Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, jasonb said:

Drogba hit more than 20 goals in just two seasons out of 9 nine seasons.

In one of these 2006, he had Arjen Robben, Joe Cole and Salomon Kalou as other attacking players.

In 2009, he had Florent Malouda, Anelka and Kalou as other attacking players. 

What made him special for me was the nature of his goals scoring the type of goal no-one else could through his technical ability and strength. 

As others have said the defenders then and Lampard were regularly contributing goals too.

Emphasises my .humble. opinion that we need a striker who frightens the opposition...DD did..as does Big H and Kane...that causes a lot of issues for a defence...I'm sure if you could ask a cross section of top defenders there would be few players mentioned that "frighten" them who would surprise us.

The clichéd but true "Keeps them honest" effect ...something Broja as an example doesn't have..Stirling maybe did once but not anymore.

3 hours ago, jasonb said:

Drogba hit more than 20 goals in just two seasons out of 9 nine seasons.

In one of these 2006, he had Arjen Robben, Joe Cole and Salomon Kalou as other attacking players.

In 2009, he had Florent Malouda, Anelka and Kalou as other attacking players. 

What made him special for me was the nature of his goals scoring the type of goal no-one else could through his technical ability and strength. 

As others have said the defenders then and Lampard were regularly contributing goals too.

Yes still special I agree.
Also people forget that he rarely played full seasons.
9 PL seasons, 254 appearances including 67 subbed on and 60 subbed off and 17250 mins total
That is 21.6 starts or  21.3 x90mins per season.

He was sharing striking duties with Gudjohnson, Crespo, Sheva, Torres and Costa frequently rotating with them and invariably looking the better player.
1 goal every 168 minutes is not shabby.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Heard he wants the Premier League but when PSG comes calling...

I fancy that's where he ends up.

Be pretty funny when he goes there and they still can’t win the champions league. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

We’d need to replace him with someone who has a similar level of energy and intensity, coupled with a strong technical ability and eye for goal, finding a player who loves the club as much as him though isn’t possible, but these owners don’t care about that. 

Edited by Floyd25

9 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

We’d need to replace him with someone who has a similar level of energy and intensity, coupled with a strong technical ability and eye for goal, finding a player who loves the club as much as him though isn’t possible, but these owners don’t care about that. 

At one point Gallagher was top of the league in terms of ball turnovers in opposition half. He has a unique ability to win the ball high up and can score a lot. Reminds me a bit of Lamps although obviously a bit different- technically not the most natural but he leads by example, has an eye for goal and can grow massively for us. If Caicedo and Enzo are worth 100+, how is Gallagher only worth 60? How is Gallagher not worth the same wages as Caicedo now? Honestly would be such an own goal for the board, they should avoid selling him at all costs. If we sell Gallagher and buy Guehi with the money I prefer not to speak.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

At one point Gallagher was top of the league in terms of ball turnovers in opposition half. He has a unique ability to win the ball high up and can score a lot. Reminds me a bit of Lamps although obviously a bit different- technically not the most natural but he leads by example, has an eye for goal and can grow massively for us. If Caicedo and Enzo are worth 100+, how is Gallagher only worth 60? How is Gallagher not worth the same wages as Caicedo now? Honestly would be such an own goal for the board, they should avoid selling him at all costs. If we sell Gallagher and buy Guehi with the money I prefer not to speak.

We can only hope that they manage to flog someone else first so Gallagher doesn't need to be sold, but if I was him I would be annoyed about the lack of a contract offer and constant club briefings so would be looking for an exit anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

We can only hope that they manage to flog someone else first so Gallagher doesn't need to be sold, but if I was him I would be annoyed about the lack of a contract offer and constant club briefings so would be looking for an exit anyway.

Who says there has been no contract offer?  We only know that none has been signed and announced.  Connor may have rejected 3 offers already.
My sympathies are with Conor not the club, and I reckon he is better off with a big 4 year contract elsewhere than a smaller 8 year contract here.  Also better off in a club that wants to play him CM rather than doing all the pressing.

