Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Have we bought many before?

Oscar was a success both on the field, and then was sold at enormous profit.

Di Santo was an obvious flop, but I can't think of many (any) others bought directly from SA

For a while there was an explicit policy to only buy SA players after they had played a year in Europe because the challenges of settling abroad.  Ramires or Fernandez for example.

36 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Also on point 2 when amortisation comes into it the costs are generally manageable .

No.  In the end it is all about cash in, cash out.  Amortisation is just a way to spread the cashflow between the years.  But FFP is based on a 3 year average and even then individual bad years can be offset by a better record in previous or subsequent years.
Even the 8 year contracts are just increasing the 2026 ability to spend at the cost of 2028&9.

It is FD 2024 obsession by teenage scribblers.

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

For a while there was an explicit policy to only buy SA players after they had played a year in Europe because the challenges of settling abroad.  Ramires or Fernandez for example.

No.  In the end it is all about cash in, cash out.  Amortisation is just a way to spread the cashflow between the years.  But FFP is based on a 3 year average and even then individual bad years can be offset by a better record in previous or subsequent years.
Even the 8 year contracts are just increasing the 2026 ability to spend at the cost of 2028&9.

It is FD 2024 obsession by teenage scribblers.

I was specifically talking about the purchasing of younger inexperienced players supposedly stopping us buying the experienced players we need because of FFP constraints .

When the costs are amortised and we need to account for lets say , 8 players ,  8 players costs divided by 7 years , times 3 is less money than 8 players costs in one hit. 

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I was specifically talking about the purchasing of younger inexperienced players supposedly stopping us buying the experienced players we need because of FFP constraints .

When the costs are amortised and we need to account for lets say , 8 players ,  8 players costs divided by 7 years , times 3 is less money than 8 players costs in one hit. 

I dealt with this yesterday

22 hours ago, Dwmh said:

So we have 20 o21s in our squad (I'm at least as amazed at this now as when I first counted them) of which 4 are GKs and 2 were out for at least the first half of the season when the window shut.

It seems to me that an over reliance on unproven U21s is very very much part of the execution if not the plan - for this season at least.  I accept Colwill, Maatsen, Gusto and Lavia are not inexperienced and they have half and three quarters of a PL season behind them on the south coast.  

But yes I think the broad facts are than the senior squad has suffered and there has been an overly large presence of kids instead.  Cause or effect is up for debate but certainly it has been to the detriment of the first team.

The other points is next year and 3 years time...

Sure in year 1 you can buy 7 players on 7 year contracts and only 3 players on 3 year contracts.

Or better £70m of purchases on 7 year contracts and only £30m on 3 year contracts.
Then no one in year 2 or year 3.
But if you have 3 year contracts you can buy another 3 in year 4.  And another 3 in year 7.
Whereas with 7 year contracts you can't buy anyone else till year 8.

Yes you can front load the next 7 years of purchases into 2023 with 7 years contracts.  But you can't spend any more over the 7 years period.  

Which brings us back to a major point - do the Creamcakes have a 10 year business plan, or do they expect to do it all in the first 30 months and exit in 2025?  

🤔

Chelsea hold a legitimate interest in Aston Villa striker Jhon Duran and are considering making a surprise bid for the Colombia international before the closure of the January transfer window.
Villa are already believed to have rejected an enquiry to take Duran on loan from West Ham United and now Chelsea are weighing up making an offer of their own.
Reports in Colombia have claimed Chelsea’s interest has intensified and Telegraph Sport understands Duran is a name under careful consideration with a week remaining until the window shuts.
Duran only joined Villa last January in a deal worth up to £18 million and the 20-year-old has been a deputy to first-choice striker Ollie Watkins.
Despite scoring four goals, two of which have come in the Premier League, this season and making 35 appearances in total, Duran is understood to be keen on getting more opportunities.

IMG_8415.jpeg

Edited by Original 21

Benzema until the summer or nothing for me. 

Wages will be the reason that doesn't happen. 

The last thing we need is a young attacker with a questionable disciplinary record who doesn't score goals. 

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Have we bought many before?

Oscar was a success both on the field, and then was sold at enormous profit.

Di Santo was an obvious flop, but I can't think of many (any) others bought directly from SA

Yeah there’s been quite a few tbf…

Wallace, Mineiro, Nathan, Cuevas, Di-Santo, Kennedy, Piazon, Davila…

And then more recently there’s Washington, Santos, Kendry Paez, Angelo, Moreira etc

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Yeah there’s been quite a few tbf…

Wallace, Mineiro, Nathan, Cuevas, Di-Santo, Kennedy, Piazon, Davila…

And then more recently there’s Washington, Santos, Kendry Paez, Angelo, Moreira etc

Had forgotten most of those! Mineiro was in his 30s though, so different type of signing

5 hours ago, Original 21 said:IMG_8415.jpeg

Don't mind this IF it means we're selling Broja, so it virtually ends up being a swap where we pick up someone that's got more underlying talent. 

His first half of the season highlights for anyone interested. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Don't mind this IF it means we're selling Broja, so it virtually ends up being a swap where we pick up someone that's got more underlying talent. 

