Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

As an aside I do like what I've seen of Jhon Duran so wouldn't be too concerned if we do sign him , he's definitely got a goal in him. 

I'm not sure if it would justify selling Gallagher but ...if he won't sign maybe we have to make the best of it? 

(not saying he won't sign as we don't actually know what's going on yet)

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

As an aside I do like what I've seen of Jhon Duran so wouldn't be too concerned if we do sign him , he's definitely got a goal in him. 

I'm not sure if it would justify selling Gallagher but ...if he won't sign maybe we have to make the best of it? 

Do you think his first name was a typo on the birth certificate?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Our model does not care enough about winning and is primarily a money making machine. The owners are not worried about what they’ve seen for the last two seasons, and in fact can just wave shiny new managers in front of our eyes to keep us addicted to the PR dopamine and hoping for something better.

TB is a genuine sports fan so i am sure he wants us to be successful on the putch. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the authority to run the club the way Roman did. TB is simply outnumbered by those who are only in it for the money. 

We have to accept that there aren't anymore mega wealthy owners out there like Roman. From here on in, it's either grubby, money mad American consortiums or the even worse choice of human rights abusing Oil states.😟

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

TB is a genuine sports fan so i am sure he wants us to be successful on the putch. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the authority to run the club the way Roman did. TB is simply outnumbered by those who are only in it for the money. 

We have to accept that there aren't anymore mega wealthy owners out there like Roman. From here on in, it's either grubby, money mad American consortiums or the even worse choice of human rights abusing Oil states.😟

They all want us to be successful on the pitch, I'll accept perhaps TB more than most. 

The issue is the incentives are not properly aligned. They want us to win but they also are dead set on implementing a particular model to get there which will very likely deliver them sustainable returns without requiring us to ever get close to being the best team in the country once more.

The question will always be - why buy this player in his prime with expensive wages when we can reinvest into three Brazilian 17 year old and reap the rewards in 5 years time?

Some of that sounds healthy. We all want Chelsea to be sustainable and don't have Roman to bankroll us any more. But we need to realise that the time is likely never going to come when we make that jump into investing in the proven, elite players that we need to compete at the very top again.

We could very easily do that this summer. A couple of statement signings. The likes of Alverez. A top centre half. 

But we won't. We'll get the talented Olise (👍), Duran, Tosin and another similar profile and at very best compete at the edges of the top four and six again this coming season.

Edited by Max Fowler

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Read somewhere that Villa has just bought or are buying Ross Barkley. Assuming Douglas Luiz goes in this window that would be one out and two in (if you include Gallagher). Not sure Villa can afford it, unless Luiz goes for £50m. Two sets of wages.

• Agree 1

I'm not sure you know. 

Every time I have a rush of optimism it all goes the way of the pear but I DO think the squad is on the verge of being a very good team. 

Thinking devil's advocate here, but Cucu and Chillwell at left back, Gusto and James at right back, centre halves any two from Colwill, Fofana, Adarabioyo, Disasi and Badiashile, Lavia or Ugochukwu in the anchor role, Caicedo, Enzo, Santos or Casadei the two number eights, Chukwuemeka, Nkunku or Palmer at number ten, wingers Mudryk, Nkunku, Madueke or Jackson and Jackson, Nkunku and Alvarez the strikers, I truly think we are in business. You'd only really point to the left wing and the goalie as areas we need to or could realistically strengthen, and that's with Gallagher, Chalobah, Sanchez, Silva and a few others leaving. 

Seriously, I think that's a very good side there if you can add a top class left winger to replace/augment Mudryk and a world class keeper. Absolutely capable of competing for top four in my opinion.  Without wishing to sound negative, where the squad was holding us back last season I think it will be the limitations of the management not the squad that causes us issues this season. Maresca may yet end up being really good, but he isn't experienced and will make mistakes. He inherits a much better (and crucially, more mature) squad than either Potter or Poch were given. 

For all the talk of new signings, I do think a fully fit Nkunku and a fully fit Chuwuemeka do lift us considerably, especially if/when Gallagher goes. Possibly the same goes for Lavia as well if he manages to come back. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I'm not sure you know. 

Every time I have a rush of optimism it all goes the way of the pear but I DO think the squad is on the verge of being a very good team. 

Thinking devil's advocate here, but Cucu and Chillwell at left back, Gusto and James at right back, centre halves any two from Colwill, Fofana, Adarabioyo, Disasi and Badiashile, Lavia or Ugochukwu in the anchor role, Caicedo, Enzo, Santos or Casadei the two number eights, Chukwuemeka, Nkunku or Palmer at number ten, wingers Mudryk, Nkunku, Madueke or Jackson and Jackson, Nkunku and Alvarez the strikers, I truly think we are in business. You'd only really point to the left wing and the goalie as areas we need to or could realistically strengthen, and that's with Gallagher, Chalobah, Sanchez, Silva and a few others leaving. 

Seriously, I think that's a very good side there if you can add a top class left winger to replace/augment Mudryk and a world class keeper. Absolutely capable of competing for top four in my opinion.  Without wishing to sound negative, where the squad was holding us back last season I think it will be the limitations of the management not the squad that causes us issues this season. Maresca may yet end up being really good, but he isn't experienced and will make mistakes. He inherits a much better (and crucially, more mature) squad than either Potter or Poch were given. 

