Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

27 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Was Enzo worth the money we paid for him? Caicedo?

Was Rice? Personally I think you pay a premium for the "right player" now but the reason we won't sign Osimhen isn't because of his lack of quality or transfer cost - it's because of our obsession with buying young players on low wages.

The big standout for me would be that it seems like Osimhen really wants to join - he may not have done much in the AFCON - but his record for Nigeria is still 20 goals in 27 games. Nigeria as a whole were dreadful on the ball and as a striker I am not sure how much you can do - it's not like he missed loads of chances.

I am hoping that sways the board as it seems like they really favour players like Enzo who they believe fully buy into the project and will be here for the long haul (unlike Toney who wants Arsenal).

Ah the old "multi year seven year contract" That always gets them,

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

but his record for Nigeria is still 20 goals in 27 games. 

His record for Nigeria is no indication whatsoever that he will be good enough to be a top striker in the EPL. 

African football is an awful standard and gone backwards not forward over the last 20 years, so. scoring goals against mostly awful nations is meaningless when it comes to facing way higher levels and low block defences in the EPL.  Also, international football in general has about as much in common with the EPL as one day cricket does with test cricket. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

His record for Nigeria is no indication whatsoever that he will be good enough to be a top striker in the EPL. 

African football is an awful standard and gone backwards not forward over the last 20 years, so. scoring goals against mostly awful nations is meaningless when it comes to facing way higher levels and low block defences in the EPL.  Also, international football in general has about as much in common with the EPL as one day cricket does with test cricket. 

How about his Serie A record then. 72 goals and assists in 96 games.

Look at Man United with Hojlund. He was more unproven than Osimhen and has been huge for them these last few weeks.

36 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

By the same definition, his poor return at the AFCON need to be discarded then.

His record in Serie A is impressive, but will he be worth the enormous fee? No idea. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I dont think Osimhen is all that different to Jackson. In terms of ability.

More than happy to be proved wrong, if he turns up here, but I really hope he doesn't. 

His record suggests otherwise.

Jackson has 30 goals and 18 assists in 131 games.

Osimhen 105 goals and 27 assists in 209 games.

Osimhen also won the league for Napoli for the first time in ages, making a huge contribution last season.

Edited by Max Fowler

14 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

His record suggests otherwise.

Jackson has 30 goals and 18 assists in 131 games.

Osimhen 105 goals and 27 assists in 209 games.

Osimhen also won the league for Napoli for the first time in ages, making a huge contribution last season.

Pub league 

Osimhen (in my opinion) is three quarters Jamie Vardy. It's not the most obvious comparison but the similarities are there.

He not quite elite, but that's the era we're in. If his price drops enough off the back of a medicore AFCON and a so-so Napoli season, then I think he'd be a good buy.

8 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Pub league 

Serie A obviously isn't as strong as it once was but where do you draw the line with respects to what leagues are worth their salt? 

Bundesliga has no defence and virtually been a one team league, La Liga is certainly no better quality wise, etc. 

Not that I'm advocating for us to sign Osimhen, and certainly not for £100m+, but dismissing the body of work a player does if it's not done in the Premier League is a little narrow minded, no? 

11 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Makes absolutely no sense. 

Kounde wants to play centreback, that's a big part of why he's unhappy at Barca because Xavi has made him play fullback. He doesn't fit any profile we need at either position. 

Seems a lazy link to be making.

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Kounde wants to play centreback, that's a big part of why he's unhappy at Barca because Xavi has made him play fullback. He doesn't fit any profile we need at either position. 

Also , isn't he a bit short considering we want big players?

On 21/02/2024 at 11:53, Mark Kelly said:

The good thing about Osimhen , not that I'm advocating to sign him though , is that he does appear to want to be here and follow in the footsteps of Drogba so I expect that  unlike some , he will actually try a bit.

…and leave some of the food in the Cobham canteen for everyone else. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Is he related to William Gallas?

On 21/02/2024 at 09:51, Max Fowler said:

Hmm - are things happening? Some of the Osimhen haters may have to eat their words!!!

He's overrated. Would rather Toney the Rat who is proven.

Also so glad we're transfer listing Calamity Sanchez. What a waste of money 💀

18 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

He's overrated. Would rather Toney the Rat who is proven.

Also so glad we're transfer listing Calamity Sanchez. What a waste of money 💀

Is Toney really more proven? Osimhen has 9 goals and an assist in 16 games in the Champions League.

For those saying it's not worth paying all that money, was it worth it for Enzo or Caicedo?

Osimhen has limitations but so do both of those boys and most are still happy we now have them.

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

For those saying it's not worth paying all that money, was it worth it for Enzo or Caicedo?

Massively overpaid for those two! Same with Lukaku, W Fofana, Cucu, Mudryk. 

Great way to balance the books by keep overpaying by tens of millions for overyhyped players.🤪