Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Judging on the clear club briefings, they are trying to recoup funds by selling in the summer some of the following: Hall (if he's met the clauses in his loan deal), Maatsen, Broja, Chalobah and Gallagher. Without even going into the wisdom of this, or the impact it will have on the academy, the strategy is clearly to use academy player sales to offset the amortisation already incurred and potentially add another big signing like Osimhen.

I don't see many more big incomings and outgoings, unless we get a mega offer for an expendable player. The year of consolidation is upon us...

And rightly so....

I'd be relatively comfortable with that list departing with the exception of Gallagher but a new deal seems unlikely for him at this stage.  Add to that, some kind of fee for Kepa, Ziyech and Lukaku, with Silva and Sarr likely to come off the wage bill too.  I also think there is a conversation to be had about Cucurella if I'm honest but let's wait and see. 

A striker is the only position I'd look at and say it was absolutely fundamental.  

52 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Judging on the clear club briefings, they are trying to recoup funds by selling in the summer some of the following: Hall (if he's met the clauses in his loan deal), Maatsen, Broja, Chalobah and Gallagher. Without even going into the wisdom of this, or the impact it will have on the academy, the strategy is clearly to use academy player sales to offset the amortisation already incurred and potentially add another big signing like Osimhen.

I don't see many more big incomings and outgoings, unless we get a mega offer for an expendable player. The year of consolidation is upon us...

Osimhen is old hat now. He will want at least 200k / week and the board won’t pay that. Though based on his Afcon final maybe they’re right… They will go for a younger option like Sesko or even Duran. Expect more of the same rather than „the final piece of the puzzle“. Really frustrating but that’s the model - they won’t learn from their mistakes and see more value in the younger player. Maybe they don’t even see that as a „mistake“. More heartbreak to come next season as we won’t fill our gaps, maybe replace the manager just to generate excitement in the „project“ and save face.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

A striker is the only position I'd look at and say it was absolutely fundamental.  

And mark my words Rob, they won’t go for the best in class. The irony is they wouldn’t have even gone for Nkunku - living off an RA signing. And the double irony is Osimhen would love to join us.

Edited by Max Fowler

20 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

And mark my words Rob, they won’t go for the best in class. The irony is they wouldn’t have even gone for Nkunku - living off an RA signing. And the double irony is Osimhen would love to join us.

I was completely underwhelmed by Osimhen at the AFCON.  

Looked bang ordinary in the highlights I saw throughout and the semi and final I watched. 

36 minutes ago, Ham said:

Looked bang ordinary in the highlights I saw throughout and the semi and final I watched. 

Me too, although I thought Nigeria were really crap too in semis and final and didn't play to his strengths at all.

44 minutes ago, Ham said:

He's a good player but for 120m I simply don't see it. 

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Interesting.  Are they really briefing this or is this just hacks guessing (perhaps rightly but unbriefed)?

The Academy will get more and more excited and more parents and agents will want to bring kids to Cobham is they see yet more Academy graduates signing 4 year contracts at £3k a week or more (imagine your kid is on £150k a year and still living at home, buying his Mum a house and his dad a car.)
Hardly anyone signs up with Chelsea to play for Chelsea, they sign because they dream of getting a Championship contract.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Decade of consolidation.  Well 6 years anyway.  True.  That is how it appears.

But what I don't get is how they claimed they were going to get the Wage bill down to £100m.  If they were anywhere near that there would be loads of room for more purchases.  Even this summer.

The real problem is that maybe Caicedo could look a £100m player at Brighton in a good year when they finished 6th.  But I haven't a clue how he is going to look like a £150m player at Chelsea (or next years).  Or how he isn't going to insist on a much higher wage level if he moved which limits the price.

8 hours ago, Bison said:

He's a good player but for 120m I simply don't see it. 

Yeah, he's not worth the sort of figure ADL is going to demand. 

That said we're probably going to pay out the ass for a CF anyway just because of how striker prices are inflated after half a decent season. 

