Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Chaps  (and Jane ) the last time we got more than 75 points was in 2016-2017 under Conte when he won the league, we have not finished in the top two since.

We need better players to be recruited they normally look for better wages, hint from history Sparta beat the Athenians at sea as they paid thier rowers more than the Athenians. 

Of course if we can identify the right up and coming youngsters that might work though for me there are few if any recent examples.

We certainly have a huge challenge ahead perhaps something gives or Lady Luck smiles on us.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

The Fulham LB is really good. Powerful and quick, doesn't give attackers any space and shuts most out pretty easily. Would be a smart pick up if we're able to move on Chilwell, Cucurella etc. 

Robinson? Always like him as an attacking threat

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

The Fulham LB is really good. Powerful and quick, doesn't give attackers any space and shuts most out pretty easily. Would be a smart pick up if we're able to move on Chilwell, Cucurella etc. 

Yeah he is a good player. Might have issues getting through a medical. I’m sure he failed one with Milan based around some heart condition. Knowing our luck, we would sign him and that condition would become apparent agin ! 

• Sad 1

Since Costa, these have been our strikers. Goals vs appearances. Off Wiki. Tammy best of the bunch. But boy do we need a real striker. Hope we get Osimhen.

Giroud 17G/75A

Batshuayi 8G/48A

Remy 8G/32A

Werner 10G/56A

Higuain 5G/14A

Morata 16G/47A

Falcao 1G/10A

Pato 1G/2A

Abraham 21G/58A

Lukaku 8G/26A

Jackson 7G/19A

Broja 2G/25A

• Thanks 1

I'm sick and tired of selling players in order to buy new ones that are no better, and often less effective, than those they replaced. How about training those we already have to be better instead? Is that not the point of a coach?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I'm sick and tired of selling players in order to buy new ones that are no better, and often less effective, than those they replaced. How about training those we already have to be better instead? Is that not the point of a coach?

Agreed. I’ve long said we don’t need yet more players and Brazilian children. We need to improve what we have - for this, Poch has more than enough work to do.

8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

We are losing players who know enough to want out, and gaining players who don't know yet.  Not sure any coach can do much about that and it is too late anyway.

41 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

Since Costa, these have been our strikers. Goals vs appearances. Off Wiki. Tammy best of the bunch. But boy do we need a real striker. Hope we get Osimhen.

Giroud 17G/75A

Batshuayi 8G/48A

Remy 8G/32A

Werner 10G/56A

Higuain 5G/14A

Morata 16G/47A

Falcao 1G/10A

Pato 1G/2A

Abraham 21G/58A

Lukaku 8G/26A

Jackson 7G/19A

Broja 2G/25A

I am not suggesting he’d have been the answer, but I really don’t understand why we sold Abraham. He’s much better than Broja is and ever will be and whilst he wasn’t the most naturally gifted footballer, he was able to find the goal with decent enough regularity to have been a good back up striker IMO.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I am not suggesting he’d have been the answer, but I really don’t understand why we sold Abraham. He’s much better than Broja is and ever will be and whilst he wasn’t the most naturally gifted footballer, he was able to find the goal with decent enough regularity to have been a good back up striker IMO.

💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯 love Tammy.

53 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

Giroud 17G/75A

Batshuayi 8G/48A

Remy 8G/32A

Werner 10G/56A

Higuain 5G/14A

Morata 16G/47A

Falcao 1G/10A

Pato 1G/2A

Abraham 21G/58A

Lukaku 8G/26A

Jackson 7G/19A

Broja 2G/25A

What’s staggering about this is excluding Jackson and Broja (as they are still here) of our last 10 strikers, only 3 have made more than 50 appearances and none have reached 100.   Which isn’t all that difficult given the amount of games played nowadays.

This is a spectacularly bad list.   I loved Tuchel and would have him back in a heartbeat, but I think not playing Tammy and then selling him 6 months later is the worst thing he did as CFC manager. 

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

What’s staggering about this is excluding Jackson and Broja (as they are still here) of our last 10 strikers, only 3 have made more than 50 appearances and none have reached 100.   Which isn’t all that difficult given the amount of games played nowadays.

This is a spectacularly bad list.   I loved Tuchel and would have him back in a heartbeat, but I think not playing Tammy and then selling him 6 months later is the worst thing he did as CFC manager. 

Tuchel is a world class manager and could see Abraham was a donkey who had reached his ceiling. Right decision to bench and sell. Wrong decision to replace with an even greater donkey in Lukaku. Let's not pretend Abraham is above Championship level at best.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

It's not the point of Pochettino , the longer he has them the worse they're getting.

33 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Really?  I loved Tammy and always thought that his energy and Gallagher's energy would make them big stars (I bought into Mount and James's appearances and goals, but never felt close to them as players).  
But I would say moving on from Tammy was one of TTs smarter moves.  Giroud too.

Admittedly Lukaku didn't work out, but I am not sure why.

Conor..... IT'S THE MEDIA!!!

Old somewhat obscure Johnny Cash line....."Bad news travels like wildfire,,,good news travels slow"..revise as "Media rubbish travels like wildfire...real news travels slow!"

The question is WHY would such a thing be in the works ?...WE seem to be able to find justification for the media claims with a sale figure quoted as 40 million ?...a journeyman price tag as things stand and of no real ffp or whatever movement.

The sentiments expressed by everyone..me included...show a deep appreciation of Conor's application and influence on the present Chelsea wobbly situation at every level....remember the Media hate Chelsea and delight in any opportunity to carve out some skin and dragging down one of the few good things we have at this time is morning delight for them...need a bit more than the ever present out of context "Spent a billion and look where they are" jibe.

