Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

And as you've routinely been told, and remind again just before by @boratsbrother, we also largely benefited by teams around us choking when it mattered most allowing us to squeeze into that top 4 position.

18/19 - We may have finished on 72pts but only were only 2 ahead of 5th placed Arsenal. Our second half of the season would've had us 6th, 4pts better off than 12th placed Burnley in that time. Tottenham were ahead of us going into the New Year, but fell off at the back end themselves. We could've quite easily have finished 4th or 5th. We also had quite possibly the easiest run of European fixtures I've seen any club have. Virtually didn't play a competitive team until the semi-final vs Frankfurt and nearly bottled it. Then it took Hazard to carry us in the final after one of the worst opening 45 minutes to a final. 

19/20 - We were 4th when the league stopped in March 2020, 5 points behind 3rd placed Leicester and 3 ahead of Man Utd in 5th. When things resumed we finished out the season with the 5th best return from the remaining games, if Leicester didn't bottle it completely picking up only 12 points from their last 10 games we'd have likely finished 5th - given Man Utd had the second strongest finish to the season behind only Man City (despite one less match). 

20/21 - Finished 4th but only just. Bottled our own future by losing to Villa in the final game of the season 2-1, only for Leicester to drop the ball themselves in a 4-2 loss to Tottenham. Ended up finishing a single points ahead of Leicester and 2 points ahead of 5th placed West Ham. Could have quite easily have finished the season in 5th. 

21/22 - A strong first half of the season had us 2nd going into the new year (albeit it had played more games than some other teams). Yet again we dropped off in the second half of the season collecting 32 pts from our 18 games. Deserved to finish were we did on merit. 

Our league form isn't as impressive as you try and paint it just by numbers alone. 

Honestly, second reply to you in a few minutes, but this persistence with the idea we weren't that good before is incredible given just how shit we are now. We finished in the positions we did, by getting more points than most of the opposition. That is all that matters, despite your attempts to dress it up. And we routinely made it to the top 4, even when we weren't that strong. 

Is your argument genuinely "other teams choked, but we didn't". Crazy stuff. 

You routinely fail to accept that what success could be for a non-state backed club changed well before the period you list, and by the standards of that changed landscape we consistently did brilliantly. We are miles off being even close to the sides that squeezed into the top 4 or finals.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Honestly, second reply to you in a few minutes, but this persistence with the idea we weren't that good before is incredible given just how shit we are now. We finished in the positions we did, by getting more points than most of the opposition. That is all that matters, despite your attempts to dress it up. And we routinely made it to the top 4, even when we weren't that strong. 

Is your argument genuinely "other teams choked, but we didn't". Crazy stuff. 

You routinely fail to accept that what success could be for a non-state backed club changed well before the period you list, and by the standards of that changed landscape we consistently did brilliantly. We are miles off being even close to the sides that squeezed into the top 4 or finals.

Please point me in the direction of where I've ever said we weren't that good before? What I've said is that we were't necessarily as good as the positions we finished in may have suggested, and I don't think that's an outlandish statement to make when you apply context to how we managed to place in some of these recent years. We were still a good side relatively speaking, and more than capable of beating anyone on our day, hence our cup success in this period, but when it came to doing it domestically we lacked the consistency and quality to truly challenge. 

I didn't list the periods, they were what Droy singled out and I merely addressed those specifically. Of course the standards have changed, I've said as much myself in the past so it's certainly not something I've "routinely failed to accept". The football work is vastly different to what it was 5 or 10 years ago, or even when Roman originally took over and operated as he did. I've also acknowledged that we've gone backwards, but sometimes you do have to so to obtain further progress. 

We could be a whole lot worse off than we are believe it or not. You know, maybe not even having a club left to support at all. So yeah, I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch about being mid-table for the mean time when we're still early days into this particular project. While I don't necessarily agree with everything that's happened, I'm willing to wait it out a bit longer to see what unfolds over at least the next 18-24 months. That doesn't mean I want us to be shit mind you. 

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

League tables and trophy rooms do not lie, however much you try to rubbish the previous regime and the success achieved during their time at the club.

The team is light years away if ever from being a +90pts team, and  would be very surprised if the team can make top 4 in the coming years with the current squad.

