Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Mauricio Pochettino will target four big-name stars at Chelsea this summer, including three of Argentina World Cup winners...

According to the Daily Mail, these will include a goalkeeper, two midfielders and a new attacker to lead the Chelsea’s attacking line.

It’s suggested that the players targeted will be Emiliano Martinez, Declan Rice, Alexis Mac Allister and Lautaro Martinez.

https://talksport.com/football/1423658/chelsea-mauricio-pochettino-transfer-news/

I wonder if our supposed interest in Lautaro Martinez is because he and Lukaku work quite well together at Inter? Martinez is better as a second striker playing off a target man, so does that suggest Lukaku is coming back? If so, then we already have Havertz who is better playing off a main striker, with Nkunku about to join who is also more suited to a second striker role. Add to that Felix who - according to some reports - may yet stay another year on loan.

If Martinez is being looked at as a 'replacement' for Lukaku, then we'll just be in the same boat as this season; a false 9 leading the line.

The main reason for Barca's title triumph is a phenomenal defensive effort - they have won 11 games with a 1-0 scoreline and,with just 13 goals against, they are set to smash La Liga's record of 18 goals conceded in a season.

That defensive excellence followed a major reshuffle in the backline, with impressive youngster Alex Balde displacing Jordi Alba at left-back, summer signing Jules Kounde proving his quality at right-back and another new arrival, Andreas Christensen, enjoying an excellent first season in Spain to help protect superb goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65570735

Edited by Bones

On 14/05/2023 at 13:05, Original 21 said:

Mauricio Pochettino will target four big-name stars at Chelsea this summer, including three of Argentina World Cup winners...

According to the Daily Mail, these will include a goalkeeper, two midfielders and a new attacker to lead the Chelsea’s attacking line.

It’s suggested that the players targeted will be Emiliano Martinez, Declan Rice, Alexis Mac Allister and Lautaro Martinez.

https://talksport.com/football/1423658/chelsea-mauricio-pochettino-transfer-news/

Martinez wouldn't be my first choice but have to say, I would be pretty thrilled with the others - particularly Rice and Lautaro. Rice could be transformative for our midfield. Lautaro will draw criticism and yes he is definitely streaky however, I think he might be the best available to us - the third best striker on the market after Kane and Osimhen. He is very capable, hard working, quite a versatile forward and he has a bit of that dog in him which we sorely need. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Bones said:

The main reason for Barca's title triumph is a phenomenal defensive effort - they have won 11 games with a 1-0 scoreline and,with just 13 goals against, they are set to smash La Liga's record of 18 goals conceded in a season.

That defensive excellence followed a major reshuffle in the backline, with impressive youngster Alex Balde displacing Jordi Alba at left-back, summer signing Jules Kounde proving his quality at right-back and another new arrival, Andreas Christensen, enjoying an excellent first season in Spain to help protect superb goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65570735

I think this has more to do with the standard of the teams in the Spanish league than anything else.  Barca were playing Alonso as CD for a few matches, i mean, Alonso as CD?!

On 15/05/2023 at 17:44, Miguelito07 said:

I think this has more to do with the standard of the teams in the Spanish league than anything else.  Barca were playing Alonso as CD for a few matches, i mean, Alonso as CD?!

Yeah, but mate 13 goals!! The previous record for lowest goals conceded was 18. It's astonishing how good defensively Barca were this season.

I saw folks saying we should try Alonso as ST, why not as CB. Apparently it worked!

And Christensen! Was always talented and then flourished under TT, now he's almost World Class. Shame we let him and Rudi go, but can't change that. Hopefully we can build a new back line.

On 15/05/2023 at 15:44, Miguelito07 said:

14 minutes ago, Bones said:

Yeah, but mate 13 goals!! The previous record for lowest goals conceded was 18. It's astonishing how good defensively Barca were this season.

I saw folks saying we should try Alonso as ST, why not as CB. Apparently it worked!

And Christensen! Was always talented and then flourished under TT, now he's almost World Class. Shame we let him and Rudi go, but can't change that. Hopefully we can build a new back line.