Comparisons with Mount btw are a bit odd.  There is only 14m aged difference and Conor is nowhere near the level that Mount was over 2020-22 - except in our hearts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Who says there has been no contract offer?  We only know that none has been signed and announced.  Connor may have rejected 3 offers already.
My sympathies are with Conor not the club, and I reckon he is better off with a big 4 year contract elsewhere than a smaller 8 year contract here.  Also better off in a club that wants to play him CM rather than doing all the pressing.

Comparisons with Mount btw are a bit odd.  There is only 14m aged difference and Conor is nowhere near the level that Mount was over 2020-22 - except in our hearts.

Different players. Mount may have peaked too early and Connor may still have a lot more to come. Rumours are he wants 150k a week like Caicedo but talks are amicable.

Hmm..Mason v Conor...  Droy.."except in our hearts"....very true you old softy😉

Just a question.... seems Mason was vaguely injury prone prior to leaving Chelsea..or so my wobbly OG memory seems to recall..... hardly seems to have featured at manure due to injury....is this another one of those occasions when a selling club has a bit of undivulged "fitness" awareness of a player and quietly moved them on...Torres anyone?...for example.

Guest mrsm81

Happy to hear alternatives (genuinely don't know ). 

All I know is toney no thanks. 

What happened to scouting? Why are we always buying players at a premium, when we should be scouting lower/younger. Isn't that the point of a scout?

7 hours ago, mrsm81 said:

Happy to hear alternatives (genuinely don't know ). 

All I know is toney no thanks. 

What happened to scouting? Why are we always buying players at a premium, when we should be scouting lower/younger. Isn't that the point of a scout?

Isn't that what we have with the likes of Washington, Richards, DD Fofana and even Jackson to a degree?

My gut feels says neither Toney or Osimhen would be worth  the money required to bring them here, but I do think we need to sign someone more experienced / proven at this level. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, mrsm81 said:

Why are we always buying players at a premium, when we should be scouting lower/younger. Isn't that the point of a scout?

26 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Isn't that what we have with the likes of Washington, Richards, DD Fofana and even Jackson to a degree?

Thank you. 

Damned if you do.........

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

My gut feels says neither Toney or Osimhen would be worth  the money required to bring them here, but I do think we need to sign someone more experienced / proven at this level. 

Was Enzo worth the money we paid for him? Caicedo?

Was Rice? Personally I think you pay a premium for the "right player" now but the reason we won't sign Osimhen isn't because of his lack of quality or transfer cost - it's because of our obsession with buying young players on low wages.

The big standout for me would be that it seems like Osimhen really wants to join - he may not have done much in the AFCON - but his record for Nigeria is still 20 goals in 27 games. Nigeria as a whole were dreadful on the ball and as a striker I am not sure how much you can do - it's not like he missed loads of chances.

I am hoping that sways the board as it seems like they really favour players like Enzo who they believe fully buy into the project and will be here for the long haul (unlike Toney who wants Arsenal).

Edited by Max Fowler

I thought Elijah Adebayo looked pretty good when we played Luton. He's 26, 6'4", good in the air and on the ground. His goals are a mixture of right-footed shots and headers in the area. His left leg is for standing on. He is English (born in Brent), came up through Fulham's youth team, and spent a couple of years at Walsall. In the last few seasons in the championship, he had 17/4 in 21/22 and 10/4 in 22-23. He has 28 appearances in the PL and has 9/0 so far, which is pretty good in a first season in the top flight. He has scored against Man City, Arsenal, Brighton and Newcastle as well as us. Whether he can step up to 20 is still unknown, but with better supply, who knows? He seems to be able to control himself with 1Y and 0R. No injuries, suspensions or absences so far. He has also played as a CB, which might be handy for defending corners.

No doubt he could change his name to Adebayinho if that helps, although his full name of "Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo" is already some moniker.🙂

• Like 1