Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

No. Actually it's £33.8m plus add ons. But keep twisting the facts if it makes you happy. It clearly does as it's rare when you don't twist the facts.

The information you shared states 17m in easy add ons. It's a 50m plus deal for a child. You're doing the twisting here by claiming a lower transfer fee with every post. Give it a few hours and it'll be a free transfer. 

41 minutes ago, Bison said:

The information you shared states 17m in easy add ons. It's a 50m plus deal for a child. You're doing the twisting here by claiming a lower transfer fee with every post. Give it a few hours and it'll be a free transfer. 

Am I right in thinking that this is a player you've already decided you won't be liking?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bison said:

No, I'm sticking with £33.8m + add ons.

You're just showing yourself to be the truth-twister many of us know you for.  Keep digging... you're doing a fine job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Am I right in thinking that this is a player you've already decided you won't be liking?

Why would I dislike him? 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

No, I'm sticking with £33.8m + add ons.

You're just showing yourself to be the truth-twister many of us know you for.  Keep digging... you're doing a fine job!

This random animosity is hilarious.

Twisting the truth by using the figures that you've provided. Very strange but OK. 

9 hours ago, Bison said:

Does it really matter? 

People have long complained we don't get in early enough to sign talent, while in the same breath complain when we do because of the cost involved.

The truth of the matter is, if we don't look to get in early we see these players move elsewhere. Should they reach their projected levels they are likely to be well beyond our reach, if not, cost three or four times the amount without any greater guarantee they'll be successful - especially with our historic record of big money purchases.

You don't have to like it, and I agree it's a lot of money for a kid, but that's how football is these days when it comes to trying to secure talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Does it really matter? 

People have long complained we don't get in early enough to sign talent, while in the same breath complain when we do because of the cost involved.

The truth of the matter is, if we don't look to get in early we see these players move elsewhere. Should they reach their projected levels they are likely to be well beyond our reach, if not, cost three or four times the amount without any greater guarantee they'll be successful - especially with our historic record of big money purchases.

You don't have to like it, and I agree it's a lot of money for a kid, but that's how football is these days when it comes to trying to secure talent.

Sure, but £50m for a 16 year old with no meaningful experience? We are being way too aggressive buying youth these days. 

• Like 2

Let me get this out the way for @Ham
Next season:

If Reece James gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky
If Ben Chilwell gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky
If Christopher Nkunku gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky
If Wesley Fofana gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky

These players are HIGHLY INJURY PRONE.

If, like last season, we build the squad assuming that these players are going to be fit, we're in trouble again.

IT'S NOT UNLUCKY IF THEY GET INJURED. The data is in. We should EXPECT that they are going to get bad injuries.

Hence why people have reservations about Osimhen.

So why would we not have reservations about our the availability of our own CONSTANTLY INJURED PLAYERS?

(Note to @Ham and others if you are going to use these players' injuries as an excuse this coming season)

• Like 1

When will people realise that players like Jhon Duran are not being bought for their ability to improve the team? The primary reasons they are being bought is asset appreciation. We can buy a player who will in 2-5 years likely be worth more than we bought him for and he can do a job for us in the mean time.

So we can share YouTube compilations and gobble up the PR all we want, but these players are not being bought because they are the best solution to the team's problems, they are being bought because they will make the club money.

Not a bad thing at first glance, but when you realise the owners are never going to make the step into buying the best in class and can cash in buying Jhon Duran after Jhon Duran, maybe some of the mental masturbation on here will die down. 

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sure, but £50m for a 16 year old with no meaningful experience? We are being way too aggressive buying youth these days. 

Sure, it's a lot of money of course but the alternative is either missing out altogether, or paying excessively more if they move elsewhere and do well. This generally means also having to compete with other top clubs. 

As long as we're still addressing our first team needs then I'm personally not bothered by how aggressive we are with signing the best youth. Some are going to simply be assets we intend to flip later, others will have more senior roles envisioned for them. 

