Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

You're right Paul. It's much more likely that the board is playing 4D chess than pumping out constant PR about selling Gallagher and then realising he has forced their hand 🙄 🫠 🔫 

you think the club is the one making the noise about selling Gallagher? wow.

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Transfers only get to the bid stage when the player has long accepted a move, negotiated his salary etc. Chelsea simply haven't been allowed to get to that stage because Gallagher refuses to leave. Good on him.

Guesswork. Nobody knows what has happened behind the scenes.

All I know for sure is that media has "sold" Gallagher three times.

They also sold Colwill last summer, before he signed a contract through to 2029.

I mean I literally just said I would prefer to go for somewhat a bit older Bob.

so what are you moaning at that then?

The point here is making a proper investment in key areas that need addressing.

70m for a player who couldn't get in this England squad, whose defence looks terrible.

Good for them. 

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Yet we are not building on that at all and think we can scrape through another season adding Tosin and Duran to our existing options at CB and CF 🫠 🔫

It is June 14th.

Moreover, with regards to CB, I guess they are still hopeful on Fofana. If he comes back fit, then spending 70m on a CB is probably not needed. I can understand the desire not to spend big until they know more about his fitness. 

In attack, perhaps hopeful too getting a few more minutes out of Nkunku. Plus adding Olise. 

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

you think the club is the one making the noise about selling Gallagher? wow.

Guesswork. Nobody knows what has happened behind the scenes.

All I know for sure is that media has "sold" Gallagher three times.

They also sold Colwill last summer, before he signed a contract through to 2029.

You're just being deliberately obtuse now. Clubs tap players up long before they put a bid in. Anybody who has followed the sport for five minutes knows this. 

If a bid hasn't arrived it's because the player isn't interested in the move.

The clown directors are actively briefing through client journalists which players they want to discard. It's been happening for a year. 

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

70m for a player who couldn't get in this England squad, whose defence looks terrible.

Good for them. 

Again Paul, like I said to @Ham, it would be more fun to debate our club if there was actually some nuance those who are positive about the Clearlake project. But since everything Clearlake does is great and everything everyone else does sucks, there's not much debate to be had is there? 

I could write ten paragraphs about all the things Clearlake is doing right (tbf. I could write 100 about what they are doing wrong) but I will never get one word or peep about what they could improve from the people I am debating.

So what's the point? It's like we are living under a communist regime.

Anything against the one true opinion is dissent and we just need to be good little fans and say how great our leaders are and nothing else matters. That makes the debate no fun.

Edited by Max Fowler

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Again Paul, like I said to @Ham, it would be more fun to debate our club

what has United signing Branthwaite got to do with that?

One minute you are calling for us to sign experience players, and then next you are whining because United are signing a young CB with limited PL experience.

You can see why we are confused, no?

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

what has United signing Branthwaite got to do with that?

One minute you are calling for us to sign experience players, and then next you are whining because United are signing a young CB with limited PL experience.

You can see why we are confused, no?

As this is the Intelligent Forum, I would hope there might be enough common sense to realise two different points are being made. 

1) We need to invest heavily in quality players that upgrade our weak core 

2) We need to get more experienced players in our squad in general

Now personally, I would prefer we got someone who ticks both boxes than Braithewaite, as I stated in my original post. 

The point was - United are potentially going to invest heavily in a core area. And this is what we should be doing. Not celebrating getting free transfers or second / third choice Villa strikers.

55 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

No I wouldn't.

I was absolutely behind us getting Caicedo for example - even for 110 million.

I still think he was worth it. Great signing by the board.

That is addressing a core area of the pitch with a unique and game changing player.

Where is our game changing GK, CB, CF? Nowhere.

Our game changing CB was immediately injured and as such is hoping to be a game changing CB this season instead. £70m I think he cost, good enough for you? 

Who do you think would be a game changing CF then and where do you draw the line for value?  Osimhen? Toney? I think they both have huge question marks over their value to cost ratio personally. 

I can guarantee if we went out and bought a game changing keeper for instance the current Leicester keeper, who'd likely cost a fortune you'd be going crazy at the waste of money. 

Give us some names please Max 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

As this is the Intelligent Forum

You patronising little c*** 

Now personally, I would prefer we got someone who ticks both boxes than Braithewaite, as I stated in my original post. 

So why bring him into the conversation?

Why do you care that United are signing someone that you don't want us to sign?

Not celebrating getting free transfers or second / third choice Villa strikers.

Who is doing this?

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I'll answer your questions next time if you don't resort to this, Paul 🫡

Indicates to me we better end the conversation for now.

In fairness Max as much as I enjoy your contributions you did bring that one upon yourself a bit. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Our game changing CB was immediately injured and as such is hoping to be a game changing CB this season instead. £70m I think he cost, good enough for you? 

