Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don’t think Reece had to be captain tbh. Great player when fit , but not a captain imo. Not just because of his injury record but more his personality. Connor a bit more understandable, just ironic we now are selling our skipper to our biggest rivals. 
Silva has vast experience. Can see everything in front of him. With him as skipper for the season or maybe another it would give the coach a chance to see which younger player deserves it. As it is , James is permanently injured, Connor may be off and we have pissed off Silva in the process. 

Perhaps. I can’t remember who said Silva wasn’t captain material - Jose?? - as being a leader was different to being captain. I don’t know. End of the day I guess what’s done is done but I do think it was difficult. If only Reecey wasn’t made of tissue paper. 

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Perhaps. I can’t remember who said Silva wasn’t captain material - Jose?? - as being a leader was different to being captain. I don’t know. End of the day I guess what’s done is done but I do think it was difficult. If only Reecey wasn’t made of tissue paper. 

Lewis Dunk would be a good Captain/leader

• Like 1

The real crux of it is that we don't have an obvious captain, for a number of different reasons covered, which comes back to having such a young and inexperienced squad to go to war with.

Gallagher is probably the right captain for now. However, I don't think he is really captain material either, as he continues to make some very silly fouls by thinking he can win the ball from impossible situations, and in positions on the pitch that are just naïve to even attempt those tackles. Not all captains have to be ranting and raving, but Conor also comes across as fairly quiet on the pitch. Though he does lead by example with his work rate and endeavor.

Silva was probably the obvious option, but a 39 year old captain in what is more than likely going to be his last season here, doesn't really make much sense in what was a new era for Chelsea, and with a new manager.

In an ideal world, you want your captain to be a leader on and off the pitch. Someone who has good experience of their position and the game, is of the right age that they are mature and with the ability to influence players and referees........basically everything we don't have, barring Thiago Silva.

Any wonder why we are inconsistent, naïve, and mentally fragile. We could ideally do with 2-3 of these type of players aged between 27-32 through the spine of the team. I have no doubt that we would be about 10pts better off if we had them.

18 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Do you think the reason his kids came to the Luton away game was because he is about to leave?  (I presume it was his kids he cuddled after the game and after his shouting at the other players - a bit creepy if they weren't).

I don't really like discussing Fabio Romano rumours, there are far too many that go nowhere.

But I actually dislike watching Silva and Gallagher in the current team.  They deserve so much better.

They were his kids and they tend to go to a lot of his games.

As has been said before, his elder son signed a 2 year contract with the academy at the beginning of this season which doesn't indicate that TS is going anywhere soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'm not of the opinion that Thiago Silva needed to be captain, he's still quite capable of leading by example without the official title and armband. The other thing with appointing someone like Silva captain, which I'm sure was probably also considered when the decision to replace Azpilicueta was made, is that Thiago Silva is 39 years old and somewhat a ticking time bomb - despite being as good as he is still. He can still lead by example as is, but there was probably more benefit to be had by giving a younger player the role and allowing them to grow into it somewhat. 

I think ticking time-bomb is a realistic way of describing him.  I get a bit annoyed with fans writing off 31 year old players as too old on a whim, but at 39 it is fair enough.  And the club medics will be the people who know best.
As we get older we get slower - and I have the last 35 years of declining running times to prove it.  Mph morphs into Kmh.

47 minutes ago, JaneB said:

They were his kids and they tend to go to a lot of his games.

As has been said before, his elder son signed a 2 year contract with the academy at the beginning of this season which doesn't indicate that TS is going anywhere soon.

Interesting - thanks.

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

We aren't allowed to purchase players from Brighton , you don't like it.

Yes I know

only put it out there because the transfer forum has become who want to be the next Chelsea captain which has sweet FA to do with transfers 

where are all the buy oshimen champions now the transfer window is open?

Edited by ROTG

Saw us linked to this fella in an article yesterday, Ukrainian striker tearing it up a bit for Girona in La Liga:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/artem-dovbyk/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/343537/wettbewerb/ES1/saison/2023

Bit old at 26 for us though, but wasn’t Drogba 26 or 27 when he joined us?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/12/31/chelsea-transfer-news-artem-dovbyk-placed-high-january-wishlist-20045341/

Edited by east lower
Found the article I read and added it for reference

10 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Can we ban any Fabrizio Romano stories unless backed up by another jorno. I accept howerer that eventually his scattergun approach will get one right.

The problem is that many others copy him. It is hard to tell which are the genuine journalists.

Girona are certainly having a heck of a season. Leader of La Liga with Blind at CB, Pablo Torre loaned by Barcelona, Gazzaniga who was the Tottenham backup GK I believe when he Schumacher'd Marcos Alonso against us, and they have one of those random City group players on loan through Troyes. Part of City Football Group. Don't know whether it says more about La Liga's decline or City's multiclub model taking over the footballing world (this would be the first multi-property club to really succeed at such a high level - bought in 2017, something for Strasbourg fans to look forward to maybe).

His stats are good, 11 goals and 5 assists on 10xG, but 7npxG so a few pens in there. 

26 years old with a few unimpressive seasons in Denmark with no gametime, before going back to Ukraine and scoring a lot, then Girona. Typical moneyball buy that paid off for them.

And unsurprisingly, a not so atypical target of current ownership where one good season (at most) of football is enough to earn a move to Chelsea.

I believe he played for Dnipro before signing for Girona this season, meaning he can't play for a 3rd club this season, meaning it's probably a meaningless rumor (would he even still be a target at age 27?). 

1 hour ago, bertles86 said:

He looks rather useful, got another assist last night against Atleti. Plus he's 6'2" which adds much needed height to the squad.

Screenshot_20240104_090002_Brave.jpg

Vlahovic is younger and a lot more miles on the clock  on playing and scoring at the top level of football 

Alternatively - Lukaku who costs nothing and is light years ahead of this fella 

13 hours ago, east lower said:

Saw us linked to this fella in an article yesterday, Ukrainian striker tearing it up a bit for Girona in La Liga:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/artem-dovbyk/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/343537/wettbewerb/ES1/saison/2023

Bit old at 26 for us though, but wasn’t Drogba 26 or 27 when he joined us?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/12/31/chelsea-transfer-news-artem-dovbyk-placed-high-january-wishlist-20045341/

11 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

I thought he was 24 years old.

Drogba was 26 when he joined us. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

No , this bloke can move.

Yawn

Absolute Toilet player (not)

Oh we need a striker who can hit the onion bag - lets spunk another 100m on a player from Serie A

Lukaku

image.png.a6496b4509f9b04f89a0fea363913c57.png

Osimhen

image.png.766c581aa4bb869e87a8aa3a2b46d9f5.png

Like everything else with the club at the moment, rather than build bridges with a new squad and coach they cast him aside, in favour to player destined for Bournemouth last January . 

Rant Over - Time to give one of the flock a good shoeing 😀

Edited by ROTG

33 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Yawn

Absolute Toilet player (not)

Oh we need a striker who can hit the onion bag - lets spunk another 100m on a player from Serie A

Lukaku

image.png.a6496b4509f9b04f89a0fea363913c57.png

Osimhen

image.png.766c581aa4bb869e87a8aa3a2b46d9f5.png

Like everything else with the club at the moment, rather than build bridges with a new squad and coach they cast him aside, in favour to player destined for Bournemouth last January . 

Rant Over - Time to give one of the flock a good shoeing 😀

You forgot one stat that Lukaku is absolute top dog for.

Being a weapons grade bellend 

• Haha 2