Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It does feel a bit strange doesn’t it. Even if Chalobah goes, I’m not sure this guy is that much better than the rest and if Fofana does manage to get fit, it leaves us with him plus 4 all at roughly the same level, maybe Colwill slightly above (with potential to be even better). Surely the 5th CB should be that elite leader at the back to partner Colwill?

Maybe the owners just see this as an opportunity to get a free signing in that they’ll be able to sell on in a year or two for profit?

Ordinarily, this would be a really great signing IMO.

Free transfer, wages won’t be too expensive, homegrown, already local, tall, good age etc.  It ticks so many boxes and arguably we should have done more of these types of acquisitions under the new owners.

However, we have lots of CB’s already and as you quite rightly say, all of similar ability.  If you asked 5 fans their preferred pairing you could get 5 different answers!

I’m sure the club (owners) are tempted by the £25m or so we might get for Chalobah, however his ongoing cost (salary) is rumoured to be about £2m annually which is peanuts.  If we need the money that badly, we should start with the £30m annual cost of Fofana and Disasi. (Fofana alone is £20m of this) 

From a footballing perspective though I’d be quite happy going into next season with Adarabioyo, Fofana, Badiashille, Colwill as the core four, with Chalobah as the versatility man who can cover 3-4 positions.  Disasi would be the one to go. 

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Ordinarily, this would be a really great signing IMO.

Free transfer, wages won’t be too expensive, homegrown, already local, tall, good age etc.  It ticks so many boxes and arguably we should have done more of these types of acquisitions under the new owners.

However, we have lots of CB’s already and as you quite rightly say, all of similar ability.  If you asked 5 fans their preferred pairing you could get 5 different answers!

I’m sure the club (owners) are tempted by the £25m or so we might get for Chalobah, however his ongoing cost (salary) is rumoured to be about £2m annually which is peanuts.  If we need the money that badly, we should start with the £30m annual cost of Fofana and Disasi. (Fofana alone is £20m of this) 

From a footballing perspective though I’d be quite happy going into next season with Adarabioyo, Fofana, Badiashille, Colwill as the core four, with Chalobah as the versatility man who can cover 3-4 positions.  Disasi would be the one to go. 

If Fofana plays 20 competitive games next season it will surprise me. 

He’s done for as a player, sadly. But that’s just what I’ve heard, could be BS. That’s why we’ll need one more central defender than we should really have.

But we bought him injured, there was a hasty medical and we are where we are. 

Another really bad decision by the new owners.

On the plus side, we haven't done too badly out of City's academy, especially players with some association with Joe Sheilds. It would give me more confidence if he is behind this move.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, east lower said:

He’s done for as a player, sadly. But that’s just what I’ve heard, could be BS. That’s why we’ll need one more central defender than we should really have.

Even if he isn’t done, it’s going to take a while to get him back up to the levels needed, purely because he’s missed so much game time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

On the plus side, we haven't done too badly out of City's academy, especially players with some association with Joe Sheilds. It would give me more confidence if he is behind this move.

It was a shame the club let so many of our defensive academy players a few seasons ago, however at the time the club  had some outstanding defenders so it was always going to be a issue for them to break in to the first team.

Not sure any of the current bunch would have got in to the first team a few seasons ago

14 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Maybe the owners just see this as an opportunity to get a free signing in that they’ll be able to sell on in a year or two for profit?

On the other hand he could become the next Marlang Sarr 😀

4 hours ago, east lower said:

£70,000,000. I wonder if we still have the receipt?🤣🤣👀🫡

On 01/06/2024 at 13:38, Ham said:

He's 26 and 6'5" tall. Also home grown. 

Ticks a lot of boxes. 

Didn’t we have a rule where we wouldn’t bring in players over 25? Is that out the window now? 

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

He was 25 last year.

I bet he doesn’t even play that amount of first team games next season if the gruesome twosome sign him. 

20 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

£70,000,000. I wonder if we still have the receipt?🤣🤣👀🫡

I sense there could be a significant insurance payout as a possibility mind you? 

I feel for him, because he's still so young - but these injuries do not look good.  It's a lot for anyone to go through, let alone all by the time you're 22-23

• Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 08:56, Rob B said:

That's a very good point. If he was being signed as a free transfer to be 3rd choice behind JT and Carvalho, or Silva and Rudiger, it would make lots of sense. I know very little about Tosin, other than he is tall, quick and an ex City graduate, but I don't get the impression he is levels above what we have already.

