Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

we need a player who is a bit nuts. we've become too nice 

Caicedo seems to possess a fairly sharp edge in fairness - certainly judging by a couple of the reducers he's dished out at times this season.  

Reece is big and tough, but his temper seems to be operating on a hair trigger these days.  

But you're right that some additional steel would be very welcome. Even a player that could rile our home fans up would be a big upgrade. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Latest round up of all the transfer news from the Telegraph, unpayalled.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/06/14/chelsea-jhon-duran-aston-villa-ian-maatsen-transfer/

Chelsea have been given permission to discuss personal terms with Aston Villa’s Jhon Duran, with the striker’s future also key to the Midlands club signing a player from Stamford Bridge.

Telegraph Sport can reveal that as well as Conor Gallagher, Villa have enquired about left-back Ian Maatsen, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Borussia Dortmund.

Maatsen has a £35 million release clause in his contract that Dortmund are not willing to meet, which has opened the door to Villa and other interested clubs.

But Villa will only sign players from Chelsea this summer if Duran completes a move to Stamford Bridge and the west London club are currently discussing personal terms and carrying out background checks on the Colombian.

It is believed that a deal between the two clubs for Duran, which could be worth up to £40 million, is broadly agreed, but there are still hurdles to overcome.

Chelsea would want to put 20-year-old Duran on a long, incentivised contract, rather than putting him straight on big wages and they also want to be sure over his character.
Duran has a reputation of being an unusual character, although Villa sources insist he has never missed training and is not considered to be a so-called ‘bad lad’.

Villa manager Unai Emery has been forced to agree to selling Duran, whose potential is rated as being sky-high in the club, because of profit and sustainability rules that mean they must bring money in to make signings and boost the squad in readiness for a Champions League campaign.

Maatsen reached the Champions League final with Dortmund, producing a series of impressive performances, and is currently with Holland at Euro 2024.

Chelsea midfielder Gallagher is also away at the Euros with England and made it clear that he wants to concentrate on the opening game against Serbia rather than his future. Other than Villa, Tottenham Hotspur are interested in Gallagher.

Other than negotiating with Villa and Duran, Chelsea will hold more talks with Crystal Palace over their move for £60 million-rated Michael Olise.

Telegraph Sport understands the complicated clause in Olise’s contract is not only for Champions League clubs and that Chelsea are confident they will not have to pay more than any other club to land him.

Palace would prefer a straight cash transfer for Olise, although a deal with Chelsea would open up the possibility of players being sent to Selhurst Park on loan this summer.
Bayern Munich and Newcastle United have also approached Palace, but Chelsea are currently leading the race for Olise, whose brother Richard already plays for the club.

Duran, eh. Is there something I should know? Let’s hope it’s a good reflex by the club and that he is a wild boy in the box. 

It’s a matter of feeling in this ordinary world, but let’s hope he doesn’t come undone! 

🤣✌️😉

• Haha 1

So, knowing nothing about Duran, I watched what little is available of him on YouTube. 

Can't really take a lot from it but he's a lump that looks like he's a handful, fairly quick and good in the air.

What stood out though was his finishing, so calm and composed. I love a striker that likes a side footed finish, it's an obvious trait of his and a real, elite skill to be able to get so much pace, power and precision just passing it into the net and he looks very, very good at it. 

Although it's only a handful of clips on YouTube his ability to be able to finish the way he does is extremely promising. I don't think it's that far fetched to think if he had the chances Jackosn did last year he would have scored a lot of goals, his finishing looks excellent. 

If we can't get an top level striker, and we can't  I'd happily take him to give Jackson some much needed competition and give us a different option.

Edited by martin1905
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bit of a head scratcher if you believe the media. 

Tweedledee and Tweedledum are wanting to bring Villa's No 3 or No2 striker to club and let them take in some kind of exchange, the clubs most productive Midfielder last season and a champions league finalist. 

Bizarre!

28 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Bit of a head scratcher if you believe the media. 

Tweedledee and Tweedledum are wanting to bring Villa's No 3 or No2 striker to club and let them take in some kind of exchange, the clubs most productive Midfielder last season and a champions league finalist. 

Bizarre!

All confirmed. Well done. 

Pie in their faces. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Willian Estevão Has completed his medical and is set to join Chelsea in 2025. Deal agreed is reported to be €40m plus potential €25m add on.

Let’s hope he’s as good as ‘they’ say.

Good. We need a new Willian 😁😁😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sciatika said:

It seems to me that players will not be signed, sold or offered a new contract until after July 1st, or rather, the deal will be dated to then in the same way as Maresca and Tosin. I think Gallagher and Chalobah will stay, and I suspect they will be offered and will sign new contracts (or maybe that has already happened). I think Broja will go, and it would not surprise me if a couple of others like Hutchinson will join them. I am a little worried that W&S do not seem well-disposed toward players who joined before they did. I will be annoyed if Conor and Trevoh are sold.