23 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

When will people realise that players like Jhon Duran are not being bought for their ability to improve the team? The primary reasons they are being bought is asset appreciation. We can buy a player who will in 2-5 years likely be worth more than we bought him for and he can do a job for us in the mean time.

So we can share YouTube compilations and gobble up the PR all we want, but these players are not being bought because they are the best solution to the team's problems, they are being bought because they will make the club money.

Not a bad thing at first glance, but when you realise the owners are never going to make the step into buying the best in class and can cash in buying Jhon Duran after Jhon Duran, maybe some of the mental masturbation on here will die down. 

This holds more weight when it comes to signings like say Santos, Casadei, Hutchinson, etc. Players that have relatively low and manageable cost to  initially obtain. Signing players at £40m or so, such as a Duran, aren't the type of signings we're going to try to quick flip for a few extra quid. 

The buy in is higher, the risk is higher and the likelihood of getting good return on investment is lower.

9 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

This holds more weight when it comes to signings like say Santos, Casadei, Hutchinson, etc. Players that have relatively low and manageable cost to  initially obtain. Signing players at £40m or so, such as a Duran, aren't the type of signings we're going to try to quick flip for a few extra quid. 

The buy in is higher, the risk is higher and the likelihood of getting good return on investment is lower.

It's not about "flipping for a few quid". It's also not about buying a 17 year out Brazilian who could be the next wonderkid. These are adjacent strategies.

It's about the following criteria:

• Is the player young 
  • Is the player low wage 
  • Is the player likely to retain or grow in value 

Players like Jackson or Duran can do a job for us without costing a lot. We can actually maintain a side which does okay and have assets that are profitable.

The big problem is we're never going to step up without buying the best in class, and we never will. Instead we'll cash in on the likes of Palmer in a couple of years time and repeat the model again and again and again.

We're being turned into an upmarket Brighton, the RB Leipzig of London, and yet we celebrate signing the likes of Duran because of a Youtube clip or two. Madness.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Let me get this out the way for @Ham
Next season:

If Reece James gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky
If Ben Chilwell gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky
If Christopher Nkunku gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky
If Wesley Fofana gets injured for half the season - it's not unlucky

These players are HIGHLY INJURY PRONE.

If, like last season, we build the squad assuming that these players are going to be fit, we're in trouble again.

IT'S NOT UNLUCKY IF THEY GET INJURED. The data is in. We should EXPECT that they are going to get bad injuries.

Hence why people have reservations about Osimhen.

So why would we not have reservations about our the availability of our own CONSTANTLY INJURED PLAYERS?

(Note to @Ham and others if you are going to use these players' injuries as an excuse this coming season)

Dear Captain hysterical 

If Reece James gets injured we have Malo Gusto

If Ben Chilwell gets injured we have Marc Cucurella 

If Christopher Nkunku gets injured we have Cole Palmer 

If Wes Forfana gets injured we have Tosin plus others. 

Try and keep up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Dear Captain hysterical 

If Reece James gets injured we have Malo Gusto

If Ben Chilwell gets injured we have Marc Cucurella 

If Christopher Nkunku gets injured we have Cole Palmer 

If Wes Forfana gets injured we have Tosin plus others. 

Try and keep up. 

No but that's precisely my point - all I heard from last season was "We've got 11 players injured - OMFG we're so unlucky!!! How are we this unlucky?" And the club briefing about injury after injury...

If we prepare to cover these injuries, great. If the club or the fans start moaning again about James, Chilwell and Nkunku being out. Come on lads. Who are we kidding? We KNOW it's going to happen.

And there's the absolute JOKE that James and Chilwell are our club captains 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

But that's a story for another day.

Edited by Max Fowler

20 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It's not about "flipping for a few quid". It's also not about buying a 17 year out Brazilian who could be the next wonderkid. These are adjacent strategies.

• Is the player young 
  • Is the player low wage 

Players like Jackson or Duran can do a job for us without costing a lot. We can actually maintain a side which does okay and have assets that are profitable.

