Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

19 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

No thanks.

He ain't what he used to be, gotta look beyond the romanticism of it all.

I think he still has that cachet that impressionable young players would buy into .

Not saying we should do it but I have no time for Poch so...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he still has that cachet that impressionable young players would buy into .

Not saying we should do it but I have no time for Poch so...

Maybe, but it's not worth all the extra baggage he brings with. 

He's not really improved any of the young players he's had at Roma either, with his football also being some of the worst in Europe. 

There's be a genuine possibility he'd end up doing more harm than good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Maybe, but it's not worth all the extra baggage he brings with. 

He's not really improved any of the young players he's had at Roma either, with his football also being some of the worst in Europe. 

There's be a genuine possibility he'd end up doing more harm than good.

And Roma sold more tickets for games/per game in the years he was there than in the 10 years prior to his arrival - so he did something right!

As opposed to the diminishing return recently experienced at Stamford Bridge.

People may not agree with his methods or his behaviour - who else has actually wanted to call Anthony Taylor a f***ing disgrace to his face? At least Jose had the balls to do it and not hide. Most managers and coaches will have done exactly the same to various referees but in tunnels/offices. 

Some of the stuff he does needs to be condemned, but he wins things and you know you’re getting someone who will try his utmost, until he sees that he’s not getting the utmost from those at the side and/or above him.

I'd have Jose back tomorrow and would do everything to get him. Bring back Steve Holland,  Frank, Ashley Cole and Cech. JT if he was interested and ideally Didier and Hazard. Also keep Thiago on in some capacity.

We need a complete reset, rip everything up and start again. We need more than just a manager, we need someone who knows how to build something and he's perfect for it. We also need someone to do a Ferguson/Pep/Klopp and pretty much run the footballing side of things. There aren't many about that are capable and he's by far and away the best manager we are likely to be able to attract for some time now.

Where we are right now,  the mess we are in there is not a more perfect man for the job.

Won't be long until the fans start demanding it. Can imagine the chorus of his name being sung at the ground in the not too distant future.

One thing is for absolute certain. It couldn't be any worse than it has been the last two years.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, east lower said:

And Roma sold more tickets for games/per game in the years he was there than in the 10 years prior to his arrival - so he did something right!

As opposed to the diminishing return recently experienced at Stamford Bridge.

People may not agree with his methods or his behaviour - who else has actually wanted to call Anthony Taylor a f***ing disgrace to his face? At least Jose had the balls to do it and not hide. Most managers and coaches will have done exactly the same to various referees but in tunnels/offices. 

Some of the stuff he does needs to be condemned, but he wins things and you know you’re getting someone who will try his utmost, until he sees that he’s not getting the utmost from those at the side and/or above him.

Yeah, but that would've also likely have happened under any manager that managed to give the club any amount of success - it just so happened to be Mourinho. 

The bigger focus has to be on what he adds as a manager and coach, and as much as we all might like him for what he's done here in years gone by he's not that same manager anymore either. He's no longer innovative and is arguably the complete opposite of being stuck in his ways of old. That doesn't really work well in the modern game with the generation of players now had.

His football is heinously bad (and I cannot stress this enough), he's far too volatile (picked up 5 red cards during his time at Roma), and developing young players isn't really his forte. Beyond the romanticism of a return there isn't a whole lot that he brings to the table that would truly benefit us in our current environment. He won less than 50% of his games at Roma (49.28%) - the lowest of his career. 

The truth is Mourinho didn't really do a whole lot better than Fonseca before him. Sure, Jose won the Conference League but he also purposely tanked the league in the process to achieve it. Fonseca had the better win percentage, and Roma have probably the 4th best squad in Serie A right now and sit 9th. Sure, he's had injury issues to contend with by they're still under-performing by some margin. 

All in all there's just not enough upside to be had to take such a risk, a risk that if sours has the genuine possibility to inflict more damage and set us further back. 

I appreciate what he's done for the club in the past, but having also watched plenty of him the last couple of years since returning to Serie A he's a massive no-go for me. 

8 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Yeah, but that would've also likely have happened under any manager that managed to give the club any amount of success - it just so happened to be Mourinho. 