For all the talk of new signings, I do think a fully fit Nkunku and a fully fit Chuwuemeka do lift us considerably, especially if/when Gallagher goes. Possibly the same goes for Lavia as well if he manages to come back. 

Nobody's denying our squad is talented Morgs or that we should make top four. I could go through many of those options and point out weaknesses in key areas (GK, CB, CF - we are not signing Alvarez). It's mind blowing you think we are strong at centre-back, and you ignore the fact that many of our key players are extremely injury prone, regardless of Poch's training methods last season.

That aside - I don't want another season where we are "hoping for top four" and miss out. We are Chelsea FC FFS. We are 3-4 experienced, top quality players away from competing at the very top of the league, but will we make that step? No, because we are happy and apparently so are you with a Spursy level of mediocrity and us being the English RB Leipzig.

Edited by Max Fowler

37 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Nobody's denying our squad is talented Morgs or that we should make top four. I could go through many of those options and point out weaknesses in key areas (GK, CB, CF - we are not signing Alvarez). It's mind blowing you think we are strong at centre-back, and you ignore the fact that many of our key players are extremely injury prone, regardless of Poch's training methods last season.

That aside - I don't want another season where we are "hoping for top four" and miss out. We are Chelsea FC FFS. We are 3-4 experienced, top quality players away from competing at the very top of the league, but will we make that step? No, because we are happy and apparently so are you with a Spursy level of mediocrity and us being the English RB Leipzig.

Bit harsh mate, but points taken. 

10th season before last, scraped 6th last season, top four is a move in the right direction. It is progress. 

I hate the process cliches being banded about but like it or not it is a process and we don't have a divine right to just show up and challenge for the title. We have a young and inexperienced squad (more cliches, sorry) and it is only in exceptional circumstances where such a young side is successful. 

I will stand my ground and say that I do think (defensive frailties aside which I do acknowledge) we are a top keeper and a top striker away from being very much in the top four bracket and from there as we know, the leap to challenging is a small but significant one. Breaking into the top four is much harder and I do believe we now have the squad to do it. 

Much depends on whether Maresca sinks or swims. If he swims, we are a good bet for top four and there is enough talent in that squad to start asking questions of Arsenal and City in my opinion. We aren't there yet but there is at least progress. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

the only threat to our renewed domination is Arteta Captain Black and there's a very real threat that he'll have eaten himself before the new season kicks off. 

I'd send Captain Blue after him, but his uniform is a worrying Chitty shade of blue.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

Replace entirely and sell Mudryk for whatever you can get. That would be an upgrade. 

This guy is beyond hopeless. 

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

We have a young and inexperienced squad and it is only in exceptional circumstances where such a young side is successful. 

That's fine, but I don't know why you then don't draw the obvious conclusion that we need more experienced players. Because we just have to accept this process? Why not hold the board to account and say we need experience to be successful. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Replace entirely and sell Mudryk for whatever you can get. That would be an upgrade. 

This guy is beyond hopeless. 

Your obsession is a bit weird to be honest. 

• Like 3

Not a dig at anyone and just an aside...the term "World Class Keeper" as in "We need"seems to pop up quite often.

Not arguing for or against the need for another keeper.

Every side needs/wants a "World Class keeper"...the term says it all ,,there are very few World Class' players in any position let alone keepers..some very very good ones and good ones but nobody (except Chelsea of course) sells a proven World Class Keeper in his prime or on the edge of it,

Petr C was an inspired purchase replacing a good keeper,,that is rare !

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

That's fine, but I don't know why you then don't draw the obvious conclusion that we need more experienced players. Because we just have to accept this process? Why not hold the board to account and say we need experience to be successful. 

Haven’t we just signed an experienced CB?

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Gallagher now staying, apparently 

If true......Was he ever leaving?

Sometimes, I think, it seems possible to watch a player and feel "leaving vibes" for whatever reason,,,never got that feeling watching Conor all season through various Media proclamations at almost predictable intervals.

I hope he stays but the nature of the game is that players move on, through aging if nothing else, and the Game goes on,

It's mental really isn't it? Jhon Duran with his three first team appearances is valued at £40m by the club he cannot wait to get away from and we're "supposedly" after £50m for Gallagher , a mainstay of our team and stand in Captain for the entire season .

How about Duran plus £40m for Gallagher? 

• Like 1

@Mark Kelly;;;I.m also somewhat concerned at the reported destructive behavior of Duran as alleged by Villa fans...last thing a young squad anywhere needs is such a negative presence in the dressing room..if true shouldn't touch him with the proverbial bargepole.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Your obsession is a bit weird to be honest. 

Not really. Talking about a football player on a football forum is standard stuff. 

1 minute ago, Morgs said:

If we were bidding on Gallagher he would be an 80-90m player. As it is we are struggling to get 50m for him. 

One can only surmise it's because he only has a year left so it becomes a buyers market by default, which is why we're probably going down the player + route to try and eke some value out of the deal, that's if the rumours are true which they probably aren't.