Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

27 minutes ago, Bison said:

Would be a shame to see him end up there. 

Have we got a sell-on clause?

I think one more raid on Brighton for Estupinian would be a place for us to look, IF the rumours are true about selling Chilwell or Cucurella. As long as we sell for more than we buy.

Plus a centre-forward, Jackson gets better but we’ve been luck he’s stayed fit. Need someone to take/share the load. Do we need to go top of the shop with an Osimhen purchase? Not so sure of that, but someone who’ll likely get 15 goals or so, and with the goals we seem to be scoring that might not require a £100m+ man.

Whereas one of our current £100m men seems to be starting to be looking worth the major outlay (£100m not a chance, but who is?), the other one remains a very question mark over his suitability and value.

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I wonder if he'd come back? 

Probably not. Nobody will take Sterling because of his wages and the club is trapped in the Mudryk sunk-cost fallacy for at least another season. As it stands our LW will continue to stink for another season before any action is likely to be taken. 

13 minutes ago, east lower said:

Have we got a sell-on clause?

I think one more raid on Brighton for Estupinian would be a place for us to look, IF the rumours are true about selling Chilwell or Cucurella. As long as we sell for more than we buy.

Plus a centre-forward, Jackson gets better but we’ve been luck he’s stayed fit. Need someone to take/share the load. Do we need to go top of the shop with an Osimhen purchase? Not so sure of that, but someone who’ll likely get 15 goals or so, and with the goals we seem to be scoring that might not require a £100m+ man.

Whereas one of our current £100m men seems to be starting to be looking worth the major outlay (£100m not a chance, but who is?), the other one remains a very question mark over his suitability and value.

I doubt there's a sell on fee. Incredible deal for Forest if this happens. A £5m transfer fee and they will make a hefty profit off any sale.

Wonder what Clearlake will think of the sporting directors grossly undervaluing an asset like that. 

9 minutes ago, Bison said:

Probably not. Nobody will take Sterling because of his wages and the club is trapped in the Mudryk sunk-cost fallacy for at least another season. As it stands our LW will continue to stink for another season before any action is likely to be taken. 

I doubt there's a sell on fee. Incredible deal for Forest if this happens. A £5m transfer fee and they will make a hefty profit off any sale.

Wonder what Clearlake will think of the sporting directors grossly undervaluing an asset like that. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/callum-hudson-odoi-signs-for-nottingham-forest-chelsea-fc-transfer-deadline-day-b1104372.html

Seems like we might have a clause - I’ve linked one of the number of articles that seem to say that we have.
👍

• Like 1

I've said it before, but let's take a punt on Elijah Adebayo as a backup to Jackson. He is 1.93m tall, strong, and good disciplinary record. He has managed 10 goals in 32 games in his first term in the Prem in a weak Luton side. Given Chelsea's additional creativity, I'd expect him to get more. He had an injury this term, but only the odd issue in previous seasons in the Championship.

Goals Assists Played Goals per 90 Mins per Goal Total Shots Conversion Accuracy
10 0 32 0.54 167 30 33% 53%

He is 26 and his last contract was in 2023, so probably a couple of years left. Transfermarkt says his contract value is about €12.00m, but they always underestimate it. Luton has been relegated, so he might be amenable to a move especially given various incidents in the past while playing for them. More, think of the income the club would get from having his full name on their shirt - "Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I've said it before, but let's take a punt on Elijah Adebayo as a backup to Jackson. He is 1.93m tall, strong, and good disciplinary record. He has managed 10 goals in 32 games in his first term in the Prem in a weak Luton side. Given Chelsea's additional creativity, I'd expect him to get more. He had an injury this term, but only the odd issue in previous seasons in the Championship.

He is 26 and his last contract was in 2023, so probably a couple of years left. Transfermarkt says his contract value is about €12.00m, but they always underestimate it. Luton has been relegated, so he might be amenable to a move especially given various incidents in the past while playing for them. More, think of the income the club would get from having his full name on their shirt - "Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo"

I like suggestions like this because 1) he's something we don't have and 2) we can and likely will do a lot worse for considerably more money. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Looks a handful when I've seen him play , for a moderate fee it may be worth taking a punt instead of putting all our eggs in an Osimhen basket , I think we may well be after Jhon Duran of Villa though 

The fella from Girona - Artem Dovbyk scores lots of goals in a good league - His ratio's look good over a few seasons now.

How much? Is the pertinent question.

Ukranian - So an ally/pal for Mudryk as well.

Just a suggestion though - No links, other than the tenuous ones that were about in January.