Does he have more potential than Washington and the likes of Stutter and McNeilly coming through our own academy? He should do for it to make any sense. 

17 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Does he have more potential than Washington and the likes of Stutter and McNeilly coming through our own academy? He should do for it to make any sense. 

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I've not really seen the guys you've mentioned enough to forge an opinion. 

What I would say though is that Duran seems a lot further along in his development despite being in a similar age bracket. I stumbled upon this little video from last year when he signed for Villa, sort of provides a bit of background on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

His first half of the season highlights for anyone interested. 

Interesting profile. A clean striker of the ball which we desperately need in attack. 

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

How is Washington getting on at u21 level? I've heard really good things about McNeilly. Seen some clips and he looks like a very good prospect. 

7 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Yes, I would say he definitely is a good way ahead of these lads in terms of development. I like what I have seen from Duran. He may only be 20, but he is a first team option at 20 and is currently caught up behind how good a striker Watkins has become. I dont think Villa will want to lose this lad on ability, so it will probably cost us a fair bit to make happen.

He looks a real handful though. His build and physique is impressive for a young player.

I have a good friend who is a villa season ticket holder and they all rate him highly. However, it does come with a warning, as apparently his attitude and professionalism has been questioned a few times. Late for training, not training as hard as he could, by all accounts a few of the senior pro's have had to have words with him. I was told there was 2-3 games earlier in the season where he was not named on the bench, despite being fit and Villa having no back up to Watkins. That was Emery decision due to his attitude towards training during the week.

My mate described him as full of potential and ability, but he has that Balotelli aura around him a little.

So it is one that may come with risks, certainly in a squad that already lacks senior pro's and leaders.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bison said:

How is Washington getting on at u21 level? I've heard really good things about McNeilly. Seen some clips and he looks like a very good prospect.

Washington hasn’t been playing for the U21’s lately, because of involvement in the first team squad, but McNeilly is a having a very decent season, consistently scoring goals, been impressed with him whenever I’ve managed to catch a youth game. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Late for training, not training as hard as he could, by all accounts a few of the senior pro's have had to have words with him. I was told there was 2-3 games earlier in the season where he was not named on the bench, despite being fit and Villa having no back up to Watkins. That was Emery decision due to his attitude towards training during the week.

I can see from watching highlights that he’s an obvious talent, he’s clearly highly regarded but these attitude problems really make me feel that we should steer clear. It doesn’t seem like the kind of energy that we need in a young squad, unless Poch has a better way of dealing with him than Emery. 

It's probably worth pointing out that every club in the Premier League is "keeping tabs" on pretty much every striker (and many other positions) in the Premier League as well as those from other Home Nations, Europe, Asia, North America and Africa. If they are not, they are not doing their job properly., or at all. I have no idea what a "legitimate interest" is unless we mean an interest where there is no contact with the player or his agent, i.e. nothing above what is normal.

I'd rather avoid someone with attitude problems. The new squad is starting to settle and is still very young, the last thing we need is someone coming in and rocking the boat.

I'll also be frustrated if our next few signings aren't experienced players to help the young players in our squad and help us manage the tricky moments we come up against.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Yes, I would say he definitely is a good way ahead of these lads in terms of development. I like what I have seen from Duran. He may only be 20, but he is a first team option at 20 and is currently caught up behind how good a striker Watkins has become. I dont think Villa will want to lose this lad on ability, so it will probably cost us a fair bit to make happen.

He looks a real handful though. His build and physique is impressive for a young player.

I have a good friend who is a villa season ticket holder and they all rate him highly. However, it does come with a warning, as apparently his attitude and professionalism has been questioned a few times. Late for training, not training as hard as he could, by all accounts a few of the senior pro's have had to have words with him. I was told there was 2-3 games earlier in the season where he was not named on the bench, despite being fit and Villa having no back up to Watkins. That was Emery decision due to his attitude towards training during the week.

My mate described him as full of potential and ability, but he has that Balotelli aura around him a little.

So it is one that may come with risks, certainly in a squad that already lacks senior pro's and leaders.

Emery is a top coach and if he has no time for him, it sum up the player. 

The club should not touch him with a barge pole. Even it his algorithms say he is worth a 7 year contract 

another  Borja / Jackson level player is the last thing the club needs in the striking department 

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'd rather avoid someone with attitude problems. The new squad is starting to settle and is still very young, the last thing we need is someone coming in and rocking the boat.

I'll also be frustrated if our next few signings aren't experienced players to help the young players in our squad and help us manage the tricky moments we come up against.

Get rid of old prima-donna bellend and replace with young prima-donna bellend does not appeal to my sensibilities .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

Washington hasn’t been playing for the U21’s lately, because of involvement in the first team squad, but McNeilly is a having a very decent season, consistently scoring goals, been impressed with him whenever I’ve managed to catch a youth game. 

Thanks.

Saw this earlier from @Chelsea Youth  on Twitter:

Pretty funny that the academy produces better quality than what the sporting directors are buying and giving first team opportunities to. Long may it continue.