Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

I say!

They might know some about recruitment as in scouting, however neither has the education and subsequent qualifications to be given a title of sporting director or the salary of £750k per year. 

Lucky for me I wasn't talking about that then...

And Michael Emanalo says hi.

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean it really is simple folks.

If we buy a better player than we have now, our squad improves and gets more competitive. If we buy a worse player, it doesn't. Yet somehow we have duped ourselves into thinking that buying a better player will actually make the squad worse because it will hinder our current player growth.

To say otherwise is baffling and it reflects the state of apathy/delusion/denial within a minority of the fanbase.

Define "better". 

Is it "more expensive" or "fits the system?"

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why can't we get in on these deals early like teams like Wolves do. 

I'm here all week. 

We're buying Wolves' 16 year Old right back. All part of a gentleman's agreement it seems

6 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Lucky for me I wasn't talking about that then...

And Michael Emanalo says hi.

Really

What were you talking about, because it seemed you put my name and Tweedledee and Tweedledum in the same sentence. 

As for Emenalo, he earned have a coin whilst at the club unlike to lazy jokers filling that position now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean it really is simple folks.

If we buy a better player than we have now, our squad improves and gets more competitive. If we buy a worse player, it doesn't. Yet somehow we have duped ourselves into thinking that buying a better player will actually make the squad worse because it will hinder our current player growth.

To say otherwise is baffling and it reflects the state of apathy/delusion/denial within a minority of the fanbase.

Better on paper (or the pitch really) doesn't necessarily translate to better on field for us.

We've seen in on countless occasions, be it here or at other clubs, where big money transfers get made for "better players" and they go on to struggle. Whether we spend £10m on a player or £90m there's no guarantees said transfer excels either way. 

The absolute last thing we need is another Lukaku like situation, or what we had previously with the likes of Veron, Shevchenko or Torres where we ended up having to pay them to play elsewhere. 

One also has to consider what is available out there that fits the football visio. No point buying a short pacy forward like Defoe if the functionality of the team demands a bigger target man type like a Vieri or Drogba. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Better on paper (or the pitch really) doesn't necessarily translate to better on field for us.

We've seen in on countless occasions, be it here or at other clubs, where big money transfers get made for "better players" and they go on to struggle. Whether we spend £10m on a player or £90m there's no guarantees said transfer excels either way. 

The absolute last thing we need is another Lukaku like situation, or what we had previously with the likes of Veron, Shevchenko or Torres where we ended up having to pay them to play elsewhere. 

I say!

more clogging of the previous regime on expensive failures, without any reference to the wasted money spent by the current regime. 

The only reason some of the current expensive misfits are not being loaned out is because it to early in their alleged project and its easier to save face by replacing the coach with another yes man who's part of his employment contract is to accommodate all misfits into the squad regardless of how useless they are.

Edited by ROTG

58 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I say!

more clogging of the previous regime on expensive failures, without any reference to the wasted money spent by the current regime. 

The only reason some of the current expensive misfits are not being loaned out is because it to early in their alleged project and its easier to save face by replacing the coach with another yes man who's part of his employment contract is to accommodate all misfits into the squad regardless of how useless they are.

It still remains to see whether the squad has expensive misfits purchased by the current owners in it.  

Let's at least give them another season. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why are we wasting our money on rubbish? 

I just don't understand why we don't wait until he's a bit older, has established himself at another European side and then pay 4x the fee we're going to be paying now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Just to give ROTG something to type about I would think 😉

I say,

well hellooo 

Little berty has popped his head above the parapet 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ham said:

It still remains to see whether the squad has expensive misfits purchased by the current owners in it.  

Only cole Palmer should be judged after two seasons, the rest can only be judged on who they used to play for or who they were linked with.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ham said:

The generosity of time being afforded to the expensive misfits might be why they aren't being identified as expensive misfits. There is very clearly at least one in the squad (Mudryk), and a few more there's room for debate around given injuries and circumstance (Fofana, Sterling, Fernández).

You don't have to be a £90m signing to be expensive. You just have to be signed for much, much more than you're worth.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The generosity of time being afforded to the expensive misfits might be why they aren't being identified as expensive misfits. There is very clearly at least one in the squad (Mudryk), and a few more there's room for debate around given injuries and circumstance (Fofana, Sterling, Fernández).

You don't have to be a £90m signing to be expensive. You just have to be signed for much, much more than you're worth.