Deep breath everyone.................. (hard as it may be)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

Really?  I loved Tammy and always thought that his energy and Gallagher's energy would make them big stars (I bought into Mount and James's appearances and goals, but never felt close to them as players).  
But I would say moving on from Tammy was one of TTs smarter moves.  Giroud too.

Admittedly Lukaku didn't work out, but I am not sure why.

Tammy would have been the perfect back-up striker, and we've bought and sold a number of players since he left without finding anyone more effective. We still don't have a viable main striker, as Broja desperately needs a loan to get regular playing time after his big injury (too many here are too quick to write him off) and Jackson not ready for the responsibility. We could have kept Tammy and spent the money on someone ready to play in the PL.

This logic applies to a lot of academy players that have left. Before anyone says "they left because they wanted to leave", they left because there was no pathway for them to regular first team minutes. A lot of money has been spent on squad roles which could have been filled by academy graduates, which could have been spent on better players for the first XI.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

This logic applies to a lot of academy players that have left. Before anyone says "they left because they wanted to leave", they left because there was no pathway for them to regular first team minutes

... because we were a top 4 club and those opportunities are rare at a top 4 club.
That is why Cole Palmer plays for us now, and not at City.  And why Lavia first went to Southampton and then chose us over Liverpool.  When you are 19, not being at a CL club is good.

And lets be happy for them all, only fans want to see young lads come through at the club they started at.  Players and their parents are just happy to have a Championship or better career.

5 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

A lot of money has been spent on squad roles which could have been filled by academy graduates, which could have been spent on better players for the first XI.

Sure - you can take out all your non-starting over 25 yos, and recruit 19-21 yos like big Les, Madueke, Gusto and Badiashile to take the squad roles along side your rising youth like Broja, Chalobah, Colwill, Maatsen and Gilchrist.

Save yourself a fortune with no downside .....

Seems like someone takes these ideas seriously.

52 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

This logic applies to a lot of academy players that have left. Before anyone says "they left because they wanted to leave", they left because there was no pathway for them to regular first team minutes.

But before anyone says this, they should probably consider the many reasons it's absolute nonsense. A fair few left after getting regular first team minutes, some others because other academy players were keeping them out of the team. The "pathway" was often playing inexperienced kids instead of the better players here. We don't have those better players now and look how that is working out for us.

With respect, you've gone off the rails the second you start with Abraham would be a perfect "back up". It really clearly isn't what he was prepared to be, so to immediately then dismiss an anticipated counter position that acknowledges the plain reality that professional footballers want to play professional football just does not make any sense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

But before anyone says this, they should probably consider the many reasons it's absolute nonsense. A fair few left after getting regular first team minutes, some others because other academy players were keeping them out of the team. The "pathway" was often playing inexperienced kids instead of the better players here. We don't have those better players now and look how that is working out for us.

With respect, you've gone off the rails the second you start with Abraham would be a perfect "back up". It really clearly isn't what he was prepared to be, so to immediately then dismiss an anticipated counter position that acknowledges the plain reality that professional footballers want to play professional football just does not make any sense.

A back-up is someone normally on the bench, playing around 30-40% of the minutes for a team.  Not someone that is frozen out or overlooked in favour of inferior players that cost more. The pathway means many things, including using academy players in pre-season, rather than players that don't have a future with the club. It doesn't mean giving academy players minutes if they don't deserve them.

12 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

A back-up is someone normally on the bench, playing around 30-40% of the minutes for a team.  

There are only 11 starters and 4 or 5 back ups in a squad.  We have shillied around and had 17 or 18 players with 30% of PL minutes recently, but 18/19 and 16/17 it was only 13 players.

In 14/15 we had 11 players with  players 60%+ minutes and just one other (Ramires) above 30%.  Of course a tight team like that under JM either wins the Prem or collapses (the year after).

You seem to be expecting rather a lot of game time for a back up.

13 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Not someone that is frozen out or overlooked in favour of inferior players that cost more.

"Inferior" is the manager's call not yours.  And the player the manager is picking can't be called inferior to the one he is.

(Or if you can say that you can pretty much prove anything you want and all logic fails).

15 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

It doesn't mean giving academy players minutes if they don't deserve them.

ditto - only makes sense if you rate your judgement of player and his fitness as being better than the managers.

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

There are only 11 starters and 4 or 5 back ups in a squad.  We have shillied around and had 17 or 18 players with 30% of PL minutes recently, but 18/19 and 16/17 it was only 13 players.

In 14/15 we had 11 players with  players 60%+ minutes and just one other (Ramires) above 30%.  Of course a tight team like that under JM either wins the Prem or collapses (the year after).

You seem to be expecting rather a lot of game time for a back up.

"Inferior" is the manager's call not yours.  And the player the manager is picking can't be called inferior to the one he is.

(Or if you can say that you can pretty much prove anything you want and all logic fails).

ditto - only makes sense if you rate your judgement of player and his fitness as being better than the managers.

I think the game and calendar becomes ever more intensive and squads become bigger, with minutes spread more thinly. Look at the spread of minutes for the last 3 seasons.

Saying that the coach knows better than the fans so we shouldn't question their decisions rather defeats the object of a forum for discussing a football club.

I do question a lot of the selection  decisions made by Chelsea coaches in recent years, many of which are made for imagined short-term personal gain, rather than the long-term health of the club. Obviously I don't pick the team or control transfers at the club, so my opinion doesn't matter.

I think that encouraging your academy players they can have a future in the first team and spending the limited transfer funds that are available only on top quality players are two crucial ingredients in building a sustainably successful football club. Even Man City are taking academy pathways seriously these days.