Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

On 11/05/2023 at 09:57, Bison said:

Kovacic and Jorginho gone in the space of 6 months. Fantastic news.

Kepa next. 🤞

Only RLC, Ziyech,Havertz,Cucurella,Aubameyang and the literal elephant in the room..Lukaku to go.

Did I miss someone?

Edited by kev61

10 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe you'd like to explain why you think that's a good idea? Or, who better would replace him. Or, while we're at it, at what cost.

Just a thought.

Yep.I don't think Kepa is the best in the world,but I think he is by far not the biggest problem we have.

In fact I think he has been fairly decent lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Yep.I don't think Kepa is the best in the world,but I think he is by far not the biggest problem we have.

In fact I think he has been fairly decent lately.

Totally agree.

Some people just want a target to shoot at. Doesn't really matter who it is.

17 hours ago, Ham said:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't want to have a look at him in pre-season at least. 

Seems a pointless endeavour though with a year left on his contract. Taking a look at him in pre-season virtually means having to extend his contract, I just can't see why either party would want to do that. 

16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

All fair points!

However. I think the club  needs to give full support to the next manager and have confidence in his opinions/choices on who he wants to go forward with. More support and confidence in the scouts too and less reliance on this data nonsense. 

I agree with the general idea, but it's not a rule you can apply to all either.

In Pulisic's case his contract situation doesn't really allow for this to be a possibility. We're in a position where it's either sell in the summer, extend his contract (w/ a massive wage cut), or we let him play out the final year of his deal and watch him leave for nothing. We're not in the position to latter, the middle option seems highly unlikely, which by default makes the first option the most logical of the lot. 

50 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Totally agree.

Some people just want a target to shoot at. Doesn't really matter who it is.

I think at least 50% of people are led by what other people think.

It's a scary  figure and no wonder the uk is in a mess.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I think that there's been literally no whispers about a new Pulisic contract with it up next summer tells us everything we need to know.

I saw an article saying Poch wants to work with him.

Placed by Pulisic's agent I expect.

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe you'd like to explain why you think that's a good idea? Or, who better would replace him. Or, while we're at it, at what cost.

Just a thought.

We found Mendy at 30% of the Kepa cost and he’s quite obviously the better keeper. Why he hasn’t played more this season is due to his Co tract demands and that he’s been injured. 

Considering what a unknown Mendy was when we bought him, it ought to be quite easy for a club like Chelsea to find a replacement at a considerably lower cost than £70m who’s a lot better than Kepa. 

11 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We found Mendy at 30% of the Kepa cost and he’s quite obviously the better keeper. Why he hasn’t played more this season is due to his Co tract demands and that he’s been injured. 

Considering what a unknown Mendy was when we bought him, it ought to be quite easy for a club like Chelsea to find a replacement at a considerably lower cost than £70m who’s a lot better than Kepa. 

'Quite Obviously' in your opinion.

As is 'his contract demands', which neither you or I know anything about. Don't let stop you though.

The rest is even more nonsense.

I'll leave it at that.

41 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He's also been absolute cack since returning from the ACON. His cause hasn't been helped by being utterly useless at ground level either, where he made several high profile mistakes and became a liability for a side that wishes to play out from the back. 

No good saving shots when you've also got two left feet and instil zero confidence to be used as an outlet when put under pressure. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

You were saying... ?

Huge (and not untypical)  mistake from Mendy gifts Forrest a goal

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

'Quite Obviously' in your opinion.

As is 'his contract demands', which neither you or I know anything about. Don't let stop you though.

The rest is even more nonsense.

I'll leave it at that.

If you add up Kepas full time here with us his stats speaks for themselves. That he’s seen as a reasonable choice for a team finishing between 11-14th in the PL says it all. He has finally found his level where he can be seen as just as good (or bad) as the rest of the team. Unfortunately he has realised this with us. 

Are you really supposed to dismiss other peoples opinion as nonsense? It’s hardly a contentious viewpoint that Mendy is the better keeper. At best you can maybe argue they are equally bad. One cost £70m. The other £20m. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He's also been absolute cack since returning from the ACON. His cause hasn't been helped by being utterly useless at ground level either, where he made several high profile mistakes and became a liability for a side that wishes to play out from the back. 

