Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

10 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

Play 3 CBs with Caicedo or Gallagher spotting in to make it a 4 when defending. Use wingers as high wing backs.  4 CBs when we dominate possession anyway is overkill.

Please no.

Having Caicedo or Gallagher slot into defence removes them from the area of the pitch where they are needed most. We'd end up with a CB (or two) playing fullback, or worse all-action midfielders playing CB.

To then use wingers as "high wingbacks" is equally as detrimental, considering none of our wingers on hand are defensively strong as it is. You can't just keep them high up the pitch for 90 minutes, so inevitably they are going to need to do defending. You would think seeing the likes of Pulisic and Sterling struggle in the past would be enough of a deterrent to try it again.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Toney the man embarrassed to be playing for lowly Brentford is reported as saying he's off to Arsenal instead of Chelsea because

"I can't see a jet and enter a train" 

Congratulations board we dodged a bullet. 

To be fair he is only saying what everyone else is thinking.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

And also to be fair he is an absolute bellend as he's proven time and again.

Fair enough, but at least this time he is putting his mouth where his money is rather than putting his money down against Brentford instead of his mouth

• Agree 1

Japanese star Yamamoto goes to Dodgers for 12 years, $325M

Another huge LA dodgers deal for Boehly.

I knew that the Ohtani deal kept most of the payments back.

I didn't realise that it was $2m a year for 10 years with $680m payable only at the end.
And that apparently evades Baseball salary restrictions to a much greater extent than football long contracts evade FFP.
I can see Ohtani having $680m due which he will be unable to collect.

(I bet his agents have made sure they collect a lot lot earlier)

Edited by Dwmh

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

I really dont understand these rumours that we are willing to sell Gallagher (unless of course its all bullsh1t). We have no depth in midfield. Lavia and Les are only just returning from injury / enzo will probably be out for a while and f2ck knows whats happened to Chuk

And why hasn’t Madueke been given a chance? Is he injured too?

5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Toney the man embarrassed to be playing for lowly Brentford is reported as saying he's off to Arsenal instead of Chelsea because

"I can't see a jet and enter a train" 

Congratulations board we dodged a bullet. 

Idk, Ivan. Reckon a jet from Kew Bridge to Highbury would be much more of a pain in the arse than a train, the Overground down the road does that journey in about 30 minutes. 

I don't think there's any chance we were in for him. We don't buy players of that age and I can't see where the money for him would have been coming from.

I'd not be surprised if the quote is completely made up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't think there's any chance we were in for him. We don't buy players of that age and I can't see where the money for him would have been coming from.

Indeed.  He is a player for a team that thinks it can win stuff in the next 18 months, by when it really won't care about sell on values.

Remember a club like that?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Feeling quite angry about these Gallagher rumours, if true I think this could turn toxic very quickly. This ownership have been wildly erratic at the best of times but I don't think they realise just how much this could turn the tide. It's clear now Mount was pushed out the door, just as Hall was for the FFP profit. All done to fund pointless signings like Lavia just out of pure greed. How many Centre midfielders have we bought?

Santos can't get a game at Forest. Casadai getting no time in the Championship.  Washington, Angelo unlikely to ever be good enough. The 8 year amortizations rely on us either being very successful or selling players every year to break even. Mudryk and Madueke need 2 years out on loan but we have no choice but to pray they come good.

Mount, Gallagher, Maatsen, Hall will all be the fall guys. Colwill probably next. Eventually we will run out of academy players to auction off and all that will be left is the over priced dross we've spent a billion on. 

After last year's horror show, this year hasn't been much better. For all the money spent we still have an unbalanced squad of kids with no goal scorers. As far as I'm aware the owners haven't had too much backlash yet, at least in the ground. With all the media briefings against Mount they just about got away with, the fact he's not done much at United has helped. 

Gallagher is Chelsea through and through and I'm sure would sign a new contract in a heartbeat. They'll sell Gallagher and claim he refused to sign a contract, just like with Mount. If he goes that'll be the end of my patience with them. It's pretty clear even online that most feel the same. They've shown previously with the Stake sponsorship they can flip decisions based on backlash so I really hope they are forced into reconsidering. Feels like we're losing the heart of the club. 

16 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Feeling quite angry about these Gallagher rumours,

Isn't that exactly the response the media wants?  That and schadenfreude for every other club.

17 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

if true I think this could turn toxic very quickly.

I'm thinking of obvious things that have happened which we are not supposed to mention.
How about USA might get run out of Afghanistan

20 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

It's clear now Mount was pushed out the door, just as Hall was for the FFP profit.

I don't think they were pushed, I think they jumped, with great eagerness.
Remember we fans might thing of cobham being a place to grow great future Chelsea players.  The youngsters and their parents just think of it as a great place to develop future Championship players, lower Prem if lucky.

Jack Cork is probably the ideal, didn't actually leave till he was 22.  586 club appearances so far, about 3/4 in the Prem. Even an England cap!  Never played for Chelsea.  I bet he loves his career and is really greatful to the coaches at Cobham.

