Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, he is one to keep an eye on in pre-season I think. I'm interested to see what our midfield options look like next season. Quite a few questions at the moment.

Where does Caicedo play? As the DM or one of the 8s?

Is Lavia going to be fit to play, if not do we need to go into the market for another DM?

Will any of Santos, Ugochukwu or Casadei be part of the squad?

Will Gallagher still be here?

Will a fit Enzo be good enough?

Will Palmer and/or Nkunku be playing as one of the 8s?

Will Chukwuemeka stay fit? If he does, I think he can have a big season for us as one of the 8s in Maresca's system.

I assume that Santos and Casadei plus 1-2 academy midfielders will go to the US on tour, as Gallagher, Enzo and Caicedo will be latecomers after the Euro/Copa America, and Ugochukwa will be at the Olympics. That just leaves Lavia to play deep in midfield, who's coming back from injury. So we'll need bodies for at least the first 2-3 friendlies.

4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

But don't the new loan regulations, which are getting tighter every year, put the mockers on that too. There is a max of 6 unless they are club trained and Under 21. Therefore "hoovering them up" won't work as they won't get into our 1st team and won't go up in value playing in our reserves.

We've already seen Deivid Washington, Les and Casadei suffer in their development this season because we fudged it last year. And this is probably the reason why we will look to cash in on Hutchinson this season.

Realistically we are going to have to start cherry picking elite talents, which carries more risk due to the higher transfer fees. And any hoovering will need to be done domestically at lower age groups.

I did post on this a while back - the players we have actually developed best, and subsequently cashed in on the most, are those that have been with us from the very young age groups - Tammy, Tomori, Guehi, Mount, Livramento etc, we didn't sell them but look where Rice and Musiala have developed to, and then Gallagher, Reece and Colwill would command huge fees

The new rules do limit us to a degree, however it can be balanced out with correct planning and some foresight with respects to clear intentions. 

We were also hampered by the loan system limit over the last 12 months because we also had to utilise it send out players like Lukaku, Ziyech, Kepa, etc. We're hopefully not going to have to do this again, so it'll mean more slots open to make use of for younger players that fit this purpose.

Of course, there's layers to it and it's not necessarily a black and white situation as they'll be differing factors like player age, their assumed role, talent, etc. Some we sign will likely stay here and spend a season or so in the academy first, others a bit older or more developed may go out on loans instead. 

We'll probably sell a player or two from this pool every season, while likely to try and recruit a couple every window or season in return. Having a strong academy will hold appeal for young players and their families, even if their senior futures end up likely being elsewhere. 

Managed correctly it can be a functional income source.

Just now, Sciatika said:

I bet that's annoying them.😀

It'll certainly be annoying Football365 and their readers  and R/Soccer on Reddit as they've both relegated us twice over now . 

• Haha 2

There is a possibility, albeit a small one, that the club knows better than the journalists and the ITKs what they are doing esp. if the delay over Conor is simply to move the new contract into the 2024/5 PSR year.🤯

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

There is a possibility, albeit a small one, that the club knows better than the journalists and the ITKs what they are doing esp. if the delay over Conor is simply to move the new contract into the 2024/5 PSR year.🤯

This might also mean that some of the purchases, e.g. striker, and any or all of the sales might not happen until after the turn of the PSR year end, which I was led to believe is around the end of the month?

• Agree 1

On 06/06/2024 at 14:22, martin1905 said:

So, it was never a 50 point squad?

Oops missed this one

Up to the the little run of form in at the backend of the season when Enzo was sidelined, the squad was trending towards the low 50's mark

On 06/06/2024 at 14:41, martin1905 said:

@ROTG

It's quite a turnaround, so im curious.

According to you we have clueless owners and  'the gruesome twosome' assembling a dolly mixture squad of Championship level players.

Now you claim we should finish top 4. It's a big leap.

Its not a big leap, I am going with the flow.

As i explained before, the bag of dolly mixtures became a revelation with the end of season boost in form and achieved 64pts, therefore one would hope with all the game changes coming back from injury, Diet Pep in place and another few freebee signings winning an additional 4 games and hitting the 75pt mark should be a stroll in the park.

Can you imagine what the team might have achieved if the recruitment had been done by a DoF and their team working with the coach, rather than allowing a couple of scouts to bringing in players which were on their previous club radar list or just recruiting from their previous club.

Let see who comes and goes in this window.

Fancy a wager on the club will buy from the Championship this transfer window?