Who do you think would be a game changing CF then and where do you draw the line for value?  Osimhen? Toney? I think they both have huge question marks over their value to cost ratio personally. 

I can guarantee if we went out and bought a game changing keeper for instance the current Leicester keeper, who'd likely cost a fortune you'd be going crazy at the waste of money. 

Give us some names please Max 

What's the point, Mark?

Every player I have ever mentioned you call garbage. Zinchenko is garbage, Jesus is garbage, Havertz is garbage, Kovacic is garbage, Osihmen is garbage, and on and on and on...

If I thought there was going to be any value in listing them, I would - but I don't at this point.

To your other questions, of course there is a line to be drawn for value. I would love you to reflect on whether we have done that historically with the likes of Enzo, Cucurella, Mudryk, Fofana and so on, but you basically never hold the board to account, so I won't expect that of you either 🙂

I understand there is a line to be drawn and maybe Osimhen for example, is just too expensive (also injury prone). But relying on a completely injury prone Fofana who we should have never signed in the first place for that reason is not the answer (we have a similar problem with glass-knees Nkunku).

Draw the line higher than Tosin and Duran. Everyone knows these are not clear upgrades on what we currently have and therefore we are not really improving the squad.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness Max as much as I enjoy your contributions you did bring that one upon yourself a bit. 

That's fair enough, no offence taken and I like Paul, but I won't respond to name calling 🙂

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Again Paul, like I said to @Ham, it would be more fun to debate our club if there was actually some nuance those who are positive about the Clearlake project. But since everything Clearlake does is great and everything everyone else does sucks, there's not much debate to be had is there? 

Strawman on steroids 

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

What's the point, Mark?

Every player I have ever mentioned you call garbage. Zinchenko is garbage, Jesus is garbage, Havertz is garbage, Kovacic is garbage, Osihmen is garbage, and on and on and on...

If I thought there was going to be any value in listing them, I would - but I don't at this point.

To your other questions, of course there is a line to be drawn for value. I would love you to reflect on whether we have done that historically with the likes of Enzo, Cucurella, Mudryk, Fofana and so on, but you basically never hold the board to account, so I won't expect that of you either 🙂

I understand there is a line to be drawn and maybe Osimhen for example, is just too expensive (also injury prone). But relying on a completely injury prone Fofana who we should have never signed in the first place for that reason is not the answer (we have a similar problem with glass-knees Nkunku).

Draw the line higher than Tosin and Duran. Everyone knows these are not clear upgrades on what we currently have and therefore we are not really improving the squad.

I never said Jesus was garbage, I said he'd never in his entire Premier league history scored more than fourteen goals and our crap player had already got more in his first season so questioned how he was inspiring Arsenal onwards. I also said Zinchencko was average and was only in the side because Timber got injured both of these are facts not opinion. 

We have overpaid for many of our players but that doesn't mean they're rubbish, I'm certain we have more to come from Mudryk, Enzo and Fofana and they will be worth what we paid for them too. Cucurella is already a good player and was very good late on in the season. 

Omsimnen and Toney etc aren't rubbish but have different issues, Omsimnen not having Premier league experience and Toney being a 24 carat prat. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well as the international season starts we can be guaranteed of a few things.

1) Chelsea players will start to get injured in horrific numbers. I see The President has already sustained a serious ankle injury.

2) Our 5 star scouting brigade will be eyeing up players who look fab in an international shirt but look like Bakayoko in a Chelsea shirt. 

3)  Any ex Chelsea player that we sold for a pony will look like Maradona on steroids ( oh hang in, he was on steroids). 

4) Palmer will look like a sensation and Real Madrid will turn his head and we’ll sell him for 50 mill to balance the books. 

The only consolation I have is that when England arrive back at Heathrow looking a little embarrassed at our tournament, old big nose  won’t be heading to the Bridge to hang his waistcoat on our head coach door. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well as the international season starts we can be guaranteed of a few things.

1) Chelsea players will start to get injured in horrific numbers. I see The President has already sustained a serious ankle injury.

2) Our 5 star scouting brigade will be eyeing up players who look fab in an international shirt but look like Bakayoko in a Chelsea shirt. 

3)  Any ex Chelsea player that we sold for a pony will look like Maradona on steroids ( oh hang in, he was on steroids). 

4) Palmer will look like a sensation and Real Madrid will turn his head and we’ll sell him for 50 mill to balance the books. 

The only consolation I have is that when England arrive back at Heathrow looking a little embarrassed at our tournament, old big nose  won’t be heading to the Bridge to hang his waistcoat on our head coach door. 

welcome back

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I'm not being obtuse, I just don't believe every rumour out there. 

You don't have to believe rumours but you are being obtuse about clubs tapping up players prior to a move. It is standard practice and happens all the time. We've been charged and found guilty as a club for doing exactly that. 

