Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

Take the point @kev61, although Mason isn’t up to Luka’s standard - speaking as a long time fan of his - that will take a few years and a lot of humility. I too would like to see what Poch can make of him

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, kev61 said:

You'r putting pressure on me Chara😉.As the good book says... 'I'm just a voice in the wilderness'🤪

Ah Kev...there is a silent unheralded , no quarter asked conflict, emerging here between Ham "The Nightshift""TM copyrighted !."..and me.."The Night Crew".

There could be 'collateral damage",,,,,,,,,

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So it was Liverpool, then Arsenal and now Man United… and all including the caveat of ‘if’ Chelsea decide to sell/of Mount decides to leave’… it’s almost as if they have absolutely no idea but are planting enough stories to be able to claim they knew before anyone else.

I call bullshit!

It's also a good way to leverage clubs against each other to maximise his earning ability. 

All three clubs have a little something of their own to offer; Arsenal are on the up with a young side and based in London, Liverpool under Klopp have a footballing style that suits Mount and would allow him to play in midfield, while Man Utd are the over spenders of the group with I believe 9 players currently earning £200k or more on their books, with 4 of those earning beyond £300k per week.

He's reportedly turned down £180k pw or so under Roman's ownership, Boehly and co reportedly offered him parity with RJ at £250k pw on a 6 year deal which was turned down, then there's been the rumoured 1 year extension that was also rejected. Would just be nice to know what Mount's issue actually is here.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

It's also a good way to leverage clubs against each other to maximise his earning ability. 

All three clubs have a little something of their own to offer; Arsenal are on the up with a young side and based in London, Liverpool under Klopp have a footballing style that suits Mount and would allow him to play in midfield, while Man Utd are the over spenders of the group with I believe 9 players currently earning £200k or more on their books, with 4 of those earning beyond £300k per week.

He's reportedly turned down £180k pw or so under Roman's ownership, Boehly and co reportedly offered him parity with RJ at £250k pw on a 6 year deal which was turned down, then there's been the rumoured 1 year extension that was also rejected. Would just be nice to know what Mount's issue actually is here.

"Rumour and reportly"  is there no room for fact in your analysis?

44 minutes ago, kev61 said:

"Rumour and reportly"  is there no room for fact in your analysis?

There's no facts out there to have an opinion on, that's half the problem with this whole situation and why these terms are used when  discussing the matter.

29 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

There's no facts out there to have an opinion on, that's half the problem with this whole situation and why these terms are used when  discussing the matter.

There are "facts" all over the pitch.It takes a good manager to distinguish between a fruit bowl and a bowl of fruit.

10 minutes ago, kev61 said:

There are "facts" all over the pitch.It takes a good manager to distinguish between a fruit bowl and a bowl of fruit.

None of which has anything to do with Mount's contract situation last I checked. 

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Would just be nice to know what Mount's issue actually is here.

Everything so far indicates he doesn't want to be here which I believe has been overlooked by the fan base. It could be financial, sporting reasons (maybe doesn't believe in the project and wants out) or a number of things but I get the strong impression he wants out. 

I like Mount and believe he could be a valuable squad player but I'm not devasted at the thought of losing him. 

21 minutes ago, Bison said:

Everything so far indicates he doesn't want to be here which I believe has been overlooked by the fan base. It could be financial, sporting reasons (maybe doesn't believe in the project and wants out) or a number of things but I get the strong impression he wants out. 

I like Mount and believe he could be a valuable squad player but I'm not devasted at the thought of losing him. 

I can see the media narrative now - “evil Putin-backed Chelski letting another young English player leave”

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Well yeah, it's looking that way in a general way. I'm just more curious about the specifics than anything else. 

But in general, I feel the same way about him. I like Mount, think he's a good player when at this best, but I also don't see myself losing much sleep if he goes. We've lost better players and survived after all. 

Edited by xceleryx
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Who currently at the club is better than him in midfield?

maybe the club sell should Mason for peanuts and give Brighton a poop load of money for another one of there one season wonder midfield players?

27 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

We've lost better players and survived after all. 

Enlighten me on the midfield players with Masons age and profile the club has sold and survived

its not a trick question 

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

Every major sports news outlet / journo (Matt Law, Fabrizio, Ben Jacobs, Ornstein etc) has tweeted some sort of “update” on it today, so pretty sure there’s been some sort of briefing or leak. 

Either way, there is clearly a problem which needs resolving because losing Mason Mount would be an almighty f*ck up.

Unforgivable in fact. 

Unless.... The club under two different owners have tried hard and made him sizeable offers to secure his long-term future that he has turned down? Maybe it's down to that? 

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

If this is true then the more I hear about poch the more I like him.