You also don't need to be a dud to not do well at a particular club , Look at Fabregas , potless at Arsenal , comes to Chelsea and wins everything . 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

Only cole Palmer should be judged after two seasons, the rest can only be judged on who they used to play for or who they were linked with.

I Say!

I more the case that you are the one moving goal posts on the teams performances.  

Well the bench mark is there from last season for how the squad, individual player, the game changers coming back from injury and the new coach. 

Who will you be blaming should Palmer is not as prolific hitting the onion bag and performances are not quite at the as level next season?

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I Say!

I more the case that you are the one moving goal posts on the teams performances.  

Well the bench mark is there from last season for how the squad, individual player, the game changers coming back from injury and the new coach. 

Who will you be blaming should Palmer is not as prolific hitting the onion bag and performances are not quite at the as level next season?

What goal posts have I moved?

I've been completely consistent with what I expected from Poch and the new man. I haven't and won't set any imaginary points targets or claimed any player should be doing anything specific. We are a young team with yet another new manager and all I have said I want is to see a manger who has a way of playing, a system, a style, a philosophy and knows how to implement it on the training pitch. With that then performances, both individual and the teams, should improve and then so to will results.

I don't expect Palmer to be anywhere near as prolific as last season and there will be no blame attached to anyone.

58 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You also don't need to be a dud to not do well at a particular club , Look at Fabregas , potless at Arsenal , comes to Chelsea and wins everything . 😁

Fabregas was relatively highly decorated for an Arsenal player during his time there! And very, very clearly a fabulously talented footballer.

Being picky, though, I was using the specific quoted language of "expensive misfit". Sterling has clearly done the business elsewhere in his career. But he's also clearly not contributing anything like what £300k a week should buy. And someone like Mudryk has never really done the business anywhere, if we're being robust. More career appearances for Chelsea than anyone else by this point. This is his body of evidence and this is his standard. Perhaps he'd have excelled elsewhere, we'll never know. Certainly we've not been the most nurturing environment. But for the young, inexperienced players where the talent is there (Palmer, Gusto, Jackson), it has shone through to one degree or another. It's about time we see Mudryk for what he is. There was enough potential there for clubs to be interested in picking him up on a reasonable fee, and in our desperation to get one over on Arsenal we blew all those reasonable valuations out of the water. That the press and oppo fans consistently lie about exactly how expensive a disaster he is doesn't change that he is an expensive disaster.

Just now, thevelourfog said:

Fabregas was relatively highly decorated for an Arsenal player during his time there! And very, very clearly a fabulously talented footballer.

Being picky, though, I was using the specific quoted language of "expensive misfit". Sterling has clearly done the business elsewhere in his career. But he's also clearly not contributing anything like what £300k a week should buy. And someone like Mudryk has never really done the business anywhere, if we're being robust. More career appearances for Chelsea than anyone else by this point. This is his body of evidence and this is his standard. Perhaps he'd have excelled elsewhere, we'll never know. Certainly we've not been the most nurturing environment. But for the young, inexperienced players where the talent is there (Palmer, Gusto, Jackson), it has shone through to one degree or another. It's about time we see Mudryk for what he is. There was enough potential there for clubs to be interested in picking him up on a reasonable fee, and in our desperation to get one over on Arsenal we blew all those reasonable valuations out of the water. That the press and oppo fans consistently lie about exactly how expensive a disaster he is doesn't change that he is an expensive disaster.

It was a joke about Fabregas by the way !

On Mudryk I am hopeful that once we  partner him with an overlapping left back ( that's what I'd do anyway) we may actually see something , at the moment it's just hope I grant you but he certainly isn't the guy to do it all himself like Hazard which is what Pochettino seemed to want from him .  

• Like 2

There is some talk around today that Jackson might be on his bike. I'd think we would get a nice chunk of change for him? 

Question is would you be sad to see him go?

12 minutes ago, Morgs said:

There is some talk around today that Jackson might be on his bike. I'd think we would get a nice chunk of change for him? 

Behave. Really?

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Behave. Really?

TalkSport journo saying he's unhappy at Pochettino leaving and Atletico Madrid are sniffing about.

Doesn't sound substantial to me, but I can't say I'd be hugely surprised. How much more is he worth now after a year in the PL? There'd be money to be made.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

My dear Morgerino,

I think this may be a case of your coffee having cooled down a tad bit much! 🆒✌️👀