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Like I said - we are not going to see big names or experience - that will likely be a big problem

I'd probably rather we bought Sesko than Osimhen anyway to be honest. He's young and green, which is obviously far from ideal, but he scores from everywhere and he's less than half the money. 

For pure experience we should be looking for a Cahill-type option to replace Silva. I.e. very experienced specifically in PL. Just for a couple of seasons.

18 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I'd probably rather we bought Sesko than Osimhen anyway to be honest. He's young and green, which is obviously far from ideal, but he scores from everywhere and he's less than half the money. 

For pure experience we should be looking for a Cahill-type option to replace Silva. I.e. very experienced specifically in PL. Just for a couple of seasons.

Osimhen or not, we all know we need some experience or if the board is not doing that at all costs, then stop briefing to the press you want to make CL football - or at least brief that it may take a few years to get there. If we add Sesko and Guehi there is no chance we make top 4 next season.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Osimhen or not, we all know we need some experience or if the board is not doing that at all costs, then stop briefing to the press you want to make CL football - or at least brief that it may take a few years to get there. If we add Sesko and Guehi there is no chance we make top 4 next season.

Is why I suggested a Cahill type figure with specific PL experience.

23 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Me too, although I thought Nigeria were really crap too in semis and final and didn't play to his strengths at all.

A team shouldn't need to play to the strengths of player who is being touted as  £120+ million. For thar kind of money a player should be capable of just going out there and doing his stuff when he receives the ball,  regardless of the system of play.  Another Lukaku is not what we need!  

Kane, Salah, Mbappe, Haaland do not need to have their teammates lay things on a plate for them for them to be effective.  They have the talent to make things happen by themselves, just as Drogba and Costa were able to do for us. 

Having to play in a certain way only makes a team more predictable, which is why the likes of City and Liverpool wouldn't touch Ohsimen with a bargepole for half the quoted price. I would bet good money he'd be another Lukaku level of disastrous signings. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

A team shouldn't need to play to the strengths of player who is being touted as  £120+ million. For thar kind of money a player should be capable of just going out there and doing his stuff when he receives the ball,  regardless of the system of play.  Another Lukaku is not what we need!  

Kane, Salah, Mbappe, Haaland do not need to have their teammates lay things on a plate for them for them to be effective.  They have the talent to make things happen by themselves, just as Drogba and Costa were able to do for us. 

Having to play in a certain way only makes a team more predictable, which is why the likes of City and Liverpool wouldn't touch Ohsimen with a bargepole for half the quoted price. I would bet good money he'd be another Lukaku level of disastrous signings. 

Agree. I think Osimhen is just as likely to fail horribly as to succeed. He's a good striker, just not convinced he is the right striker.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

A team shouldn't need to play to the strengths of player who is being touted as  £120+ million. For thar kind of money a player should be capable of just going out there and doing his stuff when he receives the ball,  regardless of the system of play. 

Desperately resisting making a comment about Caicedo and Enzo...

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Is why I suggested a Cahill type figure with specific PL experience.

I can't say I have seen enough of Guehi to comment if he is good enough, but come the summer, he will be 24, with circa 100 PL appearances under his belt.

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I can't say I have seen enough of Guehi to comment if he is good enough, but come the summer, he will be 24, with circa 100 PL appearances under his belt.

I haven't seen enough either. Surprised he is as old as that. I was thinking more 28ish.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

IMO he is not of the calibre we need - we need an upgrade - we have Colwill, Fofana, Badiashille and Disasi. Do we need to add Guehi? Not in my eyes - we haven't even used Chalobah this season. I would prefer the money to be spent elsewhere. Also on a "key player" signing to elevate us like Van Dijk not another mid signing we can choose between.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

IMO he is not of the calibre we need - we need an upgrade - we have Colwill, Fofana, Badiashille and Disasi. Do we need to add Guehi? Not in my eyes - we haven't even used Chalobah this season. I would prefer the money to be spent elsewhere. Also on a "key player" signing to elevate us like Van Dijk not another mid signing we can choose between.

Yes, I wouldn't, from the little I have seen, suggest Guehi is any better than what we have. 

• Like 1