Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

28 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Agreed. We will be shedding a lot of the excess weight and bringing in some experience down the spine. 

Will be an experienced CB to replace Silva, and possibly Wes. 

Will be an experienced striker to replace Broja/Lukaku. 

Will be am experienced winger to replace Sterling and Madueke. 

Meanwhile we are shedding 7 or 8 players. A busy summer. But we saw in the Newcastle game that there is a suggestion of the basis of a half decent side there. Gusto, James, Colwill, Gallagher, Petrovic, Caicedo, Chukwuemeka, dare I say it Jackson and maybe Enzo as well. Nkunku and the aforementioned Wes Fofana to come back as well, there are some very good players there. 

Dear Morgerino,

I hope your coffee has cooled down to a satisfactory temperature.

Sadly, the balloonheads who run the clown show at SB would appear to be selling Gallagher; a move moronically stupid and shortsighted even by their chronically cretinous standards.

As for Reece, my personal favourite player, will he even ever play again?

That Todd ‘n’ Eggy have to contemplate ANOTHER fire sale, no doubt incurring more losses, shows us yet again how cripplingly ridiculous and laughable our transfer policy is. 

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Morgs said:

we saw in the Newcastle game that there is a suggestion of the basis of a half decent side there. Gusto, James, Colwill, Gallagher, Petrovic, Caicedo, Chukwuemeka, dare I say it Jackson and maybe Enzo as well. Nkunku and the aforementioned Wes Fofana to come back as well, there are some very good players there. 

I'd add Mudryk to that list.

Anf last but not certainly not least,  the lad with the worst haircut in the league.

For all the stick Poch has been getting (some of it deserved) isn't that list of players a good sign that he is doing what he was brough in to do, ie build a team?  A long way to go but I honestly think the team is in better shape now than when he took over. Get a settled defence next season and we will be competing with Utd, Spurs and Villa for the fourth CL place. 

46 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Agreed. We will be shedding a lot of the excess weight and bringing in some experience down the spine. 

Will be an experienced CB to replace Silva, and possibly Wes. 

Will be an experienced striker to replace Broja/Lukaku. 

Will be am experienced winger to replace Sterling and Madueke. 

Meanwhile we are shedding 7 or 8 players. A busy summer. But we saw in the Newcastle game that there is a suggestion of the basis of a half decent side there. Gusto, James, Colwill, Gallagher, Petrovic, Caicedo, Chukwuemeka, dare I say it Jackson and maybe Enzo as well. Nkunku and the aforementioned Wes Fofana to come back as well, there are some very good players there. 

Unfortunately the word experienced is not part of the current regimes ideology , along with he wage demands of experienced players.

Got a feeling the only shedding this summer will be for profit rather than the bloody obvious.

Petrovic is a curious one, trying to find a heat map of something for more proof, but whenever i watch him he seem to have a weakness which is low to left. It might be my imagination but its something to look out for.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Alleged 20% sell on clause for Musiala, who is expected to be sold for 80m this summer. 

Looking increasingly likely we will be getting that £4m loan fee for Broja too, due to not starting 60% of their games 

40 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Looking increasingly likely we will be getting that £4m loan fee for Broja too, due to not starting 60% of their games 

He can probably do with a seasons loan  in the championship to get his confidence back and hopefully shooting boots, because TBSD would be lucky to get two-bob for him this summer. 

44 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Petrovic is a curious one, trying to find a heat map of something for more proof, but whenever i watch him he seem to have a weakness which is low to left. It might be my imagination but its something to look out for.

Nothing curious about a young keeper having a flaw. 

First season at this level and he's barely made a costly error. That is what he should be judged on!

He might never reach the level of elite but has years of potential improvement ahead of him to go from a reliable, steady keeper into a real quality one. Even at this stage he's taken a position that's been a problem for years to where it's no longer a significant weakness for us. Couldnt really have wanted more from him so far!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Nothing curious about a young keeper having a flaw. 

First season at this level and he's barely made a costly error. That is what he should be judged on!

He might never reach the level of elite but has years of potential improvement ahead of him to go from a reliable, steady keeper into a real quality one. Even at this stage he's taken a position that's been a problem for years to where it's no longer a significant weakness for us. Couldnt really have wanted more from him so far!

And unlike Sanchez he doesn’t seem to have an error in him every match. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

And unlike Sanchez he doesn’t seem to have an error in him every match. 

And this is the crux of the matter.

Sanchez just doesn't provide the same steadiness when being utilised as an outlet. 

• Agree 1

Re Petrovic, I really like him. Some thoughts while I wait for my shower to warm up. 

There is a saying: "necessity is the mother of progress" and this applies here.  Kepa was a problem for us and replacing him with Sanchez was a downgrade.  Sanchez is a nice lad but has a terrible mistake in him and has always struck me as a case of having oversold himself. Teams use keepers almost as a sweeper these days and you have to be really good playing out from the back (which annoys the hell out of me, we are the worst for it) and Sanchez arrived with many claiming this was or is one of his major strengths.

