Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

17 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Spurs fans seem super happy to have brought Werner!! Prepare yourselves for a little bit of a disappointment Spuds. 

Bought, or leased? He wasn't all that bad with us, was he? Not a striker/top scorer per se, but still

image.png.711deccecf127955be8f640b1f15935a.png

2 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Bought, or leased? He wasn't all that bad with us, was he? Not a striker/top scorer per se, but still

image.png.711deccecf127955be8f640b1f15935a.png

It’s not about what he scored ( which really wasn’t much) ,  it’s about what gilt edge chances he messed up.  He was shocking for us. But long may that continue. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Spurs fans seem super happy to have brought Werner!! Prepare yourselves for a little bit of a disappointment Spuds. 

Much as I loved him, I hope they enjoy his career individual interpretation of the offside law as much as we did. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chelsea_Matt said:

Much as I loved him, I hope they enjoy his career individual interpretation of the offside law as much as we did. 

I’m watching him now and unless I’m somehow mistaken, he looks as if he’s not as quick off the mark as he was.

Could be just lack of match fitness?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, east lower said:

I’m watching him now and unless I’m somehow mistaken, he looks as if he’s not as quick off the mark as he was.

Maybe he has been taking lessons in offside law.
I've never understood our habit of paying for strikers that can run so much faster than our midfielders can think, and then having them start on the offside line, not 2 yards behind it.  As Liverpool taught the world some years back, VAR means offside has changed from "they call 50% of the time, whether you are two yards on or two yards off but no one minds because if they call it you won't find out if you can finish".  Now it is defenders like VVD who are so sure they won't get robbed by the Lino that they push up even further to the point that all a striker has to do is stay on the h/w line.

VAR is making football easier for the likes of Werner, Mudryk and Jackson.  Managers seem to be trying to make it hard for their own players.

1 hour ago, east lower said:

He just had an assist.....

27 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

He just had an assist.....

He used to do that with us…………

24 minutes ago, chrisb said:

And his shot from the first half has just landed in my garden.

He used to that with us………………

58 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Maybe he has been taking lessons in offside law.

Not so sure about that Mr Droy………based on his second-half 😉

On a serious note, the folly of letting a move flow on when there’s been an obvious offside was shown in the Newcastle vs Man City game with the injury to Edison - It’s a law/rule typical of non-professional player based law-makers.

41 minutes ago, east lower said:

On a serious note, the folly of letting a move flow on when there’s been an obvious offside was shown in the Newcastle vs Man City game with the injury to Edison - It’s a law/rule typical of non-professional player based law-makers.

I'm much more bothered about the folly of allowing each half go on for an extra 10 minutes than the 20 secs from an offside.

1 minute ago, Dwmh said:

I'm much more bothered about the folly of allowing each half go on for an extra 10 minutes than the 20 secs from an offside.

You have to remember that “football is for the fans” apparently.

I wonder what the result of a fan poll would be if the authorities put the use of VAR in a Yes or No poll? 

I think the answer is known and there’s too much money being had by a few to let that happen.

Time to get all French on them. Apart from Champagne, it’s the one thing the French do well and that’s make themselves a pain in the derrière to whomsoever is causing them an issue.

1 hour ago, east lower said:

Broja says hi 😉

I’d have to give Broja ( unfortunately) a bit more time to make a fair comparison. Different sorts of players obviously. 

Going back a bit but Jesper Gronkiar ( spelling?)  was in a similar box to Werner ( speedy headless chicken) but cost fec all and got a decent goal now and again. For the money we paid , Werner gave us absolutely nothing over two seasons. 
Spurs actually seem excited about his arrival ! They obviously weren’t paying attention. 

19 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I’d have to give Broja ( unfortunately) a bit more time to make a fair comparison. Different sorts of players obviously. 

Going back a bit but Jesper Gronkiar ( spelling?)  was in a similar box to Werner ( speedy headless chicken) but cost fec all and got a decent goal now and again. For the money we paid , Werner gave us absolutely nothing over two seasons. 
Spurs actually seem excited about his arrival ! They obviously weren’t paying attention. 

Fair enough, but please believe me and save yourself the inevitable disappointment he’s possibly the worst professional footballer I’ve watched in the last 15 years or so at Chelsea.

Chris Sutton was more effective than this fella. 