With how strong the "big 6-7" are currently, I think the days of  teams routinely getting 90+ points have gone. 

8 minutes ago, Ham said:

With how strong the "big 6-7" are currently, I think the days of  teams routinely getting 90+ points have gone. 

You could be right, looking at the half way point of the season one team need to get ~50pts in the second half of the season to make 90pts

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ham said:

Yes, gone.
But then I think the days of teams getting 90+ points were always rare, never routine.
Teams as in 2 teams have broken 90 points only twice in the Prem (and I am delighted to tell you that Liverpool were second both times - hence my secret like of Citeh - and by 1 point only!!)

There are 11 occasions where a team got 90+ points (9 seasons).

The nice thing about the big 6/7 is that no one can tell who will win the Prem when only have the games have been played, it has been a shortlist of 2 and sometimes 1 in recent years.

(The nasty thing of course is that we are neither in the short list or the big 6/7)

Edited by Dwmh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Indeed.
18/19 Sarri  72pts, 3rd, LC final, Europa Winners
19/20 Lampard 66, 4th, FAC final, 
20/21 Lampard/TT 67, 4th, FAC final, CL Winners
21/22 Tuchel 74pts, 3rd, FAC final, LC final, CL QF, SC & CWC winners

Under RA we were mostly 1st or 2nd until 2017 after which we were 3rd /4th but at the time when both Man City and Liverpool were at their peak.

Suddenly - and it really is Sudden, we are a 10th / 12th team with 44-50 points.

2 "proper trophies" and mile's away from challenging for, let alone winning the league. 

We had become a team scrapping for top four and looking likely to drop out of that with the way the team was stagnating. We used to ridicule Arsenal for accepting that level in the league. Again, I fully support our owners for not being prepared to settle for that and had he stayed, I'm sure Roman wouldn't have sat back and excepted that level too!

Better to try and fail to be the best than to tamely accept second.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

2 "proper trophies" and mile's away from challenging for, let alone winning the league. 

And we are now at one non-proper Semi and thousands of miles away from challenging for a CL place.

52 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Better to try and fail to be the best than to tamely accept second.

That has got to be the lamest excuse for inadequacy I have ever heard.

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

If we sell Gallagher, then it's proof to me that the club is now being run by morons. Sad.

They’re so stupid and ignorant I wouldn’t be surprised if they threw in  Alfie Gilchrist and Levi Colwill as part of the deal. If I were Poch and didn’t authorise the Gallagher sale, I’d resign. 

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m not liking these stories about us willing to sell Gallagher and in particular the links to Spurs. I’m not suggesting it’s happening just based of a few journos etc saying so, but if it does turn out to be happening, I will be absolutely furious.

Bro if it happens I’m pretty much done. Not kidding. 

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

If we sell Gallagher, then it's proof to me that the club is now being run by morons. Sad.

…and to Spurs 🤣🤣🤣. But apparently selling academy players helps our ffp status ( having spunked all our millions on a load of outside shite). 
But here’s the hilarious thing. When we’ve sold the soul of this club , and all those amazing academy players that we waited so many years for the academy to produce, the ffp authorities will still find a way to do us and probably relegate us to the championship. Then all the big “stars” will leave and Boehly will be scratching his head and asking if we have any decent academy players left to make up a team. 

• Agree 3

35 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

RANT INCOMING…

Let’s not allow the narrative of ‘selling Gallagher for FFP purposes’ stick. Yes, it’s to do with FFP, but we wouldn’t have to to be doing it had we not spent all those many millions on all the players. I’d rather we kept Gallagher and never signed Lavia, Washington, Moreira and Ugochukwu. I’d rather we kept Gallagher than sign Caicedo or Enzo as well.

We made stupid signings that we now need to offset in order for us to strengthen a squad the owners put together themselves.

It massively highlights the lack of planning and terrible running of our club if it happens.

I’d rather we sold Maatsen, Broja and Chalobah than Gallagher.

If Gallagher gets sold to Tottenham, then I’m done with these owners and the so called football people they put in place. If we do it in January it also has every possibility of derailing a season that’s barely on the rails as it is and will completely undermine the manager.