They're not and it's because they cannot claim credit for those players. So they would rather spend 50m on a child from Brazil instead of giving somebody like Tyrique George an opportunity. Reece, Mount, Gallagher, Chalobah, Hudson-Odoi etc. would have never broke through under these guys. The academy is there to fund their transfers. 

Edited by Bison

13 hours ago, martin1905 said:

So, knowing nothing about Duran, I watched what little is available of him on YouTube. 

[Snipped for brevity]

The thing I noticed most about him was - a bit like Hasselbaink - there's so much power in his shot from very little back lift. Jackson misses chances, not just because he sometimes hesitates or takes the wrong option, but because he gives the defender that extra half second before pulling the trigger.

Both seem to enjoy physical battles. Both are happy to lead the press. If we had both, I can see opponents losing the will to live as one gets taken off after, say, 60 minutes only to be replaced by the other.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Bison said:

They're not and it's because they cannot claim credit for those players. So they would rather spend 50m on a child from Brazil instead of giving somebody like Tyrique George an opportunity. Reece, Mount, Gallagher, Chalobah, Hudson-Odoi etc. would have never broke through under these guys. The academy is there to fund their transfers. 

Gallagher DID breakthrough under these guys. And Colwill says hello.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asvaberg said:

The one we had achieved 234 appearances and gave us 37 goals, so yes 😁

Who was also crap as much as he was good (imo). But decent overall, no more than that imo. 

Eidur and Tore-Andre Flo, however…🫶🏻✌️💯

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

The thing I noticed most about him was - a bit like Hasselbaink - there's so much power in his shot from very little back lift. Jackson misses chances, not just because he sometimes hesitates or takes the wrong option, but because he gives the defender that extra half second before pulling the trigger.

Both seem to enjoy physical battles. Both are happy to lead the press. If we had both, I can see opponents losing the will to live as one gets taken off after, say, 60 minutes only to be replaced by the other.

Jimmy generated all his power through his follow-through rather than the back lift. He had incredible venom in his strike! I haven't seen anything of Duran, but if he generates that kind of power he will score goals! The low back lift means you get your shot off more quickly, but I suspect that powerful follow through is probably innate, rather than coached.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Who was also crap as much as he was good (imo). But decent overall, no more than that imo. 

Eidur and Tore-Andre Flo, however…🫶🏻✌️💯

I can't agree with that! He had a poor season at the end of his tenure here, but there was at least one season when he carried us to an almost Hazardesque degree. Watching him for Fulham, he's probably their best attacker!

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I actually think the old one could still do a job for us !

He was incredibly good last season. Insane fitness levels. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Gallagher DID breakthrough under these guys. And Colwill says hello.

Gallagher was integrated into the team long before Winstanley and Stewart were in post. And they've been trying to get rid of him ever since. 

Funnily enough, the club's favourite group of client journalists are today reporting a 65m deal has been agreed for a 16 year old Brazilian. If you think the sporting directors are even remotely interested in creating a pathway for the best academy players to prosper in the first team then I have a bridge to sell you.

25 minutes ago, Bison said:

Gallagher was integrated into the team long before Winstanley and Stewart were in post. And they've been trying to get rid of him ever since. 

Funnily enough, the club's favourite group of client journalists are today reporting a 65m deal has been agreed for a 16 year old Brazilian. If you think the sporting directors are even remotely interested in creating a pathway for the best academy players to prosper in the first team then I have a bridge to sell you.

“Final payment structure for Estêvão Willian will be £33.8 million guaranteed, £16.9 million in easy add ons and £4.2 million in difficult add ons, total: £54.9 million,” according to Fabrizio Romano... so not quite the 65m you claim.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

“Final payment structure for Estêvão Willian will be £33.8 million guaranteed, £16.9 million in easy add ons and £4.2 million in difficult add ons, total: £54.9 million,” according to Fabrizio Romano... so not quite the 65m you claim.

Oh OK guess that makes it alright then, only the £55m for a 16 year old with fewer than 15 senior games played for his club. They must have found another hotel down the back of the sofa that can be sold.

(The deal was initially reported reported in Euros btw which is where the 65m comes.) 

28 minutes ago, Bison said:

Oh OK guess that makes it alright then, only the £55m for a 16 year old with fewer than 15 senior games played for his club. They must have found another hotel down the back of the sofa that can be sold.

(The deal was initially reported reported in Euros btw which is where the 65m comes.) 

No. Actually it's £33.8m plus add ons. But keep twisting the facts if it makes you happy. It clearly does as it's rare when you don't twist the facts.

• Like 1