Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

19 hours ago, ROTG said:

Quite rightly so  - He is not that good and was continually found out in the PL especially when playing a a CB in a back 4.

Well that's bollocks - he was found out when Tuchel played him in a back 3 against Real when vinicious tore him apart.

It was Tuchel's  fault he didn't play James to thwart vinicious.He did eventually that changed the whole game.

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

Well that's bollocks

Not at all, Andreas was found out on more than one occasion in the PL with one on one situations in a back 4, which ultimately ended up in a goal for the opposition followed by Andreas usual feigning of an injury

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Not at all, Andreas was found out on more than one occasion in the PL with one on one situations in a back 4, which ultimately ended up in a goal for the opposition followed by Andreas usual feigning of an injury

He was made a scapegoat by many, in my opinion without good reason.  He didn't warm to the fan base because he wasn't a strong character or leader. In footballing ability terms he was better than Rudiger but, not in mentality.  They complemented each other well. He is a modern-day CB, someone that is comfortable on bringing the ball out from the back.  The funny thing is that physically he also has all the right attributes (same frame as JT), if he had more confidence he could also lead too and be one of the best around.

The 'feigning injury' was a myth.  Towards the end when he had obviously signed out because thing were not right within maybe, but, before that and when he was happy to be here he did put himself on the line.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

He was made a scapegoat by many, in my opinion without good reason.  He didn't warm to the fan base because he wasn't a strong character or leader. In footballing ability terms he was better than Rudiger but, not in mentality.  They complemented each other well. He is a modern-day CB, someone that is comfortable on bringing the ball out from the back.  The funny thing is that physically he also has all the right attributes (same frame as JT), if he had more confidence he could also lead too and be one of the best around.

The 'feigning injury' was a myth.  Towards the end when he had obviously signed out because thing were not right within maybe, but, before that and when he was happy to be here he did put himself on the line.

My opinion is slightly different to yours , He indeed could play it out from the back in the modern style but I always considered him to be both physically and mentally weak .

My biggest bug bear from memory was his absolute inability to track anyone who ran past him , he'd lose them every time. 

it's no surprise that he's doing well in a less physical league with two/three decent sides though .

He's a decent player when he can get out of the loo. 

On 17/05/2023 at 17:14, ROTG said:

Hopefully the new coach will decide the summer recruitment and not the TB sports dept and data analysis

One could argue Ampadu could do the job if coached and costs nothing

It'll be a mixture of both manager and the sporting department to handle recruitment, like it generally operates elsewhere with such a structure.

The only ones that would argue in favour of Ampadu doing the job, are ones who've not seen a lick of him the last couple of years while in Italy. He's a backup at absolute best, which is fine with me if he stuck around in that sort of role.

7 hours ago, ROTG said:

I always liked him, saw a lot of him for the youth and genuinely thought he would become world class.

He became a squad player. He played a total of 7303 minutes in the premier league for us, out of a possible 17,100 and that's with us predominantly playing a back 5.

Edited by martin1905

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

It'll be a mixture of both manager and the sporting department to handle recruitment, like it generally operates elsewhere with such a structure.

The only ones that would argue in favour of Ampadu doing the job, are ones who've not seen a lick of him the last couple of years while in Italy. He's a backup at absolute best, which is fine with me if he stuck around in that sort of role.

The problem the club have, is the overspend in the past two windows and the poor performance this season , which will ultimately impact spending and the quality of recruitment this summer. I doubt if Rice would even consider us now.  Hopefully if the club / new coach have any sense they will look at the PL teams going south to see if there are any tactical recruitments for short term and would be an asset in trying to achieve top 4 next season. 

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

The problem the club have, is the overspend in the past two windows and the poor performance this season , which will ultimately impact spending and the quality of recruitment this summer. I doubt if Rice would even consider us now.  Hopefully if the club / new coach have any sense they will look at the PL teams going south to see if there are any tactical recruitments for short term and would be an asset in trying to achieve top 4 next season. 

I don't get the impression that the owners are going to suddenly stop spending. If a certain player is who the new manager wants, they'll do their best to get him, I feel. Doesn't mean they'll be successful, as considerations other than the fee come into play, but I can see us trying for the likes of Rice and Osimhen.  I'm pretty sure we'll do enough in terms of sales to cover us regarding FFP  Remember that a £100m player on a 5 year contract is only £20m in the first year of that contract for FFP purposes, and the sale of a player for £20m balances that out. Admittedly, another £20m needs to be found the following year, etc., but for the moment, (and I'm being deliberately ultra-simplistic here) all we need to do is cover any spending - plus a bit more for safety -  and we're good to go.

As for players from relegated clubs, I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Romeo Lavia of Southampton. Joe Shields, our current head of youth scouting, was at Man City when Lavia was coming through, and recommended him to Southampton when he had a similar role there. We also tried to hijack his permanent transfer from City to Southampton last summer.

RLC appears to be off to Milan. I think that will be a good move for him and I hope it works out for him.

He’s never quite hit the heights many felt he could, the injuries didn’t help, but ultimately he’s just never really settled into a position and didn’t take the step up he could have done.