Even if Gallagher wasn’t home grown I wouldn’t want to see him sold, he’s been by far our most consistent performer this season, he very rarely gets injured, let alone needs a rest and at the moment is our best player along with Palmer. Gallagher is Chelsea. James isn’t Chelsea as he can’t stay fit and I love Reece James, but Gallagher is Chelsea and he should be the face of the club as we move into the new era.

Selling Gallagher would be insanity and tell me that the people in charge know nothing about the sport and what it means.

Also, imagine the message it sends out to the rest of the academy… you’re here to help us buy unknown foreign imports and nothing else. Gross and I hate it. It’s such a massive part about what is wrong with the game nowadays.

Have I made it clear how I feel about the possibility of Gallagher going?! 

What an awesome post, says everything I feel and more.  

Selling Gallagher to Spurs of all clubs?  Utter insanity.  I wish he could refuse to go 😞 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Selling Gallagher to Spurs of all clubs?  Utter insanity.  I wish he could refuse to go 😞 

I guess he could actually and would be interesting to see what happens. Imagine if he refused to go to Spurs, he’s become an instant legend at the club.

He could refuse to go, see out his contract in the hope he can get a new one signed and if not, have his pick of clubs and a massive salary. I’d rather he did that as it would put a massive middle finger up to the owners as they’d make no money for FFP.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

RANT INCOMING…

Let’s not allow the narrative of ‘selling Gallagher for FFP purposes’ stick. Yes, it’s to do with FFP, but we wouldn’t have to to be doing it had we not spent all those many millions on all the players. I’d rather we kept Gallagher and never signed Lavia, Washington, Moreira and Ugochukwu. I’d rather we kept Gallagher than sign Caicedo or Enzo as well.

We made stupid signings that we now need to offset in order for us to strengthen a squad the owners put together themselves.

It massively highlights the lack of planning and terrible running of our club if it happens.

I’d rather we sold Maatsen, Broja and Chalobah than Gallagher.

If Gallagher gets sold to Tottenham, then I’m done with these owners and the so called football people they put in place. If we do it in January it also has every possibility of derailing a season that’s barely on the rails as it is and will completely undermine the manager.

Even if Gallagher wasn’t home grown I wouldn’t want to see him sold, he’s been by far our most consistent performer this season, he very rarely gets injured, let alone needs a rest and at the moment is our best player along with Palmer. Gallagher is Chelsea. James isn’t Chelsea as he can’t stay fit and I love Reece James, but Gallagher is Chelsea and he should be the face of the club as we move into the new era.

Selling Gallagher would be insanity and tell me that the people in charge know nothing about the sport and what it means.

Also, imagine the message it sends out to the rest of the academy… you’re here to help us buy unknown foreign imports and nothing else. Gross and I hate it. It’s such a massive part about what is wrong with the game nowadays.

Have I made it clear how I feel about the possibility of Gallagher going?! 

Bro. This is the post of 2023.💙💙💙😔

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I did hear a rumour that we want Hojbjerg from Spurs in part exchange , a player they don't rate for our Captain , sounds about right considering  the mentalists running the club. 

If they go ahead with this kind of deal or even selling Gallagher then I hope they get what they deserve and that’s a failing club that loses them billions.

(I obviously don’t as it’s is fans who also have to suffer, but you get what I’m trying to say)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Frankly Gallagher refusing to go to Spurs would be utter insanity - on his part.  Pretty much every single decent player we had has gone.  The exceptions have been Silva, Chilwell and James, none of which can guarantee to be available for 20 games a season.

[Gallagher btw made his debut under the current owners having spent the last 3 RA seasons off on loan (great choice for him and us).  He is not an old first team member any more than Sterling or Aubamyemang.]

I'd be really surprised if it were the Creamcakes pushing for Gallagher to move.

I'd be amazed if Gallagher and/or his agent wasn't pushing hard to get out.
If Gallagher goes I shall be delighted.

delighted for him, obvs.

Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

If they go ahead with this kind of deal or even selling Gallagher then I hope they get what they deserve and that’s a failing club that loses them billions.

happened already.

2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Even after everything that has happened in the last 2 years, I find it difficult to believe that we are looking to sell a player who has started EVERY game he has been available, whilst Captaining most. 

Ignore the noise, and think about it logically (not aimed at you, personally, I am talking generally)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2