Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

27 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Adarabioyo in to replace Silva. If we assume Chalobah goes and Gilchrist goes on loan, Webster stays on loan as well - Is Disasi,  Fofana, Badiashile and Colwill enough cover? 

I reckon so, meaning I think we are done at centre half.  We don't need any new fullbacks and are well stocked in midfield even if Gallagher goes. 

A decent striker and a world class keeper and we are sorted in so far as we can be with a lottery ticket manager in charge. Let's hope he is as good as the media seem to think he is. 

My dear Morgerino, I hope your coffee has cooled and that we don’t sell Trev or Conor. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Adarabioyo in to replace Silva. If we assume Chalobah goes and Gilchrist goes on loan, Webster stays on loan as well - Is Disasi,  Fofana, Badiashile and Colwill enough cover? 

I reckon so, meaning I think we are done at centre half.  We don't need any new fullbacks and are well stocked in midfield even if Gallagher goes. 

A decent striker and a world class keeper and we are sorted in so far as we can be with a lottery ticket manager in charge. Let's hope he is as good as the media seem to think he is. 

Wouldn't say no to Diogo Costa. Problem is the cost. TransferMarket have him valued at €40m, so it would probably cost around twice that to prize him out of Porto.

Neither Gallagher nor Chalobah seem predisposed to leave - even if the club accept offers - and until Fofana can show he's not only over his injury problems, but is also close to levels he showed which saw us buy him, I would suggest selling Trev would be a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Morgs said:

100% dependent on the fitness of Fofana.

4 centre backs in plenty, normally. 

Talks this morning suggesting Santos is going to be kept here next season.

A GK and a striker, and I'm happy with that. Got enough elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Is he really that good? 

Yes.

Look at the pedigree of club who are linked* with him, even compared to that of Gallagher and Chalobah

On the few occasions he was picked in his position (CB) he was excellent, and a competent option at LB if required.

*appreciate being linked isn't always entirely accurate. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes.

Look at the pedigree of club who are linked* with him, even compared to that of Gallagher and Chalobah

On the few occasions he was picked in his position (CB) he was excellent, and a competent option at LB if required.

I think you're right about him Paul.

But I remember a certain other chelsea lad who bayern wanted and were willing to pay big money for.

We kept him,loaned him out and sold him for peanuts.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I really cannot remember him ever being what I would deem " excellent " he always seems to think he's better than he actually is to me , don't get me wrong he's a good player , I'm not pretending otherwise but competent more than excellent for me . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

100% dependent on the fitness of Fofana.

Depends on the fitness of all our centre backs to be fair.

The last three seasons Badiashile has missed 47 games, Colwill 38 and Chalobah 39. 

Disasi is the only one that hasn't missed significant amounts of games over the past three seasons.

It's a massive concern.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but I really cannot remember him ever being what I would deem " excellent " he always seems to think he's better than he actually is to me , don't get me wrong he's a good player , I'm not pretending otherwise but competent more than excellent for me . 

last season he was either injured,  playing LB or LCB. He rarely played CB.  Also, Poch wasn’t the greatest coach for any defensive set up. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Miguelito07 said:

last season he was either injured,  playing LB or LCB. He rarely played CB.  Also, Poch wasn’t the greatest coach for any defensive set up. 

All of this is true . 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Regarding Colwill, I believe he has great potential and could become an excellent player. A full season alongside a top-quality centre-back would significantly aid his development. Imagine him spending a season next to someone like Terry; it would be incredibly beneficial for him.

Last season, he undoubtedly learned a lot from Silva. However, his progress was somewhat hampered by playing both as a centre-back and left-back, dealing with injuries, and partnering with various players throughout the campaign.

While I believe Colwill can advance without a top-quality centre-back partner, having one would accelerate his growth. Unfortunately, I don't think our current centre-backs can provide the extra support he needs as they're not really a level above him in terms of quality or experience.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Depends on the fitness of all our centre backs to be fair.

The last three seasons Badiashile has missed 47 games, Colwill 38 and Chalobah 39. 

Disasi is the only one that hasn't missed significant amounts of games over the past three seasons.

It's a massive concern.

That isn't good! 

4 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

My dear Morgerino, I hope your coffee has cooled and that we don’t sell Trev or Conor. 

I wholeheartedly agree. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think with Colwill you are looking at his ceiling rather than the player he is now, particularly after his injury problems. 

He's quick, good in the air, loves a tackle, great positionally and loves a physical battle, and he is left footed. COULD end up being world class, although you are spot on right, he's not there yet by any means. 

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wouldn't say no to Diogo Costa. Problem is the cost. TransferMarket have him valued at €40m, so it would probably cost around twice that to prize him out of Porto.

Neither Gallagher nor Chalobah seem predisposed to leave - even if the club accept offers - and until Fofana can show he's not only over his injury problems, but is also close to levels he showed which saw us buy him, I would suggest selling Trev would be a mistake.

Agree on Costa tbf, he is levels above Petrovic and Sanchez so is in the bracket we should be looking at.  I like Gregor Kobel at Dortmund as well. 

On 10/06/2024 at 12:06, Bob Singleton said:

I was just about to post this regarding the players we are currently being most linked with. Has Pedro Lima 100% signed for our "feeder" club? Not that it really matters much if he signs for us or them.

lineup.png

You can add Duran to that. 