I can only hope that a club thinks he is the next Solanke, and a late maturer. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, east lower said:

Fair enough, but please believe me and save yourself the inevitable disappointment he’s possibly the worst professional footballer I’ve watched in the last 15 years or so at Chelsea.

Chris Sutton was more effective than this fella. 

I can only hope that a club thinks he is the next Solanke, and a late maturer. 

🤣🤣🤣 I wonder what we saw in him . Somebody must have rubber stamped this buy.

He looks disturbingly like a young Jimmy Hill RIP too ( although I gather Jimmy Hill was a decent player in his day!) 

47 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

He looks disturbingly like a young Jimmy Hill RIP too ( although I gather Jimmy Hill was a decent player in his day!) 

What’s worse is who we actually took him from as a younger man - poxy Spuds!!

He has the magnificent record of 2 goals in 26 ish games for us. That alone was reason enough for it to be pure madness to go into the season with him as a back-up, never mind him coming back from a season-long injury.

Plus his chin is going to mean he’s offside more than Timo!

50 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well NB...I actually saw Jimmy Hill play...one Christmas game at Craven Cottage v Manure...but also Johnny Haynes Tony Macedo and Tosh Chamberlain (the joker in the pack) a great Manure side and the time I became a Denis Law acolyte...(not Manure!)..Fun trivia fact,,,he was also ex Boys Brigade and presented the prizes at a District PT competition which I remember because we won and I accepted the cup!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Gronkjaer cost us like £8m back in 2000 and was the second most expensive signing we made that summer behind JFH. It was a decent chunk of change at the time. Werner cost more but also arrived on the back of two prolific seasons and arguably one of the most dangerous forwards in the Bundesliga. Neither panned out of course, but I think it's harsh to say "Werner gave us absolutely nothing". We always looked a better side when he played despite his struggles in front of goal. We also didn't lose a Champions League game in which he played IIRC.

While none of us like Spurs, I do have a soft spot for Werner personally and wouldn't mind seeing him do well on the provision Spurs drop points.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Gronkjaer cost us like £8m back in 2000 and was the second most expensive signing we made that summer behind JFH. It was a decent chunk of change at the time. Werner cost more but also arrived on the back of two prolific seasons and arguably one of the most dangerous forwards in the Bundesliga. Neither panned out of course, but I think it's harsh to say "Werner gave us absolutely nothing". We always looked a better side when he played despite his struggles in front of goal. We also didn't lose a Champions League game in which he played IIRC.

While none of us like Spurs, I do have a soft spot for Werner personally and wouldn't mind seeing him do well on the provision Spurs drop points.

Agreed. No issue with him scoring in losing games. 

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, east lower said:

He has the magnificent record of 2 goals in 26 ish games for us. That alone was reason enough for it to be pure madness to go into the season with him as a back-up, never mind him coming back from a season-long injury.

Broja?  I make it 3 goals in all in 10 starts in all comps.
or 2 in 8 for the prem.

9 in 24 for Southampton as a 20 yo

Not brilliant for a striker but not a laughing matter.

[A lot of his subs were for small minutes and he has never completed the 90 for us]

33 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Broja?  I make it 3 goals in all in 10 starts in all comps.
or 2 in 8 for the prem.

9 in 24 for Southampton as a 20 yo

Not brilliant for a striker but not a laughing matter.

[A lot of his subs were for small minutes and he has never completed the 90 for us]

Goals aren't everything that needs to be considered though.

He wasn't good enough even when at Southampton and I said as much then, his overall game looked years behind where it needed to be and unless a massive uptick in development was to happen he was unlikely to ever be good enough for what we need. After injury he looks worse, so that's made the job much tougher for him to be good enough. 

Still think we should've take the £30m or so that was being floated about after he returned from loan, but it is what it is. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Totally agree broski. I always felt the opposition were genuinely wary of Timo. Despite his faults I wished we’d kept him, because £90m on Mudryk…🙃😬🙈

38 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Totally agree broski. I always felt the opposition were genuinely wary of Timo. Despite his faults I wished we’d kept him, because £90m on Mudryk…🙃😬🙈

Thankfully we didn't spend £90m on Mudryk either then. 😄

Others might not see it or agree, but I do think Mudryk will go on to have a decent impact for us down the line. 

• Agree 1