Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

On 23/02/2024 at 10:52, boratsbrother said:

Massively overpaid for those two! Same with Lukaku, W Fofana, Cucu, Mudryk. 

Great way to balance the books by keep overpaying by tens of millions for overyhyped players.🤪

I would agree that we overpaid for Enzo and Caciedo but, I would argue that they're both top players. Especially impressed with Caciedo.

He's not everyone's cup of tea because he does the boring stuff like Mikel, makaelle and Kante used to do. The way he wins the ball when he has a 30% chance is unbelievable. Enzo on the other hand has the vision to play people in but, at the moment isn't being given that freedom. I think he should be pushing towards a fabregas type player but, at the moment is being asked to be more Jorginho-esq!

Fofana was a mistake given the previous injury. We bought Mudryk to get one over arsenal, Lukaku was the biggest mistake ever and I think only the young generation who couldn't remember him first time round wanted him.. for cucurella, I think he is a decent enough player and could play a part. His hair doesn't help because when things are going badly he stands out like a sore thumb and looks like a clown.

• Like 1

Watched Kovacic put on an absolute clinic tonight for City, insane performance - better than any from our midfielders this season. The rewriting of his Chelsea career has been ridiculous. If you want to look at why we regressed, not building the team around him was one big reason. I would have definitely kept Havertz on at least another season, as well as Mount and Jorginho.

Arguments have gone - "we got good money for them - many people complained about them anyway". Well, let's just go ahead and sell Gallagher, Chilwell, and James too then and replace them all with 20 year olds. See how we fare.

"They downed tools" - okay. How many tools have been held firm by our players this season? Or do we just now have a squad full of tools? We needed to keep some experience in the side and phase them out year by year - Havertz and Mount could have commanded similar fees in a year or too I am sure. That is where we went wrong and why we have regressed - no continuity.

We could have still implemented a youth policy without moving so quickly.

We've gone so many steps backwards unnecessarily that it will be very tough to rebuild.

@Max Fowler...agree with the game performance TODAY and had Kova shown that sort of product week in week out at Chelsea I would agree with your view but he didn't and maybe you are remembering the potential of Havertz rather than the reality of his not short stay at Chelsea ?

Given the players you mention playing consistently to a high standard your point would be  valid  but again they all showed us what they were capable of but not week in week out...that is/was the rub.

The reasons can be debated for as long as anyone cares to..and have been.

9 hours ago, chara said:

@Max Fowler...agree with the game performance TODAY and had Kova shown that sort of product week in week out at Chelsea I would agree with your view but he didn't and maybe you are remembering the potential of Havertz rather than the reality of his not short stay at Chelsea ?

Given the players you mention playing consistently to a high standard your point would be  valid  but again they all showed us what they were capable of but not week in week out...that is/was the rub.

Noone performs week in week out Chara. Again we could make the same argument with Gallagher. Or Chilwell. Then after the fact say - well they never performed consistently anyway! The simple fact is we sold too much (experience too) fast. And given I was okay with Pulisic etc. leaving, these are the players we should have held onto a bit longer. Kovacic, Jorghi and Havertz are all doing really well and we are languishing with all the changes.

9 hours ago, chara said:

Plus Kovacic was bloody consistent for us under TT and I think you are misremembering that ☺️

13 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Watched Kovacic put on an absolute clinic tonight for City, insane performance - better than any from our midfielders this season. The rewriting of his Chelsea career has been ridiculous. If you want to look at why we regressed, not building the team around him was one big reason. I would have definitely kept Havertz on at least another season, as well as Mount and Jorginho.

Arguments have gone - "we got good money for them - many people complained about them anyway". Well, let's just go ahead and sell Gallagher, Chilwell, and James too then and replace them all with 20 year olds. See how we fare.

"They downed tools" - okay. How many tools have been held firm by our players this season? Or do we just now have a squad full of tools? We needed to keep some experience in the side and phase them out year by year - Havertz and Mount could have commanded similar fees in a year or too I am sure. That is where we went wrong and why we have regressed - no continuity.

We've gone so many steps backwards unnecessarily that it will be very tough to rebuild.

You had to wait until late February to post that about Kovacic at city.  

