Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, chiswickblue said:

I think the game and calendar becomes ever more intensive and squads become bigger, with minutes spread more thinly. Look at the spread of minutes for the last 3 seasons.

Well quite, that means the minutes are spread over more players as 16 are getting on every game, and reaching 30% of all minutes gets harder.

2 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Saying that the coach knows better than the fans so we shouldn't question their decisions rather defeats the object of a forum for discussing a football club.

That is fine when it comes to specifics.  I will quite happily say that say Kalou was wrongly picked by a whole host of managers.
Quite different to say that a whole class of players (how many are we talking about 3 or 4 each season) are being wrongly ignored.

5 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I do question a lot of the selection  decisions made by Chelsea coaches in recent years, many of which are made for imagined short-term personal gain, rather than the long-term health of the club. Obviously I don't pick the team or control transfers at the club, so my opinion doesn't matter.

I think they would call it trophy winning - something that until a year or so ago we were very very good at.
This idea that long term player develoment is more important than winning trophies is stubborn.  No amount of logic seems to kill it off.

7 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I think that encouraging your academy players they can have a future in the first team and spending the limited transfer funds that are available only on top quality players are two crucial ingredients in building a sustainably successful football club. Even Man City are taking academy pathways seriously these days.

Motherhood and apple pie statements about things that directly contradict each other.  
The premier league seems to be littered with Man City rejects.  They used their money to attract a load of kids not long after we started the trend but very few get minutes.

Really not sure why you bring up City at all.  They have Foden playing, Rico Lewis has had 4 starts and there is a Norwegian who arrived at 16 and  has been sub.  It is hardly Gallagher James Colwill and Maatsen.  It is many years since we had that low a level of Academy presence.

I never saw what others did in Broja. His talent blossomed the longer he was injured. When you're considering strikers you don't develop the ability to score. That is innate, you see it in a 19 year old. It doesn't improve as they get older. If they don't have it when they're young it's not something you can improve. What you are training in a striker is their decision making, whether it be making the right run or whether or not to pass rather than shoot. When it becomes the scoring opportunity you either have it or you don't. That ability doesn't improve, it only degrades (Torres). Broja doesn't have it. Indeed, I would even go so far as to say that Tammy is a better striker than Broja. He maybe doesn't do as much on the pitch but he is far more likely to end up with the ball in the back of the net.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I never saw what others did in Broja. His talent blossomed the longer he was injured. When you're considering strikers you don't develop the ability to score. That is innate, you see it in a 19 year old. It doesn't improve as they get older. If they don't have it when they're young it's not something you can improve. What you are training in a striker is their decision making, whether it be making the right run or whether or not to pass rather than shoot. When it becomes the scoring opportunity you either have it or you don't. That ability doesn't improve, it only degrades (Torres). Broja doesn't have it. Indeed, I would even go so far as to say that Tammy is a better striker than Broja. He maybe doesn't do as much on the pitch but he is far more likely to end up with the ball in the back of the net.

Unfortunately Broja so far does not look like the level required. I'm very concerned about Jackson going to AFCON and think we are really going to miss him. He may need to develop his composure in front of goal however his back to goal and link up play is levels above anything else we've got. 

8 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Unfortunately Broja so far does not look like the level required. I'm very concerned about Jackson going to AFCON and think we are really going to miss him. He may need to develop his composure in front of goal however his back to goal and link up play is levels above anything else we've got. 

I think we'll see Nkunku playing as the striker more often than not, with Palmer behind him in the no.10 role and then Sterling, Mudryk and Madueke rotating on the wings. In the trickier games, I would expect to see Nkunku up front with Palmer and one other out wide and Caicedo, Enzo an Gallagher as a midfield 3. It isn't ideal, but it's better than playing Broja.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Dominic Solanke is a good example of how difficult it is to transition from academy to elite level football as a youngster.    He is now 26 and having played in the Championship and the PL for 5 years or so, only now is he starting to find a rhythm.   Even Tammy had spells with Bristol City, Swansea and Villa before coming back into our senior squad. 

Broja should have went to a Championship team after his stint in Holland.   Even more so after that horrible injury he had.   The question is whether the club want to wait until he's 25 before they start to see the best of him.  

All of this makes Jackson's start to PL life even more impressive IMO. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

A back-up is someone normally on the bench, playing around 30-40% of the minutes for a team.  Not someone that is frozen out or overlooked in favour of inferior players that cost more. The pathway means many things, including using academy players in pre-season, rather than players that don't have a future with the club. It doesn't mean giving academy players minutes if they don't deserve them.