It’s exhausting having to keep arguing the counterfactuals that we need experience at the club in order to do better than we have done in the last two seasons. It’s patently obvious we are not going to get any experience this summer, either in the dugout on the pitch. We model ourselves on Arsenal with Arteta, but they delivered him player after player with PL-ready experience.

Our model does not care enough about winning and is primarily a money making machine. The owners are not worried about what they’ve seen for the last two seasons, and in fact can just wave shiny new managers in front of our eyes to keep us addicted to the PR dopamine and hoping for something better.

“but we don’t know - maybe we would be even worse off if we bought experience players!” 

I am exhausted with arguing this counterfactual. I am exhausted with arguing. We shouldn’t be under any circumstances trying to sell Gallagher in the summer. And I am exhausted with the fact that I know next season is also going to be exhausting and full of turmoil because we are not getting the basic ingredients right to have a team that will be successful by our high standards.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It’s exhausting having to keep arguing the counterfactuals that we need experience at the club in order to do better than we have done in the last two seasons. It’s patently obvious we are not going to get any experience this summer, either in the dugout on the pitch. We model ourselves on Arsenal with Arteta, but they delivered him player after player with PL-ready experience.

Our model does not care enough about winning and is primarily a money making machine. The owners are not worried about what they’ve seen for the last two seasons, and in fact can just wave shiny new managers in front of our eyes to keep us addicted to the PR dopamine and hoping for something better.

“but we don’t know - maybe we would be even worse off if we bought experience players!” 

I am exhausted with arguing this counterfactual. I am exhausted with arguing. We shouldn’t be under any circumstances trying to sell Gallagher in the summer. And I am exhausted with the fact that I know next season is also going to be exhausting and full of turmoil because we are not getting the basic ingredients right to have a team that will be successful by our high standards.

It's because you're arguing with the wrong people.

Chelsea fc , Winstanley, Stewart , Boehley etc literally don't care what you think . 

We're consumers of their product , nothing more .

• Agree 2

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I saw a conspiracy theory of sorts on Twitter..........can 2 clubs falsely inflate transfer values, to get over FFP (in the short term)?

Example. Club A wants to sell a player X to Club B and Club B wants to sell a player Y to Club A. Let's also, to make it less complicated that both players are academy players, or were signed on free transfers (eg they are being sold for pure accounting profit)

Both clubs agree privately that X is worth 30m, and Y is worth 20m. Both clubs have a financial shortfall that needs correcting by 30 June. Acknowledging there is 10m differential in their values, it could be in their respective interests that X is bought/sold for 60m, and Y is bought/sold 50m

Club A get +60m in this financial year. they then have a 50m transfer outgoing, that they can spread over 5 years. 

Club B get +50m in this financial year. they then have a 60m transfer outgoing, that they can spread over 5 years. 

I have taken a fairly extreme example, where I have falsely boosted their values by 30m and I am sure it would raise a red flag, but imagine it was an extra 10m or 15m? How do you prove a true value? A player is worth what another club is willing to pay. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Base, fundamental and unavoidable truth...they've taken us from Champions League winners to Conference League qualifiers. Via one billion of transfer fees.

Their incompetence, degrees of arrogance and disconnect with the clubs fans (not the tourist, consumers they want) should not be up for debate. You'd have to be extremely naive to argue otherwise. 

As for the mission....it's commodity trading of players pure and simple. Silverware a looooong way distent to their financier motives.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Chelsea fc , Winstanley, Stewart , Boehley etc literally don't care what you think . 

Helps some to flag this and talk to their fellow fans. Quite scary what this mob have done and are capable of.

And absolutely spot on re consumers. My inclination to battle for tickets ...and in some cases I'm ashamed to say, join the band of Muppet tourists paying way over the odds is on the floor.

Non League with mates and my lad for the majority. Or failing that a dirty big points deduction, relegation and get rid of these clowns....and the consumers. 

Moaning Minnie I know but it's startling what has happened on and off the pitch.

59 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I take your point Mark, but they care enough about shaping fan opinion to pump out bucketloads of PR in a way we never did under Roman.

56 minutes ago, patThenevin said:

Their incompetence, degrees of arrogance and disconnect with the clubs fans (not the tourist, consumers they want) should not be up for debate. You'd have to be extremely naive to argue otherwise. 

As for the mission....it's commodity trading of players pure and simple. Silverware a looooong way distent to their financier motives.

The thing that concerns me most is not that they are incompetent, but actually that they are competent in delivering a model that will make us somewhat successful, still a top four/top six club, but never the winning machine we once were. And yes, we know "It's been years since we competed for the league under Roman" (exhausted with that argument too).

The fact of the matter is - they are clearly competent in picking out players who are young, long-term, low wage assets. Okay they've blown way too much money on some, especially early on, but in general now the model is working at picking up players in the 30-40 million pound bracket (Palmer, Gusto, Jackson, Madueke etc.) who represent value for money.

Duran will likely fit into that category. Add to that the 17 year olds we are buying who look like they will be solid investments. Excite the fanbase, keep them apathetic. But when are we ever going to add to this eye for talent with experienced, top-of-their-industry professionals that we need to truly be the best in class? We won't - our model doesn't require it.

Edited by Max Fowler