49 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Bloody hell with a name like that there wouldn't be room for his shirt number 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bones said:

Is Conor off then?

Looks like it. The club desperately needs that 'pure profit'. There isn't another hotel that can be asset stripped to balance the books. 

I read that Kieran McKenna stuff with a heady mix of "no they wouldn't" and "it is just mental enough for Chelsea to actually consider it" that only comes from following the Chelsea (over land and sea, yaknow) for as long as I have. 

Binning Poch now makes no sense. Ive been hard anti-Poch for a long time now but the end of the season showed me clearly what the team SHOULD have been doing this season were it not for the most ridiculous injury crisis we have ever seen. 

Sixth is a minor miracle all things considered. 

Next season we have a real chance at doing something special. Liverpool will be bedding in a new manager and won't be fixing the major holes in their squad. City won't be winning five in a row as it's almost impossible to maintain that hunger for this long and honestly, I don't think they are the team they were. Arsenal will be the team to beat but got very lucky with injuries and ref decisions last season and may not be so charmed next season. Newcastle are going stale and Howe looks like he is off. Can they kick on? Spurs? Yeah ok. Yernited are going to bin EtH and struggle to replace him, and their squad is dreadful. Villa are a busted flush and won't be top four next season, they are crap at the back and have been rumbled by the rest of the league. 

My point is top four is absolutely wide open. 

Imagine we keep Gallagher, sell Enzo, replace Silva with a world class centre half, buy a proper target man up top and improve on Petrovic between the sticks, with a bit of luck and a few fewer injuries and we are flying, guys, I'm sure of it. Cannot help but feel going Poch the vote of confidence and time to have the whole summer, have his say on who he wants to bring in, add the stability and calm things down... can only be a good thing. 

I'm as optimistic as Ive been for ages. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

I read that Kieran McKenna stuff with a heady mix of "no they wouldn't" and "it is just mental enough for Chelsea to actually consider it" that only comes from following the Chelsea (over land and sea, yaknow) for as long as I have. 

Binning Poch now makes no sense. Ive been hard anti-Poch for a long time now but the end of the season showed me clearly what the team SHOULD have been doing this season were it not for the most ridiculous injury crisis we have ever seen. 

Next season we have a real chance at doing something special. Liverpool will be bedding in a new manager and won't be fixing the major holes in their squad. City won't be winning five in a row as it's almost impossible to maintain that hunger for this long and honestly, I don't think they are the team they were. Arsenal will be the team to beat but got very lucky with injuries and ref decisions last season and may not be so charmed next season. Newcastle are going stale and Howe looks like he is off. Can they kick on? Spurs? Yeah ok. Yernited are going to bin EtH and struggle to replace him, and their squad is dreadful. Villa are a busted flush and won't be top four next season, they are crap at the back and have been rumbled by the rest of the league. 

Imagine we keep Gallagher, sell Enzo, replace Silva with a world class centre half, buy a proper target man up top and improve on Petrovic between the sticks, with a bit of luck and a few fewer injuries and we are flying, guys, I'm sure of it. Cannot help but feel going Poch the vote of confidence and time to have the whole summer, have his say on who he wants to bring in, add the stability and calm things down... can only be a good thing. 

Agree with all of this except selling Enzo.  Let's see him post surgery.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Morgs said:

I'm sure of it. Cannot help but feel going Poch the vote of confidence and time to have the whole summer, have his say on who he wants to bring in,

According to the straight out of cobham crew, that is the problem. 
The Management want to continue with the current structure of recruitment by the club and coaching by the coach. 

On 21/05/2024 at 09:17, Morgs said:

I too am optimistic now that Pochettino is in the rear view mirror. Whether this optimism will prevail is predicated upon the selection of the next manager !

• Agree 1

How about Solanke. 19 goals this season in a poor team. Wouldn't cost the earth and I'm sure he would have a point to prove. Obviously he is 26 years of age and maybe considered geriatric by the Chelsea board.

45 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

How about Solanke. 19 goals this season in a poor team. Wouldn't cost the earth and I'm sure he would have a point to prove. Obviously he is 26 years of age and maybe considered geriatric by the Chelsea board.

I thought that on Sunday. Was a real handful. Drops deep, uses his size (he's bulked out a LOT btw) with his back to goal, and is always looking to get a shot away.  Silva was struggling with him at times. Could be just what we need. Which means it wont happen because the club have identified a Honduran five year old who will cost twice the fee and never play for us, ever. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Just now, Morgs said:

I thought that on Sunday. Was a real handful. Drops deep, uses his size (he's bulked out a LOT btw) with his back to goal, and is always looking to get a shot away.  Silva was struggling with him at times. Could be just what we need. Which means it wont happen because the club have identified a Honduran five year old who will cost twice the fee and never play for us, ever. 

