fine. Good young team that need the Arteta/Klopp treatment.

But if Poch keeps playing 4 CBs we'll need a new manager too.

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm not sure that's been entirely by choice 🤔

Strange thing to pin on Poch.

Play 3 CBs with Caicedo or Gallagher spotting in to make it a 4 when defending. Use wingers as high wing backs.  4 CBs when we dominate possession anyway is overkill.

9 hours ago, Morgs said:

Was there too with my son and remember it exactly the way you describe it, he was absolutely hopeless - we were both praying for him to get hooked. When he got his third we just looked at each other, laughed and belted out his song.