If Gallagher was even remotely interested in a move to Villa, Spurs or whoever it'd already be in the works. The club is selling car parks and hotels to make up for its ludicrous spending over the last two years. It is plainly obvious that they are dying to sell academy players like Gallagher, Chalobah and Broja to help balance the books. 

• Agree 1

It seems to me that players will not be signed, sold or offered a new contract until after July 1st, or rather, the deal will be dated to then in the same way as Maresca and Tosin. I think Gallagher and Chalobah will stay, and I suspect they will be offered and will sign new contracts (or maybe that has already happened). I think Broja will go, and it would not surprise me if a couple of others like Hutchinson will join them. I am a little worried that W&S do not seem well-disposed toward players who joined before they did. I will be annoyed if Conor and Trevoh are sold.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Agree 3

Latest round up of all the transfer news from the Telegraph, unpayalled.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/06/14/chelsea-jhon-duran-aston-villa-ian-maatsen-transfer/

Chelsea have been given permission to discuss personal terms with Aston Villa’s Jhon Duran, with the striker’s future also key to the Midlands club signing a player from Stamford Bridge.

Telegraph Sport can reveal that as well as Conor Gallagher, Villa have enquired about left-back Ian Maatsen, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Borussia Dortmund.

Maatsen has a £35 million release clause in his contract that Dortmund are not willing to meet, which has opened the door to Villa and other interested clubs.

But Villa will only sign players from Chelsea this summer if Duran completes a move to Stamford Bridge and the west London club are currently discussing personal terms and carrying out background checks on the Colombian.

It is believed that a deal between the two clubs for Duran, which could be worth up to £40 million, is broadly agreed, but there are still hurdles to overcome.

Chelsea would want to put 20-year-old Duran on a long, incentivised contract, rather than putting him straight on big wages and they also want to be sure over his character.
Duran has a reputation of being an unusual character, although Villa sources insist he has never missed training and is not considered to be a so-called ‘bad lad’.

Villa manager Unai Emery has been forced to agree to selling Duran, whose potential is rated as being sky-high in the club, because of profit and sustainability rules that mean they must bring money in to make signings and boost the squad in readiness for a Champions League campaign.

Maatsen reached the Champions League final with Dortmund, producing a series of impressive performances, and is currently with Holland at Euro 2024.

Chelsea midfielder Gallagher is also away at the Euros with England and made it clear that he wants to concentrate on the opening game against Serbia rather than his future. Other than Villa, Tottenham Hotspur are interested in Gallagher.

Other than negotiating with Villa and Duran, Chelsea will hold more talks with Crystal Palace over their move for £60 million-rated Michael Olise.

Telegraph Sport understands the complicated clause in Olise’s contract is not only for Champions League clubs and that Chelsea are confident they will not have to pay more than any other club to land him.

Palace would prefer a straight cash transfer for Olise, although a deal with Chelsea would open up the possibility of players being sent to Selhurst Park on loan this summer.
Bayern Munich and Newcastle United have also approached Palace, but Chelsea are currently leading the race for Olise, whose brother Richard already plays for the club.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

What's the point, Mark?

Poch has set the bar, now with all the game changes back, let's see what the team can do. 

18th is when the PL fixtures are released and may well be an indicator, followed by a little jaunt to creamcakes homeland for a couple of kick abouts. One would expect with 7 week most people will have a fairly good idea where the team will finish next season. 

As for incomers, one has a feeling the pot of using targets and players from tweedledee and Tweedledum previous employers has dried up so, it will be interesting who comes in. I will stick with a player or two recruited from championship, purely because they hired a scouting mate from the championship a few months ago.

I could already claim the championship recruitment if I counted the coach. 

9 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Poch has set the bar, now with all the game changes back, let's see what the team can do. 

18th is when the PL fixtures are released and may well be an indicator, followed by a little jaunt to creamcakes homeland for a couple of kick abouts. One would expect with 7 week most people will have a fairly good idea where the team will finish next season. 

As for incomers, one has a feeling the pot of using targets and players from tweedledee and Tweedledum previous employers has dried up so, it will be interesting who comes in. I will stick with a player or two recruited from championship, purely because they hired a scouting mate from the championship a few months ago.

I could already claim the championship recruitment if I counted the coach. 

One thing I do think we'll see is a coach who coaches his system and doesn't play all the pre. Season games with one game plan before completely changing his mind and the position of the players once the season starts. 

• Agree 1

John Mcginn said:

Big Jhon is a bit nuts at times. He’s a nightmare sometimes to have in your team, but he’s got moments of quality, Okay, the second goal [an accidental chip over Alisson] was not about quality, but the first one was a top finish. We will need to try to keep his feet on the ground the next couple of days.

• Agree 1