I mentioned before I would have liked Mount to play in a Luka Modric type role - a role that only a super talented player with a football brain could play.

Eriksen is in the same mould -  so yes I can see it making a big difference in Mount's decision.

I would also like to see Mason Mount as an important part of the team long term.  I think many of us would.  But there's only so many lengths the club can go to here - and if he's not willing to compromise....

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

This. 

It seems like work has been done by two different ownerships to get him signed up to a deal. No one can make him sign and unless the terms he wants are made clear and actually possible, the Club is in a difficult position.  

9 hours ago, kev61 said:

If this is true then the more I hear about poch the more I like him.

I mentioned before I would have liked Mount to play in a Luka Modric type role - a role that only a super talented player with a football brain could play.

Eriksen is in the same mould -  so yes I can see it making a big difference in Mount's decision.

Only Modric and Eriksen largely played very different roles during Poch's time at Spurs. Modric played a deep midfield role not unlike Enzo has played here. Eriksen played as a wide 10 with licence to come inside and play between the lines - if Mount plays that role it would be very similar to how he was used under Tuchel.

Imagine you're Mason Mount , you're the player of the season twice in a row , you play a perfect through ball to Kai Havertz to help win the Champions League and your reward is to see a fat lummox turn up on three times your wages and demand you play the ball to him exactly where he wants it as he's come to save your Chelsea . 

No wonder he wants out.

I honestly believe the signing of Lukaku was the catalyst to the downturn we see today 

30 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Imagine you're Mason Mount , you're the player of the season twice in a row , you play a perfect through ball to Kai Havertz to help win the Champions League and your reward is to see a fat lummox turn up on three times your wages and demand you play the ball to him exactly where he wants it as he's come to save your Chelsea . 

No wonder he wants out.

I honestly believe the signing of Lukaku was the catalyst to the downturn we see today 

I think it is oversimplifying the issue to lay it solely at Lukaku's feet but he is a prime example of the issues that we had. We didn't capitalise on where we were as a club after the Champions League win for sure.

Maybe Mount was resistant to signing a new deal even then but we should have been tying down our best academy graduates to long term deals and giving them prominent roles at the club even if they weren't guaranteed starters - James, Mount, Tammy as a back up striker getting significant minutes. Maybe more could have been done to keep Christensen or Tomori interested had we acted earlier. We had a quality homegrown spine there for the taking had we really grasped it. Now we are heading a similar way to PSG who produce an incredible amount of talent but have a squad full of mercenaries who the fans can't relate to. 

Hopefully we can keep Mount and integrate Colwill and build from there. I really do think it's important.

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Who currently at the club is better than him in midfield?

maybe the club sell should Mason for peanuts and give Brighton a poop load of money for another one of there one season wonder midfield players?

Funnily enough I would take Mac Allister as a Mount replacement if the fee made sense. 

Although with Nkunku all but confirmed I think we have moved on from Mount already (Mount hasn't played a CM role regularly so should be considered an attacker). 

If we are as reported signing a midfield partner for Enzo and Pochettino's preferred formation is 4231 then this all makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Hopefully we can keep Mount and integrate Colwill and build from there. I really do think it's important.

As I understand it Mount just missed the boat when the owners decided to introduce their policy of changing the structure of contracts. Consequently he would end up earning much less than his fellow Cobham chum Reece James who had already penned a contract extension. I can see how he would be miffed as he is already on a stupidly low salary given his previous two seasons. The trouble is the owners are looking at this entirely objectively. They only see a player who has under performed this year and whom they are being told will get them a lot of money if sold. If he does leave the club he will fall into the exclusive group, along with KdB and Salah, that will be used as a stick to beat us with by the media and opposing fans for the next ten years.

Of course the alternative view, that certainly has some validity, is that one of the most heinous criticisms that has been leveled at the club this year is that the squad has lost its identity. Players like Mount, who have progressed through the system offer a way to regain that identity if we build around them. The owners have put us in the position where we are at risk of falling foul of FFP without anything tangible to show for it and now look to be in the process of stripping one of the few remaining vestiges of that identity in order to rectify the problem they themselves caused.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bison said:

Funnily enough I would take Mac Allister as a Mount replacement if the fee made sense. 

Although with Nkunku all but confirmed I think we have moved on from Mount already (Mount hasn't played a CM role regularly so should be considered an attacker). 

If we are as reported signing a midfield partner for Enzo and Pochettino's preferred formation is 4231 then this all makes sense to me. 

This. Every time I think about possible 11s for next season Mount is almost always the odd one out who I can't find a space for despite how much I like him as a player and as a bloke. Maybe this wide right Erisken-esque role is the solution - time will tell?

• Like 1