If I had a son and was driving him to Cobham several times a week that is exactly the kind of career I'd be dreaming of.

Maybe we should have a Poll.

We love Gallagher and are thinking about the next step in his career.
Our advice to him is:

• Weigh your offers carefully, consider what might happen at the next contract rollover, choose the best offer
  • Get the hell out quick, while you are still in demand.

42 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Maybe we should have a Poll.

We love Gallagher and are thinking about the next step in his career.
Our advice to him is:

• Weigh your offers carefully, consider what might happen at the next contract rollover, choose the best offer
  • Get the hell out quick, while you are still in demand.

First option.

He is one of the few that plays with a Chelsea spirit and with his heart outside his shirt.

Sometimes too eager and rough, but it is what he is.

Edited by asvaberg

36 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

First option.

He is one of the few that plays with a Chelsea spirit and with his heart outside his shirt.

Sometimes too eager and rough, but it is what he is.

Love that about Conor and for me he has improved as the season advances..maybe he is just more settled on the pitch but for whatever reason he is earning his pay every week...having said that I don't quite buy into the "disaster if he is sold " school of thought...not a good thing by any means but to me he hasn't proven that he is better than the Ake level Chelsea graduate...by no means a put down quite the opposite and in some ways an agreement with the Droy academy as a great place to develop good professional skills etc. but compare Butch in his early days...over simplification but that is the difference. In a struggling unsettled Chelsea squad ..in a football sense..he is a shining light.

I wish him well and hope he can cement a great Chelsea career  but he has to show a higher level of ability going forward to become entrenched..just my humble opinion....no agenda.

2 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Feeling quite angry about these Gallagher rumours, if true I think this could turn toxic very quickly. This ownership have been wildly erratic at the best of times but I don't think they realise just how much this could turn the tide. It's clear now Mount was pushed out the door, just as Hall was for the FFP profit. All done to fund pointless signings like Lavia just out of pure greed. How many Centre midfielders have we bought?

Santos can't get a game at Forest. Casadai getting no time in the Championship.  Washington, Angelo unlikely to ever be good enough. The 8 year amortizations rely on us either being very successful or selling players every year to break even. Mudryk and Madueke need 2 years out on loan but we have no choice but to pray they come good.

Mount, Gallagher, Maatsen, Hall will all be the fall guys. Colwill probably next. Eventually we will run out of academy players to auction off and all that will be left is the over priced dross we've spent a billion on. 

After last year's horror show, this year hasn't been much better. For all the money spent we still have an unbalanced squad of kids with no goal scorers. As far as I'm aware the owners haven't had too much backlash yet, at least in the ground. With all the media briefings against Mount they just about got away with, the fact he's not done much at United has helped. 

Gallagher is Chelsea through and through and I'm sure would sign a new contract in a heartbeat. They'll sell Gallagher and claim he refused to sign a contract, just like with Mount. If he goes that'll be the end of my patience with them. It's pretty clear even online that most feel the same. They've shown previously with the Stake sponsorship they can flip decisions based on backlash so I really hope they are forced into reconsidering. Feels like we're losing the heart of the club. 

I said it the other day.  This does NOT sound like a club planning to sell Gallagher. 

Screenshot_20231222_213402_X.thumb.jpg.cee599daa7d4f559fbe2e2162710ff5f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, chara said:

I wish him well and hope he can cement a great Chelsea career  but he has to show a higher level of ability going forward to become entrenched..just my humble opinion....no agenda.

Did JT's qualities make up for his lack of pace?  Did  Makalele's qualities make up for his limitations on the ball ? Did Kante's qualities make up for his less than high level technical ability?  Yes they did and then  some!

Question is now about wether or not Gallagher's qualities make up for his technical flaws? I'd say a definite yes to that! Tis why I'm such a downer on Enzo. I don't think what he does on the ball comes close to being enough to make up for his physical limitations.

6 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Did JT's qualities make up for his lack of pace?  Did  Makalele's qualities make up for his limitations on the ball ? Did Kante's qualities make up for his less than high level technical ability?  Yes they did and then  some!

Question is now about wether or not Gallagher's qualities make up for his technical flaws? I'd say a definite yes to that! Tis why I'm such a downer on Enzo. I don't think what he does on the ball comes close to being enough to make up for his physical limitations.

For me, Enzo and Caicedo have a LOT to do to be anywhere near the standard required. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

For me, Enzo and Caicedo have a LOT to do to be anywhere near the standard required. 

For me they, Enzo in particular, are brilliant players, so in different ways is Gallagher.
Enzo in a better team would be fabulous.  Gallagher in a worse team would stand out a mile (as he did at worse teams already and does even with us).  Caicedo is a large part of the reason we have 70% possession so often, so lets not blame him for wasting it.

image.png.1fe93c862000ebd763edd229542815f7.png

We are 6th in possession stats
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/possession/Premier-League-Stats
Just 3% below City in first place.  5% higher than 7th place.

Possession is the one thing we do at an elite Level.  Caicedo and Gallagher ball winning is the main part of that.