Yep , he's improved and would fit nicely here I think without upsetting the others 

• Agree 2

Some thoughts while I wait for the ink on my irate letter to Clearlake to dry.

Poch was clearly very unlucky. Firstly because of the sheer scale of the injury problem he had to deal with which robbed him of the few genuinely world class players he did have for most of the season. And also secondly because, having steadied the ship after the Arsenal humiliation, we played good football and strung some results together in a way we simply couldn't for the previous six months. The team itself had endless hard luck stories week in week out and a lot of the really costly mistakes were individual ones that were not necessarily Poch's fault. 

That said, I never warmed to him really. He started off with me, as I suspect he did with the majority of us, on a bit of a cautious footing simply because of the Spurs thing. I liked the way he handled the media and appreciated that he seemed to be genuinely liked by them in stark contrast to a few of his predecessors. 

There was no bond with the fans. He didn't celebrate with us and so looked a bit aloof and careless as opposed to CAREFREE. He made some dreadful mistakes early on while he was feeling his way round the squad and I think most of us were alarmed at his lack of decisiveness in the middle of games, where he had options but didn't want to change an approach that was clearly not working. We were, for many long endless sludgy months, far too easy to play against and this didn't change fast enough for the liking of many. Meekly surrendering the League Cup in the final to Liverpool was impossible to excuse or forget and it certainly felt on the day that the semi against City was a missed opportunity as well that we didn't have enough about us to take advantage of, and that under a better manager we might have. 

Even so, he was and is, objectively speaking, a far better, more experienced and more rounded, complete manager than the youngsters being mentioned to replace him. McKenna, Maresca, de Zerbi and their ilk are not the answer and replacing Poch with them is a retrograde step any way you cut it. 

Looming over the whole risible episode like a crap, overpriced hotel, is the knowledge that Clearlake want to sell Gallagher and probably Chalobah and that this was almost certainly the sticking point over which Poch wanted to have influence over transfers. He wanted to keep them, Clearlake need to sell them. So there the paths diverge. 

Downgrading the manager, removing our most important midfielder (who has skippered the side on many occasions this season) and doing away with one of the only decent centre-halves we have is, as it looks from here, not something the club can recover from in one summer. Should, as looks likely, the new coach sink without trace under the pressure and expectation at Chelsea, then the season will be a write off and we'll have made no more progress. 

By all accounts the team were shocked and appalled to see Poch be shown the door and we wonder how many of them still want to play for a club that is in such a dire state of crisis. Would you blame Cole Palmer or Malo Gusto for jumping ship if Arsenal or Liverpool come waving a pay rise at him? 

The problem now is that Chelsea are unmanageable. The upheaval has gone from temporary to cultural. It is now ingrained. The sporting directors run things and the coach has no input save for training and prepping for matches. This may work in the MLB but it would be a braver man than I to suggest that it could or would work in the Prem. 

I can only see yesterday's move as a really catastrophically poor decision from a club that doesn't know what it is or what it wants, or how to get there any way. This is a dark time and we go into the new season a morass of uncertainty and negativity which doesn't help these young players. We're a laughing stock. 

This is not my Chelsea. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

^ Above you to your most Morgs - It has the potential to look an even worse decision if Poch ends up at Old Trafford and takes them back into the top4 at our expense. Even Poch's most fierce if critics are bricking it that this is very much a possibility for how things play out! The so called football men at Chelsea should resign with immediate effect if this situation does play out!

Edited by Thiago97
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

^ Above you to your most Morgs - It has the potential to look an even worse decision if Poch ends up at Old Trafford and takes them back into the top4 at our expense. Even Poch's most fierce if critics are bricking it that this is very much a possibility for how things play out! The so called football men at Chelsea should resign with immediate effect if this situation does play out!

Can't agree more. I said the same thing on Twitter last night - Poch goes to Yernited, takes Gallagher with him and they finish above us. 

Just now, Thiago97 said:

Don't include me in the "bricking it" pile please.

I agree with a lot of what has been said pro Poch but by the same token , we're not talking about prime Mourinho , Klopp or Pep were talking about the bloke who came third in a two horse race with the best side he's ever had in the Premier League and when the chips are down constantly makes the wrong decision.

You can  point and laugh at me on here when we're mid table this time next year if you like.

• Thanks 1