I remember early in my career I went on an Excel course and came back having completed it and was then feted (much to my acute embarrassment) as an Excel ninja and the go-to guy for anyone's questions. The problem was that I was clueless; I hated (and still do) Excel and find it a unique blend of tediousness and frustration, showing up in brutal detail how much I don't know about it every time I use it. It blows my mind that my workmates then and now all seem to think I know how to use Excel and it is a major strength of mine - it really isnt!! 

I believe Sanchez has arrived as "a playing out from the back ninja" and I honestly think it is low key the weakest part of his game. If I may labour the metaphor yet further, the "get the f**king calculator out and do it manually" approach for me - i.e.: just hoof it up field and stop messing around with it, for him, is my natural instinct and I believe his too. So I waste hours on abortive and error-strewn attempts at making the Excel sheet work for me, Googling everything and trying my best at something that isn't in my natural skill set, when it would have been easier and quicker just to do it by hand with a calculator. Same for Sanchez - his long distribution is great but you sense a great deal of discomfort when he is asked to knock it short and move the ball around, put into the feet of the fullbacks. This is supposedly his strongest skill set but he has made some disastrous mistakes doing it this season that has not only cost us goals but games as well. 

Without wishing to get on his back any more than necessary (as I say, nice bloke and I think a decent enough keeper) I think Sanchez doesn't get down quickly enough for such a big bloke and gets beaten at his near post too often. I wonder if Sanchez is actually too big? He's lightyears better than Kepa from range and his size and agility means he can and does get to things Kepa wouldn't have had a prayer with, but the distribution and point blank shot-stopping makes me nervous. We know he has a mistake in him every game. Unfortunately, the period we are in right now means every single mistake we make is severely punished ruthlessly, because that's just how the universe works for us right now. 

Petrovic meanwhile I think is a better shot stopper and is more agile. His distribution is not technically better, he is just more confident with it. He knows when to punt it long and when the short passes are on. His kicking is superb and he's a decent penalty stopper as well. He is just a more confident and calmer stopper than Sanchez is and you sense the confidence reflected back across the back four when he plays, vs Sanchez scaring Disasi and Silva half to death every time he touches the ball and forcing them to face the goal, drop deeper and try to minimise the potential for Sanchez to drop another clanger. You don't see that with Petrovic. 

If I had a criticise, I'd like to see him be a little more vocal and commanding but that will come with time. All keepers make mistakes but I like how he never hides, he has a hard streak and if he makes a mistake his head doesn't go and he doesn't start flapping at things. 

Best of all he is only 24 and is likely still a couple of years off his prime. His ceiling is hard to determine - he could go on to be a world class keeper but as of right now he is just in the "very good" category which is fine by us as he's daylight better than any of the other keepers we have. 

Edited by Morgs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, JaneB said:

@chara Interesting post for you from @Morgs ?

It is indeed..pretty much agree and meant to comment but with one thing and another..including heavy snow from Tuesday through Thursday..main road to town closed...and managing to bang myself up slipping on our deck steps...been a bit spotty and inconsistent commenting on some interesting posts!

Still puzzled why Sanchez played today, I;m all for keeping a keeper up to scratch with the occasional appearance but unless Petr was carrying a niggle/knock I can't see the sense of it.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Can't believe we didn't go for Gyokeres last Summer. Such a missed bargain there. Now he is going to cost a fortune.

Recency bias I know but Ellis Simms CF at Coventry looks like a great player to me , lead the line really well , has great instincts in the box and must surely be attracting admirers , he was fantastic against Wolves 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Recency bias I know but Ellis Simms CF at Coventry looks like a great player to me , lead the line really well , has great instincts in the box and must surely be attracting admirers , he was fantastic against Wolves 

He looked really good, but his record this season (and across his career) is pretty ordinary.

has one PL goal in his career.

against us. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He played well Saturday, but he is very limited. I keep a close eye on Coventry as lived there for 4-5 years in late teens, so I have some friends who are Coventry fans.

He has improved recently for them and can be a handful , but he is severely lacking in quality. He is nowhere near the level of Gyokeres who they had last season . 

3 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

He played well Saturday, but he is very limited. I keep a close eye on Coventry as lived there for 4-5 years in late teens, so I have some friends who are Coventry fans.

He has improved recently for them and can be a handful , but he is severely lacking in quality. He is nowhere near the level of Gyokeres who they had last season . 

Thanks for that , nice to know , I quite liked Gyokeres too but as Carefree Muratcan says he's probably going to be too dear for us now 

not to mention the stigma of being bought from a "small" team by the TBSD lol.

4 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Can't believe we didn't go for Gyokeres last Summer. Such a missed bargain there. Now he is going to cost a fortune.

Surprised Jeremy Leyde didn’t give Winstanley the heads up last summer

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, McCreadie said:

What, before he started working for us you mean?

One would assume the hiring of him was months in the making, especially as he has the Brighton connection.