Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

15 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I wouldn't be keen on Jose coming back and think even he at his peak would be a bad fit for what we are. He turned nearly men into winners, not nowhere men into something vaguely resembling a football team. 

But this quoted bit is one of the funniest, most arse over elbow bits I've ever seen here. Mourinho being at a club and that club winning a trophy, even to his most ardent critic the relationship between these two things should be blindingly clear.

yup.  Man U for example.  Everyone wants  to say how badly he did there,   but....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

For a relatively small transfer for a couple of seasons, surely Henderson is a no brainer.

In the words of Mark Corrigan, it is a brainer.

I think he is finished at the top level, hence he is heading to a poor league, rather than back to the PL

33 minutes ago, Bison said:

Get Kante back for the rest of the season.

We need another player to keep the medical team busy. 

The 7 games he appeared in last season were invaluable. 

31 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Rumour is that Pochettino put his foot down over Gallagher being sold so Maatsen, Chalobah and Broja are being sold instead.

IMG_8376.jpeg

Sounds fair enough. If Broja goes and we get a loan in (Benzema or Mitrovic) until the summer that makes sense

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think he is finished at the top level, hence he is heading to a poor league, rather than back to the PL

Sounds fair enough. If Broja goes and we get a loan in (Benzema or Mitrovic) until the summer that makes sense

I’d pay someone to take Broja. Imo he’s hopelessly limited. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/01/2024 at 23:40, chara said:

Well NB...I actually saw Jimmy Hill play...one Christmas game at Craven Cottage v Manure...but also Johnny Haynes Tony Macedo and Tosh Chamberlain (the joker in the pack) a great Manure side and the time I became a Denis Law acolyte...(not Manure!)..Fun trivia fact,,,he was also ex Boys Brigade and presented the prizes at a District PT competition which I remember because we won and I accepted the cup!

Another of your hidden Gems. You are a Time Machine Chara. Were you alive in the 1800s ?

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

No evidence based on this to be fair Paul. He was still very good for Liverpool last season. 
We all know the reasons why he went to Saudi, the same reasons any footballer has headed out there. 
Ajax might be the only offer on the table right now, and he appears keen to get out of the situation he put himself in with Saudi.

I find it hard to believe he has declined significantly, over  the course of an easy 3-4 months ( playing standard wise ) in Saudi. If anything , he is probably as fresh as a daisy after having an easy few months on the sun. 

He would make a big difference to us right now. He is a leader , a presence , a voice , a standard setter. Everything we are lacking across many areas of the pitch. 

2 years back we wouldn’t really entertain signing him, cos we had plenty of what he brings . We don’t now though . 

Edited by Thiago97

On 14/01/2024 at 23:49, xceleryx said:

Gronkjaer cost us like £8m back in 2000 and was the second most expensive signing we made that summer behind JFH. It was a decent chunk of change at the time. Werner cost more but also arrived on the back of two prolific seasons and arguably one of the most dangerous forwards in the Bundesliga. Neither panned out of course, but I think it's harsh to say "Werner gave us absolutely nothing". We always looked a better side when he played despite his struggles in front of goal. We also didn't lose a Champions League game in which he played IIRC.

While none of us like Spurs, I do have a soft spot for Werner personally and wouldn't mind seeing him do well on the provision Spurs drop points.

I suppose 8mill was a lot in 2000 but I dare say it was not money down the drain.

We expected great things of Werner but how he got those goals in previous season is a total mystery. I rooted for him , and Havertz and Zyech . What are the chances than none came close to expectations.  Awful in fact. 
No idea how he’s done since he left us , but I will be amazed if Spurs get a tune out of him ( or a goal in 5). 

34 minutes ago, Ham said:

Also winning the CL with an unfancied Inter 🤔

Also getting Spurs to a cup final too, he would have probably lost it, but now he has a perfect excuse that he was not allowed to play it 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

7 Kante games might get us a cup win and a top half finish. Also, he's a real Chelsea legend that deserves a proper send off.

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Another of your hidden Gems. You are a Time Machine Chara. Were you alive in the 1800s ?

Dec 26th 1860..Sheffield Fc v Hallam FC as I recall...... I were just a lad of course....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Broja rumours picking up…

IMG_8377.jpeg

The next source quoted £50m and the one after that, £50-60m, all in the space of a few hours. 

If we wait until the morning to sell him, we'll be completely clear on FFP. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Clue. He has a sonic screwdriver …..

9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I wouldn't be keen on Jose coming back and think even he at his peak would be a bad fit for what we are. He turned nearly men into winners, not nowhere men into something vaguely resembling a football team. 

But this quoted bit is one of the funniest, most arse over elbow bits I've ever seen here. Mourinho being at a club and that club winning a trophy, even to his most ardent critic the relationship between these two things should be blindingly clear.

What I said, which you quoted, was more addressing that Roma's increase in ticket sales wasn't necessarily down to purely Mourinho himself being there. It was of course because he won a trophy, even if it was a minor European one. The same reaction, with respect to the increase in ticket sales and alike, would've happened had another manager been the one who had finally brought some success to the club. 

Wasn't dismissing Mourinho's knack of winning trophies or anything in between. 

55 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Clue. He has a sonic screwdriver …..

🤣 He’s got some gizmo or magic potion  going on! We are lucky to have “old” Chara  on this forum with his  real life,  first hand  tales of those bygone days. And his memory is as sharp as a tack! It always amuses me when my Dad tells a story about how he was ran over by a horse drawn milk cart and miraculously survived….now that really is something I can’t get my head round! 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

🤣 He’s got some gizmo or magic potion  going on! We are lucky to have “old” Chara  on this forum with his  real life,  first hand  tales of those bygone days. And his memory is as sharp as a tack! It always amuses me when my Dad tells a story about how he was ran over by a horse drawn milk cart and miraculously survived….now that really is something I can’t get my head round! 

Hmm...my Mum sprained her ankle running out to compete with the neighbours for the milk cart horse "droppings"...for manure..I kid you not!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, xceleryx said:

What I said, which you quoted, was more addressing that Roma's increase in ticket sales wasn't necessarily down to purely Mourinho himself being there. It was of course because he won a trophy, even if it was a minor European one. The same reaction, with respect to the increase in ticket sales and alike, would've happened had another manager been the one who had finally brought some success to the club. 

Wasn't dismissing Mourinho's knack of winning trophies or anything in between. 

You can't see how the first emboldened bit is you exactly  doing what you say you weren't in the second one?

Not just any other manager goes to Roma and wins a trophy of any prestige at the earliest opportunity. Sure, ticket sales go up if a hypothetical different manager goes there and wins a trophy. But in reality, history shows there aren't many who do that.

We're agreed he'd be a car crash here.

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

You can't see how the first emboldened bit is you exactly  doing what you say you weren't in the second one?

Not just any other manager goes to Roma and wins a trophy of any prestige at the earliest opportunity. Sure, ticket sales go up if a hypothetical different manager goes there and wins a trophy. But in reality, history shows there aren't many who do that.

We're agreed he'd be a car crash here.

No, I understand how it reads it's just the cumbersome nature of how I explained it. 

Obviously it was Mourinho that did it, and there's credit he deserves for that, even if he did tank the league on purpose to protect that record a little - something Roma fans acknowledge. 

But yeah, bottom line is that he isn't the man for us or the job on hand here. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

But yeah, bottom line is that he isn't the man for us or the job on hand here. 

Absolutely - I doubt mid table management would ever be a consideration for him

19 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’d pay someone to take Broja. Imo he’s hopelessly limited. 

Its incredible, we had a knack of getting top strikers that others feared now we have a knack of getting mediocrity

• Agree 1