They're Stripey scousers .

Protected by the league and Uefa 

• Agree 2

Last few weeks have seen quite a few stories regarding us being linked to Andre Onana, the Inter keeper. More recently there's been one or two linking us with Mike Maignon of AC Milan

Both having fine games so far in the second leg of the CL Semi Final, but for me Maignon edges it slightly.

Neither are Courtois, Oblak, Ederson standard, but they're the next tier down.

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Last few weeks have seen quite a few stories regarding us being linked to Andre Onana, the Inter keeper. More recently there's been one or two linking us with Mike Maignon of AC Milan

Both having fine games so far in the second leg of the CL Semi Final, but for me Maignon edges it slightly.

Neither are Courtois, Oblak, Ederson standard, but they're the next tier down.

You need to take Into account the quantity of the league they are playing in. Neither IMO are an upgrade on the GK the club already has. 
As you have said recently there are more important areas of the team for upgrades before the GK’s

1 hour ago, Bones said:

Yeah but again, 13 goals conceded when the previous record was 18 😮

And yet, they’re talking about him (AC) being one of those sold at the end of the season to create funds for transfers and squad space. Plus the ex Leeds player who joined them this season, been touted as being another. Busquets also leaving, probably another reason for their defensive performances this season.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bones said:

Funny that.I said Christensen was as  good as VVD and was roundly laughed at.

I also said that Rudiger and Christensen were as good as any centre back partnership in the premiership.

We have been on the the slide since before they left,but we have slid faster than a toboggan since they left.

Edited by kev61
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Both Rudiger and Christensen wanted out. That's a simple fact of life (for those who remember the circumstances at the time). It's a shame but you can't keep them all.

Not my memory of things.They dragged their feet with Rudiger and messed Christensen around by dropping him for games with no reason.

Of course I could be wrong,my memory is like my sex drive...very poor😥

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Not my memory of things.

Well Christensen simply wanted out after around 10 years with the club. Pretty similar with Rudi. In THEIR minds it was simply time to try something new. You can check all that on the net if you want to (just like I did).

29 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Not my memory of things.They dragged their feet with Rudiger and messed Christensen around by dropping him for games with no reason.

Of course I could be wrong,my memory is like my sex drive...very poor😥

The Rudiger situation was a combination of several factors, as outlined here.

As for Christensen, he chose to leave on his own accord.

In fact, he actually agreed terms on a new deal at one point. Then he changed his agent, reneged on the prior terms, then chose to not renew. 

Not much more the club could've done here with a player who changed his mind didn't want to remain. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I wonder if we're one of these Premier League sides interested (we should be). He'd be the idea foil for Enzo in a pivot and a good/cheaper alternative to either Caicedo and Rice, and provide us with a pure defensive option in the midfield. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Well Christensen simply wanted out after around 10 years with the club. Pretty similar with Rudi. In THEIR minds it was simply time to try something new. You can check all that on the net if you want to (just like I did).

Maybe they could see the writing on the wall and thought is was time to get out of there?.

Maybe that's what Mount has been thinking?

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Funny that.I said Christensen was as  good as VVD and was roundly laughed at.

Quite rightly so  - He is not that good and was continually found out in the PL especially when playing a a CB in a back 4.

He only looks good because of the league he is playing in, of which he has only played 19/34 of the games he didn't play 13 he was injured. "what's new there".

VVD was getting plaudits and proved himself in Scottish premiership and at Southampton before he moved to the dippers. I can't remember Christensen getting continuous plaudits whilst in a blue shirt, it was usually the opposite on MOTD

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Both Rudiger and Christensen wanted out.

Spot on

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I wonder if we're one of these Premier League sides interested (we should be). He'd be the idea foil for Enzo in a pivot and a good/cheaper alternative to either Caicedo and Rice, and provide us with a pure defensive option in the midfield. 

Hopefully the new coach will decide the summer recruitment and not the TB sports dept and data analysis

One could argue Ampadu could do the job if coached and costs nothing

• Like 1
  • Agree 2