Coincidence?

8 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The bigger focus has to be on what he adds as a manager and coach, and as much as we all might like him for what he's done here in years gone by he's not that same manager anymore either. He's no longer innovative and is arguably the complete opposite of being stuck in his ways of old. That doesn't really work well in the modern game with the generation of players now had.

This one of those "it isn't the points that matter or the trophies, it is the alignment of the philosophy with xceleryx's ideas that matters" posts?

5 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Coincidence?

More a matter of how irrelevant Roma have been since the early 2000's that any manager that managed to provide any hint of success would be lauded. 

7 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

This one of those "it isn't the points that matter or the trophies, it is the alignment of the philosophy with xceleryx's ideas that matters" posts?

Or, and hear me out here, he's not the profile of manager that we're in need of. 

I'm sure you'll conjure up some sort of conspiracy theory nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

On the FFP concerns - I don't agree with it, but it seems like the club belives that by selling Maatsen and Hall in the summer for £60M+ they should be able to cover the increased amortisation resulting from a couple of big signings. Selling those two and keeping Cucurella is crazy, but selling Gallagher at this stage would be lunacy.

44 minutes ago, jasonb said:

We are allegedly making enquiries about Viktor Gokeres of Sporting and Sweden.

Sporting not interested at £73m.

This has was doing the rounds a week or so ago, but dismissed yesterday by Nizaar and Fabrizio (and possibly others, those were just the two I initially saw). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

On the FFP concerns - I don't agree with it, but it seems like the club belives that by selling Maatsen and Hall in the summer for £60M+ they should be able to cover the increased amortisation resulting from a couple of big signings. Selling those two and keeping Cucurella is crazy, but selling Gallagher at this stage would be lunacy.

Needs must. Who is going to take Cucurella off our hands on the wages he's on? 

Maatsen, Hall, Chalobah, Broja........sell all 4 of those and that is a decent whack towards one year's amortisation of the recent signings 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For a relatively small transfer for a couple of seasons, surely Henderson is a no brainer.

I accept on paper we have better and younger players in his position, but we massively lack leadership and players who really know and understand their position . Whilst I would never really want many ex Liverpool players here at the club, needs must on some occasions. This type of experience and leadership is exactly what we lack, he is also a very good footballer.

For what this deal would cost and what his impact would be, I really think we should be looking to secure this deal. 

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

For a relatively small transfer for a couple of seasons, surely Henderson is a no brainer.

I accept on paper we have better and younger players in his position, but we massively lack leadership and players who really know and understand their position . Whilst I would never really want many ex Liverpool players here at the club, needs must on some occasions. This type of experience and leadership is exactly what we lack, he is also a very good footballer.

For what this deal would cost and what his impact would be, I really think we should be looking to secure this deal. 

He's off to Ajax apparently 

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah so I just heard. I think this is a low risk deal, the kinda deal we should be pursuing to improve this season and next , rather than looking 4-5 seasons ahead all the time . Maybe he don’t fancy return to England right now, after all the rainbow  virtue signalling etc. Personally, I just care about improving Chelsea right now, so would take him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I thought Hall was unavoidable on the terms of the option/delayed sale.
I think Maatsen and certainly Gallagher are both due a contract renewal.  In that situation both Agent and club want to appear hard headed business men - ie a price we won't go beyond.  So I am not going to worry about rumours.

36 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I am pleased.

14 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I'd have Jose back tomorrow and would do everything to get him. Bring back Steve Holland,  Frank, Ashley Cole and Cech. JT if he was interested and ideally Didier and Hazard. Also keep Thiago on in some capacity.

We need these legends in as coaches not just for their skillsets and acumen, but also to re-establish the tie between the Roman Era and the Todd Era.

12 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I wouldn't be keen on Jose coming back and think even he at his peak would be a bad fit for what we are. He turned nearly men into winners, not nowhere men into something vaguely resembling a football team. 

But this quoted bit is one of the funniest, most arse over elbow bits I've ever seen here. Mourinho being at a club and that club winning a trophy, even to his most ardent critic the relationship between these two things should be blindingly clear.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1