The bold bit, are you still talking about Tammy Abraham? Because what he was was a first choice player, who played himself out of that position having been given a go for 18 months. And is the inferior player Lukaku? Because we'd be arguing about shades of sh*t in a Chelsea shirt at least, but no one reasonable would look at both players and conclude Lukaku is inferior to Abraham. And we'd also have to ignore, again, the reality that Abraham left to be a first XI player. Not someone who was on the bench most games. He didn't leave because he was frozen out, he was frozen out because he was leaving ... And leaving a team that won our last major piece of silverware, I'd confidently (and sadly) predict will be our last for a good many years.

You can't genuinely think that any of the academy players who left because they wanted to play first team senior football would have been satisfied by pre-season football. I find it hard to accept that is even being said in good faith. Listen to or read interviews with players like Guehi and Livramento on why they left. They've been clear it was with no ill feeling and because they wanted immediate first team football at a permanent club. If a "pathway" isn't playing academy players a decent amount, either by picking them over the seniors or not having seniors at all, it's a nothing term made up to beat the club up with. You'll have to be clearer about what a "pathway" is if you're going to claim it is something the club could have offered in the recent past.

We'll have no problem offering one now. Indeed, we'll be known for it. For young players, if not necessarily home grown ones. It's everything else we will have a problem with.

Seen some reports that Galatasaray might end Ziyech's loan and send him back in Jan. He'll then be going to AFCON so possibly another 6 months here in limbo after?

I imagine a number of the loanees will need a  new club  - Andrey Santos for sure, Moreira's loan spot could be better used by someone more promising, Casadei limited to sub appearances, David Fofana not doing great and got suspended. Angelo seems to be the only one doing ok over at Strasbourg

30 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Fabrizio Romano sharing that Thiago Silva has just about had it with the club and intends to leave.

I think we just saw him shaking his head at the end of the last match and is reporting this now 😂

There is pretty much no reason for Silva to leave now when we're still in contention for two domestic cups and in the summer he can leave for free and still get a very good contract.

Having said this I would love him to stay with us for the 2024/2025 - I am sure he still has the legs to do more season.

38 minutes ago, Bones said:

I think we just saw him shaking his head at the end of the last match and is reporting this now 😂

There is pretty much no reason for Silva to leave now when we're still in contention for two domestic cups and in the summer he can leave for free and still get a very good contract.

Having said this I would love him to stay with us for the 2024/2025 - I am sure he still has the legs to do more season.

Do you think the reason his kids came to the Luton away game was because he is about to leave?  (I presume it was his kids he cuddled after the game and after his shouting at the other players - a bit creepy if they weren't).

I don't really like discussing Fabio Romano rumours, there are far too many that go nowhere.

But I actually dislike watching Silva and Gallagher in the current team.  They deserve so much better.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A few ‘rumours’ today linking Maatsen with a loan deal to Dortmund, with an obligation to buy for around 26m. Do it.

I thought we couldnt loan anymore more players? Unless the Zyech rumour is true and we now have an additional slot

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Fabrizio Romano sharing that Thiago Silva has just about had it with the club and intends to leave.

I thought making Crystal Legs James captain over Silva was offensive, and then Silva passed over again for Gallagher who we intend to sell to Spurs.  I’m not really sure how far down the pecking order he is  for skipper (somewhere between  Broja and Mudryk perhaps) but I find it weird and unexplainable. 
I wouldn’t blame him at all if he wants to get out of this mad house. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I thought making Crystal Legs James captain over Silva was offensive, and then Silva passed over again for Gallagher who we intend to sell to Spurs.  I’m not really sure how far down the pecking order he is  for skipper (somewhere between  Broja and Mudryk perhaps) but I find it weird and unexplainable. 
I wouldn’t blame him at all if he wants to get out of this mad house. 

The problem though imo is this. Reecey had to be to be captain really as he’s young, he’s Chelsea etc. No one knew how Silva was going to be, maybe. But Reecey’s injury problems meant it was a gamble - and so it proved. Assuming Poch wants Conor to stay - evidenced by Conor’s playing time - then he was the choice to get the armband (as well as again imo) being a good candidate for it. Just an idea and my view is all. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm...so The Media ....30 million for Maatsen...and 40 for Conor...someone is taking the P.

They just make **** up while sitting at the bar all day supping beer and watching the horse raching.

