Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Kovacic to City or Bayern doing the rounds again. I really hope it's true. I've never been much of an admirer and he's completely fallen off a cliff this year, and one of the more senior players I think it would have been fair to expect more from. At 29, this would be the last opportunity to get much in for him. 

Bro I still don’t really know what he does 🤣

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The exciting project? Which project would that be? If I’m Rice I’d be very hesitant to let myself be swayed by Boehly and the likes. 

Mount might not even be here when the new season kicks off. 

Rice will go to Man U or Man C. I’d be very surprised to see him leave for Arsenal. 

Exactly.If City are after him why on earth would he come to us?.

Who's to say Mount hasn't said to him..' look mate join them(Chelsea) if you want but I think they won't see success again for a very long time that's why I have big doubts about signing a new contract'.

Edited by kev61

11 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I don't think it will happen, but I disagree about Maatsen. If Cucurella wanted to go or was part of a deal to bring in someone we need¶, we would need to replace him with a backup. I don't know a fully experienced left-back/wing-back who would want the task of being Chilwell's backup. I would prefer not to use a left-sided centre-back or midfielder for the role either. At 21, Maatsen is not a child any more. He has played in the Championship with 43 appearances with four goals and six assists.  His team, Burnley, got promoted, and he was successful enough in that team to be in the Championship squad of the season.  I am not sure what else he could have done apart from playing in a midtable premier league club (as Chelsea currently is).

(¶not sure Felix is)

Which is exactly why Cucurella is worthwhile going around with again. He's had a tough season in a side that's been miserable across the board with no others truly standing out in their own right either. Away from the football pitch he's also had a tough time of things with significant illness and having his home robbed. We've seen that he can do it at a Premier League level with his initial season at Brighton, so it's not like he can't be good.

Maatsen is talented, and while he's done well at Championship level that's not a direct passage to being capable in the top flight either. God forbid Chilwell goes down for any length of time and Maatsen has to carry the entire left back workload himself, that's a huge ask even for an experienced player much less someone that's yet to play at this level. A couple of mistakes or poor games and he'll be targeted by the boo boys, as we've seen time and time again. 

It's not just about Maatsen in isolation though, we've already got a young enough defensive group as it is. Which may get younger if Colwill is part of the team next season and we lose any of Koulibaly or Thiago Silva. 

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Bro I still don’t really know what he does 🤣

He's a brilliant complimentary piece that does a bit of everything, a great glue piece if you will to steal a basketball term. 

In a functional side like Man City where he'd excel bridging any gaps to retain balance, in our dysfunctional side we ask him to do more and he's not quite capable of being a bonafide creator, a goal scorer, or a defensive menace.

He's a good player, and for me still has value here, but it makes sense to sell if he isn't going to extend.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Kovacic to City or Bayern doing the rounds again. I really hope it's true. I've never been much of an admirer and he's completely fallen off a cliff this year, and one of the more senior players I think it would have been fair to expect more from. At 29, this would be the last opportunity to get much in for him. 

TBF he was carrying a known injury early in the season that required surgery but was putting it off to play in the World Cup. There's been no update on this front so I presume it's still a problem that'll be addressed in the summer. 

He's also played a more defensively focused role since Jorginho was sold to support Enzo, which is reflected in his heat maps. 

As an Enzo alternative I think he's still got plenty of value, but he's arguably better than that and would certainly fit a side like City to a tee. Technically solid, efficient in possession, progresses the ball well, and some may be surprised but he's also in the top tier when it comes to passes into the final third -  would compliment a functional attack incredibly well. 

On 09/05/2023 at 20:16, Bob Singleton said:

The more I watch Rice, the more I think he's worth every penny of that valuation.

he's also pretty much the ideal partner for Enzo.

That's working on the premise that Enzo is a standout player..he isn't which makes your views on Rice a bit foolish.

On 09/05/2023 at 22:31, martin1905 said:

I don't think overspending in the past is a reason to do it again, although I'd argue Fofana will be worth every penny, he's going to be world class.

