Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

34 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Why not?   He has 14 goals and 2 assists so far this season, and his rumoured buy option is like £30m.

They’d be pretty mad not to for that value but regardless, it wouldn’t stop us signing a striker anyway. 

I don’t think they have enough money. Isn’t he off to Saudi next anyway?

Edited by Max Fowler

9 hours ago, ROTG said:

More likely the bean counters are check how the accounts lie with the PL new rules on club spending etc. 

You would also suspect no players coming in means bye bye in the summer for Mr Jellyfish. 

Sorry but I've seen this a few times from you.  

Who is Mr Jellyfish?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Pochettino I expect as he's spineless , like said Jellyfish 

Correcto

there was a time a couple of months ago after a couple of press conferences, when I thought Poch was going down the back me or sack me approach with players / transfers, however it would seem after speaking with those who pay him his weekly wage, he's gone back to a spineless company man.

No point in getting rid of players unless we have cover or it is self-defeating.

I suspect we are looking at striker options and the cost will then be taken into account on who we let go to 'balance the books'.

If say £100m on a striker then would suspect Broja would go for £40m+ and maybe Gallagher for £45m+.

Don't see Disasi going before the summer if at all.

Later in the summer would expect more movement both in and out, though mainly out,

7 minutes ago, jasonb said:

No point in getting rid of players unless we have cover or it is self-defeating.

We have 20 over 21 players in the squad, 5 short of the max.   4 are keepers, 2 are Nkunku and Fofana.  Most or the rest are 21-23 and one is 39.
Ignoring age and current injuries we are 4 outfield players short for 3 comps (5 for Europe).

9 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Don't see Disasi going before the summer if at all.

Later in the summer would expect more movement both in and out, though mainly out,

Lets imagine we have the same manager in September as we have in April.  For the sake of the argument call him Poch.
The one big advantage an incumbent manager has it that he can confidently assess the abilities of his existing players.
Poch knows that Disasi for example can play a hybrid FB 3rd CB but can't play WB at all.  He knows the impact of Gallagher in the team.  Watching on TV many would underestimate that (or perhaps over estimate it - we don't know).

There might be a lot of movement amongst the U21 players, but for those who have played 15+ games for us, the coach's knowledge makes trading them a costly business.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dwmh said:

We have 20 over 21 players in the squad, 5 short of the max.   4 are keepers, 2 are Nkunku and Fofana.  Most or the rest are 21-23 and one is 39.
Ignoring age and current injuries we are 4 outfield players short for 3 comps (5 for Europe).

Lets imagine we have the same manager in September as we have in April.  For the sake of the argument call him Poch.
The one big advantage an incumbent manager has it that he can confidently assess the abilities of his existing players.
Poch knows that Disasi for example can play a hybrid FB 3rd CB but can't play WB at all.  He knows the impact of Gallagher in the team.  Watching on TV many would underestimate that (or perhaps over estimate it - we don't know).

There might be a lot of movement amongst the U21 players, but for those who have played 15+ games for us, the coach's knowledge makes trading them a costly business.

It's a shame he hasn't worked out Colwill can't either if you ask me 

The first highlighted point is why all those other players are currently playing at other "big clubs" after Lampard and Potter assessed them and (Frank for certain I'm sure) found them wanting. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The first highlighted point is why all those other players are currently playing at other "big clubs" after Lampard and Potter assessed them and (Frank for certain I'm sure) found them wanting. 

Colwill, yes, or perhaps it is a shame he hasn't worked out that Maatsen can play LB.  

Players gone - Yes, and they ran. 

image.thumb.png.97fd9eb8a5fb5fad951b751358b49b51.png

13 senior players went in one summer (ignoring the ones previously on loan).

7 would be a manager owner lead clearout.
13 suggests there was much more wrong.

And I don't think they were crap so they were kicked out.
Rather the reasons for them playing crap are the same as the reasons they ran even if we don't know them yet.

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

after Lampard and Potter assessed them and (Frank for certain I'm sure) found them wanting. 

I'm guessing Frank can be really dismissive of players he doesn't like.  Wonderful player and the man in the dressing room for 13 years.  Obviously I'm guessing, i don't know.  But he didn't seem to appreciate Rudiger at the time when we could have extended his contract without matching RM wages.  And while everyone blamed Kepa for losing confidence, the manager always has a role in how that is handled.  The senior players must have been shocked to see him come back (Imagine if Frank had directly replaced TT!)

Of course there are three different valuations going on, the clubs, the player/agent's self valuation and that of potential buyers.
So a new TB/Clearlake valuation system might both create a management lead partial clearout, and a furious rush to the exit by the players.   It would also result in a big mismatch between CFC valuations and that of Serie A, La Liga and other PL clubs.

So it could be the new contract model that upset the ship already.  My spidey senses hint at something more, but no idea what.  The Mount/Chilwell/Gilmour issues don't seem big enough unless there was more scale to it than reported.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I don’t think they have enough money. Isn’t he off to Saudi next anyway?

They absolutely do not have enough money. Another caveat is that Italian clubs no longer get a particular tax break this year. A tax break they benefited from for some time. A problem of course as this also will have a great impact on paying salaries. 

I would not be surprised if Napoli took this into account when restructuring Osimhen’s new contract. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Umm

Comparisons of the coaching and personnel abilities of Mr jellyfish vs a nobody coach vs SFL.  Sums up nicely where the club is 

Edited by ROTG

59 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Colwill, yes, or perhaps it is a shame he hasn't worked out that Maatsen can play LB.  

Players gone - Yes, and they ran. 

image.thumb.png.97fd9eb8a5fb5fad951b751358b49b51.png

13 senior players went in one summer (ignoring the ones previously on loan).

