Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, Miguelito07 said:

Rumours floating around that we are going to bid for Olise. Do we really need another winger? 

It depends where Palmer and Nkunku end up playing. If they’re both used as wingers, then we possibly don’t, unless someone is moving on.

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I just do not understand it. It’s a decision clearly being made by people who don’t understand the sport. From a business POV it makes sense, but from a footballing POV it really does not and the Sporting Directors should be turning around to those on the business side and telling them to find and other way to make the money.

Finding a Gallagher type player, as I’ve said a few times before, is so so hard to do and if you do, it’s even harder to sign them as clubs don’t sell them. We won’t be able to find another player with his heart, his passion, his work rate, his willingness to run through brick walls and himself into the ground for this club. He chips in with goals, he triggers the press, he makes others around him better due to how much ground he covers.

It will be a terrible decision if we sell him.

Symbolic. 

Losing Gallagher the player is one thing - mind you, I’m not sure we have someone with his ability to get around the pitch, press with his intensity, get stuck in, and chip in with 12 G+A from midfield etc - but truth be told, in terms of footballing ability, we will get over it.  

But make no mistake about it, if these owners / SD’s sell Gallagher, it will speak volumes and confirm all of my fears.  It says they don’t give a fuck about the pathway from the first team to the academy, that they aren’t making objective decisions based on footballing ability, and that they will go to any lengths for ‘pure profit’ to cover up their dismal acquisition and commercial strategy to date. 

If Gallagher is sold, it says to me that they put their own vanity projects over what is best for the team, and nothing / no player is off the table.  We are witnessing a player trading model right before our eyes. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I am so angry about this.  Gallagher is the LAST player we should be selling.

Another piece of 'real Chelsea' going.

I wouldn't worry mate. We'll end up buying him back for £150m in two seasons. 

This is what happens when the club over commit on purchasing substandard players who cannot take the clubs to the levels needed to meet FSP demands. 

How long before creamcakes backs Chiity,s latest challenge?

21 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Selling Hutchinson is a no-brainer for me. We can't loan him again given his contract situation. We don't really need him from a numbers perspective and, while he might well be better than the woeful Mudryk, that is a very low bar. He did well in a brilliantly coached Championship team, and that sadly is not a strong indication of broader ability. His stock is high and we have been pretty bad at cashing out on players in these situations in the past. It would be daft to not learn from that just because we have other rubbish players we're stuck with.

Maybe he goes on to be a player we could have used but he's not there now and we're not in a position to wait.

Can't really argue with this. 

I imagine we'll also likely throw in some sort of buy back or percentage of future sale type clause to any potential deal. That'll either give us the ability to bring him back, or to at least cash in further at the back end should he end up earning a bigger move later.

We've also got to consider we'll have Kendry Paez joining, along with Estevao, in the next couple of years. Both super highly touted wingers themselves. 

10 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I just do not understand it. It’s a decision clearly being made by people who don’t understand the sport. From a business POV it makes sense, but from a footballing POV it really does not and the Sporting Directors should be turning around to those on the business side and telling them to find and other way to make the money.

Finding a Gallagher type player, as I’ve said a few times before, is so so hard to do and if you do, it’s even harder to sign them as clubs don’t sell them. We won’t be able to find another player with his heart, his passion, his work rate, his willingness to run through brick walls and himself into the ground for this club. He chips in with goals, he triggers the press, he makes others around him better due to how much ground he covers.

It will be a terrible decision if we sell him.

Even if the club are intent on selling him, or at least are willing to accept suitable offers, Gallagher could simply adhere to his contract and leave on a free at the end of that. In fact, he'd probably be better off to do that anyway. He'd get a bigger cut of the financial pie as a free transfer, and he'd likely have a wider list of clubs willing to pick him up. He's under no real obligation to leave, which would ultimately put a spanner in the works for those pressing to sell.

I'm still holding out hope we're delaying to offer him a new contract until after the PSR period for this season passes though.