The type of player Rice is, will never, in my opinion, be the type of player that warrants that sort of price tag. Rodri was a similar age when he went to City and cost £60m odd. Fabinho cost Liverpool £40m. Those sort of players just don't cost that sort of money.

I've said for years how much I rate him although always thought he'd end up as a centre half, he proved me wrong there, and I'd love him here but no getting away from the fact that it's a silly amount of money for a player of his type.

People seem to think splashing all this money about will have no consequences.

We are not run by the UAE with a blank cheque.The longer we get things wrong the sooner Bohely and Co will start to put a hold on  funds.

Some seem to think Poch will be the answer - he might be but don't bet on it.I think it is more than possible we will languish for years before we are even in contention for top 4 just like Man U.

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

We are not run by the UAE with a blank cheque.The longer we get things wrong the sooner Bohely and Co will start to put a hold on  funds.

Some seem to think Poch will be the answer - he might be but don't bet on it.I think it is more than possible we will languish for years before we are even in contention for top 4 just like Man U.

Here you go, Kev - I’ve refilled your glass. It was half empty! 🤪

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Which is exactly why Cucurella is worthwhile going around with again. He's had a tough season in a side that's been miserable across the board with no others truly standing out in their own right either. Away from the football pitch he's also had a tough time of things with significant illness and having his home robbed. We've seen that he can do it at a Premier League level with his initial season at Brighton, so it's not like he can't be good.

He should be one for the exit door, people can try and make reasons for him to stay, However, at the end of the day he's not very good "just another Brighton phoney"

Edited by ROTG

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

It not an issue,

TB has put together a sports department consisting of persons who's jobs consisted of  finding players for their mid table teams, train them for a season or two at mid table level and sell them off at the highest price to whoever wants them. Therefore TB bases are covered should it not go so well with MP

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

It not an issue,

TB has put together a sports department consisting of persons who's jobs consisted of  finding players for their mid table teams, train them for a season or two at mid table level and sell them off at the highest price to whoever wants them. Therefore TB bases are covered should it not go so well with MP

You'r mad as a hatter with an agenda that is playing nicely into your hands...for now.

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

He should be one for the exit door, people can try and make reasons for him to stay, However, at the end of the day he's not very good "just another Brighton phoney"

If he'd had been here 3-4 years and turned in the sort of season he's had, I'd completely agree. Tossing him on the scrap heap after one season, and in the circumstances it's been, would be shortsighted to say the least. This "Brighton phoney" absolutely pocked us, and other top sides all last season, so he's quite clearly capable. 

39 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

If he'd had been here 3-4 years and turned in the sort of season he's had, I'd completely agree. Tossing him on the scrap heap after one season, and in the circumstances it's been, would be shortsighted to say the least. This "Brighton phoney" absolutely pocked us, and other top sides all last season, so he's quite clearly capable. 

Absolute agree with this and hat goes for all the new  players including Koulibaly and Sterling. So much went wrong this season. Literally every single player, including our best players from the previous few years have been shocking. It's no surprise the new signings struggled.

As far as I'm concerned as soon as this season is over, we reset, wipe the slate clean and everyone is given a fresh start with a full, uninterrupted pre season, under a proper manager and we go from there.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Sorry I am lost

image.thumb.png.904277f2a334cffcc88ba09e3f47cd5c.png

image.thumb.png.6bb0e7852fc4812ef1dee1f07e731525.png

28 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Absolute agree with this and hat goes for all the new  players including Koulibaly and Sterling. So much went wrong this season. Literally every single player, including our best players from the previous few years have been shocking. It's no surprise the new signings struggled.

As far as I'm concerned as soon as this season is over, we reset, wipe the slate clean and everyone is given a fresh start with a full, uninterrupted pre season, under a proper manager and we go from there.

That's not possible, given that the squad has to be drastically pruned, even before we start bringing anyone in. 

Unless by 'everyone' you just mean the players who have arrived and underperformed in the past two windows.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Kovacic and Jorginho gone in the space of 6 months. Fantastic news.

Kepa next. 🤞

Yeah great news. I mean if Pep thinks he can add to what is currently the best team in the world then i'm sure he has nothing to offer midtable Chelsea. 

• Like 1