I’ll be interested to see what the fee is.

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

RLC appears to be off to Milan. I think that will be a good move for him and I hope it works out for him.

He’s never quite hit the heights many felt he could, the injuries didn’t help, but ultimately he’s just never really settled into a position and didn’t take the step up he could have done.

Apparently we're asking €30m.  Given his current wages (supposedly £150,000/week) we'll no doubt have to review that figure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Just get him and all the shit off the books! 

• Disagree 1

^ Both of those comments above are a bit unfair on Rubes IMO.   Academy lad, never caused any trouble and seems to love the club.

Will never be a first team starter here so if he wants to get regular football at his age, you have to wish him good luck.  That said, he’s is the least of our problems right now. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rob B said:

^ Both of those comments above are a bit unfair on Rubes IMO.   Academy lad, never caused any trouble and seems to love the club.

Will never be a first team starter here so if he wants to get regular football at his age, you have to wish him good luck.  That said, he’s is the least of our problems right now. 

I, too, can't understand the hatred aimed at him.  Says more about @Chelsea_Matt's mindset than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Could see him doing really well there. The slower tempo and style of Italian football will suit him down to the groud.

I mentioned a little while ago that I saw a lot of Christensen for the youth and the same applies to Ruben, I thought we had an absolute superstar on our hands, he was a phenomenon, so much bigger and stronger than everyone and very good technically with more than enough pace. He was a freak at youth level and I thought he would go on to be our Yaya Toure. He had everything, and some.

Wish him all the luck in the world. I still think he could be special but that's just me being sentimental remembering just how good he was.

£30m would be a fair bit more than I would have expected. Should get the same for Kovacic a fair bit more for Mount or Gallagher, although I'd sell neither I expect one will go, £15/20m each for Pulisic, Ziyech and CHO along with Aubameyang and Kante's wages off the books and all of a sudden our bloated squad is looking far more manageable with a fair bit of money in the bank plus a huge reduction in salary's.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I, too, can't understand the hatred aimed at him.  Says more about @Chelsea_Matt's mindset than anything else.

No it doesn’t.  He’s just expressing his opinion like you do.  And we do have a lot of s*** players on our books.

I’ve seen some very negative opinions expressed on here about RLC when he’s been playing.  He might not be s*** but he’s never lived up to his promise and has been a constant disappointment.  

And I find it a bit rich of you to comment on other people’s mindsets when you’ve been so unnecessarily rude to me in the past.

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

What's wrong with you Matt? No need for this rubbish.

Sorry Michael but one person’s ‘rubbish’ is another person’s opinion.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

RLC... No hatred or bad feeling for him...terribly unlucky with injuries and seemed to be "breaking out" before the debilitating injury in a pointless game ..a truly bad decision to play that game. Suspect with hindsight that the form pre injury was another "this time" moment before the let down.

Main feeling I have is disappointment and sympathy for the lad career wise but mindful that his pay checks didn't stop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Reubens never been the same since the achilles injury in a meaningless match. some people have short memories.

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Could see him doing really well there. The slower tempo and style of Italian football will suit him down to the groud.

I mentioned a little while ago that I saw a lot of Christensen for the youth and the same applies to Ruben, I thought we had an absolute superstar on our hands, he was a phenomenon, so much bigger and stronger than everyone and very good technically with more than enough pace. He was a freak at youth level and I thought he would go on to be our Yaya Toure. He had everything, and some.

Wish him all the luck in the world. I still think he could be special but that's just me being sentimental remembering just how good he was.

He'll suit the tempo of Serie A more and the busts forward he occasionally has will probably be more impactful as will his physicality, however I also wouldn't be surprised if he struggles from a tactical perspective. It's arguably one of his weakest points as a player, one where he often looks a little naive and lost. The number of times Jorginho used to rib into him about where he needed to be, or what he needed to be doing when paired together only further highlights this. 

Ruben's also a good example as to why young players need to play as much as they can in their formative years. He spent far too long on the fringes barely seeing the pitch, and while training with senior players great it doesn't replicate actual organised football where the tactical side of things is more prevalent. 

Overall this is a move that needs to happen for both parties really. He's not good enough for us and ran his course, while he's at a stage in his career where he's better off trying to build something elsewhere. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Apparently we’ve signed some Ecuadorian “wonder kid” called Kendry Paez for £20M. Bet he’s another winger!

He joins in 2 years. The saga over buying seems to have lasted 2 years too. 

8 hours ago, JaneB said:

And I find it a bit rich of you to comment on other people’s mindsets when you’ve been so unnecessarily rude to me in the past.

I've never been unnecessarily rude to you. I've not even been necessarily rude to you. I have merely pointed out that as a moderator you do not act with an even hand...  something which Chara accidentally confirmed (though I'm sure he didn't mean that to happen when he did so) when he said he'd received private warnings from you (having never received public warnings). That he receives these private warnings whilst all the chiding you do of me is very much public just proves my point that you are not capable of moderating in an even-handed way. That's all.