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Ham said:

You had to wait until late February to post that about Kovacic at city.  

Guarantee every City fan thinks Kovacic has been a great signing. 25 million? Are you kidding?
He's been great for them - ticking along as he does every single game.

But as it's a counterfactual and I have no way of disproving it "He wouldn't have done anything anyway"

31 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Guarantee every City fan thinks Kovacic has been a great signing. 25 million? Are you kidding?
He's been great for them - ticking along as he does every single game.

But as it's a counterfactual and I have no way of disproving it "He wouldn't have done anything anyway"

He didn't want to stay .

He played like he didn't want to be here .

He's not a fan of Chelsea .

He's a supporter of big wages.

15 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I've been a big critic of Enzo so far, but he's played a bigger part in helping us win games in this season alone than Mr One Goal a season managed to do in his entire career at at Chelsea. The very definition of a bang average midfield player for us who was bang average as an attacking force and bang average as a defensive one. Looking good in one game against the mighty Bournemouth doesn't change any of that!  Should have got rid of him years before we did nevermind build a team around him! 

As for Havertz. He's playing in a far better team which is only two points off the top yet his performances and goals tally have been no better than what he did for us for three very average years. Palmer is a huge upgrade on him too!  

There's only two players I'd have kept. RLC as a useful squad utility player and Alonso, who even at his age is still better than Cucu or Colwill in that position.

3 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I got as far as “Chelsea’s rivals”…

You mean the clubs who have no access to our accounts? Yup, me too.

There is also a fair we can sell without directly impacting the first team. Lukaku, Maatsen, Chalobah, Broja, Hall (already done)

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

You mean the clubs who have no access to our accounts? Yup, me too.

There is also a fair we can sell without directly impacting the first team. Lukaku, Maatsen, Chalobah, Broja, Hall (already done)

Crazy to think that those deals may already be, at least in the pipeline,  possibly already done yet it's funny how they are never mentioned whenever this talk of needing to raise £100m comes out.

It's almost like the club plans on selling those players to raise some money and might actually have some idea of what they are doing, at least in terms of FFP/PSR.

12 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Crazy to think that those deals may already be, at least in the pipeline,  possibly already done yet it's funny how they are never mentioned whenever this talk of needing to raise £100m comes out.

It's almost like the club plans on selling those players to raise some money and might actually have some idea of what they are doing, at least in terms of FFP/PSR.

But you and Paul are conveniently ignoring we are trying to sell Gallagher...

Just now, Max Fowler said:

But you and Paul are conveniently ignoring we are trying to sell Gallagher...

I'm ignoring it because I don't believe it.

I don't go on any social media and very rarely,  hardly ever in 20 years look at mainstream media so I can form my own opinions on things instead of relying on countless guesses from people on the media who get 99% of things wrong.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

I'm ignoring it because I don't believe it.

I don't go on any social media and very rarely,  hardly ever in 20 years look at mainstream media so I can form my own opinions on things instead of relying on countless guesses from people on the media who get 99% of things wrong.

Let's see. I hope if and when we do you and everyone else hold the board to account and don't blame Gallagher!

@Max Fowler, any story claiming we are having to raise funds by selling players and not mentioning Lukaku should be immediately ignored.

It's such lazy click bait it's almost like they forgot we still own him. He is  without a doubt the number one on our list of players we want to sell yet all we hear is about us wanting to sell Gallagher.

Not sure why anyone would take it seriously. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

@Max Fowler, any story claiming we are having to raise funds by selling players and not mentioning Lukaku should be immediately ignored.

It's such lazy click bait it's almost like they forgot we still own him. He is  without a doubt the number one on our list of players we want to sell yet all we hear is about us wanting to sell Gallagher.

Not sure why anyone would take it seriously. 

Because Lukaku to Saudi is already done and the club are clearly briefing to their favourite journalists about Gallagher to try and drum up interest.

Why would every Chelsea associated journalist say the same thing - we are trying to sell Gallagher?
One great clickbait conspiracy?

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm ignoring it because we sold him in August and January already.

According to those same people. 

We are trying to get 50 or 60 million and the only mover was Tottenham in January and they never really bit.