The big problem is we're never going to step up without buying the best in class, and we never will. Instead we'll cash in on the likes of Palmer in a couple of years time and repeat the model again and again and again.

We're being turned into an upmarket Brighton, the RB Leipzig of London, and yet we celebrate signing the likes of Duran because of a Youtube clip or two. Madness.

You're taking a situation which is entirely hypothetical per your digression, then trying to create a defining argument that supports this as if it's happening before our eyes. There's zero, completely zero, indication we're interesting in cashing in on players like Palmer.

Certain players will, as I said before, be signed with a view to flip for profits. These will likely fall inline within a certain cost bracket, because buying high entirely shoots this process down before it begins. Others will be signed with a view that they'll have senior roles, or can maybe develop into ones. These guys are likely to come in at higher prices. With some falling somewhere between both.

If we can get a few from that lower pool to make it, great. If not, their low cost to maintain, can raise and offset present day costs via loans, which may then lead into eventual sales for profit. 

Simples.

10 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

No but that's precisely my point - all I heard from last season was "We've got 11 players injured - OMFG we're so unlucky!!! How are we this unlucky?" And the club briefing about injury after injury...

If we prepare to cover these injuries, great. If the club or the fans start moaning again about James, Chilwell and Nkunku being out. Come on lads. Who are we kidding? We KNOW it's going to happen.

And there's the absolute JOKE that James and Chilwell are our club captains 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

But that's a story for another day.

The issue with having a lot of players out and especially at the same time is the likelihood of further injuries decimating the squad and players becoming overly fatigued and losing form because they're overplayed. 

Injuries cost us last season but not half as much as having a coward as a coach who was looking out the window instead of coaching. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This forum, and thread in particular, is much less interesting when people are using it to have a pop at each other. Hopefully it calms down a bit when the window really gets going.

Sorry, are you having a pop? 

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Sorry, are you having a pop? 

I suppose I am to a degree, but just look at the last few pages of this thread. Why do any of us need to read that a poster here dislikes another on a personal level?

I think we can all disagree, even with a bit of ferocity, without that kind of crap. I've not always been above it myself, but does feel to me that it's becoming the norm rather than when things get particularly heated. 

I hope Jhon Duran boots us all up the arse as hard as he can.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I would retract that statement until the transfer window closes.  Because PSR is starting to impact all clubs and their spending powers, therefore the days of clubs spending lavish amounts on average players has more than likely gone, except where TBSD is involved.

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

This forum, and thread in particular, is much less interesting when people are using it to have a pop at each other. Hopefully it calms down a bit when the window really gets going.

I just find it quite funny, and image the person writing at the time of the insults with his/hers veins popping out of their head with anger, bashing the life out of his keyboard with their one fingered typing skills and screaming at his monitor or monitors. 😀

Edited by ROTG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

• Is the player young 
  • Is the player low wage 

Max, I come in peace, genuinely I do and also what i’m saying goes for many more than you, but yours happens to be the post I’ve picked.

I think you would get a better response to your posts and a more constructive discussion if you posted as opinion rather than fact, especially when you’re talking about things you believe will happen but haven’t happened yet.

You’re moaning about a transfer window that hasn’t even opened yet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I just find it quite funny, and image the person writing at the time of the insults with his/hers veins popping out of their head with anger, bashing the life out of his keyboard with their one fingered typing skills and screaming at his monitor or monitors. 😀

If you're going to picture me exploding with venom, I use a phone as opposed to a computer. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Aggressive and naive. They will sell Omari Hutchinson, who has just had an excellent campaign in the Championship, for far less than £50m.

This isn't even a position of need by the way. We are well stocked with left footed right wingers and are still pursuing Olise if reports are to be believed.

Just blows my mind seeing people try to justify spending 50m on a 16 year old when they couldn't name a single 16 year old player we have in the academy. 

Edited by Bison
  • Like 1