Edited by boratsbrother

4 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

The problem though imo is this. Reecey had to be to be captain really as he’s young, he’s Chelsea etc. No one knew how Silva was going to be, maybe. But Reecey’s injury problems meant it was a gamble - and so it proved. Assuming Poch wants Conor to stay - evidenced by Conor’s playing time - then he was the choice to get the armband (as well as again imo) being a good candidate for it. Just an idea and my view is all. 

I don’t think Reece had to be captain tbh. Great player when fit , but not a captain imo. Not just because of his injury record but more his personality. Connor a bit more understandable, just ironic we now are selling our skipper to our biggest rivals. 
Silva has vast experience. Can see everything in front of him. With him as skipper for the season or maybe another it would give the coach a chance to see which younger player deserves it. As it is , James is permanently injured, Connor may be off and we have pissed off Silva in the process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don’t think Reece had to be captain tbh. Great player when fit , but not a captain imo. Not just because of his injury record but more his personality. Connor a bit more understandable, just ironic we now are selling our skipper to our biggest rivals. 
Silva has vast experience. Can see everything in front of him. With him as skipper for the season or maybe another it would give the coach a chance to see which younger player deserves it. As it is , James is permanently injured, Connor may be off and we have pissed off Silva in the process. 

I'm not of the opinion that Thiago Silva needed to be captain, he's still quite capable of leading by example without the official title and armband. The other thing with appointing someone like Silva captain, which I'm sure was probably also considered when the decision to replace Azpilicueta was made, is that Thiago Silva is 39 years old and somewhat a ticking time bomb - despite being as good as he is still. He can still lead by example as is, but there was probably more benefit to be had by giving a younger player the role and allowing them to grow into it somewhat. 

That being said, Reece James was never my choice either. I'd have given it to Mount, but with his form falling off a cliff and then everything that happened afterwards, James sort of fell into it by default. Knowing what we do now though, and I've said this earlier in the season, but should Gallagher remain here (and he should, selling him is fucking stupid), he'd be my captain moving forward. He just embodies more of what I like in a leader, but his ability to always be involved is what does it for me. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

I'm not of the opinion that Thiago Silva needed to be captain, he's still quite capable of leading by example without the official title and armband. The other thing with appointing someone like Silva captain, which I'm sure was probably also considered when the decision to replace Azpilicueta was made, is that Thiago Silva is 39 years old and somewhat a ticking time bomb - despite being as good as he is still. He can still lead by example as is, but there was probably more benefit to be had by giving a younger player the role and allowing them to grow into it somewhat. 

That being said, Reece James was never my choice either. I'd have given it to Mount, but with his form falling off a cliff and then everything that happened afterwards, James sort of fell into it by default. Knowing what we do now though, and I've said this earlier in the season, but should Gallagher remain here (and he should, selling him is fucking stupid), he'd be my captain moving forward. He just embodies more of what I like in a leader, but his ability to always be involved is what does it for me. 

I really wouldn’t describe Silva as a ticking time bomb. He doesn’t look on his last legs to me and I would say our best fit defender. I’m sure it will be a graceful bow out rather than an explosion. 
As for Connor, it reminds me a bit of Arsenal going back a few years. As soon as they made someone skipper , they would leave. Talking of which, I’d love a Fabragas in our team now. 

25 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I really wouldn’t describe Silva as a ticking time bomb. He doesn’t look on his last legs to me and I would say our best fit defender. I’m sure it will be a graceful bow out rather than an explosion. 
As for Connor, it reminds me a bit of Arsenal going back a few years. As soon as they made someone skipper , they would leave. Talking of which, I’d love a Fabragas in our team now. 

You know what I mean though, Silva's shelf life is limited and at his age the tide can turn quickly even if he doesn't look out of place at present. I certainly understand why he'd be a candidate for the captaincy, but I also recognise the other side of it and why in an official sense we've put others ahead. 

Yeah, I'm really hoping we hang onto Gallagher at all costs. A Fabregas would be nice, then again so would a Drogba, Terry, Lampard and Ashley Cole. Maybe that's being a little greedy though.

10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I thought making Crystal Legs James captain over Silva was offensive, and then Silva passed over again for Gallagher who we intend to sell to Spurs.  

I thought the reason Silva was passed over for captain was because of the language barrier (only captains are allowed to speak to the ref on the pitch these days) and secondly, to look to the future. But really it’s because the manager thinks the captain should be English to communicate with the refs. That’s why the captains have all been English (James, Chilwell, Gallagher, Colwill). I’m pretty sure Silva knows this.

Edited by Original 21