No good saving shots when you've also got two left feet and instil zero confidence to be used as an outlet when put under pressure. 

Yes, I’m not arguing against your viewpoint that he’s been shit for a while. It is still quite a lot less time compared to Kepa. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

You were saying... ?

Huge (and not untypical)  mistake from Mendy gifts Forrest a goal

He’s hardly played all season, timing is bound to be off. Kepa does that routinely - he has no ability to command his area. We’ve seen that over his four seasons here. We’ve also seen that Mendy can do just that. So I’ll put that down to severe lack of match practice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If you add up Kepas full time here with us his stats speaks for themselves. That he’s seen as a reasonable choice for a team finishing between 11-14th in the PL says it all. He has finally found his level where he can be seen as just as good (or bad) as the rest of the team. Unfortunately he has realised this with us. 

Are you really supposed to dismiss other peoples opinion as nonsense? It’s hardly a contentious viewpoint that Mendy is the better keeper. At best you can maybe argue they are equally bad. One cost £70m. The other £20m. 

Yes, I’m not arguing against your viewpoint that he’s been shit for a while. It is still quite a lot less time compared to Kepa. 

He’s hardly played all season, timing is bound to be off. Kepa does that routinely - he has no ability to command his area. We’ve seen that over his four seasons here. We’ve also seen that Mendy can do just that. So I’ll put that down to severe lack of match practice. 

I think you guys may be arguing at cross-purposes: neither keeper is good enough for Chelsea. They both have extreme weaknesses. In Kepa's case he just isn't tall enough for a modern keeper and doesn't have the instincts or skills to overcome his inadequacy. Mendy can be a good shot stopper, but is prone to ridiculous errors, is nowhere near as good as he should be under a high ball and is extremely ropey with the ball at his feet. There are probably 10 - 15 better keepers than these 2 in the Premier League alone.

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Bison said:

No surprise to see Kepa apologists jump on a Mendy mistake. The same people who makes excuses for Kepa every single week. Hilarious.

With due respect jumping ,,an unfortunate word for here....on a Mendy mistake is not quite the same as being a Kepa apologist...... Mendy made an embarrassing mistake which can be attributed to many reasons none of which relates to Kepa's form/ability.

I recall few, if any, actual apologists for Kepa but some views pointing out that Kepa is not first in line for blame regarding the appalling display that has been this season,

The Chelsea -0 part of the result list is slightly more relevant.

The surprise today and the last game was Chelsea scoring 3 and 2 goals...more of that and the less than acceptable standard of both keepers would not be such a factor....

I'm afraid mate your Kepa fixation is far too exposed with such posts....not that there is no reason for your views..quite the opposite but spread the blame fairly.

Not my favourite or even close Chelsea keeper for sure but..........

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It has been, yes. The key though is that in the time when both have been at the club together, Mendy held his place in the side while he performed and Kepa struggled. Now the tables have turned and its Mendy who's been MIA for a sold 12 months now, with Kepa enjoying a bit of a resurgence. 

Neither keeper are ideal first choice option in a perfect world, but we've gotta select between what we have and right now and Kepa has rightfully been our #1. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Bison said:

No surprise to see Kepa apologists jump on a Mendy mistake. The same people who makes excuses for Kepa every single week. Hilarious.

lol, this place can be very strange sometimes. Can't call a really f**king bad mistake what it is without it being part of some agenda. Could just as easily say Kepa obsessives would have drawn up 30-slide PowerPoints on yesterday if it'd been him in goal.

Mendy makes loads of mistakes. You'd have to be living in 2021 to not notice.

Mauricio Pochettino will target four big-name stars at Chelsea this summer, including three of Argentina World Cup winners...

According to the Daily Mail, these will include a goalkeeper, two midfielders and a new attacker to lead the Chelsea’s attacking line.

It’s suggested that the players targeted will be Emiliano Martinez, Declan Rice, Alexis Mac Allister and Lautaro Martinez.

https://talksport.com/football/1423658/chelsea-mauricio-pochettino-transfer-news/

19 hours ago, Bison said:

Kepa does the basics well. He makes the right decisions for crosses and his distribution is good.  His downfall is stopping a decent shot from distance. 

Mendy is just a total liability and his nervousness spreads to the other players.  

• Like 1