7 would be a manager owner lead clearout.
13 suggests there was much more wrong.

And I don't think they were crap so they were kicked out.
Rather the reasons for them playing crap are the same as the reasons they ran even if we don't know them yet.

I'm guessing Frank can be really dismissive of players he doesn't like.  Wonderful player and the man in the dressing room for 13 years.  Obviously I'm guessing, i don't know.  But he didn't seem to appreciate Rudiger at the time when we could have extended his contract without matching RM wages.  And while everyone blamed Kepa for losing confidence, the manager always has a role in how that is handled.  The senior players must have been shocked to see him come back (Imagine if Frank had directly replaced TT!)

Of course there are three different valuations going on, the clubs, the player/agent's self valuation and that of potential buyers.
So a new TB/Clearlake valuation system might both create a management lead partial clearout, and a furious rush to the exit by the players.   It would also result in a big mismatch between CFC valuations and that of Serie A, La Liga and other PL clubs.

So it could be the new contract model that upset the ship already.  My spidey senses hint at something more, but no idea what.  The Mount/Chilwell/Gilmour issues don't seem big enough unless there was more scale to it than reported.

Of that list of 18, there was widespread grumbling about one player leaving and selected pockets of grumbling about another 3. 

Personally, I thought Kova and Mount should have stayed. And the sentimentalist in me misses RLC. The rest were thanks for your service and a job well done (Azpi, Kante etc), right football decision for both parties (Ampadu, Pulisic etc) or glad to see the back of (at least 8 others). I dont see a great conspiracy leading to an imagined run for the hills. We had a bad year with bad managers and bad decisions and it was going to take a while to put right. New owners, new ideas, new players. That is all. I actually only felt strongly about one of those 18 decisions. And he eventually turned out to be a lifelong Portsmouth, Chelsea, Man Utd fan, once he had made his mind up.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

erm...Lavia and Lesley cover?

Funny one. I wonder if it is partly due to the number of players we can have on loan. 

maybe there are more serious concerns about the fitness of Lavia and or Ugochukwu

Maybe a replacement for Gallagher??? 

Just now, Miguelito07 said:

I think so too. 

Dont think its a Gallagher replacement

No, the more I think about it, with Lavia and Big Les injured, we only have 3 proper CM players, and they all play!

If one of Caicedo, Enzo or Gallagher is unavailable, we would have to play with a Palmer or Nkunku as a 10, which may not be preferable against the stronger sides.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Of that list of 18, there was widespread grumbling about one player leaving and selected pockets of grumbling about another 3. 

Personally, I thought Kova and Mount should have stayed. And the sentimentalist in me misses RLC. The rest were thanks for your service and a job well done (Azpi, Kante etc), right football decision for both parties (Ampadu, Pulisic etc) or glad to see the back of (at least 8 others). I dont see a great conspiracy leading to an imagined run for the hills. We had a bad year with bad managers and bad decisions and it was going to take a while to put right. New owners, new ideas, new players. That is all. I actually only felt strongly about one of those 18 decisions. And he eventually turned out to be a lifelong Portsmouth, Chelsea, Man Utd fan, once he had made his mind up.

I called it 13 because a few were loan extensions or players that weren't available last year.
But 13 it is.  The idea that a club can just deduct the over 21 roster by 13 and move on is crazy to me.  I find it really hard to believe the board removed 13 players deliberately.  7 or 8 (which would still have been too many) is quite feasible for this lot.  But 13?  Everyone but Silva, James, Chilwell from the 21/22 squad (and we all know why they couldn't move).

I don't think we have ever seen any club with such an evacuation.

32 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I called it 13 because a few were loan extensions or players that weren't available last year.
But 13 it is.  The idea that a club can just deduct the over 21 roster by 13 and move on is crazy to me.  I find it really hard to believe the board removed 13 players deliberately.  7 or 8 (which would still have been too many) is quite feasible for this lot.  But 13?  Everyone but Silva, James, Chilwell from the 21/22 squad (and we all know why they couldn't move).

I don't think we have ever seen any club with such an evacuation.

Point taken, it was a huge exodus, but Im struggling to find more than 2 or 3 that would have made any tangible difference to us this season and one moved because of money and the other moved because of City. And the 3rd is the enigma that is Havertz!! Still maybe that's all we would have needed for top 4/5/6. We would have been £168.3m worse off though...

2 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Point taken, it was a huge exodus, but Im struggling to find more than 2 or 3 that would have made any tangible difference to us this season and one moved because of money and the other moved because of City. And the 3rd is the enigma that is Havertz!! Still maybe that's all we would have needed for top 4/5/6. We would have been £168.3m worse off though...

I'm not going to argue over individuals it is just the bulk that matters.  
For me it is like replacing half the parts in your car and expecting it to run first time.
Or like Triggers Brrom.  Is this even CFC any more, just the shirts (but not logos) remain.

The point is I can't believe it was all deliberate.  Half of it, not all.  It got out of control, and the best explanation is that someone shouted Fire in the cinema.

7 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

For me it is like replacing half the parts in your car and expecting it to run first time.
Or like Triggers Brrom.  Is this even CFC any more, just the shirts (but not logos) remain.

The point is I can't believe it was all deliberate.  Half of it, not all.  It got out of control, and the best explanation is that someone shouted Fire in the cinema.

Well they did say at the time that they wouldn't be where they want to be until after four transfer windows if I recall. 

I think it was entirely one hundred percent deliberate I'm absolutely convinced. 

12 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Surely Droy it's the individuals not the bulk? By your argument the number of players that left should have been reduced by a figure not taking into account such factors as their form, age, inclination or injury record?

Azpi left for totally different reasons than Mount....just saying. 

• Agree 1