We have a lot of 6 or 7/10 players, and I think Colwill has the potential to go beyond that, but I was kind of hoping, if we were to sign a CB, it would be elite level. We must surely offload someone though, assuming Fofana can play some games, otherwise we will be overstocked. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looks like Hutchinson is being sold, shame because I think he’s a real talent but it was inevitable, always a straight profit signing, I do have a feeling he’ll make it a top club though. 

12 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Looks like Hutchinson is being sold, shame because I think he’s a real talent but it was inevitable, always a straight profit signing, I do have a feeling he’ll make it a top club though. 

It's a real shame because we have a considerably worse player who will be given every opportunity to stink the place out.

Based on Hutchinson's performances for Ipswich he absolutely deserves a chance but Chelsea is not a normal or well run football club. He has to be sold in order to balance the books because there have been far too many expensive mistakes who cannot be shifted.

Selling Hutchinson is a no-brainer for me. We can't loan him again given his contract situation. We don't really need him from a numbers perspective and, while he might well be better than the woeful Mudryk, that is a very low bar. He did well in a brilliantly coached Championship team, and that sadly is not a strong indication of broader ability. His stock is high and we have been pretty bad at cashing out on players in these situations in the past. It would be daft to not learn from that just because we have other rubbish players we're stuck with.

Maybe he goes on to be a player we could have used but he's not there now and we're not in a position to wait.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Selling Hutchinson is a no-brainer for me. We can't loan him again given his contract situation. We don't really need him from a numbers perspective and, while he might well be better than the woeful Mudryk, that is a very low bar. He did well in a brilliantly coached Championship team, and that sadly is not a strong indication of broader ability. His stock is high and we have been pretty bad at cashing out on players in these situations in the past. It would be daft to not learn from that just because we have other rubbish players we're stuck with.

Maybe he goes on to be a player we could have used but he's not there now and we're not in a position to wait.

I have to agree. As much as I love the idea of a young English player making it here, if someone is willing to offer decent money for him, we'd be silly not to cash in on him. Put it this way, if selling Hutchinson means keeping Chalobah and Gallagher, then it's a no brainer.

He had a good season in the Championship, but that doesn't mean it will translate into the Premier League and especially into a top 4 side, which is what we are planning to be. He may turn out to be the next big thing, but that's why we would/should put some kind of buy-back clause in there.

3 hours ago, Bison said:

It's a real shame because we have a considerably worse player who will be given every opportunity to stink the place out.

Based on Hutchinson's performances for Ipswich he absolutely deserves a chance but Chelsea is not a normal or well run football club. He has to be sold in order to balance the books because there have been far too many expensive mistakes who cannot be shifted.

I mean, they don't even play the same position, so Mudryk versus Hutchinson is somewhat irrelevant. 

Left footed forwards we already have Palmer and Madueke, with Kendry joining next year. Where does he fit in?

Arsenal apparently have a sell on clause on Hutchinson so we won't see all of the profit generated, it was reported when we signed him but no details on the % given. Arsenal fans are of course saying it's 50% which is unlikely.

Regarding the free signing of Tosin, and the chat on "free" transfers elsewhere on the forum, we have had issues in the past where you sign a free agent and they get paid way more than their value in the squad. They can obviously negotiate higher wages as they know the club saves on the transfer fee and they want a piece of the action. This causes 2 problems - 1. They are harder to shift if they don't work out, teams lower down can't afford to pay us a fee and match the wages. 2. Players that are above their level then want parity on wages, despite the fact we did previously pay a large transfer fee for them.

Those type of signings have the potential to upset the apple cart, and even raise wage levels across the squad. Not commenting on Tosin in particular, or saying we shouldn't sign him, as I haven't watched him play and can't comment on how much use he will be here

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Rumours floating around that we are going to bid for Olise. Do we really need another winger? 

Depends on how he's going to use Palmer.

Do we really want him stuck out wide, which is how Maresca tends to uses his wingers, or do we use him more centrally as one of the 8's, meaning in possession he will basically be playing as a 10?

• Agree 1