10 hours ago, JaneB said:

I am so angry about this.  Gallagher is the LAST player we should be selling.

Another piece of 'real Chelsea' going.

I wouldn't get angry about anything until it happens. 

He was sold by the press last summer and again in January 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I wouldn't get angry about anything until it happens. 

He was sold by the press last summer and again in January 

And he was "going to Villa" three / four weeks ago too.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

There is a glimmer of hope from an old hero

Conte calls Lukaku: "I'll wait for you in Naples five kilos lighter"

Naples isn't a great place to go to lose five kilos.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

The Athletic reporting productive talks with Villa to sell Gallagher ...

I think I dislike these owners more on a weekly basis, they’re beyond help. Saving grace might be that no team meets his asking price. 

Edited by Floyd25

13 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It really will but I honestly think that the governing body has to shoulder some of the blame here with the way they're almost inducing clubs with ambition not to nurture their own youth players but to sacrifice them to meet invented arbitrary fiscal targets. 

Agreed with this entirely. It should be the other way around, keeping your academy players gives you some FFP bonus or something against that players deemed market value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

And he was "going to Villa" three / four weeks ago too.

Still is Mark 😞 And he's our captain.  Who the hell is going to take that role?

What is interesting on Gallagher, to me, is there has been basically no media briefing by him or the club about contract talks. Absolutely nothing, no indication that they've happened and we're miles apart, no indication that they've happened at all. A real stark contrast to the build up to Mount's sale, where both parties made desperate land grabs for the moral high ground. 

If we hadn't got to June with no new contract, I'd feel pretty optimistic about that and would interpret it as a sign of the player and club getting along well enough and just taking some time to work it out. At this point, though, it's hard to not interpret it as a new contract just not ever having been on the table and acceptance that a sale will happen.

Just now, JaneB said:

Still is Mark 😞 And he's our captain.  Who the hell is going to take that role?

The issue I have Jane is that if he "won't sign" what are Clearlake supposed to do ?

Also when the governing body decides how much money a club can invest in players and pick figures out of the sky purely because they themselves are so bent they don't want an even more corrupt government poking their noses around and seeing what they're up to and getting in on the act so  what is the answer? 

I don't think any Chelsea supporter wants us to sell Gallagher for all the reasons we've already covered but , at the end of the day it is a business and their hands whilst not tied are being forced by more than their own desires. 

As for the Captaincy , Gallagher was third choice of Pochettino behind both James and Chilwell so I think we're still covered there. 

Personally , I think this is going to be more ITK nonsense fuelled once more by what the media wants to happen rather than what is actually happening , they're all rubbing their hands together , pre-writing their " BoEhLy Is DeStRoYiNg ChElSeA" articles having pilloried the club over every single decision we've made since Bates was in charge .  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The issue I have Jane is that if he "won't sign" what are Clearlake supposed to do ?

Also when the governing body decides how much money a club can invest in players and pick figures out of the sky purely because they themselves are so bent they don't want an even more corrupt government poking their noses around and seeing what they're up to and getting in on the act so  what is the answer? 

I don't think any Chelsea supporter wants us to sell Gallagher for all the reasons we've already covered but , at the end of the day it is a business and their hands whilst not tied are being forced by more than their own desires. 

As for the Captaincy , Gallagher was third choice of Pochettino behind both James and Chilwell so I think we're still covered there. 

Personally , I think this is going to be more ITK nonsense fuelled once more by what the media wants to happen rather than what is actually happening , they're all rubbing their hands together , pre-writing their " BoEhLy Is DeStRoYiNg ChElSeA" articles having pilloried the club over every single decision we've made since Bates was in charge .  

I've bought into the narrative that he doesn't want to go and is being forced out.

And the awful thing is, it's been so long since James played in the team regularly that I'd forgotten (momentarily) that he was our captain.  And I don't have much faith that he won't get injured again very quickly, the same with Chilwell.

• Agree 1