Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 minute ago, east lower said:

But surely, Dick Dastardly & Muttley is a better option?

Don’t think they have enough between their ears for those characters 

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Don’t think they have enough between their ears for those characters 

But…..they were scheming bu**ers and one of them would definitely throw the other under the bus 🚌.

65m for a 17 year old. Beyond absurd.

They have already signed Kendry Paez (who plays the exact same position) for £17m. Based on reports and clips I've seen, Paez is by far the better prospect.

This makes genuinely no sense whatsoever.

65m on a child when we have an excellent academy, a first team that has significant holes in key areas and they're asset stripping the club to balance the books.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bison said:

65m for a 17 year old. Beyond absurd.

They have already signed Kendry Paez (who plays the exact same position) for £17m. Based on reports and clips I've seen, Paez is by far the better prospect.

This makes genuinely no sense whatsoever.

65m on a child when we have an excellent academy, a first team that has significant holes in key areas and they're asset stripping the club to balance the books.

Yeah, I have to agree. I admit I know very little about him, so maybe he is going to be the next world class talent, but to splash out €65m on him seems absurd and a massive risk. They’re going all in on this kid being the real deal.

You have to hope that we are in a better financial position than everyone would have us believe, otherwise this is madness, surely?!

On 16/05/2024 at 16:01, east lower said:

But…..they were scheming bu**ers and one of them would definitely throw the other under the bus 🚌.

As Christopher Vivell found out - I wonder if he is still on gardening leave?

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, I have to agree. I admit I know very little about him, so maybe he is going to be the next world class talent, but to splash out €65m on him seems absurd and a massive risk. They’re going all in on this kid being the real deal.

You have to hope that we are in a better financial position than everyone would have us believe, otherwise this is madness, surely?!

If the fee is correct, its utter madness

With FSP etc it’s going to be interesting to see how many transfers in the summer exceed £50m.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

According to Teamtalk, the deal is worth £26m plus add-ons. 

Thats a more palatable fee, but still quite a lot considering we probably need to spend money on some ready made first team signings and will be restricted financially in some way, you would hope.

7 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Thats a more palatable fee, but still quite a lot considering we probably need to spend money on some ready made first team signings and will be restricted financially in some way, you would hope.

Read somewhere else £35m plus add-ons taking the maximum fee to £65m. 

Could be the next CHO or Casey Palmer I.e. just a good professional player. Big gambles these. 

If the Gruesome Twosome are behind this type of transfer, is their thinking ‘it will be a good while before you see success or failure’ and therefore we can’t be judged until then?

Posted (edited)

It's not a deal I would have done. I have already said that I think we should be concentrating on PSR. Having said that, I often wonder about the motivations of so-called ITKs, or do I mean low-grade journalists? These people want to be noticed. Integrity is not high on their agenda. It is in their interest to inflate fees as much as possible because that way, people quote them raising their profile. There is almost no jeopardy because even when a deal is agreed upon, the actual values are rarely disclosed, and no one bothers to see how accurate those reporters were in the past. Agents, players, clubs and even fans collude in it. Agents want to be seen to get the best deals so they can sign up more players. Players want to be seen as more valuable than they are. Clubs want to be seen as big, swinging d**ks who "do the big deals", and fans want evidence that they have the "best" club that spends money on the "best" players. For fans, it's the hope that kills you off. If the player does not live up to the inflated fee (which they have nothing to do with, and even if they did, it may not be right), the fans see them as having no value rather than having lower value.   

Edited by Sciatika
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

It is hard to think of a club going big this summer on a signing,

ManUre will more than likely be frugal this summer the new leadership looking to prune the squad along with a company type coach on board.

Dippers will not go large, with the new bloke in charge

The Arse if they dont win the league are a busted flush with backing captain black

Spuds no chance 

Chitty might be the only club who will make an big signing in excess of £50m

Villa & Newcastle will be more on cementing the foundation they have built - Dick Emery will more than likely use his knowledge of Spain, Got a feeling of howzat for Howe at the toon 

We desperately need a striker and an experienced, top quality CB. Also a keeper in the near future although I think all 3 of our current ones are good enough for top 4.