On 06/06/2024 at 08:57, Lump Of Celery said:

The problem with this is that you have to find that 50m every year for 5 years. Which would involve selling more academy graduates. Who won't have a chance of getting in the team ahead of 250m signings. It's that kind of short term ism that is about to bite us in the backside and has us selling off hotels and training grounds

Quite - how anyone can find “value” in accounting principles is beyond me. It’s just periodisation, the actual cost of each player is real. Selling academy players for below their real value while buying unproven foreign exports for more than they’re worth is a bad idea regardless of what accounting principles one uses. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Quite - how anyone can find “value” in accounting principles is beyond me. It’s just periodisation, the actual cost of each player is real. Selling academy players for below their real value while buying unproven foreign exports for more than they’re worth is a bad idea regardless of what accounting principles one uses. 

It's not complicated. Buy now, pay later is an established practice when it is necessary to overcome the artificial strictures of the regulatory environment. If the club needs to control and re-recognize its cashflow in the light of an externally imposed set of rules then amortisation of payments and the judicious sale of assets is an intelligent way of accomplishing it. What they are doing is putting their faith in their recruitment process and to that extent it is an entirely consistent, rational and reasonable strategy. The newly purchased player resources still have value and the long contract gives the club the opportunity to control, to some degree, the future realisation of that value.

When you say "below their real value" and "for more than they're worth", you are making subjective judgements, which are entirely irrelevant in understanding the "value in the accounting principles". 

That is not to say you are not entitled to that subjective judgement; of course you are. The point is that the club has its own view of its playing assets and its own value of the incoming squad members.

I don't happen to disagree with some of your thoughts on the relative merits of our existing players, particularly Conor Gallagher (whose skills are a lot more transferable to new playing systems than the media and some of our fans assume), because his "value" to the squad goes beyond a simple assessment of his financial utility. My assessment of his merits, however is irrelevant in the understanding of the use of the accounting practices in question.

@RDCW... agree.... whatever the "book" juggling may be when a product hits the counter it is only worth what a buyer is prepared to offer... once past the aforementioned juggling a player's true value as a commodity is what is offered not what the book value say's it is.

The efforts to artificially control a Free Market issue are, to me, increasingly looking foolish and making less sense as time goes on...If RA chose to throw money at Chelsea with little or no desire for profit who's to say he shouldn't?

With the apparent moral corruption at high levels of the game creating unnecessary financial issues seems somewhat redundant.

IT'S NOT A FAIR WORLD AND NEVER HAS BEEN!  The playing fields have never been level...even handicapping in golf only makes it less one sided and for an enjoyable contest between good friends with different skill levels,,,the better player will always be the better player..sorry over simplification but manipulating "situations" never alters the reality,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Yeah but 30m what? 🤣🤣 I’d sell him for 30 potatoes and a 12 pack of Monster Zero🤣

£30m 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂💰💰💰💰💰💰

Take their hands off. When something comes up that sounds too good to be true, quite often it is.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Signing 17 year old Pedro Lima , a right back from Brazil.

Well, technically being signed by Strasbourg, but you get the idea. Makes a mockery of limiting the loans, as clubs will find a loophole, like this.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Signing 17 year old Pedro Lima , a right back from Brazil.

Well, technically being signed by Strasbourg, but you get the idea. Makes a mockery of limiting the loans, as clubs will find a loophole, like this.

I was just about to post this regarding the players we are currently being most linked with. Has Pedro Lima 100% signed for our "feeder" club? Not that it really matters much if he signs for us or them.

lineup.png

33 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I was just about to post this regarding the players we are currently being most linked with. Has Pedro Lima 100% signed for our "feeder" club? Not that it really matters much if he signs for us or them.

lineup.png

It matters hugely in terms of FFP and accounting. 

No, he hasn't signed officially. Same with William Estevao, who is all but done, and joining in July 2025

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It matters hugely in terms of FFP and accounting. 

No, he hasn't signed officially. Same with William Estevao, who is all but done, and joining in July 2025

Well, yes, obviously. I meant in the longer-term, from a pure footballing point of view. If he's good he ends up at Chelsea. If he doesn't make the grade, whether he's at Strasbourg or, for one reason or another, starts his European sojourn at Chelsea, he gets sold.

Of course, the benefit of Strasbourg is that from a visa/work permit point of view, France is far more accommodating than the UK, so he can start getting used to European styles of play earlier.

Adarabioyo in to replace Silva. If we assume Chalobah goes and Gilchrist goes on loan, Webster stays on loan as well - Is Disasi,  Fofana, Badiashile and Colwill enough cover? 

I reckon so, meaning I think we are done at centre half.  We don't need any new fullbacks and are well stocked in midfield even if Gallagher goes. 

A decent striker and a world class keeper and we are sorted in so far as we can be with a lottery ticket manager in charge. Let's hope he is as good as the media seem to think he is. 

• Like 1