We get those three signings right in the next couple of windows and we've built a squad capable of really challenging in the next few years. It absolutely has to be the priority.

So let's spend loads of money on an unproven 17 year old from Brazil. 

Brilliant.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Don’t really mind us trying to get ahead of the competition on a “so called” wonder talent from South America

BUT, if we have to sell the likes of Gallagher or Chalobah to fund it, that’s where I draw the line.  Huge no for me in that scenario, for two reasons…. Firstly they are Chelsea boys that love the club and that has to mean something but also they are deserving of their place in not only the squad, but the actual team right now.

So I’m going to reserve judgement on this signing for now. 

Edited by Rob B
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Rob B said:

Don’t really mind us trying to get ahead of the competition on a “so called” wonder talent from South America

BUT, if we have to sell the likes of Gallagher or Chalobah to fund it, that’s where I draw the line.  Huge no for me in that scenario, for two reasons…. Firstly they are Chelsea boys that love the club and that has to mean something but also they are deserving of their place in not only the squad, but the actual team right now.

Not that I'm happy with the sales of Hall, Maatsen and Broja but I hope this is enough for one summer and we manage to keep Chalobah and Gallagher as both have proven their quality and deserve to stay in the starting XI.

I don't see us signing a new CB, I'd like to see Colwill and Chalobah get a run of games together.

8 hours ago, Sciatika said:

According to Teamtalk, the deal is worth £26m plus add-ons. 

The mainstream media always include the add-ons when talking about the fees we pay.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

The mainstream media always include the add-ons when talking about the fees we pay.

100%.  Mudryk being the prime example.  

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

12 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

11 hours ago, martin1905 said:

We desperately need a striker and an experienced, top quality CB. Also a keeper in the near future although I think all 3 of our current ones are good enough for top 4.

We get those three signings right in the next couple of windows and we've built a squad capable of really challenging in the next few years. It absolutely has to be the priority.

So let's spend loads of money on an unproven 17 year old from Brazil. 

Brilliant.

9 hours ago, Rob B said:

He's not joining until 2025 so has zero impact on this summer transfer deals, zero impact on 2024/25 financials, and any squad gaps we have for next season.  

3 hours ago, Ham said:

100%.  Mudryk being the prime example.  

Exactly and most of those only get added on if we win the PL and the CL, at which point I wouldn’t care how much he cost.

Fully expected Todd and Eggy to keep dipping in to the Brazilian market, so not surprised and they didn’t want to lose out on this kid after losing out on Endrick, but they need to calm down on youth signings a bit and focus more of adding some experience. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

He's not joining until 2025 so has zero impact on this summer transfer deals, zero impact on 2024/25 financials, and any squad gaps we have for next season.  

Understood, but we are a several billion pound entity, so I’m pretty sure we have some top accountants and FP&A people at the club who forecast / model our financials further than the immediate 12 months ahead,  particularly as PSR works across 3 seasons.

Personally I can’t see how a £30m - £60m commitment that is just one year away, CAN’T have an impact on what we do this summer.

And I’m just waiting for the spin that’s put on selling the likes of Gallagher/Chalobah, such as “the team didn’t get CL football” or “season tickets only went up 5%” 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

And I’m just waiting for the spin that’s put on selling the likes of Gallagher/Chalobah, such as “the team didn’t get CL football” or “season tickets only went up 5%” 

What about "Gallagher wouldn't sign his new contract so we had no choice" ?

It works that way too.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

What about "Gallagher wouldn't sign his new contract so we had no choice" ?

It works that way too.

Yes. One has to be fair. I’ve said before; it isn’t always the club’s fault - there’s several factors that work both ways when a player won’t re-sign. 

• Like 1